• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Coming to all platforms btw in case anyone was wondering.

qlkiBPa.png

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True successor of Machinarium (as length and depth for a game)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True successor of Machinarium (as length and depth for a game)
samorost 3 was also the same length as machinarium (~5 hours), but yeah this looks like the closest thing to machinarium they've made since that game out. also if i'm not mistaken, this is their first game where the player character is a human!

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I've never missed an Amanita Design game, and this one won't be any different. Looks delightful.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
samorost 3 was also the same length as machinarium (~5 hours), but yeah this looks like the closest thing to machinarium they've made since that game out. also if i'm not mistaken, this is their first game where the player character is a human!

I loved Samorost 3 and found machinarium to be a snoozefest, so Im iffy on this entry

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the dude from Samorost wasn't a human?

I loved Samorost 3 and found machinarium to be a snoozefest, so Im iffy on this entry
check out Botanicula

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Seems the game is currently pencilled in for the 15th, per its position on Steam's Coming Soon list when ordered by release date.

This is going to be a long two weeks.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
THIS MONTH, YES!
I've been looking forward to this for so long, can't wait!
Love the art style so much. Like Machinarium, every frame looks like a page from a slightly spooky children's book, and I am all for it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
THIS MONTH, YES!
I've been looking forward to this for so long, can't wait!
Love the art style so much. Like Machinarium, every frame looks like a page from a slightly spooky children's book, and I am all for it.

The PS Blog published a post from Amanita today that has an interesting anecdote about the game's look. The creative director(?) would scan hand-drawn scenes to use as the blueprint for what would end up as in-game assets following some digital tweaking, and he figured buying a new scanner would help move things along -- which it did, but it also removed the imperfections of the paper itself, so he went back to using his old one:

When I first started working on the layout of this mansion and the individual levels, I decided to use a rather inconvenient style of work. I had drawn the first background assets with ink on several A4 sheets, which I scanned one by one using a small ancient scanner. One background would take up to 10 sheets that I would digitally glue together in software. As you may have guessed, this didn't feel like the most efficient method — so I saved up enough money to buy a much better A3-format scanner. But…

50063366337_5175a320c9_b.jpg

As ridiculous as it sounds, this new scanner was too good. In comparison to the old one, the expensive high-quality scanner's output lacked the imperfections. It eliminated the natural texture of paper, which was something essential to the feel of my drawings. So I went back to the old scanner, dealing with the fact that I'll need to scan twice as many pictures to achieve the desired effect. That wasn't much of a hassle compared to the fact that I needed to draw each picture three times. First digitally sketching it on my computer, then printing it and duplicating it with a pencil through translucent paper, and finally, redrawing it with a pen and watercolor. Then it was all colorized and put together with digital post-production.

This probably explains why the game has taken eight years to make. ;)

Last edited:

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
The PS Blog published a post from Amanita today that has an interesting anecdote about the game's look. The creative director(?) would scan hand-drawn scenes to use as the blueprint for what would end up as in-game assets following some digital tweaking, and he figured buying a new scanner would help move things along -- which it did, but it also removed the imperfections of the paper itself, so he went back to using his old one:

This probably explains why the game has taken eight years to make. ;)[/URL]
Woah, that's really cool! Indeed no wonder it took a while, then. The hand drawn art really is worth the wait, imo.
Thanks for sharing that post!

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. I never knew about this game.

I absolutely love Machinarium (first played it on my Blackberry Playbook lmao) and I can't even guess how many times I played through it.

I should play the Samarost games sometime.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This got me hearing the Machinarium OST again. Hoping to play this one day.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Whoaaa that's soon...saw the trailer earlier today but didn't realize it was this month....I admittedly don't love the art style or character design as much as most of their stuff but it still looks wonderful, can't wait

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oh, I didn't realise this was Amanita! That makes so much sense.

Love the concept of things appearing different in the dark, definitely going to check this out.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

Samorost and Botanicula dev's dark puzzle adventure Creaks finally out this month

Samorost and Botanicula developer Amanita Design's long-awaited, and slightly sinister, puzzle adventure Creaks will be…
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Amanita Design launching Creaks this month

The makers of lovely games including Samorost, Chuchel, and Machinarium have announced their next game, Creaks, will la…
www.gameinformer.com

Solve Some Stylish Puzzles In Creaks

The adventure-puzzler is coming this month.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not sure if i want to get this on PC or switch... i've played all past amanita games on PC.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
This looks promising. Amanita, a soundtrack by Hidden Orchestra and puzzle gameplay... seems like a day one purchase to me.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Fuck yeah! Have been anticipating indies titles like this, Tunic, and Eastward for what feels like ages now with no release frame in sight. Hyped to see it out so soon.

Now to decide between PC or Switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.