• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Creepiest David Lynch thing

• Lost Highway

Votes: 35 8.3%
  • Inland Empire

Votes: 54 12.8%
  • Eraserhead

Votes: 178 42.1%
  • Twin Peaks S1/S2/FWWM

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • Rabbits

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Twin Peaks: The Return

Votes: 46 10.9%
  • Mulholland Drive

Votes: 70 16.5%

• Total voters

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Eraserhead. It's a bad drug trip somehow put to film.

If FWWM was its own choice it would be a close call though.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Overall, it's Eraserhead, but for single moment it's gotta be the thing behind Winkie's. I shudder to think what a full blown horror film from David Lynch would look like
It wouldn't be the same, cause Lynchian horror is about having that stuff exist within really mundane places. it's not about the contrasts between cherry pie and demons but moreso the realisation that it was always hidden from view in the places and things you see everyday. It's just around the corner, hidden beneath the grass and picket fences

The Twinkie's bum is probably the best one but also how in that one Twin Peaks episode where Frank Silva was just hanging out in the corner of Mrs Palmer's room and BOB was born

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Came here to say this. I can at least try to make sense of his other creeps. This is just a straight-up nightmare.

What are the other two if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all. The other two are Nightmare on Elm Street 1 (the scene with Johnny Depp's death really messed me up and traumatized me) and The Blob 1988 (still can't watch it through to this day).

GrendelKhan

Aug 1, 2018
twin-peaks.gif

This image still lives in my mind. That and Cooper in the mirror (How's Annie).

I mean BOB and the doppelgängers? It doesn't get any scary than that. The Black Lodge is the creepiest fucking thing committed to any medium ever.

Lost Highway is a close second for me. I remember Bill Pullman was on Conan promoting the film and they played the phone clip. Definitely had trouble going to sleep that night.

I don't get people saying the Mullholand Drive scene. It's good for a jump scare, but in my opinion is really goofy looking.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Mystery Man:
We've met before, haven't we.

Fred Madison:
I don't think so. Where was it you think we met?

Mystery Man:
At your house. Don't you remember?

Fred Madison:
No. No, I don't. Are you sure?

Mystery Man:
Of course.
As a matter of fact,

I'm

there

right

now.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I don't really have a creepiest moment. Not a single moment.

My "creepiest moment is Dale Cooper's mind being forced into a tupla that for a long time he cannot truly control.

That you can watch through an extract replica of you and watch them act unlike you is a terrifying thought to me.

Add to that BOB is controlling Cope's actual body and it makes it even worse. Both his physical body and his mind are without agency.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Yep. Nothing touches this.

It's also not just the baby, it's the… everything. The soundscape, the surrealist nonsense where every scene invites interpretation and the bizarre and horrifying jumps to relative normalcy, where you have the chance as a view to anchor yourself, before then snapping you back to something truly hideous.

Eraserhead is the closest movie I've seen to a nightmare come to life. And it's one of a small handful of movies I've seen that genuinely feels disturbing and even almost oppressive to watch, which I have to admire cause that's what it was setting out to do. As a technical achievement and if the ultimate goal of art is to evoke a lasting emotional reaction in the audience, it might actually be the greatest movie ever made, cause it's maybe the only fairly prominent one at least that I've seen that I'm in no hurry to rewatch.

undefined

Jan 3, 2021
I watched all the Twin Peaks stuff, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet and imo Eraserhead is the most unsettling one due to the body horror and the weird way everybody behaves

Ofc Twin Peaks & Blue Velvet have some scenes of actual violence and that was more unsettling than the surreal stuff to me as they get kinda too atmospheric dunno. Now to think of it Twin Peaks' season 2 and 3 endings are specially haunting too.

Gonna eventually watch other stuff people mentioned

the-giant-twin-peaks-253aefec-d89b-49c4-acbf-3a01746cf2e-resize-750.jpeg

sometimes I just search for this to look at it. It just unsettles me from head to toe. The angle, lighting, bone structure on this man. All engineered to heebie my jeebies.
Interesting, it just seemed like he was a well-intentioned messenger to me

Last edited:

grang

Nov 13, 2017
vimeo.com

Club Silencio ~ Mulholland Dr. (2001)

Mulholland Dr. (2001) ...The two women have sex that night and awake at 2 a.m., when Rita insists they go to an eerie theater called Club Silencio. On stage, a…

Specifically 9:20 to the end, how Betty just disappears...the meek "donde estas?" kills me every time

Dec 30, 2020
This bit from Mulholland Drive always upsets my brain in a lot of ways.

Gx7I.gif

And then later when they're crawling under the door.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Don't mind at all. The other two are Nightmare on Elm Street 1 (the scene with Johnny Depp's death really messed me up and traumatized me) and The Blob 1988 (still can't watch it through to this day).

I agree with Nightmare 1. Haven't seen The Blob and I'm in a "lose sleep over scares" mood so I'm checking this out tonight. Thank you for sharing!