• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Looks like one broke out somewhere..

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017

What an easy winner. Souls games are littered with this horrifying shit.

Jumped out of my seat when I saw this mob. Possibly had an audible gasp as the air involuntarily left my body. Not this mobtype, but this exact mob, because it's exact location is seared into my mind. I walked past it once or twice before I even saw the fucking thing. That made the entire encounter about a million times worse.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Skulltula's in Twilight Princess, at least they freaked me out more when I was younger. I think it's just the realistic art style of the game because they never really bothered me in the other games. That, and the way they just scurry towards you with those giant legs.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
fallout_3_screenshots__dancin__swampfolk_by_vincent_is_mine-d65xbmu.jpg

I guess this counts because Fallout 3 wasn't a horror game (but perhaps its dlc Point Lookout leaned a little into the genre - not for me I don't think). Out of context they look quite silly, but when you are traveling at night and you see these swampfolk dancing around a bonfire, clapping and laughing, it gets eerie.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
As a kid I was terrified from zombies. So when I play Metroid Prime 2 and this was the first enemy I stoped playing for 2 years.
latest

Also from Metroid, the Sa-X in Fusion, hearing the footsteeps was terrifying.

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
Headcrabs and headcrab zombies from half life 2. Redeads from ocarina and windwaker and strangely those rotting monks from breath of the wild even though they are not an enemy (excluding the hero of the wild quest).

Cant post pictures , at work :P

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Why the fuck are people naming the Lovecraftian Bloodborne in "not a horror game" thread?

People on this fucking forum, I swear.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
HFomuSVckorQWT4aCMkHdb-1200-80.jpg

The Dopefish.
You cannot kill it. You cannot outrun it. You cannot dodge it. It will rush at you and eat something. Your only hope is to surround yourself with enough sacrificial fish that the something it eats is not you.
The well of wishes awaits in the crypt of decay.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Does Metroid count as a horror game cause if not Metroids, fucking Metroids. Especially their creepy ass variants in Prime 2 and 3. Also this bitch.

latest

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
For shame that no one mentioned X-Com yet.

Nothing instills fear like the notice you get of a Chrysalid Mission. For those few moments, the game changes from being a tactical srpg to survival horror.

latest

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
best answer. I'm serious too!

The invisible water monster in Amnesia. It was so hard getting through this part on my first playthrough.

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_mlxqrfEBnT1qlwea0o2_500.gif
Is this a stealth humblebrag? lol.
I'm pretty sure the reason why I have mild hydropohbia is cause of 3d platformers scaring the shit outta me when I'm in the water.
Mario 64 eels
ratchet and clank fish that eat you if you are in the water for too long.
Same with jak and daxter.
banjo having clanker and the shark in the beach level.
it's also why I absolutely lose my shit when I'm being chased by enemies in games.
Gear's berzerker or the tank in l4D make me scream my ass off.