• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Finished reading the article.

This was such a great read. This should be one of the first thing to read for people that are just starting to think about what trans representation in media means and what's at stakes. It's very well written, informative and clear.

And I'm glad they managed to figure out their identity a little thanks to Celeste

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
People have been speculating about this since (at least) the release of Farewell, so it's cool to get confirmation.

Celeste is rad.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There's been a lot of support and nice responses to this on Twitter from other devs and people in the industry.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I'm pretty far into the game, maybe I haven't been paying attention. But have their been hints in the game? Or have they just gone over my head haha.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
You know, like an unskippable screen of text saying MADDIE IS TRANS AND YOU WILL DEAL during the game.
I disagree. I wouldn't like that because it doesn't need to be spelled out, it's not something that defines her character so much it needs to be spelled out before anything else. The character or person should be focused on, her feelings, her values, her skills and attributes, her courage, you name it. And I prefer show don't tell – if showing your gender identity is something you care to show to begin with it. No trans person I've met started the conversation with "I'M TRANS AND YOU WILL DEAL WITH IT", nor does any homosexual or heterosexual or any other person that may or may not fit into certain (default) categories.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty far into the game, maybe I haven't been paying attention. But have their been hints in the game? Or have they just gone over my head haha.
The journey of Madeline fighting and coming to accept herself is emblematic of the trans experience for many.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah makes sense, was just thinking if there was direct dialogue about it, but thanks.
The ending chapter of the DLC does contain some pretty apparent nods to her being trans in a couple of the illustrations too. Article itself goes into why they didn't do anything more direct to get a better understanding of that side of things.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Fucking brilliant game, and the story had no right to be as good as it was.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Would it be rude to ask Maddy Thorson if Madeline is chronologically pre op, post op, mid op or intentionally ambiguous during Celeste?

I recently beat the game and personally thought the main character may have trans before I finished it

Honestly I wish I could transition myself, but in the opposite direction

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Would it be rude to ask Maddy Thorson if Madeline is chronologically pre op, post op, mid op or intentionally ambiguous during Celeste?
Yes, that would be a bit odd. Though your phrasing makes me wonder if you mean transition with HRT, as opposed to the more blunt asking about surgery? If so, one of the elements people picked up on in the illustrations was a bottle of pills by her bed. Which could indicate that she is on HRT.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of neat their new name is a nickname for Madeline as well. I wonder what they will do with their game company name - they haven't changed it from what I have seen (I will admit I never quite understand the issue with dead names when they are not malicious - but this is just me being ignorant) ; I would assume they would not want to keep the old company name?

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Celeste has always been a fantastic journey about acceptance and overcoming hardship. Just happened to be wrapped in a great-playing game, too.

It's incredibly sweet to realize that Maddy's real life experience reflects Madeline's.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I will admit I never quite understand the issue with dead names when they are not malicious - but this is just me being ignorant
It's a combination of things if we're talking on a general level. There's the embarrassment or discomfort of being called your prior masculine name when presenting femme or having lived with your real name for a period. It invalidates your identity in the moment which can be a blow. There's that it can out you as trans if done publicly or draw attention to the fact, which can be dangerous depending on who's around. There's also that it gives others a window to dig into your past life/self, which can be used against you in harassment.

In the case of Maddy I'm not sure what they plan to do. They did change their Twitter name around the time of putting this article out, but obviously company and brand stuff would be a little more involved.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
In the case of Maddy I'm not sure what they plan to do. They did change their Twitter name around the time of putting this article out, but obviously company and brand stuff would be a little more involved
Didn't they rebrand/relaunch as Extremely OK Games? I think the old name is defunct.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Didn't they rebrand/relaunch as Extremely OK Games? I think the old name is defunct.
You are correct! From Maddy's wiki article:
On 5 September 2019, Thorson announced that they were effectively shutting down Matt Makes Games, while re-establishing the same team under the new name "Extremely OK Games" (abbreviated EXOK). The purpose of the change was twofold. First, the new name recognized that Thorson was not the sole creative force behind the games and ensured that the whole team was fully recognized and shared in the collective output from the company. Second, the change coincided with a move to a new set of offices in Vancouver to house the entire team, which had been previously spread across the world, including some in São Paulo.
I would suspect a third impetus with what we know now, but still interesting to know the other elements too. It does also note that Towerfall and Celeste will continue to be published under the former name.

Nice shout, thanks for the info as had passed me by!