• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wanted to jump in but the lack of support for devices I really want to stream on has held me back.

I hope it grows and gets more support in the future.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Web browser version seems to be active now. Looks great, though there are lots of Criterion Collection films that aren't there... Nothing by David Cronenberg, for example. I wonder if more films will be added or if this really is a limited selection.
I managed to get it working on Alexa, and I agree. Filmstruck had a massive selection, this seems to pale in comparison.

Oct 27, 2017
There doesn't seem to be much there for me yet. Disappointingly limited at this point & unlikely to see me subscribed beyond the free month, but we'll see. Maybe it's an upload / indexing thing as speculated.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So any surround sound support? I assume I can't get it watching it on Chrome for desktop, but curious if it's in any of the apps.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Criterion Movies NOT found on Criterion Channel:

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
Barcelona
The Last Days of Disco
Kicking and Screaming
Shallow Grave
Dazed and Confused
Slacker
Blue Velvet
True Stories

These are just the films that were in my physical collection that I couldn't find online. I don't know why people were saying "Oh, they will have pretty much all the Criterion releases."

Oct 27, 2017

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
Barcelona
The Last Days of Disco
Kicking and Screaming
Shallow Grave
Dazed and Confused
Slacker
Blue Velvet
True Stories

These are just the films that were in my physical collection that I couldn't find online. I don't know why people were saying "Oh, they will have pretty much all the Criterion releases."

Yeah. I really wanted to rewatch Something Wild and refrained from buying the Blu-Ray in anticipation for this. Oh well, maybe it'll be added soon. I just noticed a ton of Wim Wenders stuff is on there already, which is nice.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the search function is still indexing or something. I was trying to add L'avventura but I had to search by Antonioni.

No problem finding Three Colors for me. Searched by series name, individual films and Kieslowski. All worked.

I'm using the iOS app.
What's your favorite color?

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
Barcelona
The Last Days of Disco
Kicking and Screaming
Shallow Grave
Dazed and Confused
Slacker
Blue Velvet
True Stories

The Before trilogy is needed badly.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
Barcelona
The Last Days of Disco
Kicking and Screaming
Shallow Grave
Dazed and Confused
Slacker
Blue Velvet
True Stories

That's pretty much all the Criterion releases if those are the only ones missing. Shrug.

Guess I'm lucky I am into older film and East Asian, all of which are there. I'd assume most of those films are hard/expensive to get streaming rights for anyway.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
Barcelona
The Last Days of Disco
Kicking and Screaming
Shallow Grave
Dazed and Confused
Slacker
Blue Velvet
True Stories

Those are licensed from more precious studios, so no surprise. Their Blue Velvet isn't out yet, so maybe that'll come. You could also add Barry Lyndon, Dr Strangelove, The Killing, and Killer's Kiss. They only have Paths of glory by Kubrick. No Wes Anderson either.

On the flipside we get not only Chungking Express and In the Mood For Love by Wong Kar-Wai, but also Happy Together and Fallen Angels, which are not in available in physical.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much all the Criterion releases if those are the only ones missing. Shrug.
No, that's just me checking my physical collection against what is online......it is not at all a complete listing. I didn't bother with listing stuff that will obviously never make it (big studio pictures like The Rock) or the films people already mentioned would be missing (every Wes Anderson movie).

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they get some more of my boys Wilder and Lubitsch on there, there's a ton for me to chew through even in the free month but I am GREEDY and WANT MORE

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, doesn't want to Chromecast to my TV via Android app :\

Hopefully this gets sorted. Getting an error message like "not available for Chromecast." Are they disabling it? There's a cast button on the app.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so fucking happy, it can't describe it. I missed being able to stream their library so damn much.

It's got all 25 Zatoichi films. That alone completely justifies the price.
This is one of the best things Criterion ever published. The complete box set of the films is among my most prized possessions.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017

Sadly, no. I get the same result as when I try any direct URL for a movie that doesn't come up in the search:

Sorry! This page could not be found. Perhaps an old or mis-linked page?

Would you like to go back or home?

Looks like Canadians are getting a second tier catalog, due to licensing rights, no doubt. I'm still excited about what's there but I'm going to think a lot harder than expected about whether to keep subscribing once the trial is over.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
They need to be clear that their streaming catalog is not the same as their physical catalog, or a lot of people will continue to be disappointed/confused.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
It sucks that it isn't their full catalog, but there is so much good stuff here, I think I'm going to be alright for a while.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Been playing around with the Roku app for the last hour. Haven't had any major issues with it and I am quite happy to have something to fill the void of Filmstruck. Gonna sit down and watch a whole film later tonight.

I am pretty disappointed that the whole collection of Criterion films isn't on there but with the constant rotation of content it shouldn't be a problem in the long run.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to get stuff like Slacker, Kicking & Screaming, or the Whit Stillman movies.

You would think, but licensing is a mess. I think Whit Stillman owns those movies?, but maybe something goes back to Warner. Slacker was MGM (think Linklater got that back). Kicking and Screaming is Lionsgate, another prickly studio. I'm hoping some of them pop up atleast for a limited time. Criterion has said any movies they license (that aren't in the permanent Collection) for the channel will be there for atleast 90 days. Maybe some of these will go that route.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
Barcelona
The Last Days of Disco
Kicking and Screaming
Shallow Grave
Dazed and Confused
Slacker
Blue Velvet
True Stories

They have a new release of Blue Velvet out in May. I imagine it may show up closer to then (or after the release).

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Some movies are now refusing to play while giving an Error 404 message on the iOS app, but not on the Apple TV. There are probably still some bugs to iron out...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
My immediate first impression: the web UI is so much smoother than Filmstruck's.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Is there a Roku channel coming? It's mentioned in all the press releases but not showing up for me.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Interview by Decider with Criterion President Peter Becker

He estimates there are near 1300 films in the Criterion Collection and around 1000 films on the channel. So you have some idea how many won't make it. But he does say they are working with various studios to license more films. He specifically mentions Bottle Rocket and how it wouldn't be feasible to make that permanent but all films are licensed for atleast 3 months and could be licensed for years. Also they talk about curation and the importance of having a niche audience.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OMG the iOS app has background audio playback! Which means... I can listen to audio commentaries all the time!

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Discovery is a big part of what they should focus on, I hope we get some tags (like JAPANESE FILMS, Decade it was made, Actors etc).
Or am I missing those?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Discovery is a big part of what they should focus on, I hope we get some tags (like JAPANESE FILMS, Decade it was made, Actors etc).
Or am I missing those?
no those dont exist

it was the same problem with filmstruck

even just a super basic "people also watched:" or "stuff like this:" would be at least kind of helpful

the collections are kind of random and you cant even go from a film to see what collections its in

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Criterion on Hulu was the best it's ever been, right? I remember they had some wildly obscure shit on there in HD that had never come out on Blu-ray.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no those dont exist

it was the same problem with filmstruck

even just a super basic "people also watched:" or "stuff like this:" would be at least kind of helpful

the collections are kind of random and you cant even go from a film to see what collections its in

Bummer, let's hope they invest the money to get that done. I would stay subscribed for the "behind the scenes" stuff alone but it's a pain in the butt to search for.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like I'm finally seeing more stuff.

Though if Canada really is getting significantly less stuff then I don't see why we should pay full price. This is definitely going to factor into my decision on whether or not to keep my subscription after the trial runs out.

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
So, it seems like I can't watch movies on the Android app. It just tells me, when trying to load the movies: "this device does not support secure video playback". Anybody else with this problem?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I was on a Samurai binge (first Kill! Then Harakiri) just the other say and decided to check Netflix and Primes Samurai sections and...it's fucking nothing. What a fucking travesty.

How is the Japanese cinema collection here? Pretty extensive? Any murmuring if this service will be released in UK?

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
So, it seems like I can't watch movies on the Android app. It just tells me, when trying to load the movies: "this device does not support secure video playback". Anybody else with this problem?

Just verified, I can watch on Android. I noticed a little lock symbol on the thumbnails ar first but theyre not there anymore.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The hard subs on all non-English language movies are really pissing me off.