• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the quick run down. We need a new washing machine and some other items for the house. We don't spend tons of money, but you are right that we still buy groceries and gas and that adds up. I'll need to take a look and see what we are doing with those and see how it pencils out. We were looking at the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, since it seemed to be the all around favorite.

I wouldn't get that one. If you are going to spend the $95 annual fee, spend the $150 effective fee and get the Sapphire Reserve.

Problem is neither of these cards offer 0% interest, they are more high fee/high rewards cards. With a beefy bonus geared towards travel.

I have the card and I love it. Did 3 lounges on a recent trip and it paid for itself then and there before all the other perks

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question,

Just got the Chase Freedom Unlimited, which right now is offering 3% back the first year. So do I get that 3% in ultimate points which I can transfer to my Reserve?

Or is it only when I use those points for cash back do I get the 3%?

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good question. Make a purchase and you should be able to tell right away on points earned. I would have to believe it's 3% on purchase and not on redemption because some folks will not use those points in year 1.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
That's a good question. Make a purchase and you should be able to tell right away on points earned. I would have to believe it's 3% on purchase and not on redemption because some folks will not use those points in year 1.
I agree. At worst I'll know when I get it.

Just some wording somewhere threw me off.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I was holding out for the Apple Card, but from everything I've read, it sounds like the rewards are pretty mediocre (and I don't use Apple Pay hardly enough for it to actually be beneficial).

I've switched my sights to a travel card. Which has the best bang for the buck - Chase Sapphire or Amex Platinum? My credit is in the very good range, so I'm thinking I'll get approved for either.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I was holding out for the Apple Card, but from everything I've read, it sounds like the rewards are pretty mediocre (and I don't use Apple Pay hardly enough for it to actually be beneficial).

I've switched my sights to a travel card. Which has the best bang for the buck - Chase Sapphire or Amex Platinum? My credit is in the very good range, so I'm thinking I'll get approved for either.
Imo Chase Sapphire Reserve. I love the card and its perks. And it's more useable internationally.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
dont know if this card is known, but found a 5% back on gas year round with no annual fees, plus a portion of your purchases go to wetland preservation -

just applied and waiting on it to arrive so dont have experiences with the bank
Hmm between my Chase Freedom and Discover It, I have 5% gas cash back for 6 months of the year, and 3% back with my BofA Rewards card for the rest. Anybody think this card is worth it for myself?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm between my Chase Freedom and Discover It, I have 5% gas cash back for 6 months of the year, and 3% back with my BofA Rewards card for the rest. Anybody think this card is worth it for myself?
If you have one of the BoA cards where you can choose your category, might as well have a separate card that does gas 3% year round and put another category on there.

I use Sam's Club for 5% back.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
If you have one of the BoA cards where you can choose your category, might as well have a separate card that does gas 3% year round and put another category on there.

I use Sam's Club for 5% back.
Ah I forgot they made it so that I can choose. I have pretty much every category covered at 3% or more through other cards tho. Only Freedom and Discover for my 5% needs

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you! I applied and got approved, so should be here in about a week!

Mine took 2 days. Premium card, premium shipping.

Make sure you take advantage of the travel credits, the priority pass (lounges are life) and the global precheck credit.

Also of course make 100% sure you meet the minimum spend for the welcome bonus.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question,

Just got the Chase Freedom Unlimited, which right now is offering 3% back the first year. So do I get that 3% in ultimate points which I can transfer to my Reserve?

Or is it only when I use those points for cash back do I get the 3%?

You can pool points/cash back with Chase. So your 3% turns into 4.5% through CSR if you use the portal.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm getting a new Mac book in the coming weeks. Might as well open a new card to get some points. What's good at the moment?
I have
CSR for travel
Costco for gas
And a delta amex for flights

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting a new Mac book in the coming weeks. Might as well open a new card to get some points. What's good at the moment?
I have
CSR for travel
Costco for gas
And a delta amex for flights

Where are you buying the Macbook? They're $250 off at Costco right now so you'd be limited to Visa only, keeping it within the Chase system you should opt for any of the Ink cards, the Preferred if you can hit the $5k minimum spend, which you should if you're getting a MBP.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
If I get the Wells Fargo Propel for the 30,000 point bonus will I be able to redeem it for something good? I think I read that the 1:1 cash back option can only work if you have a Well Fargo checking account? There's no way in hell that I'm getting that.

I'm hoping that if I do this I find something good for redeeming towards (I would really just want cash). I was shocked at how terrible the AMEX MR options were for my AMEX Everyday. I haven't explored travel that much, but every time I looked, my Chase UR portal just gave me better options. I ain't mad though...

That AMEX Everday allowed me to take $100 off my iPad Pro that I got last year with the Amazon + AMEX MR offer (this was the only reason I got that card). A similar offer came up this year which was $30 off $60.

So $130 off purchases + 10,000 MR points bonus + best extended warranty coverage that my current TV is covered under for no annual fee card = great.

Nov 7, 2017
My cards:
-Wells Fargo Cash Wise (Don't really use it outside of paying my cell phone bill because the card insures your phone if you pay the bill with it)
-Capital One Venture Visa (for miles)
-Amex Platinum (for miles and access to the Centurion Lounge)

Good combo or nah?

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
My cards:
-Wells Fargo Cash Wise (Don't really use it outside of paying my cell phone bill because the card insures your phone if you pay the bill with it)

Good combo or nah?
You have 2 different ecosystems for miles. Better to move to the one that gives you the best benefit.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My cards:

Good combo or nah?

You're going to want the Amex Gold and Blue Business Plus for the Amex trifecta, only problem is that has a annual fee of $800. Amex makes it difficult to use all your included benefits like incidental airline credit with one airline (I've been told you can use this on gift cards).

Still I'm considering the Amex gold for dining and supermarket purchases.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So many places in Italy ( just came back a month ago) didn't take AMEX. Stuff like that would dissuade me from it.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
CSR has served me at airports with the lounges and abroad of course. Didn't run into a single cash only place, and everyone takes Visa.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
So I was reading on Slickdeals that you can get a Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Business card and a Southwest Rapid Rewards Preferred card and stack the points to get a companion pass. Does anyone know anything about this?
You can, but you have to deal with Chase and their rules.

Welcome to 5/24

As for the Southwest CP

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Also I think the best time to do it is the beginning of the year isn't it? I think the pass is for the calendar year? I know every year people rush to get the cards and end up with 2 years of the companion pass

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I think the best time to do it is the beginning of the year isn't it? I think the pass is for the calendar year? I know every year people rush to get the cards and end up with 2 years of the companion pass

Yes, its for the calendar year, but if you work it right you can get 2 years of companion pass.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that Chase includes all banks when applying the 5 / 24 rule. I'm only 2/5 so far, but it's some bullshit because I was essentially forced to open a care credit card to be able to get 0% financing for my invisalign treatment... stupid because I'm never going to use this card and it hurt my credit score

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know that Chase includes all banks when applying the 5 / 24 rule. I'm only 2/5 so far, but it's some bullshit because I was essentially forced to open a care credit card to be able to get 0% financing for my invisalign treatment... stupid because I'm never going to use this card and it hurt my credit score
Itll bounce bank.

We use the Care credit card quite a bit. Mostly for our pets.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Itll bounce bank.

We use the Care credit card quite a bit. Mostly for our pets.

I didn't see any sort of benefit it offered?

If there's a reason I should use it, I definitely will.

I think it was the large credit utilization that hurt me more than the reducing in average credit history. I'm just not in a rush to pay down a 0% card when I'm not buying a home any time soon.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

I think it was the large credit utilization that hurt me more than the reducing in average credit history. I'm just not in a rush to pay down a 0% card when I'm not buying a home any time soon.

No benefit I guess. It just helped us out about 2 years ago. So we use it still. Plus it's continuous 0%, no permanent limit.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
No benefit I guess. It just helped us out about 2 years ago. So we use it still. Plus it's continuous 0%, no permanent limit.

Interesting.

Yeah for me it's 0% for 12 months from when the account first opened. If it's not paid in full before that point in time, they retroactively apply the 20%+ APR or whatever it is.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

The bolded is the benefit. You can do something else with your money during the payoff term.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
The bolded is the benefit. You can do something else with your money during the payoff term.

I know. I just didn't know that a separate credit card was involved. It wasn't mentioned when I was discussing the financing of this. I just wasn't aware if there were any other benefits, so there's nothing special to me here. There are many no annual fee credit cards that offer an introductory 0% APR for over 12 months have other benefits. Not a big deal though. Just another card to boost up my credit line I guess.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
It's flexible. I think for my fiance (it's her card but we pay for it together) she has a regular...12% rate? But weve never let anything hit that level.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Just signed up for the WF Propel mainly for the bonus.

At this point, we'll see if the banks keep getting rid of bonuses, but I'm holding off on picking up the Reserve in case they decide to boost the bonus to 60,000+. I also don't want to stress myself over spending $4,000 in three months (I've been generally reducing spending these days). Once I'm about to do some traveling, that's where it will be an easy decision for to get that and downgrade my sapphire.

In reality if I the Chase cards didn't offer primary rental car insurance, I would probably be only be using the UBER Visa. Because I don't have a car and don't pay for car insurance, that's a must for me now.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just signed up for the WF Propel mainly for the bonus.

At this point, we'll see if the banks keep getting rid of bonuses, but I'm holding off on picking up the Reserve in case they decide to boost the bonus to 60,000+. I also don't want to stress myself over spending $4,000 in three months (I've been generally reducing spending these days). Once I'm about to do some traveling, that's where it will be an easy decision for to get that and downgrade my sapphire.

In reality if I the Chase cards didn't offer primary rental car insurance, I would probably be only be using the UBER Visa. Because I don't have a car and don't pay for car insurance, that's a must for me now.

You can break the one Sapphire card rule and get a Reserve and Preferred within 24hrs of approval and get yourself 110k signup bonus that's if you can spend $7k in 3 months.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
You can break the one Sapphire card rule and get a Reserve and Preferred within 24hrs of approval and get yourself 110k signup bonus that's if you can spend $7k in 3 months.
I currently have the sapphire peferred. I will downgrade and apply for the Reserve when the times right.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all should be sure to churn checking accounts too. Just got 400$ from Wells Fargo after just 3 months, and with no credit hit. I don't think theres a downside to it, at least as far as I am aware of.