• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Due to some family stuff I will be watching this either later tonight or more likely tomorrow but I turned on Shudder earlier for a minute not sure if shudder did full season drops or not (looks weekly which I prefer, especially with an anthology since it gives your brain a chance to chew on and digest the episode before watching another, and as an anthology there are no cliffhanger "need to see what happens now" excuses for binging) and saw that it's two segments with one being Grey Matter, which is awesome since a. I love the story, one of my favorite early pieces of grit from King b. Considering the legacy of the property and their repeated statements of caring about and honoring that legacy kicking it off with a King short is wildly appropriate and gives me faith that Nicotero and crew now what they are doing and can be trusted in good faith. Damn posting here is just making me anticipate it more.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
Wow what a first episode Grey Matter is okay but that story doesn't give much to work with but they made it work. The House of the Head is really really good though no spoilers but check it out it's short maybe 16 minutes but it's perfect.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even watch TV let alone subscribe to streaming services but this sounds like one way to get me in...

Creepshow 1 and 2 contained so many damn quotable things as a kid for me. Loooooong before memes.

my brother and I will still yell THANKS FOR THE RIDE, LADY when getting out of cars sometimes.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Grey Matter was really good when they were using practical effects for the first half. When they switched to CG at the end it really brought down the whole production.

House of the Head was fucking awesome. Such a fun simple concept that they really made work.

ALSO a pleasant surprise when subscribing to Shudder was that they made a third Hell House LLC movie!! So excited to finish that tonight.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Are the Creep segments any good? Does he speak or is it mainly a pantomine performance like the early Lego video games?

Also, is it me, or am I the only one disappointed that they didn't use a crude animatronic like the one in the first film?
They have been very brief. No speaking. He's just kind of there.

I enjoyed the first episode enough to give it a few more. I'm glad they're doing this as a weekly release.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Pretty mixed on it. First story was OK, second one was a slog. I really don't like how cheap the digital cinematography looks. I know a certain scuzziness fits the tone of Creepshow but this just looks really low-effort and rushed :\

I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it warms up on me.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Grey Matter was abysmal guys. I give it a 2/5 just for the monster.

House of the Head on the other hand is damn near perfect. What an incredible premise that makes the best of what I'm assuming is an incredibly low budget. The little girl was wonderful in her part, and the way the story played out had my imagination running wild. 4/5.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I think Grey Matter was perfect shlocky material, which is what lot of original Creepshow was. The 2nd story was kinda too good for Creepshow lol, it was really good. But lot of Creepshow is shlocky fun, the first movie especially dug into this.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Thoughts (from someone that has Creepshow in his top five favorite films of all time)

I love the creativity of the second one, but it ended on a flat note. It was still overall a positive way to end the first episode. Of which the first story was just weak all around, and suffered from time constraints.

Also, the missing dark-humor that was so prevalent in the original film (and in to an extent, its sequel) is sorely missed in this new series.

Finally, the Creep is presented in an incredibly awkward fashion, and utilized poorly as a "host". I don't think it works as anything more than a visual horror nicety.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So finally saw it, liked it a lot. Grey Matter took what I liked about the original King concept and played it almost note for note right until it wasn't anymore and that's a good thing. The story is one of my favorites but it ends on such a "such a creepy evil thing, but slow and immobile so we ran away." This took the concept of a human fungus to a logical and much scarier conclusion.

I also really liked House of the Head, which did the opposite, just teasing where it could go but putting pandora back in her box before it actually ratcheted up to real horror, executed brilliantly and made to make you think as good horror should do.

Quite impressed and a step up for shudder originals which I figured would happen once they started getting some traction, makes me feel a lot better about my hardcore support and constant shilling of the service, bring on the next episode!

OP
OP
thecouncil

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
The second story never got where it needed to go. I don't know why that was. It was like edging.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Wish the first ep went a bit longer, or a full ep at least. Doll house one wasn't bad.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Shudder need to sort their shit out. Said they've been working on a PS4 app for about 5 years. I likely would've subbed the entire time if they had one.
The alternative is subbing through amazon prime but that's the worst user experience on the planet.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 is up

Bad Wolf Down/The Finger. I already sorta know what Bad Wolf Down is about because it was part of the Creepshow maze at Halloween Horror Nights

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone notice in The Finger that
the paper he wrapped the finger in appeared to be a page from Father's Day from Creepshow 1?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
The first stories seem like the lesser of both episodes, but then are followed up with top quality second stories. wonder if that's how it'll be for the rest of the season. I still think about the head.

I almost want a follow up story, but the young girl is now an older woman with her own family, and the head returns to haunt her daughter.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
so what's the Era consensus after 2 episodes?

I don't understand the praise. Show is absolute dogshit ahahahah.
The first one with Esposito managed at least to be disgusting, but so derivative and boring, with a totally wasted cast.
House of the Head is the best one so far, great concept, story doesn't go in very interesting directions though.
The werewolves episode is truly fucking terrible. Stupid premise, acting was hilariously bad including Combs (what happened to you man).
DJ Qualls was OK in The Finger but the episode was still kinda meh.

I don't see how can anyone find this anything more than "so bad it's entertaining". It manages to be more hilarious than scary, and in general it just gives off a dread vibe of desolation and sadness, it feels tired and old, not in a good way old.

Wasn't Tales From The Crypt coming back as well? Hopefully that'll be decent.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I like it more than I originally did, but holy fuck this isn't at anywhere near the same level of enjoyment as the original film. Feels closer to a cheaper Tales from the Crypt, with an absolutely dreadful host.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really didn't like Bad Wolf Down, although I did have a good laugh when the soldiers got the woman to bite them. Also nice to see Kid Cudi and Jeffrey Combs in there.

I thought The Finger was great. Didn't want it to end, really. DJ Qualls was entertaining, the monster was cool, it had a level of a cheesiness I like to see in anthology horror pieces. It's easily my favorite story of the show so far.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Saw the first episode and I really dig it. I love how comicy it feels. Gray Matter reminded me of Resident Evil Revelations and The House of the Head is great if only for the little girl's acting. Looking forward to seeing all the rest.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I just signed up with Shudder. So many films I've never heard of and a lot of good recent films and classics (Really enjoyed Hell House LLC after seeing people recommend it). Can't wait to dig in to this show.

btw to save you a few bucks, they're doing a 30 day free trial (it's normally 7) if you go to try.shudder.com/amc (I think).

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
The third episode is better but still meh. The whole show just feels slightly cheap and off the mark. The concepts and general stories are good, but a lot of the sets look cheap and the acting and line-by-line writing is just below par. I'll keep watching since it's close enough to good that they could hit their mark in the future.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to need a spinoff series starring DJ Qualls and Bob immediately.

Those lil monster chirps. <3

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Episode kept up the trend of a bad first segment and a great second one, IMO. The acting in the Halloween bit was terrible, and the story was just dull. They could've done something with the flashback to give the premise more depth, but they didn't. So boring.

Loved the suitcase concept. Fun characters with believable motives, solid acting, a nice mix of humor and darkness. Loved the effects used for the guy in the suitcase. The ending is also more in line with what I want from an anthology series; something more open, without everything being explained. Keep it kinda weird. I think it's my favorite segment of the show so far.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
That second one in the newest ep is also very Tales from the Darkside in its approach to comedy/humor.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I got a month trial at NYCC and I gave the pilot a shot.

Thought Grey Matter was okay, nothing really special. But House of the Head? I thought that absolutely ROCKED. It totally sucked me in. I totally believed the plight of the kid working out divine authority with compassion but being completely in over her head. Her passion got me invested and I cared a lot more about the Smith Smiths than I thought I ever would. Which caused it to be scary!

Excellent episode, will eagerly watch the rest. I even like the comic book transition aesthetic!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like they are getting worse with each episode. Episode 2's first one was .... alright. I kinda feel they should've gone the EC Comics route with the ending, and just end it with Quist getting blown up in the mine field instead of Talby finding him. Quist thinking he was smart shit for going alone, only to get blown into chunks feels like something you'd see at the end of a story from Tales from the Crypt or Vault of Horror. Hell, ending it with the camera pulling back to reveal the sign that says "Mine Field" and transition into comic art would've been a nice nod to The Raft's reveal of the "No Swimming" sign.

The Finger felt like a more R-rated episode of the tv show Monsters (it really did, and I loved Monsters and have the DVD box set).

Episode 3's first one was unoriginal to the point I saw the twist right in the beginning and even at the conclusion, it felt like water passing through me.

The one with the man in the suitcase, urgh. That one felt like it could've been from Creepshow 3.

Still felt Gray Matter and House of the Head were the strongest segments so far, and have yet to be beat.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Creepshow 1 and 2 contained so many damn quotable things as a kid for me. Loooooong before memes.

6d00ae441daf264636aa918654604611.gif

(yes. That's the older agent from Mindhunter!)

The tone of this show doesn't look as 'fun' as those movies just based on that trailer, but the creature effects work look solid.

Cautiously optimistic.
Oh... and Adrienne Barbeau!

What the hell... Bill Tench! That's mind blowing.

Oct 27, 2017
The premier story Gray Matter was pretty weak, especially with the cast. I thought the second part of the episode section with the dollhouse was really well done though, for such a goofy concept..

It's kind of a weird show in general, the concept is really great and I hope it continues due to a lack of this type of show nowadays, but the budget is pretty obviously slim. That's not necessarily bad because it allows for more of that campy B-movie feel but I see it causing more limitations than anything as of now.

This really does feel like the second coming of Monsters, for better and worse.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't like saying "more money could fix this" but I think that may be the case here. If they insist on doing moments like (episode 3 spoiler)
when the littlest kid reveals his supposedly grisly visage
, they need to put more money into budget or do things smarter. When big bits get blown like that it's quite cringey (lol).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Two new stories were total duds once again. Second one had promise but it dragged its feet for so long and the ending was so obvious.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
For me, The Companion and the Lydia Layne one were a return to form. They feel more EC Comics-esque than last week's two stories.