• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Is their a slam dunk card going on right now for someone who is just looking to get a general purpose card?

I just paid off another card that has a high APR now so I'd like to move on to something else that is more profitable for me to use.

I see the Chase Sapphire Preferred is popular, but I don't do a lot of things that would satisfy their "travel" guidelines. Credit Karma seems to be pitching the Capital One Savor card pretty hard at me, which looks like a good deal, but I'm not sure.

If I still wanted to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card (for the one time I fly every year or something), how long should I wait after getting a different card before getting that one? I have good credit, but I'll need a month or two between two cards to spend the money to get their welcome bonuses.

Don't ever pay interest. That's an immediate losing proposition.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is their a slam dunk card going on right now for someone who is just looking to get a general purpose card?

I just paid off another card that has a high APR now so I'd like to move on to something else that is more profitable for me to use.

I see the Chase Sapphire Preferred is popular, but I don't do a lot of things that would satisfy their "travel" guidelines. Credit Karma seems to be pitching the Capital One Savor card pretty hard at me, which looks like a good deal, but I'm not sure.

If I still wanted to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card (for the one time I fly every year or something), how long should I wait after getting a different card before getting that one? I have good credit, but I'll need a month or two between two cards to spend the money to get their welcome bonuses.

Are you looking for cash back or travel?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Chase Double Cash Back. Flat 2% on everything. There are better cards for specific spend patterns, but as a generic daily driver, it's hard to beat 2% across the board.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Chase Double Cash Back. Flat 2% on everything. There are better cards for specific spend patterns, but as a generic daily driver, it's hard to beat 2% across the board.
I have the Paypal Mastercard, I'm sure it's not as good in terms of APR. But since I pay it back every month it doesn't really matter. 2% cash back with no restrictions as well.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Are you looking for cash back or travel?

I think I'd like both eventually. I'd like to get the sign up bonus for one of the travel cards (Sapphire Preferred looks like the best at the moment), but I also want a daily driver card to get cashback. The Capital One Savor honestly looks like a pretty good fit for how I tend to spend, so I might go with it.

I will look at the Double Cash Back card too though. Thanks guys.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve, since they already pulled a hard inquiry should I apply for any other cards while I'm at it?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Call it in and see what's up, did you have a history with Chase beforehand?

Only reason I say that is because they have to give you a $10,000 credit line on it. Sometimes they are a little hesitant to do that if you have no history with them.
Urgh. They couldn't verify my social or address.
Now they want me to fax(!) proof.
What the fuck is a fax?/s

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well called up Chase and got them to change my Slate to Freedom Unlimited, got the Chase Trifecta now of Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve. Just got a UPS update that my CSR will be overnighted tomorrow, Chase is thirsty.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
What are the benefits of the Sapphire Reserve that justify the $450 (or rather, $150 after using the travel credit) annual fee?

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
What would people recommend instead of the Chase Sapphire Reserve for someone who wants to redeem a signup bonus for travel? From doing some googling I think the answer may be the Chase Ink Preferred if I can meet the min-spend (apparently venmo works?)

I signed up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred almost a year ago, and was going to product change to a Freedom while applying for a Chase Sapphire Reserve, but forgot they limit sign-up bonuses to once every 48 months now.

Other cards I have:
Capital One Venture - Became my daily driver since the 2x points on everything + 10x on hotels.com + ability to erase travel charges works well for me. I tend to look for good deals via budget airlines like Norwegian/Wow instead of booking through airline partners.
Amex Blue Cash Everyday - Only use this for some recurring billings in order to keep my average age of accounts up, opened it 6+ years ago
Uber Visa Card - Just opened this so my GF and I have an easy way to split shared charges. It's a toss up on whether or not we're better off with this vs. the SavorOne but I couldn't get the latter without waiting another month for the capital one application clock to start.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
What are the benefits of the Sapphire Reserve that justify the $450 (or rather, $150 after using the travel credit) annual fee?
For me:
Global Entry fee covered.
Priority Pass lounge access.
3% at restaurants and travel-related expenses, which then becomes 4.5% back because I redeem points for travel.
No foreign-transaction fees.
I have never had to wait on the phone for Chase customer service.
One of the few American credit cards with Visa Infinite concierge. They had set up a restaurant reservation in Japan, then bailed me out when I was 15 minutes from a restaurant reservation and couldn't find the nondescript entry in a busy city block. Maybe the more common Visa Signature concierge would've been the same (never tried), but I was pretty impressed at how dedicated they seem to the task. Two reps had to help me, one who could read Japanese. It would have been 4 AM on the East Coast when I called.

Edit: just read on a credit card points site that the overall Chase concierge experience is actually pretty subpar, compared to AMEX and Citi's. Interesting.

The trip cancellation and auto rental collision damage waiver (primary coverage) I haven't used.

Last edited:

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What would people recommend instead of the Chase Sapphire Reserve for someone who wants to redeem a signup bonus for travel? From doing some googling I think the answer may be the Chase Ink Preferred if I can meet the min-spend (apparently venmo works?)

I signed up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred almost a year ago, and was going to product change to a Freedom while applying for a Chase Sapphire Reserve, but forgot they limit sign-up bonuses to once every 48 months now.

Other cards I have:
Capital One Venture - Became my daily driver since the 2x points on everything + 10x on hotels.com + ability to erase travel charges works well for me. I tend to look for good deals via budget airlines like Norwegian/Wow instead of booking through airline partners.
Amex Blue Cash Everyday - Only use this for some recurring billings in order to keep my average age of accounts up, opened it 6+ years ago
Uber Visa Card - Just opened this so my GF and I have an easy way to split shared charges. It's a toss up on whether or not we're better off with this vs. the SavorOne but I couldn't get the latter without waiting another month for the capital one application clock to start.

Barclay AA card. 60k AA miles for $100.

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to get a travel card and have excellent credit. I have a trip to book coming up that is worth around $3500.00. The charge will be through a travel agency though. What would be my best option for a travel card? I'm not a huge traveler, probably 1 big trip a year. But is there any hidden literature about travel agency not counting in some way on a specific category for rewards points or cash back?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking to get a travel card and have excellent credit. I have a trip to book coming up that is worth around $3500.00. The charge will be through a travel agency though. What would be my best option for a travel card? I'm not a huge traveler, probably 1 big trip a year. But is there any hidden literature about travel agency not counting in some way on a specific category for rewards points or cash back?

Pshh now is the perfect time for a card.

Most of the major cards categorize that as travel. I can't imagine one that doesn't.

I'd get the Chase Sapphire Reserve. You'll make the minimum spend easy.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Sapphire Reserve, easy. It's the gift that keeps on giving if you travel at least once a year.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Ink Preferd, best sign up bonus from Chase and lower annual fee. Plus you get the travel portal. CSR does get proirity pass which is ace if your home base has a lounge though.

I would personally hit up two Ink cards and get either the CSP or CSR. Then hit up your hotel cards and airlines, throw a Freedom card in there before you hit 5/24.

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all for the input.

Ink Preferd, best sign up bonus from Chase and lower annual fee. Plus you get the travel portal. CSR does get proirity pass which is ace if your home base has a lounge though.

I would personally hit up two Ink cards and get either the CSP or CSR. Then hit up your hotel cards and airlines, throw a Freedom card in there before you hit 5/24.

I've looked into this more and I see how the Ink Preferred would maximize my rewards value for this specific jumping off point. But how do I go about getting a business card without a business, just put sole proprietor and SSN in the EIN. Has there been good success at getting this to go through with no follow up/Interrogation?

How accurate is credit karma approval chance ratings? For the CSR it shows excellent chance but for the CIP it shows only "Fair". And if I get declined for the CIP, does that hurt my chances of then applying for CSR? I only have my Chase Amazon Signature card from chase at the moment and that was opened like 6 years ago. Thanks for any assistance, this is all very eye opening to me now that i'm doing some research into it haha

Last edited:

ActStriker

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have anything bad to say about the Chase Freedom Unlimited? I have the Sapphire Preferred and just looking at getting the extra boost in points for the miscellaneous stuff.

Other cards are the Amazon Visa and Discover it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have anything bad to say about the Chase Freedom Unlimited? I have the Sapphire Preferred and just looking at getting the extra boost in points for the miscellaneous stuff.

I have reserve as well as freedom and freedom unlimited. Combine all the points.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
How bad are idle cards? We have two cards we ended up finishing paying off Q1 of last year that we still have but haven't been using at all. We were once really diligent about charging on all of our cards then making sure they were paid, but we paid these two to zero, then got a little complacent and haven't used them for anything. It's been almost a year now, I haven't checked any scores or anything (I doubt that's necessary, and we still have 2 other cards we use and pay just fine).

I guess Im asking, if the two other cards we are using (3 if we count occasional car stuff on a Firestone card) is enough that we can safely keep our other 2 cards unused without having to worry about credit degradation of some sort.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Just charge a candy bar on them once a year. If they have no fee keep them going.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the regular Freedom is a better card because of categories and 1% on everything else, but its not a bad card.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

I've looked into this more and I see how the Ink Preferred would maximize my rewards value for this specific jumping off point. But how do I go about getting a business card without a business, just put sole proprietor and SSN in the EIN. Has there been good success at getting this to go through with no follow up/Interrogation?

How accurate is credit karma approval chance ratings? For the CSR it shows excellent chance but for the CIP it shows only "Fair". And if I get declined for the CIP, does that hurt my chances of then applying for CSR? I only have my Chase Amazon Signature card from chase at the moment and that was opened like 6 years ago. Thanks for any assistance, this is all very eye opening to me now that i'm doing some research into it haha
I had an Amazon card for about 2 years and got both CSR and CIP no problem

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It won't ever not boggle my mind that a utility bill is enough to prove where you live...
Obviously not something anyone could ever produce with Word in under two minutes.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do any of your cards have 10k+ limits? If you do, you got a good chance at either the CIP or CSR.

Oct 27, 2017
How bad are idle cards? We have two cards we ended up finishing paying off Q1 of last year that we still have but haven't been using at all. We were once really diligent about charging on all of our cards then making sure they were paid, but we paid these two to zero, then got a little complacent and haven't used them for anything. It's been almost a year now, I haven't checked any scores or anything (I doubt that's necessary, and we still have 2 other cards we use and pay just fine).

I guess Im asking, if the two other cards we are using (3 if we count occasional car stuff on a Firestone card) is enough that we can safely keep our other 2 cards unused without having to worry about credit degradation of some sort.

I'd just use them once in awhile for something small and then pay them off when you get the bill. I did have a card cancelled on me once because I never used it.
The good thing about having those cards is that it increases your available credit which can help with utilization rate and your credit score.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I'd just use them once in awhile for something small and then pay them off when you get the bill. I did have a card cancelled on me once because I never used it.
The good thing about having those cards is that it increases your available credit which can help with utilization rate and your credit score.

That's exactly what I was wondering about. Okay thanks. I don't want to have those close because they are indeed huge chunks of our available credit.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My Amazon Chase card is at 10k. I just put in for CIP today and got the 30 day response on the automated line. Fingers crossed would love to get this card.

AZuA0tj.jpg

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
Chan That is an awesome chart! I called this morning and it had already changed to approved with a 5k limit! This is my first real bonus card, super excited, thanks everyone for all the input.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Chan That is an awesome chart! I called this morning and it had already changed to approved with a 5k limit! This is my first real bonus card, super excited, thanks everyone for all the input.

Do whatever you have to to hit the minimum spend. Move all expenses over. Get those bonus miles and that will pay for a whole new trip.

Down the line get the CSR. Better card to have in your wallet

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
Do whatever you have to to hit the minimum spend. Move all expenses over. Get those bonus miles and that will pay for a whole new trip.

Down the line get the CSR. Better card to have in your wallet

Yeah minimum spend will be easy to hit since I'm dropping 3700 on it right away for my trip in May. I'll wait the 3 months and then definitely go for the CSR next.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
AMEX's Membership Rewards redemption is so trash that I'm not even going to bother buying groceries with my AMEX card anymore. The card is only worth it for those AMEX offer cash back deals through Amazon and other cash back promotions for certain restaurants. I'm supposed to get 2% from groceries (I have no other card for groceries), but instead I'm just going to use my Chase Freedom Unlimited for groceries and transfer them to my Chase Sapphire for a total of 1.9% back (1.5 pts * 1.25%).

I'm also kept going back and forth about whether I should get the UBER Visa credit card. It seems like a very good for a card with no annual fee. If was to make this move, I would be then downgrading from my sapphire preferred and would need to be exclusively using this card for everything until I decide to get reserve (there's no large purchase I need to make at the moment, so I'm not considering the Chase Reserve until that time comes).

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
AMEX's Membership Rewards redemption is so trash that I'm not even going to bother buying groceries with my AMEX card anymore. The card is only worth it for those AMEX offer cash back deals through Amazon and other cash back promotions for certain restaurants. I'm supposed to get 2% from groceries (I have no other card for groceries), but instead I'm just going to use my Chase Freedom Unlimited for groceries and transfer them to my Chase Sapphire for a total of 1.9% back (1.5 pts * 1.25%).

I'm also kept going back and forth about whether I should get the UBER Visa credit card. It seems like a very good for a card with no annual fee. If was to make this move, I would be then downgrading from my sapphire preferred and would need to be exclusively using this card for everything until I decide to get reserve (there's no large purchase I need to make at the moment, so I'm not considering the Chase Reserve until that time comes).

You can't get the Reserve if you have the Preferred. Chase implemented a "One Sapphire" rule a while ago.

And there is 48 months now between bonuses https://runningwithmiles.boardingar...e-48-month-policy-worst-amex-lifetime-policy/

So you're looking to just product change your Preferred to Reserve now, unless you've had that Preferred for 4 years