• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
capsule_616x35369jpm.jpg

👩‍💻 Developer: Amanita Design
🎮 Platforms: Apple Arcade; PC (itch.io, official site, GOG, Steam); PlayStation 4 (PSN); Switch (eShop); Xbox One (XBL)
🏷️ Price: $19.99/€19.99/£17.99 or your regional equivalent* (standard edition); $24.82/€24.82/£22.06 or your regional equivalent* (PC; Collector's Edition); $37.56/€37.56/£32.76 or your regional equivalent* (PC; Machinarium & Creaks bundle); $37.56/€37.56/£32.76 or your regional equivalent* (PC; Machinarium & Creaks bundle)
📅 Release date: July 22nd, 2020

* Pricing on platforms/stores other than Steam may vary.

📖 About:
Meet Your New Neighbours

The ground starts shaking, light bulbs are breaking - and something rather unusual is happening right behind the walls of your very room. Equipped with nothing but wit and courage, you slowly descend into a world inhabited by avian folk and seemingly deadly furniture monsters.

From the creators of indie classics Machinarium and Samorost comes Creaks, a new puzzle adventure game that delights the senses with its hand-painted visuals, precise animation, eerie sounds, and an eclectic original score from Hidden Orchestra. Proceed at your own pace at figuring out the solutions to dozens of carefully designed puzzles, explore the mansion for hidden paintings and uncover the great secret.

Creaks is best enjoyed with a controller and a good pair of headphones.

📷 Screenshots:

🎞️ Trailers:
Teaser
Launch

✍️ Reviews:
Era review thread
Metacritic - Apple Arcade (insufficient reviews)
Metacritic - PC (82)
Metacritic - PlayStation 4 (83)
Metacritic - Switch (insufficient reviews)
Metacritic - Xbox One (insufficient reviews)
OpenCritic (80)

🙏 Special thanks:
mazi for the header image.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JaseC does the green checkmark mean the switch version is out? i just checked and it's still not available for purchase (US eshop)

Last edited:

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't know anything about this game in terms of story, but i'm excited. All their previous games are amazing.

Can't wait to hear that OST too.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, i looked at the controls and was like 200m? what does that mean?
it's zoom :/
2020072222582800-a13ehwkp2.jpg

played for like half hour, and the game is amazing. beautiful art, great animation, amazing audio design and music, also great use of HD rumble. it's late and i'm feeling sleepy tho, so will play it tomorrow.

edit: some screenshots and a little jiff

2020072223284600-a13e2xjqu.jpg

2020072223291700-a13e6vkci.jpg

2020072223295400-a13eiyjpj.jpg

2020072223281800-a13ev8k4r.jpg

ezgif-4-4a32f108d00bvlk3d.gif

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
exactly what I was hoping for and living up to my expectations so far. it's being rated 8/10 but I feel like it's at least a 9/10 game as is the course with all amanita games..

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love Amanita so instant buy. Here's a 1 hour that I recently did if anyone wants to watch

Cheers

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Switch version run ok? Does it control alright? I would assume so, but you never know...
I bought both switch and on their website for PC (comes with a steam code). I originally played on switch in handheld mode, but when my s/o came home for lunch I restarted the checkpoint from the beginning and she loved playing it so she's gonna play that version and I decided to double dip for the achievements/knowing I could get much further and then watch her on our tv later tonight. PC version feels a bit more responsive tbh, but switch still felt fine.

(I wouldn't second guess buying the switch version but PC felt better)

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Had a quick play and i'm enjoying the game so far. Looks great, has a nice soundtrack and fun puzzle gameplay. Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've played for maybe a couple of hours - it feels weird buying an Amanita game on PS4 after years of PC only!

As usual for an Amanita title... it's great. The puzzles aren't simple but aren't mindbending either; if you mess up you barely have to go back any distance at all. The art is wonderful, although arguably not as strikingly so as Samorost or Machinarium because you get so focused on solving the puzzles rather than wondering at the environments.

It's interesting to compare this to Paper Mario: The Origami King, which I've also been playing this week; Paper Mario gives you more time to enjoy its environments, but the puzzle solving is less satisfying. Creaks is much more focused on its puzzles than its adventuring.

Spoiler for spoilery things:

The game's just introduced the shadows that ape your movement; of course they turn into coatstands!

I enjoyed watching the dumb "brawn" bird attempt to shoot at the monster extremely ineffectually; I am assuming that the key to whatever it is we're aiming to do down here will involve the shiny jewel on the front of the book that the professor bird was so desperate to read?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is the art higher res than 1080p on PC?

Trying to decide between PC and Switch.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished and platinumed.

Absolutely superb, as usual from Amanita. Just the right length, just the right level of difficulty, just the right amount of narrative... just the right amount of everything. The paintings made me laugh quite frequently...!

Highly, highly recommended.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Can you buy the soundtrack/art book on Steam without owning the game? I'd rather play on Switch but I like digital extras like that. You didn't used to be able to do that, but maybe things have changed.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you buy the soundtrack/art book on Steam without owning the game? I'd rather play on Switch but I like digital extras like that. You didn't used to be able to do that, but maybe things have changed.
looks like you need the game to buy the soundtrack+art book on steam. the soundtrack is available separately on other stores tho.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
looks like you need the game to buy the soundtrack+art book on steam. the soundtrack is available separately on other stores tho.
Thanks. This has happened to me so many times now. Really wish Steam would fix this, or that the other platforms would support digital extras like this.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Thanks. This has happened to me so many times now. Really wish Steam would fix this, or that the other platforms would support digital extras like this.

You can buy it without owning the game. It's configured as a soundtrack, not DLC.

Edit: In case you're unfamiliar with the new system, what you want to do is:

- Buy the soundtrack + art book
- Change your Steam library filter settings to show soundtracks
- Select Creaks Soundtrack + Art Book and click "Download Album"
- Once the download has completed, navigate to steamapps\music\Creaks Soundtrack + Art Book to access the files

Not all soundtrack DLC has been converted to a downloadable soundtrack. Valve stopped short of doing this itself, probably because there was no reliable way to automate the process and there are god-knows-how-many soundtracks on Steam. But you'll know you can purchase a soundtrack without owning the base game if the store page has a pink "Downloadable Soundtrack" banner:

steamsoundtrackbannerjoknw.jpg

Last edited:

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
You can buy it without owning the game. It's configured as a soundtrack, not DLC.

Edit: In case you're unfamiliar with the new system, what you want to do is:

- Buy the soundtrack + art book
- Change your Steam library filter settings to show soundtracks
- Select Creaks Soundtrack + Art Book and click "Download Album"
- Once the download has complete, navigate to steamapps\music\Creaks Soundtrack + Art Book to access the files

Not all soundtrack DLC has been converted to a downloadable soundtrack. Valve stopped short of doing this itself, probably because there was no reliable way to automate the process and there are god-knows-how-many soundtracks on Steam. But you'll know you can purchase a soundtrack without owning the base game if the store page has a pink "Downloadable Soundtrack" banner:

steamsoundtrackbannerjoknw.jpg
Oh, that's awesome. Thank you!

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I've yet to finish it, but I feel like this may become my favourite Amanita game ever. It's just so good. Great visuals and music, clever puzzles and impeccable pacing. The bite-sized areas are perfect for playing on the switch.
It makes me sad to see the OT with so few posts.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've yet to finish it, but I feel like this may become my favourite Amanita game ever. It's just so good. Great visuals and music, clever puzzles and impeccable pacing. The bite-sized areas are perfect for playing on the switch.
It makes me sad to see the OT with so few posts.

I loved Creaks - massively, massively loved it - but I don't think it quite topples Machinarium's inventiveness and... I'd like to say "visual pacing". Because Machinarium is a point and click adventure you can really drink in the details of the gorgeous world design more, and it plays into the game mechanics in a more surprising and consistently innovative way. Creaks is wonderful, but because its mechanics are more repetitive (by nature, because the game introduces enemy types and then uses them repeatedly) and your focus is laser-like on solving each screen, there's less time spent simply absorbing the scenery.

Amanita threads are always short - they're not "cheap" for indie games, and this isn't on Gamepass like Carrion is for example. Doesn't alter the fact that their games are lovely though!

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Been playing Creaks on Switch. So far it's a great game and it runs super well on the Switch!

It's got such an excellent atmosphere.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finished the game

- amazing art, animation and music, as expected from an amanita game.
- a surprisingly good puzzle platformer. i was expecting something more basic but they really did some clever stuff with the few mechanics and enemies the game has.
- loved the interactive paintings, they're hilarious.
- really satisfying ending, the elevator ride to the top was great. the story is surprisingly emotional too.

i think this might be my second favorite amanita game after machinarium. a beautiful and memorable experience.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it - what a lovely game. Played it over several short sessions, and every time I couldn't wait to go back and tackle a few more puzzles. Amazing presentation, I wish I had a huge poster with everything mapped out ;P

Machinarium has a special place in my heart, so I can't say Creaks overtook it, but I really enjoyed this one.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm taking my time with this, doing a few scenes each night. I'm having a great time with it. A high quality game in every way.

So glad Hidden Orchestra has gotten the opportunity to do a soundtrack for a game. I really like it.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
This game looks amazingly beautiful even by Amanita's usual standards. How is the game difficulty-wise? Machinarium was a bit rough for my dumb brain.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game looks amazingly beautiful even by Amanita's usual standards. How is the game difficulty-wise? Machinarium was a bit rough for my dumb brain.
not very hard. some of the puzzles can get a little challenging and the solution may not be obvious right away, but since there's not a lot of options at any point you'll figure it out by just messing around with the puzzle for a while.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
if you haven't, check out this blog post about the process of creating the soundtrack
blog.playstation.com

Composing the self-generating soundtrack for Creaks

An in-depth look at crafting an intriguing, infinitely remixing body of music.

Thanks. That was an interesting read. I liked the fact that the soundtrack changed when solving parts of a puzzle. The randomisation was cool. Has this been done before in game soundtracks? Apparently, even the menu music is randomised but it sounds equally great in each version.

I finished the game today and i have nothing but good things to say about the game. Polished, beautiful visuals, a wonderful OST and fun puzzle gameplay.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm in love after an hour, this is so good and weird. The protagonist and the whole setup reminds me of Edgar Allen Poe, kind of gothic.