• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Cristiano Ronaldo will not face prosecution over allegations of sexual assault in Las Vegas 10 years ago, lawyers say.

The Clark County District Attorney's Office announced on Monday it "will decline to prosecute" a sexual assault allegation made in 2009.

The Portuguese forward was accused in September of sexually assaulting American woman Kathryn Mayorga in a hotel room in Las Vegas in June 2009 - a claim he denied.

A statement from the Clark County attorney's office said: "Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

"Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming."

The civil case is still open apparently.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Boggles the mind how this can happen if he already basically admitted it before amending it.

I guess leaks aren't considered solid because they could have been theoretically altered or something.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly disappointing. Another in a long line of men not held accountable. No wonder it takes such strength for women to come forward.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
CRapist has perhaps the greatest PR team in the planet, it's really quite something seeing absolutely nothing stick to him.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Boggles the mind how this can happen if he already basically admitted it before amending it.

I guess leaks aren't considered solid because they could have been theoretically altered or something.

His "admission" is more than likely inadmissible evidence. So you throw that right out and pretend that it doesn't exist. The prosecutor has to decide to move forward based on the remaining evidence.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Could they not have demanded that his lawyers provide the original statements he sent them? I don't understand how the law firm couldn't be legally made to hand that over.

*let me guess, client attorney privilege would prevent that?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Justice isn't blind... The rich can do whatever the fuck they want, basically.

Really feel for the victim here. She got hurt/raped, got put through all this and this is what happens.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rich people will get away with everything, but then again the only sort of proof was something which veridicity was never proven. This was the only possible outcome unless something new came up.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is a 10 year old case with only 'he says, she says' statements, so it is the only expected outcome.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing, I used to really like him too.

I hope moving forward everything he does is tainted. Everytime he tweets, post, ads, whatever he gets called a rapist by somebody.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rich people can get away with everything. Capitalism!

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Did he really outright say he raped her? I highly doubt that.

Question: "Did Ms. C ever raise her voice, scream, or yell?"

September: "She said no and stop several times."

Question: "Did Ms. C say anything after you had sexual intercourse?"

September: "Afterwards, she said: 'You asshole, you forced me. You idiot. I'm not like the others.' I said, 'I'm sorry.'"

He's changed his story now ofc

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is about the most evidence you're going get with a rape case. Full admission, she went directly to the police and got tested so none of this "why did she wait so long" business...
It's mind boggling.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why aren't his statements on raping her admissible? Seems clear cut that he admitted to raping her. But then again I see people saying that those statements were faked?

Their veradicity has never been proven AFAIK. Der Spiegel obviously claim they're the real deal (and they unearthed plenty of other true things in the same leak, so chances are they're true), while on Ronaldo's side they pointed out that it's fake, and even if it wasn't it's inadmissible as it's a private document. Whatever the case, it was obvious long ago that statement alone (true or false it may be) is not gonna be enough for anything because it's not Ronaldo's official statement: the one they submitted back in the day was different, obviously without the incriminating part. Anyone's free to interpret it as they see fit but that was never gonna be enough to seal the deal, the only realistic option was if new evidence surfaced, which didn't happen.

This time it's not even really about the "rich guy gets away with rape" thing, in these circumstances I'd argue most people would have gotten away with it as the proof is inadmissible and questionable in its nature by default. The court won't rule it admissible or believeable based on the fact alone that a lot of other stuff Der Spiegel leaked was legit. The document's legitimacy was not proven and even if it were, it's likely inadmissible in court in that state. And even assuming it all did go to court with that statement being used as evidence, they could always claim he misspoke, he misremembered, he was drunk or whatever the fuck, as they published a "corrected" version which contained the "facts" shortly after. That statement was never gonna be enough as is, other evidence was needed which obviously becomes harder and harder to obtain.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Rich man goes free without repercution, I´m shocked
fuck the world

Some of the offenders not only go free, but also get elected President. But don't worry, we have the sacrificial lambs face justice to make it seem like the system works such as Cosby, R. Kelly, and Weinstein, when in reality they are facing charges decades after their crimes began and only when they became too public and forced the hands of prosecutors.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
No, just stating that he admitted to raping her. Not sure how that is so hard to wrap your head around. Also, if you look closer, I never said he confessed.

When did I said I didn't believe his admission? I said that statement can not be used against him in court. Can you tell the difference? Did I say you said anything about he confessed? No I didn't.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When did I said I didn't believe his admission? I said that statement can not be used against him in court. Can you tell the difference? Did I said you said he confess? No I didn't.
I haven't said anything about it being admissible or not. The very first post of me was just stating that it's not a cut and dry "he said she said" case since we know he admitted to it. Whether or not that is used in court is something I don't make a call on. Only thing I have ever referred to in this thread is that he admitted to it.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I haven't said anything about it being admissible or not. The very first post of me was just stating that it's not a cut and dry "he said she said" case since we know he admitted to it. Whether or not that is used in court is something I don't make a call on. Only thing I have ever referred to in this thread is that he admitted to it.

So you point is he admitted to it? Nobody in this thread is disputing it. This thread is about the news of the prosecutor decided against pursuing further legal action.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you point is he admitted to it? Nobody in this thread is disputing it. This thread is about the news of the prosecutor decided against pursuing further legal action.
Yes, since the poster I originally commented on (which you replied to) said this was just a cut and dry "he said, she said" case which it clearly isn't/wasn't.