• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
California
No foreign transaction fee either

tenor.gif

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learnt that the Rakuten Visa cashback card can be transferred to Amex Membership Rewards

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I've had my Chase Freedom Unlimited for less than year and I am happy with it, but I am thinking of switching to the Sapphire Preferred. I am not a frequent traveler (usually once or twice a year from NYC to LA) but I expect to travel more in 2020 and 2021, though still not "frequently". I'm also very confident I can hit the $4k for the 60k points easily.

I am not sure if opening another card after ~9 months since opening the Freedom Unlimited will hurt me or not.... probably a silly questions but just making sure since there's some experts here.

--

I've only used the points from my CFU as cash back on the statement, but my 3% cash back ends in November so it'd be 1.5% after that. I use the CFU as my "default" card when not buying from Amazon (I use the Prime 5% back) or whatever Discover has 5% back for that quarter. I figured I can start using cash back for travel - the 60k points for example would make next my trip to LA "free" - and thus the CSP would make more sense. Thoughts?

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had my Chase Freedom Unlimited for less than year and I am happy with it, but I am thinking of switching to the Sapphire Preferred. I am not a frequent traveler (usually once or twice a year from NYC to LA) but I expect to travel more in 2020 and 2021, though still not "frequently". I'm also very confident I can hit the $4k for the 60k points easily.

I am not sure if opening another card after ~9 months since opening the Freedom Unlimited will hurt me or not.... probably a silly questions but just making sure since there's some experts here.

--

I've only used the points from my CFU as cash back on the statement, but my 3% cash back ends in November so it'd be 1.5% after that. I use the CFU as my "default" card when not buying from Amazon (I use the Prime 5% back) or whatever Discover has 5% back for that quarter. I figured I can start using cash back for travel - the 60k points for example would make next my trip to LA "free" - and thus the CSP would make more sense. Thoughts?

9 months is more than enough time between cards, just remember that Chase has a 5/24 rule in that they'll reject you if you've opened up 5 credit cards in the last 24 months.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Also, stock up your FU UR points and transfer to your CSP later- they all get multiplied by 1.25x for travel that way.

If you're a frequent traveler, you might want to look into whether the Reserve is better despite its hefty $450 AF (you can always downgrade later). Free Precheck, lounge access, a 1.5x multiplier on all your UR points, and the $300/calendar year travel credit might be a better deal. Chase has recently changed bonus language to where you can't have any Sapphire card currently open in order to get the bonus.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, stock up your FU UR points and transfer to your CSP later- they all get multiplied by 1.25x for travel that way.

If you're a frequent traveler, you might want to look into whether the Reserve is better despite its hefty $450 AF (you can always downgrade later). Free Precheck, lounge access, a 1.5x multiplier on all your UR points, and the $300/calendar year travel credit might be a better deal. Chase has recently changed bonus language to where you can't have any Sapphire card currently open in order to get the bonus.

You can trick the system and get the Reserve and Preferred within a 24hr period. Dat $8k minimum spend tho

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

--

Get the CSR, and keep the Unlimited too of course. Use them together.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
You can trick the system and get the Reserve and Preferred within a 24hr period. Dat $8k minimum spend tho

Time for some MS!

The CSR is my favorite card of all-time. My wife and I both got it when it had the 10,000 UR signup bonus. She downgraded to an FU after a year, but we keep funneling all our UR into mine. I calculated that we've paid $2,250 in annual fees but gotten around $9,000 in travel from them.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I have to move to a cash heavy lifestyle soon for reasons and am sad I won't be able to rack up rewards points anymore. Might have to cancel my beloved CSR...but I can't because I have so many UR still lol. Maybe next year

PelvisParsley

Jan 25, 2019
I currently have the Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and Chase Sapphire Reserved. I just noticed that the Uber card exists...is it worth downgrading to a Sapphire Preferred to get that Uber card in the rotation if I spend more on dining than travel?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I currently have the Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and Chase Sapphire Reserved. I just noticed that the Uber card exists...is it worth downgrading to a Sapphire Preferred to get that Uber card in the rotation if I spend more on dining than travel?

With all the perks of the Reserve...I don't see how. You'd have to work some mega math out.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Just got my Uber Visa card in the mail the other day, and it's all I've been using when needing to buy stuff or services in order get the $100 back after spending $500 lol.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
For the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature card, am I able to do no interest financing for six months for purchases outside of Amazon?

Gonna buy the new Switch model at Best Buy since Amazon isn't carrying it at the moment.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... what Citi cards still offer the 24 months of extended warranty? I'm having a difficult time finding that benefit officially outlined on the website. I've previously been using the Marriot American Express which matched the manufacturer's warranty under 2 years, so essentially an extra 12 months for electronics here in the US. Apparently Citi offers a flat 24 month extension even if the original warranty is only 12 months... or at least it did? Is that still a thing? I would be very interested in that. Especially if they offer it on a card with no annual fees.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So... what Citi cards still offer the 24 months of extended warranty? I'm having a difficult time finding that benefit officially outlined on the website. I've previously been using the Marriot American Express which matched the manufacturer's warranty under 2 years, so essentially an extra 12 months for electronics here in the US. Apparently Citi offers a flat 24 month extension even if the original warranty is only 12 months... or at least it did? Is that still a thing? I would be very interested in that. Especially if they offer it on a card with no annual fees.
Which Citi card do you have? Citi killed their benefits on almost all cards

edit: oh you are looking. Check the Costco Citi card. I believe it's the last one with any extended good benefits

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which Citi card do you have? Citi killed their benefits on almost all cards
Don't have one yet. Was planning on getting an Apple Card for daily cash back because I thought AmEx was already giving me the best extended warranty. Only found out about the Citi cards from the Apple thread. Finding up to date info about their warranty benefits is really difficult.

I have some electronics I need to buy soon, just trying to make sure there's not a better card than my current AmEx for warranty.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Don't have one yet. Was planning on getting an Apple Card for daily cash back because I thought AmEx was already giving me the best extended warranty. Only found out about the Citi cards from the Apple thread. Finding up to date info about their warranty benefits is really difficult.

I have some electronics I need to buy soon, just trying to make sure there's not a better card than my current AmEx for warranty.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hm. So theoretically the Rewards+ card will still offer this benefit? No annual fee on that one.

I just wish there was an official confirmation on the website. Extended warranty is not listed anywhere on that card's product pages. Really don't want to do a hard credit pull and add a new account to my FICO if it's not going to give me the benefit.
The only card I see listing it still is Citi Costco so maybe call before applying

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
After I get the $300 bonus from the Propel, I may look into the BoA or Uber VISA for their bonus. At the same time I'm kind of worried that they reduce the Chase Reserve bonus at some point - benefits keep getting reduced across all cards every year it drrms. I'll be ready to go for that one when I'm planning on my bigger purchases, which I don't foresee any time soon.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
California
Is it better to pay off your entire balance monthly when it's due or make a payment as soon as the balance shows up and keep doing that (i.e. I buy something and then the amount charged for what I bought shows up on my balance and then pay it immediately)?

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is it better to pay off your entire balance monthly when it's due or make a payment as soon as the balance shows up and keep doing that (i.e. I buy something and then the amount charged for what I bought shows up on my balance and then pay it immediately)?

It's usually better to wait until the payment is due because there's no reason to give up money before you have to. The only reason to pay things off sooner is if you're making big purchases that make you use up a significant amount of your available credit.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's usually better to wait until the payment is due because there's no reason to give up money before you have to. The only reason to pay things off sooner is if you're making big purchases that make you use up a significant amount of your available credit.

I thought there credit score benefits for consistent early payments?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Nice in that case, I'd rather let that cash sit in savings to gain extra interest for a period before it's used to pay off the credit card bill each month.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Hi everyone, I posted earlier inquiring about the Chase Sapphire Preferred and I'll apply to it Monday. However, this will be by fifth card. I'm not a credit card enthusiast so I want to some help "simplifying" my usage.

Quick profile: Outside of rent and groceries, I mostly spend money shopping (clothes) and food/drinks. I travel at least once a year but will hopefully travel more often in 2020 and beyond. Cash back has been nice but I've not found it life changing so I'm focusing on travel rewards.

I have:

- Discover Card, 5% cash back rotating balance (my first credit card)
- AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, 3% on groceries but can only redeem after $25 has been accrued
- Amazon Prime Card, 5% on Amazon/Whole Foods, 2% groceries/retaurants, 1% everything else
- Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5% flat cash back

I'm thinking of shelving and not using the AmEx in favor of the Amazon after I redeem my cash back because I dislike the "wait till you have $25 to redeem" and I can order from Whole Foods. Worst case scenario, 2% isn't bad.

The Discover card I can also shelve and only use if the cash back rotation is good. Right now it's PayPal so getting good cash back from online purchases but I rarely used it outside of that this year.

So my "strategy" then would be, Amazon for Amazon/Whole Foods/grocery, CFU for regular purchases, and use the points for that towards CSP travel rewards, and then use the CSP for dining/travel.

Does this sound good?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Never pay your balance before you get a statement. Otherwise your utilization may get reported at 0. Just set it up for auto pay for your statement and pick whenever you want to pay the balance during the statement timeframe . Carrying a balance gets widely confused with having to pay interest but all you need to do is let the statement generate and pay it off before the due date.