• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks like I what I would want graphically from Elder Scrolls 6, so this is probably too good to be true, right?

Games coming out soon won't look like this, right?

I am not familiar with this developer or their track record so can they pull this off?

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well isn't Black Desert Online, the MMO, also meant to be a damn looker at times as well?

I feel they could do it.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it looks about right coming from these developers. Has some jankiness as BDO but more polished in other areas.

The character/NPC hair gives it all away.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I forgot about this game as soon as the trailer ended. There are plenty of MMOs out there that are graphically impressive, I think this will just release and be forgotten with the others of its kind.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Everything from the color scheme to the combat and how it looks just screams Korean MMO sadly, it isn't doing anything for me.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Graphics seem to be upgraded from the reveal trailer.

That we can actually watch that progress has me believe that it's more than a vertical slice. I want to see the UI etc. though, wonder if it's actually as immersive as it's presented

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean when targeting next-gen only it seems pretty on par with what I'd expect out of the first two or three years.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It was originally an MMO when announced in 2019 but seems like they've pushed back a bit of the MMO part for it to be more single player focussed.

This is pretty much it.

November 2019 announcement

Watch the official game reveal trailer for Crimson Desert, an upcoming MMORPG and the second to be brought to you by Pearl Abyss, the creators of the Black Desert franchise.

Crimson Desert is set in a fantasy world on the continent of Pywel. It has been produced since 2018 by Jason Jung, former game Design Director of RYL Online, one of South Korea's first-generation action MMORPGs. Daeil Kim, the founder of Pearl Abyss, acts as the Lead Producer and Eter Lee, former Lead Combat Designer of RYL Online, is in charge of the action combat system for the title. Crimson Desert is currently aiming for a beta test for PC & console in 2020.

While the name "Crimson Desert" was originally a region within Black Desert, Crimson Desert is in fact not a sequel, but a whole new IP. The title started as the prequel to Black Desert, but during development Pearl Abyss began to create an entirely different storyline and a whole new set of characters.

Crimson Desert does not focus on a group of glorious heroes attempting to rule the continent of Pywel, but instead centers on a host of mercenaries fighting for their lives to survive. As the main character within the first trailer for Crimson Desert, Macduff is the leader of a mercenary group with a tragic past. Distressed over his responsibilities, he must survive in the deadly lands of Pywel. Crimson Desert features both online multiplayer and single player content.

And a press release from December 2020

What is Crimson Desert? Crimson Desert is an upcoming open world action-adventure being developed by Pearl Abyss for both console and PC which will combine elements of narrative-driven single-player games with online multiplayer functionality. Built on Pearl Abyss' proprietary, next-gen engine, Crimson Desert will deliver high fidelity graphics & game features, and a highly immersive gameplay experience. A story of survival, Crimson Desert follows a group of struggling mercenaries and the many characters who cross their paths in the vast continent of Pywel. This is a world where heroes are made, but not without incredible hardship, pain and perseverance.

emphasis mine

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it looks about right coming from these developers. Has some jankiness as BDO but more polished in other areas.

The character hair gives it all away.
Yup. Instant BDO vibes from this, which isn't great in my opinion.

BDO has great combat and great character creation, but the monetization sucks, and there really isn't much to the game beyond mindlessly grinding thousands of enemies, and there's not even a decent loot system to help out there.

Also, the game honestly doesn't look all that great for how poorly it runs. So many awful awful postprocessing effects.

perineumlick

Nov 12, 2017
From what I've read it's no longer an MMO and has become an open world action RPG. It reminds me of Dragon's Dogma in a lot of ways, can't wait to see more!

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
More details and footage about their game can be found on their channel.

Going by Black desert, it should be feasible. Main Character is called Macduff :).

OP
OP
Dennis8K

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Youtube compression and all that, this looks like the kind of graphics I want in an open-world RPG

screenshot2020-12-231wpkdh.png

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
This game looks like I what I would want graphically from Elder Scrolls 6, so this is probably too good to be true, right?

Games coming out soon won't look like this, right?

I am not familiar with this developer or their track record so can they pull this off?

It runs at 15 fps so dont think its too good to be true

Real

Oct 28, 2017
OP, you gotta play Black Desert. Pearl Abyss can pull it off.

Don't know if/how, but I'm still wary of monetization here. Black Desert Online is a moneysuck.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
More details and footage about their game can be found on their channel.

Going by Black desert, it should be feasible. Main Character is called Macduff :).

This is a great video. Watched it the other day and I'm actually really excited for it. It kinda sounds like the game is going to be like Dragons Dogma with some multiplayer aspects.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Instant BDO vibes from this, which isn't great in my opinion.

BDO has great combat and great character creation, but the monetization sucks, and there really isn't much to the game beyond mindlessly grinding thousands of enemies, and there's not even a decent loot system to help out there.

Also, the game honestly doesn't look all that great for how poorly it runs. So many awful awful postprocessing effects.

Agreed. I hope it really is singleplayer only or at least has some kind of offline solo mode, maybe they can dial things down a little bit.

The combat will be great no doubt. BDO probably still has the best combat in a MMO.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Graphics seem to be upgraded from the reveal trailer.

That we can actually watch that progress has me believe that it's more than a vertical slice. I want to see the UI etc. though, wonder if it's actually as immersive as it's presented

Can't unsee Christopher Bale from that thumbnail.

Oct 27, 2017
BDO shows the developers can create some hefty visceral combat but the problem with that game is it's you vs 100 mindless mobs and that sort of brawler is boring. Crimson Desert seems way better in this regard

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Black Desert looked terrific back then if you had a capable PC. The single player additions have me interested

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Black Desert at launch was absolutely insane.
Then they remastered it and I couldnt believe it was an MMO.

Crimson Desert will look that good on a PC that can handle it.
The gulf between low and max on this game will likely be even more extreme than what we got from Black Desert.
If you set BDO to low....its almost like its a different game.

As for console releases.....Im not super confident it will be quite at that level at any reasonable "nextgen" resolution.

This was BDO character creator.
Better than some games bespoke characters
maxresdefault.jpg

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Looks possible. There's an odd snappiness to animations--particularly interacting with enemies--that adds that layer of video gamey jank that makes it all the more believable (as a thing that exists). Plus the game needs some optimization if the framerate is anything to go by. IQ and draw distance might be toned down later on.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder why next gen visual expectation is so low around here. Every single piece of next gen...bigger budget...media has shown a gargantuan increase in fidelity.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Yep, it will be downgraded but the combat looks solid enough, as well as the characters design. Im really curious about this game, never heard of the developer before.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Other than the FPS, that game got my interest. Kinda reminded me of Dragon Dogma, but with a much bigger world to explore.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
If it was too good to be true I don't think they'd show it running at an awful framerate?
I think it's real, but also that the gameplay itself isn't going to catch on among many others than those who already play Black Desert

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, yeah. The framerate in the trailer was abysmal. I imagine we'll get downgrades down the line so the game can actually run.
Seeing what Pearl Abyss pulled off with BDO, I would expect more optimization for better performance than scaling back visuals, but we'll see.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I think the lighting looks significantly more realistic than any other games we've seen.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem unrealistic to me. Visually it's what I would expect a Dragon's Dogma 2 look like, following on from DMC5.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
You have to hand it to asian MMOs for being able to look both interesting and generic at the same time.

It looks fine, I guess? It has this washed out aesthetic that I'm not a fan of.