• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
I live in the UK so we tend to go by the actual contents of your credit history and not simply on a number though more and more credit companies are trying to make the number on your file the be all and end of all of your credit with their smiley face and 'EXCELLENT JOB ON YOUR 945 SCORE!, CAN IT GO HIGHER?!".

But over the last few months I've had so many issues with different agencies like Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. Here are two examples of issues I've had that show up as big red marks on my report...

Name - My (not real) name is John Smith. TransUnion have it as John Steven Smith. Where that Steven came from, I have no idea! Been trying to get them to sort it for ages but I'm getting nowhere with their customer support who keep telling me I need to send them a deed poll to change my name. Even though I haven't changed it! Even sent a photo of my passport but that wasn't enough.

An telecoms account was made in my name. That's bad since it wasn't me. Spoke to the telecoms company in question who confirmed there was no account in my name with them. Ok, so I contact Equifax who say "That's the information we were given, we can't change it unless the company change it" but the telecoms company say they can't tell Equifax that I don't have an account with them! So it's a back and forth between them trying to sort it out.

Also, one of my reports has a section that reads that there are 3 big red marks on my report that only showed up last month. Does it tell me what they are? Does it bollocks. I've E-mailed them and was told they are from 5 years ago. Fair enough, I was in a bad place financially back then but why did they suddenly appear last month? Couldn't tell me. Great.

I realise this is more of a venting thread but fuck me, these things can be stressful. My whole financial life is run by 3 different companies that have 3 different ways of showing information, 3 different ways of raising disputes and all have different information. Some have my phone contract, some don't. Some say my credit is perfect, some say it's abysmal and I should be ashamed of my tiny score for babies but with their help (and £14.99 a month) I can improve my score in no time!

I understand the need for credit reports but why does it have to be all these companies that have varying information on me? Stuff like this should be taught in school. I'm 28 and I'm still not sure I understand it all. All I wanted was a bloody washing machine.

Thank you for reading my rant.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Them having your wrong name is a problem beyond credit scores. That's a weird situation. Sorry to hear.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
This is sadly why everyone needs a unique, trackable identifier of some sort for their financial transactions.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i'm pretty happy that the entire year i didnt pay my student loan bills and the two years where i was late on credit card payments every other month fell off my history lately, now i am excellent, as determined mathematically by credit agencies

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a terrible system that should be abolished.
Not every country has this garbage and I think on the whole we are waaaaaaaaaay better without this crap.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It was great when my wife and I finally got excellent credit, applied to refinance our house, and got docked points for the bank checking our score.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
My credit is great but I noticed that it started to dip when I didn't have enough credit later in life. I pretty much have the tail end of a mortgage in my name but nothing else since 2015 when our last car was paid. I wound up opening an Apple card just to have something current.

I did have one thing wrong years ago that I was never able to get removed. I'd lived in an apartment that had a refundable pet deposit. They literally made me sign this separate pet document. I had to terminate my lease early so I went in to square up and pay any fees. When I did so they credited me for this deposit because there was no damage.

Like 2 years later some collection agency came after me for the fucking deposit THAT THEY HAD REFUNDED. Apparently the policy had changed mid-year and they retroactively forgot that I was grandfathered, but they had lost track of my location and didn't notify me. Assholes. When I bought my house I had to do some nonsense explaining this stupid issue. Appt people were dicks on the phone but reversed direction quickly when I flew down there to discuss.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Them having your wrong name is a problem beyond credit scores. That's a weird situation. Sorry to hear.

Fucked up names is unfortunately pretty common. When I applied for a security clearance for my old govt job, some dipshit in DEERS had switched a couple of numbers in his SSN and ended up with mine (and I'm also in DEERS due to some family). Threw some big ass red flags, with the guy doing my review having to grill me* movie-style about my past ("Have you ever gone by the name "Tom Smith" before? Have you ever owned property in Idaho?" etc....)

*we were both kinda laughing during the whole thing, so not much of a real interrogation lol. He knew it was some clerical fuckup.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
I moved 15 minutes down the road and my score dropped like 25 points.

Literally nothing else changed in my life. (froze all 3 years ago after the Equifax hack so it's not like another credit line opened)

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the last time my score even mattered to me. Years. I'm pretty sure it's quite high. Just don't care.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
My score is high, but i don't have enough "diversity" in my credit so i'm still questioned. I pay off all of my bills on time too....