• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
wait what's a One Sapphire? Why would I "have to convert"? I spoke with a CS rep yesterday and they confirmed I'd be eligible for the CSR signup bonus next year. Am I misunderstanding something?
That rule has been a thing for a year and a half already

Ignore the 24 month thing in those articles, it's 48 now as you already know.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
I am thinking about getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred. How is it? I currently have a Chase Freedom and the Chase Southwest Preferred and just switched my oldest card, the Citi Diamond Preferred to a Double Cash.

Speaking of the Double Cash, since it is still processing, should I wait before I add my wife to the card?

Last edited:

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

I remember signing up for the Reserve back when they were 100K points, and I switched from the Preferred soon after it launched. Fun times!

But now that they're upping the annual fee to $550 but including perks I don't normally use, I'll need to reconsider renewing when this year's membership is up. I will miss that metal card though.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I am thinking about getting the Chase Sapphire Preferred. How is it? I currently have a Chase Freedom and the Chase Southwest Preferred and just switched my oldest card, the Citi Diamond Preferred to a Double Cash.

Speaking of the Double Cash, since it is still processing, should I wait before I add my wife to the card?

Get the reserve!

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I dare not tell my better half about the DashPass Subscription that I now have. I don't think she would be able to restrain herself. 😜😬

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Just signed up for the Blue Cash Preferred to replace the Uber card, mostly as an incentive to eat out a little bit less this year and since it had more streaming services I use in the 6% category. I felt like it fit the best with my other cards since I have 3x for travel and 2x for entertainment on the Citi Premier, and 2% for whatever else on the Venture before I downgrade it.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I have never had Citi or American Airlines cards before, I have offers for a 70k business card and a 60k personal, should I go for them? Access to Admiral's Club.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
10x Lyft earnings is clutch. I'm keeping this and I'm now a Lyft customer exclusively (until this ends).

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
I got my Discover It card Friday and can't seem to figure out how to switch to 5% cash back on certain category. Sunday is usually my stop to stock up food with good sales. Whenever I try to switch, it just takes me to the log in page. ugh.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
new Reserve benefits are useless to me. Is there a page on the Chase website where I can see how much I've saved while using the card, or do y'all calc that by hand? also, any recommended alternatives?

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
How are American Expresses card overseas? I always assumed they were seldom taken but I could be quite wrong in that account. Looking for a new international card since the Uber card will be losing most of its strong perks.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
I got my Discover It card Friday and can't seem to figure out how to switch to 5% cash back on certain category. Sunday is usually my stop to stock up food with good sales. Whenever I try to switch, it just takes me to the log in page. ugh.

What do you mean "switch" categories? You don't have an option on what to choose for your 5% category. It rotates quarterly.

Just signed up for the Blue Cash Preferred to replace the Uber card, mostly as an incentive to eat out a little bit less this year and since it had more streaming services I use in the 6% category. I felt like it fit the best with my other cards since I have 3x for travel and 2x for entertainment on the Citi Premier, and 2% for whatever else on the Venture before I downgrade it.

Great card. Don't forget that you can buy gift cards at grocery stores for 6% back also. I also use my BCP to get Amazon, PSN, Gas, etc gift cards to also get 6% back on those purchases.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Not good at all. Don't rely on them.

Yup. Always have a Visa or MasterCard on hand at least.

Thanks for that, I was eyeballing the AE but knowing they are essentially useless while overseas is a deterrence. I was looking at the Sapphire Reserved but that extra $100 bump is a major con for me (since I seldom use food delivery or ride sharing). Was flirting w/ the Sapphire Preferred but I know I wouldn't hit the $4K in three months and I'd like a wee bit more travel protection when I'm abroad.

Edit: What do some think of the Well Fargo Propel AE card? Even though it is a AE card, so its usage is a bit more unreliable overseas, it seems to have a lot of great benefits w/o an annual fee (I still have the Barclay Uber card for international purchases while I'm away from the US). Costco Visa card is also pretty appealing. Lordy, the myriad of options that exist!

Last edited:

Azar

Oct 25, 2017
SFCA
The Chase Sapphire Reserve was still listing a $450 annual fee this morning even though today is the deadline, so I just signed up and got instantly approved. Hoping there isn't some fine print somewhere that'll mean I actually get charged $550, but I think I travel enough, and across a range of airlines, that it'll still pay for itself. The Lyft bonus really put me over the top since I take it to the airport regularly. Hopefully they re-up that perk next year or offer something comparable!

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is it safe to add my girlfriend, who does not live with me, as a household member to my Chase and transfer her UR points over? Or is there another way to add her points to mine?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The Chase Sapphire Reserve was still listing a $450 annual fee this morning even though today is the deadline, so I just signed up and got instantly approved. Hoping there isn't some fine print somewhere that'll mean I actually get charged $550, but I think I travel enough, and across a range of airlines, that it'll still pay for itself. The Lyft bonus really put me over the top since I take it to the airport regularly. Hopefully they re-up that perk next year or offer something comparable!
The 10x on Lyft is for the next 2 years, until March 2022.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Is it safe to add my girlfriend, who does not live with me, as a household member to my Chase and transfer her UR points over? Or is there another way to add her points to mine?
No, that's not in your household. That feature is meant for people married or a domestic partner, living in the same address.

Looking tpg because they have the better articles on it

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for that, I was eyeballing the AE but knowing they are essentially useless while overseas is a deterrence. I was looking at the Sapphire Reserved but that extra $100 bump is a major con for me (since I seldom use food delivery or ride sharing). Was flirting w/ the Sapphire Preferred but I know I wouldn't hit the $4K in three months and I'd like a wee bit more travel protection when I'm abroad.

Edit: What do some think of the Well Fargo Propel AE card? Even though it is a AE card, so its usage is a bit more unreliable overseas, it seems to have a lot of great benefits w/o an annual fee (I still have the Barclay Uber card for international purchases while I'm away from the US). Costco Visa card is also pretty appealing. Lordy, the myriad of options that exist!
Costco Visa. Can't go wrong with Cash back, and the benefits shouldn't change because of the contract with Costco.

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean "switch" categories? You don't have an option on what to choose for your 5% category. It rotates quarterly.
I currently get the standard 2% on gas and dining, and 1% on everything else.

The quarterly requires you opt in to get the 5% on certain category. I just get an error page when I tried each time. I'll cal them instead later.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped on the Costco train this weekend, but it's only worth it for me to use in-store and at their gas station when it's not on Chase's or Discover's quarter.

BPHusker

Oct 26, 2017
Nebraska
If my wife gets a Chase Sapphire Preferred and I have a Chase Freedom, is there anyway to combine the ultimate rewards points from the two cards? The reason I ask if that we both have Southwest cards and don't want to keep paying the two fees for the same card. She was going to cancel the Southwest and get the Sapphire Preferred to replace it. I wasn't sure if we could combine points or if I would have to be the one to have the Sapphire in order to combine points.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a low key argument with my wife about the following and I feel like I'm in crazy town, so figured I'd ask people who are used to handle credit cards.

Coming from France about 15 years ago, it took a while to establish credit in the US.

At this point I am in "good but not great" territory (low 700s), with a couple store cards (including a Kohls) with little to no balance on these we sparingly use, and an Amazon/ Chase card we have about $4000 on (with a limit of $7000+) due to a bunch of emergency car repairs and a few other things. Not buying much if at all with it these days, we are in repayment mode.

I did a FiCO analysis recently that told me my main problem is... I don't have enough cards / credit line, and the idea freaks my wife out. She'd rather we pay off completely the Amazon card first, and see later on about getting another card.

My logic is... We are paying a lot of interests on this card, when we could do a balance transfer to a 0% interest for 12+ months, and pay that one off without interests, while also increasing my credit line (I have an offer to apply -no guarantee of course- to a CU card that offers balance transfer for 90days, 0% interest for 15 months, 18% top APR, 1-3% cash back reward. But I'd have to open a bank account with them.)

What say you?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
If my wife gets a Chase Sapphire Preferred and I have a Chase Freedom, is there anyway to combine the ultimate rewards points from the two cards? The reason I ask if that we both have Southwest cards and don't want to keep paying the two fees for the same card. She was going to cancel the Southwest and get the Sapphire Preferred to replace it. I wasn't sure if we could combine points or if I would have to be the one to have the Sapphire in order to combine points.
Discussed a few posts above yours: spouses are allowed to transfer points.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
My logic is... We are paying a lot of interests on this card, when we could do a balance transfer to a 0% interest for 12+ months, and pay that one off without interests, while also increasing my credit line (I have an offer to apply -no guarantee of course- to a CU card that offers balance transfer for 90days, 0% interest for 15 months, 18% top APR, 1-3% cash back reward. But I'd have to open a bank account with them.)

What say you?

I am definitely a proponent of balance transfers, but you should shop around and make sure you're getting the lowest transfer fee. You might not qualify for zero transfer fees, but paying a 3% fee is better than continuing to pay interest.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am definitely a proponent of balance transfers, but you should shop around and make sure you're getting the lowest transfer fee. You might not qualify for zero transfer fees, but paying a 3% fee is better than continuing to pay interest.
Yeah the one I'm considering has a 3% balance transfer fee (which would be a one time $120-ish fee), but right now we're paying almost $80 per month every month in interests alone.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
new Reserve benefits are useless to me. Is there a page on the Chase website where I can see how much I've saved while using the card, or do y'all calc that by hand? also, any recommended alternatives?

Amex Platinum is the other big alternative though arguable it's pretty worse. You trade Doordash/Lyft with Uber/Ubereats, worse travel credit (only $200 that's only good in airports), but it does have the better lounge access.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
drop it down to preferred if you want to stay with chase points and booking flights via the chase sapphire portal.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can downgrade to the no AF Sapphire if you don't want any part of Chase anymore.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out about the raised fee, that's a bummer. I'm at least grandfathered in until January 2021. I'd probably keep it at $550 anyway, Lyft Pink is a good deal and $60 of the $100 increase is already offset by DoorDash credits. I make massive use of the airport lounge access every year as well.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Just found out about the raised fee, that's a bummer. I'm at least grandfathered in until January 2021. I'd probably keep it at $550 anyway, Lyft Pink is a good deal and $60 of the $100 increase is already offset by DoorDash credits. I make massive use of the airport lounge access every year as well.

The lounge perks I use up are ridiculous.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
The lounge perks I use up are ridiculous.

Yep, I travel a decent amount for work and usually am taking late flights so I'm gonna spend $50 on food and drink at a bar basically every time I travel if I have a decent layover. Taking that into consideration it's a steal, that and my coworkers love when they get to roll with me to a lounge.

Some lounges suck like Wings in JFK but others are amazing like AirFrance at Dulles. I actually pick flights based on which lounges I like lol.

May 30, 2018
applied for the CSR last week to get in before the annual fee bump, but got a letter today saying that i needed to unfreeze my credit for them to finish the application. did that, called them back, they approved me on the spot, and i see it in my chase account now. where do i go to check and make sure the annual fee is right? not finding much on google or in the account details section of the card on the site.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
applied for the CSR last week to get in before the annual fee bump, but got a letter today saying that i needed to unfreeze my credit for them to finish the application. did that, called them back, they approved me on the spot, and i see it in my chase account now. where do i go to check and make sure the annual fee is right? not finding much on google or in the account details section of the card on the site.
Call Chase.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just need to apply before the 12th, not approved. You're on the old $450 AF.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Amex Platinum is the other big alternative though arguable it's pretty worse. You trade Doordash/Lyft with Uber/Ubereats, worse travel credit (only $200 that's only good in airports), but it does have the better lounge access.
Just an FYI - you can do more with that $200 than is stated. I've always redeemed my $200 for flights.

ah okay. I think you were confusing me or I was confusing you, as I believe I stated my plan was to downgrade the CSP to a CFU then open the new CSR when eligible for the bonus points. Your links just confirm that it is a sound plan. I never suggested an intent to or interest in keeping two sapphire cards.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI - you can do more with that $200 than is stated. I've always redeemed my $200 for flights.

ah okay. I think you were confusing me or I was confusing you, as I believe I stated my plan was to downgrade the CSP to a CFU then open the new CSR when eligible for the bonus points. Your links just confirm that it is a sound plan. I never suggested an intent to or interest in keeping two sapphire cards.
That works!