• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
A thread based on projecting your own feelings onto an author based on how said author treated a character seems kinda weird tbh.

This was one of many tone deaf decisions made during TROS's incredibly rushed production even though the team felt no malice. Like they filmed a ton of scenes involving Rose. KMT even talked about them. Those were all lost in the final edit that felt like a first draft.
Checking Google, it said she had a cut scene where she participated in the final battle with the horses and stormtroopers. Should have been in the film really. Can't think of a good reason they cut her to 1 minute of screen time.

Gold Rush

Nov 29, 2017
Checking Google, it said she had a cut scene where she participated in the final battle with the horses and stormtroopers. Should have been in the film really. Can't think of a good reason they cut her to 1 minute of screen time.
It was for her protection. They "adored" her so much that they wanted to shield her from appearing in that terrible film as much as possible.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
There isn't one. Because the film is tone deaf despite coming from a place of genuine admiration for TLJ.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
Geoff Johns claims to love Cyborg, every arc of New 52 Justice League that he wrote proves otherwise. No love, no character development just a Black character he could horribly maim over and over again.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Maybe I'm still salty over Melody of Memory, but I'm convinced Nomura only tries to like Kairi because she's important to Sora, and he always puts himself in Sora's shoes. I don't think he likes her at all as her own person.

Jenny from The L Word is supposed to be a creator self insert and she's the worst piece of shit on the show.

Also I really do feel like Nomura hates Kairi in Kingdom Hearts.

Oh, how did I miss this. Yeah this one for sure.

He liked him enough to let him earn his dream job while he spends time with his wife and daughter that he endlessly cherishes and adores.

See, I wonder if this is it.

Nomura doesn't hate Kairi because Kairi is Sora's Shonen Girl Love Interest. Failing all over the place and needing to be rescued by Sora and going "I have to keep up!" only for her to not do that and need to be rescued again is, like, her actual function as a storytelling device. She's not someone with agency who shapes the plot, that's the boys' job.

Kairi's never going to be important because not being important enough to do anything on her own is what she's there to do.

Nomura promised and baited us with Kairi being active and having her own game as a protagonist but clearly didn't deliver
You should probably look up who wrote Man of Steel

Oh right. But he was still the director and did this:

grz7bNpj38iV75mJVFbd41IlT02OP489OIJc21FQGT4.gif

I dunno, Tim is definitely the one who comes out looking bad in that story lol.

Oh yeah, he came across as flaky and inconsiderate and his emotionaly maturity took a nosedive. I mean when he meets Steph by accident he straight up wishes she wasn't there

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't one. Because the film is tone deaf despite coming from a place of genuine admiration for TLJ.
I don't believe it came from a place of admiration, the film does a 180 from TLJ in the first few seconds saying well actually Palpatine is the true antagonist and not who was being built up to be. I don't believe any publicity speak they said in interviews they admired the previous story.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Maybe I'm still salty over Melody of Memory, but I'm convinced Nomura only tries to like Kairi because she's important to Sora, and he always puts himself in Sora's shoes. I don't think he likes her at all as her own person.

I.... Think Nomura would write a better love story between guys at this point. Just about any lady involved in his works gets as badly shafted as Zelda does in her own series.

I wanted to see great things from Kairi. Even Aqua which also kinda fell by the sidelines.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
NEIL DRUCKMANN HATES JOEL MEN ALL MEN

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something bad happened to a character I like / they didn't get enough screen time / they went through personal development = the creator must HATE them

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if "hate" is the right word or if "failed spectacularly at" is more appropriate, but:

Black Canary - the Arrow writers room.

Tearing down an iconic DC hero into a generic CW love interest, then killing her off when another love interest tested better.

They ultimately got the character right with Black Siren after DC chewed them out for trying to remove Black Canary from Green Arrow's story, but it was abundantly clear they didn't care about the character to begin with.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't believe it came from a place of admiration, the film does a 180 from TLJ in the first few seconds saying well actually Palpatine is the true antagonist and not who was being built up to be. I don't believe any publicity speak they said in interviews they admired the previous story.
It genuinely did come from a place of admiration but they were not only rushing production, they were also completely beholden to an early "plan" in spite of that being an awful idea.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/StarWarsTake/status/1447228027641946116

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/StarWarsTake/status/1447231581949767689

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but I completely doubt all the things JJ says, if he was really sincere about praising KMT, he had the power to do better by her character. And the idea that Rey's parents sold her to protect her? That was such a nonsensical and iffy story development and I don't believe it was a sincere story telling choice.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That makes it so much worse. Sequel trilogy should have been 1000 years in the future.
Nah. That would have so much baggage compared to continuing on from some of George's initial ideas. You don't reintroduce the most memed on multibillion franchise of all time with "And here's nothing recognizable." People were salivating during the leadup to TFA for lots of reasons, practical settings and props, unknown actors, the old actors returning, etc. that's why it was the most profitable film of all time when it released. Since TLJ was written concurrently Rian took the idea of starring a new generation and ran with the idea of passing the torch. Resulting in an amazing film. TROS was when things went off the rails, if only because so many factors ked to that film's troubled production. Starting with exhibit A, it always being considered Carrie Fisher's time to shine only for her untimely passing during TLJ's post production.

Yeah but I completely doubt all the things JJ says
Hence me saying, "Yea it's probably a bad idea to have a thread premise based ENTIRELY on the idea of projecting one's own feelings onto creatives in spite of the multiple things they've stated before AND after their thing was made"

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he necessarily hates her, but the creator of Re:Zero didn't realize how popular Rem would be at first. She very clearly interrupted his plans considering how
he puts her in a coma for a large part of the light/web novels and after the first season of the anime. A coma she will likely not get out of for several years in the anime and only recently was freed from - but without any other her memories and NO WAY seemingly of getting them back, ever.

But because she's massively popular and profitable (I've spend hundreds on her merch and pulling for her in gacha myself, embarrassingly) he can't kill her.
latest

I agree with this entirely(the rezero community can be very against this line of thinking tho lmao).

I think she almost assuredly got a bigger role as a result of her popularity (and then subsequently had to be retooled/benched cause he wasn't sure what to do with her expanded role).

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Hence me saying, "Yea it's probably a bad idea to have a thread premise based ENTIRELY on the idea of projecting one's own feelings onto creatives in spite of the multiple things they've stated before AND after their thing was made"
Usually I agree with not taking it so personally with creators, but I'll make an exception for the creators of TROS whose decisions were so ill-conceived they had that scene where it said the heroine's loving parents sold her to protect her. "For fuck's sake!" when you think about that.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Usually I agree with not taking it so personally with creators, but I'll make an exception for the creators of TROS whose decisions were so ill-conceived they had that scene where it said the heroine's loving parents sold her to protect her. "For fuck's sake!" when you think about that.
It was a very bad story that came from a good place. People often assume that TROS was made spitefully but it really wasn't. It was just an incredibly incompetent and entirely rushed movie. So rushed in fact that if you watch the documentary you can see them talking about things that literally aren't in the film because of how many times the writing changed.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The Netflix Marvel shows seem super embarrassed about the more comic book-y elements. Costumes, ninjas, superpowers, etc. Jessica Jones took every chance it got to avoid Jessica's powers, they made fun of the costumes a million times, and in The Defenders they mention at least ten times how ridiculous everything going on sounds/is.

I love Daredevil, but it clearly thrives with its mafia storyline. It has pre-MCU superhero embarrassment syndrome, like in X-Men when they made of yellow spandex and made everyone wear black. Oh yeah, Daredevil actually does wear black again even after getting a costume. Look at that.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I don't know if "hate" is the right word or if "failed spectacularly at" is more appropriate, but:

Black Canary - the Arrow writers room.

Tearing down an iconic DC hero into a generic CW love interest, then killing her off when another love interest tested better.

They ultimately got the character right with Black Siren after DC chewed them out for trying to remove Black Canary from Green Arrow's story, but it was abundantly clear they didn't care about the character to begin with.
Nailed it

Rukland

Oct 28, 2017
Jim Butcher hates the main character of his Dresden Files series. He might not have started out that way, but each book has become more and more how can you torture Harry. Still love the books, but I am wondering if Jim regrets the huge number of books he signed up to write for this series.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The only thing that comes to mind that might qualify is Garth Ennis and Spider-Man maybe? Garth has apparently voiced his appreciation for Peter Parker in the past, and he did write a really great Spidey story in Tangled Webs that totally respectful of the character, but then you look at his run on the Punisher and anytime Spidey shows up he's treated like a total putz.
The Netflix Marvel shows seem super embarrassed about the more comic book-y elements. Costumes, ninjas, superpowers, etc. Jessica Jones took every chance it got to avoid Jessica's powers, they made fun of the costumes a million times, and in The Defenders they mention at least ten times how ridiculous everything going on sounds/is.

I love Daredevil, but it clearly thrives with its mafia storyline. It has pre-MCU superhero embarrassment syndrome, like in X-Men when they made of yellow spandex and made everyone wear black. Oh yeah, Daredevil actually does wear black again even after getting a costume. Look at that.
Yeah, I really enjoy a lot of the Netflix shows but it definitely felt at times that they didnt get the memo from the movies that it was officially okay to get crazy.

The worst for me was how they chose to visually depict Jigsaw in the Punisher. Someone was clearly not feeling confident about adapting the source material.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017

This gif always cracks me up, because the scene in the movie isn't played anything close to this.

It's about Superman being in a tight spot and having no choice but to use lethal force. Zach's here making it look like "yeah man, and then Superman fucking KILLS HIM!"

He's trying to get a performance, so maybe that's where the disconnect is. But I have to assume being so high up the totem pole at the time meant that the final cut of the movie largely looks like what he wanted it to.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Not an example of a creator claiming to like a character but when Brian Michael Bendis took over X-Men he had Emma Frost on his team.

It was probably forced on him because of instead of having Cyclops and Emma get back together like the fan base wanted he humiliated Emma every chance he could and then had this line happen in his last issue.

Ca4M8eXWAAA95ab.jpg

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Not an example of a creator claiming to like a character but when Brian Michael Bendis took over X-Men he had Emma Frost on his team.

It was probably forced on him because of instead of having Cyclops and Emma get back together like the fan base wanted he humiliated Emma every chance he could and then had this line happen in his last issue.

Ca4M8eXWAAA95ab.jpg

Oooof that line is cold. He also made Emma jealous of a teenager crushing on Scott.......

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ca4M8eXWAAA95ab.jpg

You know, I know this is divisive (especially for other T'Challa fans), but I don't mind Hickman writing literally everyone always

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
To go from not liking an artist's interpretation of a character to concluding that they hate the character is a truly bizarre take that is difficult to take seriously. Also, characterizing Superman as "thinking it was cool" when he kills Zod when he screams out afterward in fruatration and anguish makes it hard to take your interpretation of said interpretation seriously. Just really struggling here lol.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say hate, but most writers who have helmed T'Challa/Black Panther, the last few years. Mainly Ta-Nehisi Coates. Ryan Coogler also said he didn't get the character going into making the film, and given how T'Challa was the least interesting character in there, it showed.
I felt the same way and would try to explain this in conversations about the movie. Do you have a link to that interview where Coogler said that?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
You know, I know this is divisive (especially for other T'Challa fans), but I don't mind Hickman writing literally everyone always
Nah, Hickman isn't the best ever. But he respects every character he writes. He doesn't always does it perfect, but he tries.

Brian Michael Bendis is a kid in a sandbox who breaks other kids toys and leaves shouting "I don't want to play with you anymore!" as he goes.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
D&D with a lot of GoT characters, but in particular Varys who held the idiot ball and was hastily written out so they could do a full changing of the guard.

I'm sure Varys will die in the books too but not I such a stupid manner.
I can't remember which actor it was, but one of them brought up to D&D that their character's death was surprising and rather unfitting. Not just due to them still being alive in the books, but just the way they went out.

Later on D&D went on a podcast and basically talked crap about them.

Whole thing kinda reeked of them believing themselves to always know what's right for the show. Which is pretty easy to see, now in retrospect.

Foxisdabest

Banned
May 8, 2022
It was probably made up but Toriyama supposedly liked Gohan
I dunno about the Gohan thing, but when you read Dragon Ball, it's an adventure manga that culminates into fights from the natural progression of the story. By the time Z starts, it's just a fighting manga, and it just keeps getting worse and worse, with the Cell Saga being nothing but power creeps.

I think the series trying to feature Gohan later on was just Toryama trying to go back to a comedy / adventure series after being tired of just drawing fights for so long.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think Snyder hates any of the DC characters. In fact he loves them and because of this he's okay doing a deconstruction of them and building them back together as shown in the Snyder Cut

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think Snyder hates any of the DC characters. In fact he loves them and because of this he's okay doing a deconstruction of them and building them back together as shown in the Snyder Cut

Snyder didn't deconstruct anything regarding superheroes with his films. They're just a darker and gritty take.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember which actor it was, but one of them brought up to D&D that their character's death was surprising and rather unfitting. Not just due to them still being alive in the books, but just the way they went out.

Later on D&D went on a podcast and basically talked crap about them.

Whole thing kinda reeked of them believing themselves to always know what's right for the show. Which is pretty easy to see, now in retrospect.
I remember there was some fuss when they
killed Barristan Selmy, so they could give his book role to Tyrion who had a very slow, aimless arc in A Dance with Dragons that leaves him outside Mereen.

CBZ

Jul 2, 2022
There are some takes on characters I don't really care for compared to others but I dunno, I wouldn't classify those as a creator "hating the source material" unless they've outright said so.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
Agreed, Snyder clearly loves the DC pantheon, just not a fan of his take (for the most part, I enjoyed his JL a lot)

Yeah it's funny I loved Man of Steel, and I really liked his Justice League. I'm now lukewarm to BvS but man I loathed BvS the first time I saw it. But it's really a case of him doing things with those characters some folks didn't like. He clearly loves them just…not for the same reasons many do.

There's what JJ did with rose… he basically dismissed her…and Synder who just approached them in ways people didn't like. Maybe he didn't care for aspects of those characters people love…but he loved something there.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Hickman isn't the best ever. But he respects every character he writes. He doesn't always does it perfect, but he tries.

Brian Michael Bendis is a kid in a sandbox who breaks other kids toys and leaves shouting "I don't want to play with you anymore!" as he goes.

I pretty much agree with all of this

Though I like Hickman because he does try!

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I remember there was some fuss when they
killed Barristan Selmy, so they could give his book role to Tyrion who had a very slow, aimless arc in A Dance with Dragons that leaves him outside Mereen.
Yep! That's it. Actor read ahead in the books and was looking forward to filming all those scenes. Then they just get rid of his character prematurely, and in a very, very lame way.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I pretty much agree with all of this

Though I like Hickman because he does try!
When Bendis went to DC to write Superman, I told my partner "He's going to get rid of John Kent somehow. Then he's going to write Superman the way he wants and then on his exit, he'll break any fan idea about how the status quo of the World's Finest Super frienda family can come back."

Sure enough he did.

Bendis is best left to his own ideas or his own universe.

The second you left his ideas become continuity he falls apart. Hell I'd argue that's why the Ultimate Universe failed in the end.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
When Bendis went to DC to write Superman, I told my partner "He's going to get rid of John Kent somehow. Then he's going to write Superman the way he wants and then on his exit, he'll break any fan idea about how the status quo of the World's Finest Super frienda family can come back."

Sure enough he did.

Bendis is best left to his own ideas or his own universe.

The second you left his ideas become continuity he falls apart. Hell I'd argue that's why the Ultimate Universe failed in the end.
Bendis is fine writing anything street level and down. Above that he's trash.