• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
If its anything like BDO then it will scale like a champ, fully believe they can pull it off.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird I didn't think this looked that great. I actually was more impressed with the gameplay than the graphics.
A little. There are next gen/recent PC games that look better on a micro scale, but none that look this good that are also sprawling open world except maybe Cyberpunk (hard to compare against that though).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Looks to have enough gaminess/jank/imperfections to be actual gameplay (on some monster of a PC) + way too varied/extensive a look to be a fake. Generally fakes don't show so many locations & stuff.

OP
OP
Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want games to push the envelope you have to be able to accept some jank unless you only want to play AAAA-budget Naughty Dog or Rockstar games.

I welcome jank. I was born in it, molded by it. The light of AAAA non-jank games is nothing to me but blinding!

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Black Desert is one of the best looking MMOs on the charts.

And then, you play it.

Let's just say, there's such a thing as too mindless of a grind.

I always lamented the fact that it wasn't a focused single player experience -- I felt the MMO aspect bogged down what was otherwise an incredibly beautiful world. Seriously, one of the best in the history of fantasy video games, on a purely third person audiovisual level.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If you want games to push the envelope you have to be able to accept some jank unless you only want to play AAAA-budget Naughty Dog or Rockstar games.

I welcome jank. I was born in it, molded by it. The light of AAAA non-jank games is nothing to me but blinding!
Sure, nothing wrong with some jank (unless we're talking about twitch shooters & other games/genres where responsiveness is key). Mostly just meant that the jank makes me think this is real and not some "target footage" that's basically all pre-rendered & everything flows together smoothly.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

"Pushing the envelope" and "jank" doesn't really go hand in hand though. For every nice looking hillside or character model there's a terrible animation, camera earthquake or huge framerate drop...it kind of defeats the purpose when a game both looks impressive and terrible at the same time....but then again cd project red have found success doing it so what do I know.

OP
OP
Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any better looking games in development right now?

Serious question.

There is Black Myth: Wukong

Anything else?

Star Citizen?

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I hold 0 expectation for this game, just as I do with every game. We would all be better off if games were only shown a month out from release, that way you pretty much know what you see is what you get.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So is it an MMO or not?

If it's a single player game that I can just buy, that doesn't need servers or a subscription to work, I'm in

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I hold 0 expectation for this game, just as I do with every game. We would all be better off if games were only shown a month out from release, that way you pretty much know what you see is what you get.
It will look good, probably play smooth on PC, the combat will feel great (going by Black Desert, which the combat looks to mirror). The only issue to be worried about is the story, missions, and monetization which the game design could be built around making the experience tedious for people not paying extra.

I have a feeling people are still feeling burned by Cyberpunk, but this developer made Black Desert, and to be honest, this just looks like BD2.

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
This game looks janky as hell, and it has enough pop-in and graphical jank to be considered achievable, obviously right now is likely they are super early in development but I'd say this game will end up running like shit and not looking all that great, either that or it gets a visual downgrade to make it run decent.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I love how when games get revealed with perfect FPS in trailers and amazing graphics only to get downgraded for the final release people rightly shit on them but when games get shown in their authentic actual current non optimized state they also get shit on for being 15 FPS.

wait, a game likely more than a year out isn't perfect 60fps? WTF?!?!

Oct 25, 2017
It looked janky and framey in The Game Awards trailer, but it also looked like it had a lot going on and the combat at the very least looked cool. As for how the game will actually be structured and monetized, that's the real fear

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Besides the framerate issue of the TGA Trailer, I was quite impressed with it. I found it cool that they had a lengthy trailer too.

Will it actually deliver what they show remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
BDO is by far one of the prettiest MMOs I've ever played. Only gripes I have with the game are the grind and it's enhancement system. The grind is insane (even when comparing it against other Korean MMOs) and the enhancement system which penalizes you when you fail during an attempt to enhance your weapon past a certain threshold is stupid.

If Crimson Desert rectifies those two flaws, it has the potential of being a major hit.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Did Black Desert ever get improved to not have horrific pop-in? I'm worried about that for the new game.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
bdo character creation was insane
but i dropped the game like 10 minutes after i started when i got into jp beta

i heard it's extremely grindy though, which is uncommon in korean mmos but supposedly for bdo it's one of the grindiest

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
As long as whatever online functionality won't prevent me from playing if I'm disconnected for whatever reason, I'm all for it.
If they don't have their anti cheat stuff I'd also be shocked. It messes with Steam Input and I have to run Black Desert as admin to get it to work (the stand-alone version).

If it has no anticheat, well no matter what MTX they add, the modding community or trainers will counter their gameplay design that promote buying the usual MTX stuff like carry weight increases, and stuff.

OP
OP
Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but notice that nobody has posted any next-gen games in development that looks better.....

So it must be doing something right in the looks department.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Folks, to make it simple, it's basically Genshin Impact.

You set your own adventure in your own world, but there will be online elements for pve and pvp along the way. There's story to follow just like a single player game.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Eh, it looks mindblowing. But having played a bit of BDO, and experiencing what is the most unexciting MMO I've ever tried, I just can't be excited for what I'm sure will end up being another MMO-lite.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Looks good but I will wait for reviews to let me know how the frame rate is and if it's got a lot of bugs/glitches.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I can believe those visuals considering who is making it but yeah the game looks to good to be true because we all know its gonna be a shitty, grindy ass, poorly monitized MMO.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I am glad so many of you think I am wrong and that next-gen games will look even better!
Dennis, brother, look at CP2077 maxed out with RT on Psycho. I walk around Night City and sometimes it blows my mind how good it looks. In context, this game was held back by the last-gen consoles being in the picture.

True next-gen only games are going to have stupid fidelity. One trailer I still point people toward is the EXOMECHA reveal. Yes, the game itself is just an online-only shooter, but pay attention to the asset fidelity of everything in the scenes. Not a low-res texture in sight, 8K everywhere. THAT is what next-gen only games are bringing.

We still haven't seen true next-gen yet in my opinion. Big budget endeavors are going to be ridiculous looking.

It's still a year out, at the very least, from release.

Hyperbole makes this site a fucking eyesore sometimes, I swear.
Where is the hyperbole? The combat segments of the trailer were AT BEST 15fps.

They chose to reveal it in this state, so it's fair game for people to voice skepticism as to whether they can maintain the graphical quality up to release, while improving performance to a playable level.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
So you guys are willing to go on the record and promise me that Elder Scrolls 6 will look better than this game (which a lot of you don't seem to be too impressed with) when it comes out later in the next-gen cycle?

Preparing spreadsheet with names as we speak.

Todd Howard, are you reading this?
I would wait until after the game is released before I praise its graphics.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dennis, brother, look at CP2077 maxed out with RT on Psycho. I walk around Night City and sometimes it blows my mind how good it looks. In context, this game was held back by the last-gen consoles being in the picture.

True next-gen only games are going to have stupid fidelity. One trailer I still point people toward is the EXOMECHA reveal. Yes, the game itself is just an online-only shooter, but pay attention to the asset fidelity of everything in the scenes. Not a low-res texture in sight, 8K everywhere. THAT is what next-gen only games are bringing.

We still haven't seen true next-gen yet in my opinion. Big budget endeavors are going to be ridiculous looking.

Where is the hyperbole? The combat segments of the trailer were AT BEST 15fps.

They chose to reveal it in this state, so it's fair game for people to voice skepticism as to whether they can maintain the graphical quality up to release, while improving performance to a playable level.
Games are revealed in less than ideal states literally all the time. I'll always point to God of War as an example where the studio themselves said the game was in an extremely rough, not great state just 6 months prior to release. But what do you know? The game released, looked great, and while not the "60 FPS or die!" that many wanted, it still ran perfectly fine.

Acting like the game is somehow not impressive because an early trailer was a little rough when it while nigh undoubtedly be in a much better state on release is absolutely hyperbole. You can say that the game looks impressive (it does) without acting like the game is going to release in this state.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope this game won't have terrible pop-in like Black Desert. That game is BEAUTIFUL on Remastered/ Ultra mode, but the pop-in ruins the immersion so bad.