• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
Looking at it I don't see exactly why this had to be changed. It looks like, from what I can tell, the game is trying to punish the player for doing it; its not trying to condone sexual assualt or anything. Unless this was an age-rating/ERSB related issue I really don't understand the change.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't news to anyone in this thread. Doesn't mean localisation changes that change intent aren't worthy of criticism.
Sure, I never argued that. But "it's different now" isn't useful or constructive criticism. If you're going to criticize it, explain why and how it negatively impacts the final product, what the actual change does that hurts the artistic merit. Again, changes, even seemingly large ones, aren't necessarily hurt artistic integrity and often trying to hard to be faithful might actually hurt artistic merit itself more than making a seemingly dramatic change because the faithful translation warps intent more. Feel free to criticize it, but actually apply real criticisms that require thought to generate and not just the lazy ass "it's different" arguement that holds absolutely zero artistic merit

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How much do you want to bet if years ago back before the newer versions released that got rid of the sex scenes, an official translation of Fate Stay Night that was exactly the same as the translations we have now of the realta nua versions we have now are people would be making these same dumb arguements about artistic intent and censoring because they got rid of dumb sex scenes despite the fact that Nasu never actually wanted to include those anyways and literally only put them in because at the time he didn't think they could sell a VN without those types of scenes

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
How much do you want to bet if years ago back before the newer versions released that got rid of the sex scenes, an official translation of Fate Stay Night that was exactly the same as the translations we have now of the realta nua versions we have now are people would be making these same dumb arguements about artistic intent and censoring because they got rid of dumb sex scenes despite the fact that Nasu never actually wanted to include those anyways and literally only put them in because at the time he didn't think they could sell a VN without those types of scenes
There's a history of all-ages versions of visual novels even domestically. Not the same thing at all.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't worth reacting to like there's a bee in your bonnet.

If it was something like the time NISA changes an Atelier character's name in English to Esty Dee for childish giggles, then sure. But this is just toning down one optional scene I'd wager most players would never see so that the protagonist doesn't uncharacteristically come off as a creep.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
tenor.gif

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
What an awful localization choice. Should have kept it as it was or removed it, changing the tone like this is really dumb.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a history of all-ages versions of visual novels even domestically. Not the same thing at all.
I'm saying if this was made before we got those versions you'd see the same complaints despite the fact that removing those things honestly made the game closer to Nasu's original vision. Which is to say no matter what artist integrity is going to be influenced by market realities and changes made don't necessarily lower said integrity and can often increase it.

In the first place, you're showing you're hypocrisy by suggesting an all ages version of a game made to be able to sell a game on consoles and bring it to a wider audience(which explicitly tend to not allow games above a certain age rating) is not compromising artistic vision but somehow making changes for the exact same reasons (to reach a wider audience and sell more) are if it's being done by someone in the west

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the problem with the "localization" argument is that often the people making said argument are projecting their values rather than the actual values of (in this case) Americans. If the depiction of sexual harassment in media here was completely taboo and flat out not done, then I could agree with that argument, but it's not, it's been depicted in countless pieces of media. I could understand if it was like Policenaughts and the character got off scot-free, but it's a literal game over after being shit on by everyone. So yeah, I'd say it's a dumb change.

Also it sounds like the player character just glares at her and there isn't any physical contact, so I don't really see the big deal.
Pretty much. As with literally every example of Nintendo editing the content of their own games in the past decade, this has very little to do with "localisation" and everything to do with an executive being fearful of a theoretical social media backlash.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What an awful localization choice. Should have kept it as it was or removed it, changing the tone like this is really dumb.
Keeping it as is would have altered the tone more than changing it. Sexual assault played for laughs isn't common in the West anymore and has aged incredibly poorly for older comedies. If the localizers wanted to keep the scene "wacky", they had to change what it was about.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
This is actually bad. The original isn't played for laughs beyond the "random" factor of being fired for being a creep, I guess. The way the female character reacts is pretty disturbing.

The scene is now written into an actual joke, complete with voice acting implying something else Instead of the game noticing what you're doing, and giving you a bad ending for it, it rewards you with an actual joke ending. They should've gotten this scene cut in the Eglish version cuz its not really appropriate to Ace Attorney something so obvious IMO.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. As with literally every example of Nintendo editing the content of their own games in the past decade, this has very little to do with "localisation" and everything to do with an executive being fearful of a theoretical social media backlash.
I'd be willing to bet a number of these changes weren't made by execs at all and were made by the localization teams who figured that keeping things as they were in the original would make the game less palatable to the audiences in their countries. Especially in a case like this it could just as easily be a change made by a single localizer who thought keeping things as they were might make certain audiences uncomfortable and disrupt their ability to enjoy the game in the way that was intended.

It's incredibly telling that for all people talk about "art" and "original vision" when it comes to toning down sexual content (especially outfits or these types of jokes) I pretty much never see those same people actually explain why or how those changes actually interfere with the artistic merit of the work. If you think localization changes hurt the game, that's fine, but explain why, don't just say it's different and leave it at that

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying if this was made before we got those versions you'd see the same complaints despite the fact that removing those things honestly made the game closer to Nasu's original vision. Which is to say no matter what artist integrity is going to be influenced by market realities and changes made don't necessarily lower said integrity and can often increase it.

In the first place, you're showing you're hypocrisy by suggesting an all ages version of a game made to be able to sell a game on consoles and bring it to a wider audience(which explicitly tend to not allow games above a certain age rating) is not compromising artistic vision but somehow making changes for the exact same reasons (to reach a wider audience and sell more) are if it's being done by someone in the west
That was done to net a Cero rating so that the games could be on console at all. The PC version still existed if people still wanted to get their rocks off to the weird mana recharge lore.

I really doubt some creepy leering that the player is rightfully punished for would've bumped this T rated game about murders up to an M.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's incredibly telling that for all people talk about "art" and "original vision" when it comes to toning down sexual content (especially outfits or these types of jokes) I pretty much never see those same people actually explain why or how those changes actually interfere with the artistic merit of the work. If you think localization changes hurt the game, that's fine, but explain why, don't just say it's different and leave it at that
It's a text-heavy ADV game. What's difficult to understand about the idea that changing the script such that the very action in the scene is changed or reframed as something entirely different alters meaning and interferes with intent?

If the devs want to give the option of the protagonist being a sex pest and being reprimanded for it, why alter or tone down that aspect of the characterisation?

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem with the "localization" argument is that often the people making said argument are projecting their values rather than the actual values of (in this case) Americans. If the depiction of sexual harassment in media here was completely taboo and flat out not done, then I could agree with that argument, but it's not, it's been depicted in countless pieces of media. I could understand if it was like Policenaughts and the character got off scot-free, but it's a literal game over after being shit on by everyone. So yeah, I'd say it's a dumb change.

Also it sounds like the player character just glares at her and there isn't any physical contact, so I don't really see the big deal.

Having only just learned about this but trying to read what's going on and navigate the minefield of heated takes in here, I feel my position currently lines up with this. Ideally, this seems like something that didn't need to be written into the game at all. Are the narrative, characters, etc. really improved by this element being in here? Maybe I might come to the conclusion that they are if I played the full game and had full context but I'm skeptical. Regardless, given that it is in the game and given that it correctly frames sexual harassment as a contemptible action deserving of condemnation and consequence I don't really get what needed to be changed here? As said above, unless the standard is "never portray sexual harassment in any context in any media ever", which is a standard we obviously don't live up to even in America, it doesn't strike me as something that needed or should've been changed by localization. Thankfully the game seems to stand well on its own and this is a minor, side element rather than some huge element of the game.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a text-heavy ADV game. What's difficult to understand about the idea that changing the script such that the very action in the scene is changed or reframed as something entirely different alters meaning and interferes with intent?

If the devs want to give the option of the protagonist being a sex pest and being reprimanded for it, why alter or tone down that aspect of the characterisation?
Being a sex pest is funny in Japan. Sure they may get "punished" but it's played off for laughs. It is no longer as funny in America. So they made it so he was still a dick, but didn't put off the audience. I think it's a bit too random, but it's such a nothing scene anyway.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is embarrassing. Some of you are really pulling the "artistic vision" card for a stupid and pointless sexual assault gag, like many games have had, particular ones from Japan around the 80s/90s? We're really going to treat the pervy groping shit in several games as some unique expression? Please, get a grip.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Altering meaning and interfering with intent aren't the same. And in the first place even if they did that doesn't necessarily hurt the artistic merit of the work. Again I take issue with the idea that different inherently means worse. I think something like Ace Attorney would've been way worse (and quite possibly died in the west tbh) if it had gone for a far more straightforward and "faithful" localization for instance because I think the localized version ends up capturing the spirit far better than a much more faithful translation would have.

I think the argument I've seen some people discuss here about how it's reprimanding players for being a perv might have merit (not having played it myself to judge how well those arguments hold up in this instance). But nine out of 10 times in this type of thread you don't see anything like that

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This thread is embarrassing. Some of you are really pulling the "artistic vision" card for a stupid and pointless sexual assault gag, like many games have had, particular ones from Japan around the 80s/90s? We're really going to treat the pervy groping shit in several games as some unique expression? Please, get a grip.
The game's a product of its time, sure. And the remake retains those aspects - so why can't the localisation?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find the idea that execs are demanding these changes to avoid social media backlash kind of hilarious given that making these changes at all, no matter how tame, literally always ends up creating social media backlash from the "censorship!!!" crowds. If they're trying to avoid backlash on social media they'd probably not make the changes at all and end up with less lol

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be willing to bet a number of these changes weren't made by execs at all and were made by the localization teams who figured that keeping things as they were in the original would make the game less palatable to the audiences in their countries. Especially in a case like this it could just as easily be a change made by a single localizer who thought keeping things as they were might make certain audiences uncomfortable and disrupt their ability to enjoy the game in the way that was intended.
I don't agree. Consistently these changes come across as executive policy being poorly applied. This actually is a particularly bad example, given what you have to do to trigger the scene (examine a specific woman's chest multiple times) and the consequences of the scene (an immediate Game Over), and I don't think there's any room to interpret it as being pro-sexual harassment. Meanwhile, the edited version has the same trigger condition, but now turns into a complete non-sequitur. As I said, this does strike me as a change made out of fear of social media backlash first and foremost.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play the game, but by how the scene was described here it doesn't seem the original was handled too badly. They could have keep it and make the localization harsher in condemning the act and be done with it, since it's very optional. Replacing in such a crude way with a bizarre bee story is wack.

And yes, videogames can be art, but they sure aren't treated as art by most of the industry or the consumers. And that is not a problem in itself, after all the user experience is still the most important aspect of a videogame.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. Consistently these changes come across as executive policy being poorly applied. This actually is a particularly bad example, given what you have to do to trigger the scene (examine a specific woman's chest multiple times) and the consequences of the scene (an immediate Game Over), and I don't think there's any room to interpret it as being pro-sexual harassment. Meanwhile, the edited version has the same trigger condition, but now turns into a complete non-sequitur. As I said, this does strike me as a change made out of fear of social media backlash first and foremost.
See my above post. If they were afraid of social media backlash then they wouldn't be changing this at all, given that making any change of this sort always leads to social media backlash anyways. As such it being a policy by execs seems kind of silly

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I find the idea that execs are demanding these changes to avoid social media backlash kind of hilarious given that making these changes at all, no matter how tame, literally always ends up creating social media backlash from the "censorship!!!" crowds. If they're trying to avoid backlash on social media they'd probably not make the changes at all and end up with less lol
I think it's pretty safe to say that if you get "backlash" from the "NO CENSORSHIP!!!!!!" crowd, you made the right choice.

Some of you folks need to reevaluate your thoughts on this. Removing sexual assault played off as a joke is more important than someone's "creative vision" from 30 years ago.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Censored Gaming video because it had more examples than Ayumi.

First of all, there shouldn't have been any triggers related to examining people in specific body parts. Examining the dead body and getting scolded for perverted thoughts when going for her skirt is something the writers decided to think about.

Second, in the Japanese version, you get fired for being a creep to Ayumi, but you wake up and it's all a dream? They should have went further and given players a flat out game over.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I kinda agree with purseowner while at the same time not actually caring because the bee thing is fucking hilarious. And please don't misunderstand me as a 'cEnSoRsHiP' guy unless we're talkin Huck Finn in school libraries.

I don't know what this game is rated or who it's aimed at--regarding localization, another example comes to mind: Yakuza 3. It was actually the developer's choice to remove those transphobic scenes (from all versions) and not just the English localization team. They could even put 'THIS PRODUCT COMES FROM A DIFFERENT TIME' before the splash screen.

That said, I don't know what this game is rated; I assumed T or M, but perhaps not. Someone asked in what culture is this OK and to be frank a lot of Japanese media from that time, even kid's stuff, did have those things. Christ, I'm reading Dragon Ball for the first time, and it's the horniest, most sex-pest thing I think I've ever encountered. I can't go a single page without someone begging the main girl for a look at her boobs or panties or copping a feel. Horny jail, you ridiculous manga artists.

Bees, boobs. It's all rock n roll to me

But on the THIRD hand I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable, adventure games have a wide, diverse audience, so again it depends who's playing this and whether it's portrayed as a bad thing, which it sounds like maybe it is? Anyway, I am literally the biggest fan of 'unfaithful' adaptations. Jelly doughnuts, hamburger ramen in L.A., the works. Fuckin hilarious

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
See my above post. If they were afraid of social media backlash then they wouldn't be changing this at all, given that making any change of this sort always leads to social media backlash anyways. As such it being a policy by execs seems kind of silly
Mate, I've seen more than enough incidents where people loudly proclaim that depiction equals endorsement when then subsequently result in negative press coverage. I could totally see executives pointing and going 'make sure that doesn't happen to us, so we don't get the negative press coverage' (especially considering Nintendo's family friendly reputation). With the edits, most of the press coverage will be 'let's praise Nintendo to Own Teh Gamerz'.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
We don't need a thread to encourage complaints about localization changes under the guise of "censorship".

Status
Not open for further replies.