• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PC) (82)
Metacritic (PS4) (83)
Metacritic (Xbox One) (??)
Metacritic (Switch) (??)
OpenCritic (80)

Eurogamer (recommended):
If you're weary of exhaustingly inexhaustible blockbusters, I'd set aside some time for Creaks. It won't ask for much, and it gives so much in return.

Polygon (recommended):
Amanita drew design influences from a variety of disparate sources, and managed to build an environment that is a believable fantasy land with a strong sense of internal logic — while feeling like a place where just about anything could happen. From the individual puzzles to the world's staggering scale, from the trinkets strewn about each room to the entire mansion's ramshackle construction, Creaks is a dazzling work of imagination.

AppUnwrapper (no score):
Every aspect of Creaks makes it one of the easiest games to recommend to puzzle fans. Some mechanics will be familiar, but when combined with others they feel entirely fresh. Together with the slowly unraveled story about why this place is falling apart, the utterly charming artwork and fitting soundtrack, I don't know what else to call the game besides a masterpiece.

Wccftech (9.5/10):
Creaks renovates a well-worn genre, delivering one of the most satisfying indie puzzle-platformers in some time. Between its stunning visual and audio design, absorbing world, and perfectly-balanced puzzles, it's hard to find serious fault with any part of this game's construction. If you're a fan of puzzles or Amanita Design's past games, you need to grab a flashlight and delve in.

PlayStation Universe (9.5/10):
I was taken back by how much I enjoyed Creaks. For a game I had never heard of, it quickly has become one of my favourite experiences of the year, It's beautiful, enjoyable and everything about it screams quality. Tracking down the paintings and completing their short stories is enjoyable. Along with a great and achievable trophy list, you have a short, amazing experience like no other in recent times. Enjoy people, games like this do not come around very often.

Gameffine (9.5/10):
Creaks is not only the best game by Amanita so far but also one of the finest in its genre to date. It keeps surprising you through everything it does – be it the stunning artwork, the dynamic soundtrack, the heartwarming humor, the varied enemy types, or the innovative level design. With Creaks, Amanita pushes games as a form of media far enough to be compared to the masterpieces of Pixar or Ghibli. And boy, does it deliver!

Bazimag (9.2/10, review in Farsi):
Amanita Design knocks another one out of the park. If you are trying to find great atmospheric music, jaw-dropping visuals and sometimes challenging puzzles, Creaks should be the only place you are looking for.

Vortex (9/10, review in Czech, google translation):
Creaks is a fascinating example of design and perfect art. Amanita Design once again proves that it can compete with the best foreign authors of independent games and surpass them in many ways. After the explicitly experiential Chuchl and Pilgrims, Creaks is a full-fledged affair that will really bother you, but will immediately caress you kindly. Braid or Inside found their equal partner in Radim Jurda's play!

Adventure Gamers (4.5/5):
Overall, Creaks is simply a joy. From its intricately hand-drawn graphics to its imaginative world filled to the brim with gloriously bizarre sights and curious characters, it's packed with creative energy and fun. That creativity also yields increasingly tricky puzzles, but they're so cleverly designed that they'll have you scratching your head rather than tearing your hair out. The story may play out around you rather than because of you much of the time, but who cares when you're along for such a spectacularly idiosyncratic ride? Don't expect a typical Amanita gameplay experience, but it's heartily recommended to anyone whose inner child is looking for a challenge.

NME (4.5/5):
Creaks is an utterly transportive puzzle-platformer that sets the imagination alight and beautifully balances joy and whimsy with an eerie darkness. Like all great fairy tales, it pulls you into its world, which then becomes hard to leave behind.

Multiplayer.it (8.6/10, review in Italian):
Creaks is quite a diversion from the typical adventure style by Amanita Design, but a smart one. Style and atmosphere are always top notch and the gameplay is more similar to true pure puzzle games here, with a sense of constant menace from the eerie setting.

EDGE (8/10):
Creaks may be a break from point-and-click tradition for Amanita, but we're left with a familiar smile as the credits roll, our eyes still wide with delight.

Critical Hit (8/10):
Visually striking and mentally satisfying, Creaks is a puzzle platformer that fully embraces its oddball nature. Some control and pacing niggles aside, it's a bright new genre entry, sure to have extra appeal for people with darker, cerebral tastes in entertainment.

Guardian (4/5):
It would have been wonderful to see this team's giant imagination expressed through the subversion of, rather than adherence to, well-worn puzzle platform conventions, but perhaps that is just plain greedy. It is, after all, such a treat to find a gorgeous narrative game that owes nothing to the culturally prevalent aesthetics of Disney, Marvel or Studio Ghibli. While the puzzle construction at the heart of Creaks is formulaic, that should not be a disincentive to give this short, singular experience a try. No time with an Amanita Design game is ever wasted.

WellPlayed (8/10):
Creaks is another winner from Amanita that should satisfy both fans of their unique, abstract style and their penchant for head-scratching puzzles – albeit now in a controller-friendly new gameplay format. It'll also speak to a very particular type of person as the narrative's surprises start to reveal themselves, so it'll be interesting to see who picks the big reveal ahead of time and who doesn't. All in all, if you're a fan of the studio's work or enjoy challenging, indie puzzle-platformers you're sure to dig Creaks.

TheGamer (4/5):
Amanita basically has a perfect track record when it comes to its different releases and Creaks does not break that trend. It certainly is something new for the studio that longtime fans may not immediately gel with, but those that have a love of the weird and creepy will find a lot to admire in Creaks.

Xbox Achievements (80/100):
Creaks is a wonderfully atmospheric game that is ingenious in its execution, with a unique art style and excellent sound design. The sheer number of mind-teasing puzzles can be a little relentless at times, but the way that the game's systems evolve and interact with each other over time is incredibly impressive. If you have any love for brain teasers, you should probably consider picking it up.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Fans of clever puzzles and masterfully told dark fairytales will delight in Creaks. Bursting with atmosphere and quirky style, Amanita's latest is full of clever puzzles and wordless storytelling. Its distinctive flavour won't be to everyone's taste, but this is an impeccably told fairytale that will also give your brain a thorough workout.

Eurogamer Italy (8/10, review in Italian):
Creaks is extremely unique and different from the usual games crafted by the talented Amanita Design team. Still it is again the quintessence of an incredible work of visual and audio art intertwined in order to create a striking and funny puzzle game. An indie must buy like the previous Samorost, Machinarium and Botanicula.

SECTOR.sk (8/10, review in Slovak):
Amanita Design's new puzzle game offers a wonderful trip into a weird and dark world.

Vandal (7.5/10, review in Spanish):
Creaks is a great game if you like puzzles. It's beautiful and challenging, although it ends up feeling a little bit repetitive, with some puzzle designs that feel too similar to each other.

Slant Magazine (3.5/5):
Creaks hums along smoothly and pleasantly without calling attention to itself, to its sporadic detriment but mainly to its strength.

Bonus Stage (7/10):
When a mystery door reveals itself to you, do you ignore it, or grab your torch and go exploring? Do the latter and discover the eerie subterranean world of the Avian and the Creaks.

Last edited:

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Clearly I loved the game! To shamelessly copy and paste from the other thread...my favorite of 2020 so far, and I've played all the big ones (TLOU2, RE3, Animal Crossing, ect.) Beautiful visuals and sound, note-perfect puzzle design, excellent pacing. The game gave me Super Metroid feelings. Not necessarily in terms of nitty gritty gameplay, but in terms of quality. In terms of a perfect well-constructed, satisfying campaign.

Surprised some of the other reviewers weren't quite as enthused, but it's the kind of game some might not consider as deeply as they should. I suspect it will end up with a strong cult following.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'm still behind on Amanita games (that last card one still needs to be played) but they've never let me down before. I'm sure it will be excellent.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Solid scores. I'm buying this when it comes out.

Also very curious about the Hidden Orchestra soundtrack.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Lot of great scores, don't sleep on Amanita games, people!
Their track record is incredible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TheGamer (4/5):
Amanita basically has a perfect track record when it comes to its different releases and Creaks does not break that trend. It certainly is something new for the studio that longtime fans may not immediately gel with, but those that have a love of the weird and creepy will find a lot to admire in Creaks.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
it's really not like anything they've made before. it's not a point and click game, you actually control the character like a platformer.

I didn't look too much into the game (it was announce pretty recently too, no?) since it's an Amanita game, and now reading the reviews I realize it's not a point and click adventure like I expected at all.

Honestly disappointed. I thought this was going to be an insta-buy, but now I'll check out some gameplay videos first.

Thanks for the review thread!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't look too much into the game (it was announce pretty recently too, no?) since it's an Amanita game, and now reading the reviews I realize it's not a point and click adventure like I expected at all.
it was announced like two years ago, actually. i was pretty sure it was gonna miss 2020 as well so i'm pleasantly surprised it's coming out so soon.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Oh I see! Was it recently re-announced then? I didn't see much buzz around it until last week basically.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Oh I see! Was it recently re-announced then? I didn't see much buzz around it until last week basically.

Frankly, that's largely a consequence of Amanita being a blind spot among the gaming press. Puzzle games (especially those of the point-and-click variety) aren't exactly mainstream these days, and Creaks is Amanita's first title to eschew point-and-click in favour of direct control.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adventure Gamers (4.5/5):
Overall, Creaks is simply a joy. From its intricately hand-drawn graphics to its imaginative world filled to the brim with gloriously bizarre sights and curious characters, it's packed with creative energy and fun. That creativity also yields increasingly tricky puzzles, but they're so cleverly designed that they'll have you scratching your head rather than tearing your hair out. The story may play out around you rather than because of you much of the time, but who cares when you're along for such a spectacularly idiosyncratic ride? Don't expect a typical Amanita gameplay experience, but it's heartily recommended to anyone whose inner child is looking for a challenge.

Xbox Achievements (80/100):
Creaks is a wonderfully atmospheric game that is ingenious in its execution, with a unique art style and excellent sound design. The sheer number of mind-teasing puzzles can be a little relentless at times, but the way that the game's systems evolve and interact with each other over time is incredibly impressive. If you have any love for brain teasers, you should probably consider picking it up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer (recommended):
If you're weary of exhaustingly inexhaustible blockbusters, I'd set aside some time for Creaks. It won't ask for much, and it gives so much in return.

PlayStation Universe (9.5/10):
I was taken back by how much I enjoyed Creaks. For a game I had never heard of, it quickly has become one of my favourite experiences of the year, It's beautiful, enjoyable and everything about it screams quality. Tracking down the paintings and completing their short stories is enjoyable. Along with a great and achievable trophy list, you have a short, amazing experience like no other in recent times. Enjoy people, games like this do not come around very often.

Vortex (9/10, review in Czech, google translation):
Creaks is a fascinating example of design and perfect art. Amanita Design once again proves that it can compete with the best foreign authors of independent games and surpass them in many ways. After the explicitly experiential Chuchl and Pilgrims, Creaks is a full-fledged affair that will really bother you, but will immediately caress you kindly. Braid or Inside found their equal partner in Radim Jurda's play!

Multiplayer.it (8.6/10, review in Italian):
Creaks is quite a diversion from the typical adventure style by Amanita Design, but a smart one. Style and atmosphere are always top notch and the gameplay is more similar to true pure puzzle games here, with a sense of constant menace from the eerie setting.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Ohhh, didn't know this was releasing this week. Great stuff. Love to see Amanita back in top form.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bazimag (9.2/10, review in Farsi):
Amanita Design knocks another one out of the park. If you are trying to find great atmospheric music, jaw-dropping visuals and sometimes challenging puzzles, Creaks should be the only place you are looking for.

NME (4.5/5):
Creaks is an utterly transportive puzzle-platformer that sets the imagination alight and beautifully balances joy and whimsy with an eerie darkness. Like all great fairy tales, it pulls you into its world, which then becomes hard to leave behind.

Guardian (4/5):
It would have been wonderful to see this team's giant imagination expressed through the subversion of, rather than adherence to, well-worn puzzle platform conventions, but perhaps that is just plain greedy. It is, after all, such a treat to find a gorgeous narrative game that owes nothing to the culturally prevalent aesthetics of Disney, Marvel or Studio Ghibli. While the puzzle construction at the heart of Creaks is formulaic, that should not be a disincentive to give this short, singular experience a try. No time with an Amanita Design game is ever wasted.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
of course
www.resetera.com

Creaks |OT| At the Mansion of Madness

👩‍💻 Developer: Amanita Design 🎮 Platforms: Apple Arcade; PC (itch.io, official site, GOG, Steam); PlayStation 4 (PSN); Switch (eShop); Xbox One (XBL) 🏷️ Price: $19.99/€19.99/£17.99 or your regional equivalent* (standard edition); $24.82/€24.82/£22.06 or your regional equivalent* (PC; Collector's...

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'd like to see a review for Switch specifically? I'm going to get this for sure, though, as I love this developer and especially Machinarium.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Polygon (recommended):
Amanita drew design influences from a variety of disparate sources, and managed to build an environment that is a believable fantasy land with a strong sense of internal logic — while feeling like a place where just about anything could happen. From the individual puzzles to the world's staggering scale, from the trinkets strewn about each room to the entire mansion's ramshackle construction, Creaks is a dazzling work of imagination.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly I loved the game! To shamelessly copy and paste from the other thread...my favorite of 2020 so far, and I've played all the big ones (TLOU2, RE3, Animal Crossing, ect.) Beautiful visuals and sound, note-perfect puzzle design, excellent pacing. The game gave me Super Metroid feelings. Not necessarily in terms of nitty gritty gameplay, but in terms of quality. In terms of a perfect well-constructed, satisfying campaign.

Surprised some of the other reviewers weren't quite as enthused, but it's the kind of game some might not consider as deeply as they should. I suspect it will end up with a strong cult following.
How long is it?

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love Amanita so instant buy. Here's a 1 hour that I recently did if anyone wants to watch

Cheers

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gameffine (9.5/10):
Creaks is not only the best game by Amanita so far but also one of the finest in its genre to date. It keeps surprising you through everything it does – be it the stunning artwork, the dynamic soundtrack, the heartwarming humor, the varied enemy types, or the innovative level design. With Creaks, Amanita pushes games as a form of media far enough to be compared to the masterpieces of Pixar or Ghibli. And boy, does it deliver!

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Fans of clever puzzles and masterfully told dark fairytales will delight in Creaks. Bursting with atmosphere and quirky style, Amanita's latest is full of clever puzzles and wordless storytelling. Its distinctive flavour won't be to everyone's taste, but this is an impeccably told fairytale that will also give your brain a thorough workout.

Eurogamer Italy (8/10, review in Italian):
Creaks is extremely unique and different from the usual games crafted by the talented Amanita Design team. Still it is again the quintessence of an incredible work of visual and audio art intertwined in order to create a striking and funny puzzle game. An indie must buy like the previous Samorost, Machinarium and Botanicula.

SECTOR.sk (8/10, review in Slovak):
Amanita Design's new puzzle game offers a wonderful trip into a weird and dark world.

Vandal (7.5/10, review in Spanish):
Creaks is a great game if you like puzzles. It's beautiful and challenging, although it ends up feeling a little bit repetitive, with some puzzle designs that feel too similar to each other.

Bonus Stage (7/10):
When a mystery door reveals itself to you, do you ignore it, or grab your torch and go exploring? Do the latter and discover the eerie subterranean world of the Avian and the Creaks.