• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
BetaPeter: there was a lot of fun House of Leaves vibes to this with the weird formatting and honestly it all really worked well for me. Also you had a lot of fun little analogies in this.

Rivenblade: Ha! This would make for a fun twilight episode. I want to say I'd use my time different…. But I really wouldn't. That's the heart of the story that makes it painfully relatable.

Deimosmasque: Oh hey welcome aboard! You've got a good character arc going with someone having trouble getting over their ex to getting over them by the end, though it feels more like a vignette. I wouldn't say there's a clear catalyst for the change. Not bad for not writing for 20 years!

Conker: For the record, not gonna rank this because it's over the word limit. I have no problem reading longer stuff, but just cause you know what to do with a long word count doesn't mean everyone does and I kinda want to avoid encouraging others to do 3k+ stories they could fit into 2.5k.

I think the horror elements of this might have been a bit too strong. Like it's a bit too legitimately frightening for the tone it ended up taking. It just makes the casual human connections formed at the end hit a bit off when in the back of my mind, I'm wondering why they're not all just running out the door. Other than that, this was really well done. Great job. I love the ending.

Votes
  1. Betapeter
  2. Rivenblade
  3. Deimosmasque

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
Sorry for lack of feedback, I tend to find it tough and get a little self conscious criticizing others. Anyway enough babble, here's my picks.

1. Rivenblade
2. Conkers
3. Flowers

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
I think the horror elements of this might have been a bit too strong. Like it's a bit too legitimately frightening for the tone it ended up taking. It just makes the casual human connections formed at the end hit a bit off when in the back of my mind, I'm wondering why they're not all just running out the door. Other than that, this was really well done. Great job. I love the ending.
Hmm. You know, I asked someone about that and he said not to touch the horror elements. I think there's a right balance somewhere. I've a few things I want to do to this one yet before I call it "done" but I'm not sure what all of those things are now :P

In the longer version, they'll go into that last wing of the museum together and then get split up via cursed object. Guy will then have his chat with rat girl, and they'll come together in the end. I might introduce that one guy closing doors sooner, b ecuase that's a DnD curse Haru turned me onto and it's fucking amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for lack of feedback, I tend to find it tough and get a little self conscious criticizing others. Anyway enough babble, here's my picks.

Hey, you never have to apologize for a lack of feedback. It's a completely optional thing some people do. Its never been a requirement to participate in these challenges.

Hmm. You know, I asked someone about that and he said not to touch the horror elements. I think there's a right balance somewhere. I've a few things I want to do to this one yet before I call it "done" but I'm not sure what all of those things are now :P

In the longer version, they'll go into that last wing of the museum together and then get split up via cursed object. Guy will then have his chat with rat girl, and they'll come together in the end. I might introduce that one guy closing doors sooner, b ecuase that's a DnD curse Haru turned me onto and it's fucking amazing.

Honestly I kind of like how Alex didn't go to the final exhibit. It mixed things up nicely and it was a fun way for him to finally chat with the lady.

OP
OP
Conkersbadfurday
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Honestly I kind of like how Alex didn't go to the final exhibit. It mixed things up nicely and it was a fun way for him to finally chat with the lady.
Fair. By that point it felt like they would have doubled down on sticking together, maybe. I'm not sure. I'll have to see how I feel on it in a month or two. Or a year since this is destined for a self-published collection and I dont' see myself churning one of those out anytime soon :P

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
1. Conkers
2. Rivenblade
3. Betapeter

Allow me to compile my thoughts for a little while and I'll give some criticism. Had a very long day so my critical thinking brain is a little dead.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
1. Conkers
2. Rivenblade
3. Betapeter

Allow me to compile my thoughts for a little while and I'll give some criticism. Had a very long day so my critical thinking brain is a little dead.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
'K, everyone's read and voted. I'll tally the final results:

Rivenblade 10
BetaPeter 9
Conker 8
Flowers 3
Deimonmasque 1

Nice job, everybody. New thread up shortly. deimosmasque You are still free to leave feedback to these stories in this thread later of course. :)