• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Newer TVs should auto-switch when a console is detected. By should I mean it's an actual feature.
Only after you activate it the first time.

My OLED has a "game mode" on it, but I had to look for it after switching from PC to TV Tekken, and noticing that the input lag felt like I was playing on 56K again.

The TV has "memorized" this setting for gaming, and switches automatically now.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I went over to a friend's house to play CoD and I noticed right away how scuffed the input was. I'm like bruh put this shit on PC input and he's all what's that. did it for him and said it's a world's difference. he was already really good with all that input lag too lol

This.
I am a gamer for 30 years and just found out 3 years ago i need to put it on PC input. Felt so stupid i did not knew this.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That and along with having a horribly inaccurate picture settings. Like having cool set as the color temperature or having the sharpness dialed all the way up. It looks terrible. I had to try really hard to convince some stubborn people i know to dial in the correct settings on their tv and after FINALLY doing so they are amazed at what a difference it makes.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I didnt realize i was doing this until i played the megaman x collection, i knew something was off because it was so different from the original version.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
100% sure this is why some people struggle with certain games eg. fighting games

I've refused to play on anything that has more than a single frame of input lag specifically because of fighting games, and also usually just play on a PC monitor that is below that for them. Even the arcade games had input lag to a degree, but it was nothing like the way it was back in 2009 on many modern TVs, even sometimes within "Game Mode". It was great going to a local event, only to play on some 50'' wall mounted TV that seemed like it actually had 800ms of input lag. This wasn't even on the PS3 either.

The first time I played through God of War (2018) was on a crappy, but "lagless" monitor, and when I later tried playing it on even just a 40ms TV, it seemed like I was trying to push against molasses.

Oh god. My grandparents have that mode enabled on their TV. I can't stand it.

A few years ago one of my relatives ended up with a new TV that they said they really liked, but that they were being really annoyed by that feature and asked me if I knew how to turn it off for them. A neighbor just recently asked me how to do it in October.

Also, it's kind of funny how some can't stand that effect while watching shows, but want 60+ FPS in video games. Another friend, who only plays on the consoles was playing some games on my PC, and was saying that it looked and felt "weird". When I said that it was because it was 60fps, he said that it seemed like the soap opera effect most people don't want active, but I actually wasn't seeing that at all.

Last edited:

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That and along with having a horribly inaccurate picture settings. Like having cool set as the color temperature or having the sharpness dialed all the way up. It looks terrible. I had to try really hard to convince some stubborn people i know to dial in the correct settings on their tv and after FINALLY doing so they are amazed at what a difference it makes.
Man cool temp is the worst. They try out warm and go *yuck it looks yellow!* Without realizing the settings they usually use make the whole picture neon blue

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Was today at someones house and noticed while playing it had the worst input lag i ever witnessed, they don't know what im talking about put it in game mode etc for them let them play feel the difference they said it does feel slightly more responsive.

Then when going back and turning off game mode etc they noticed a bigger difference seeing how bad it was and how they been playing like this all this time now they see improvement in their gameplay k/ds etc, it was some Hisense tv i think it was never heard of some company.

I think awareness should be spread about game mode on tvs and what input lag is to casual gamers and even some hardcores seem to still not know what it is aswell instead of blaming their own abilities why they're not playing well the blame should be on their poor displays not meant for gaming hindering them

edit: 2.0 punctuation added

Progress is being made on this. Hopefully all next gen consoles and most new TVs will support the feature below.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play my PS4 games through a capture card on my PC for a while and thought Sekiro was way too punishing, but when I plugged my PS4 directly into my monitor it became significantly easier and I just blasted through the game.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I realized it was switched off on my TV, so thank you for bringing this up, but my TV can't do a gaming mode paired with HDR, which is kinda annoying.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I play with interpolation for single player games... even the newest COD.

Always played like that with DriveClub. Looked much smoother.

Not the highest setting, but the middle one "smooth" for LG OLEDs.

The games look and move Amazing! 😈

BUT obviously, game mode for Madden, COD Online, UFC Online, etc.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Some people also use different picture modes (standard, cinema etc) because they find that the game mode degrades picture quality. I did notice this with older TVs like the Sony 930e that I had but with the Samsung Q9FN I just don't see the difference at all.

Low input lag all the way, for any game really.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I have game mode on with some processing features turn on and I don't notice any diference. I guess it depends on the type of games you play.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This is why cloud gaming latency might not be as big a deal to a lot of people. If anything they'll just notice the improved ping to servers for multiplayer matches and call it a win

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I notice it instantly, and I'm not a high FPS PC enthusiast.

I didn't play the Switch Megaman collections because the lag was so frustrating. The recent SaGa re-release, also on Switch, has insane lag.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Man so many people have their tv's wrong. Worst offender i see often is sharpness way too high. And ofcourse contrast settings all wrong and then they complain how the game looks bad.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I play with interpolation for single player games... even the newest COD.

Always played like that with DriveClub. Looked much smoother.

Not the highest setting, but the middle one "smooth" for LG OLEDs.

The games look and move Amazing! 😈

BUT obviously, game mode for Madden, COD Online, UFC Online, etc.

me too, I'd take(for me) unnoticeable input lag for much smoother console games.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Constantly see sharpness all the way up, cool color temp, all kinds of processing effects turned up, game or pc mode off, and overscan. Friends have gotten used to having me calibrate every screen I come across...at the very least, I knock some of the input lag out, and it becomes much easier to look at the screen for the length of a movie or game session.
I play with my sharpness all the way up. I'm using a 65" TCL for my Switch and because of my set up, I'm sitting roughly 5-6 feet away from the screen

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Learnt about PC mode years ago and have been thankful ever since. Basically turns off all that shit.

Still cant believe how smeary the image looks, even after PC mode, on modern expensive TV's compared to my old as fuck plasma TV. It's gross.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My TV's lowest input lag is 45ms. I also run my consoles through a capture card and play through the live preview because my TV also doubles as my only monitor. I probably play with over 100ms of input lag on consoles LUL

Last edited:

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
I knew people who'd watched stretched 4:3 SD content on their first HD TV for years. Sometimes it was a matter of just switching to a different channel because they were paying for HD cable, but they were just used to going to that old number.

I always want to know and understand everything about using my purchases, whether it's an expensive TV or electric toothbrush.
In-laws always watch the SD channels and I'm like, can we please switch to the HD channel? They're like "what a pain in the ass, nobody can see any difference, I read that you must sit max one meter from the TV to see any difference". Then we switch anyway and they still thinks it's not worth it.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
In-laws always watch the SD channels and I'm like, can we please switch to the HD channel? They're like "what a pain in the ass, nobody can see any difference, I read that you must sit max one meter from the TV to see any difference". Then we switch anyway and they still thinks it's not worth it.

Yikes. How is it harder to choose the HD version instead of SD to begin with even if they don't care about the difference?

Do these people need glasses? I'd be worried about riding in their car.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
I saw two televisions today and both had interpolation on. I'm not the one to take a dump on someone's setup if no one asks but damn it drives me nuts. I suppose they're happy with it though!

Angst72

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes. How is it harder to choose the HD version instead of SD to begin with even if they don't care about the difference?

Do these people need glasses? I'd be worried about riding in their car.
Channel 1, 2, 3 or 4, vs 151, 152, 153 or 154. SVT 1 is on channel 1 for them and always will be.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, it's kind of funny how some can't stand that effect while watching shows, but want 60+ FPS in video games. Another friend, who only plays on the consoles was playing some games on my PC, and was saying that it looked and felt "weird". When I said that it was because it was 60fps, he said that it seemed like the soap opera effect most people don't want active, but I actually wasn't seeing that at all.
Interesting considering these are not the same. Content rendered natively at 60fps and 24/30fps content interpolated to 60fps are entirely different.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I was initially concerned when I got my new 4K Vizio earlier this year and Uncharted 4 felt like shit to play, until I set it to "Game Mode". It's a night and day difference.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Won't a TV try and do it's post-processing (that causes the lag) on a streaming signal also?
Yes. The lag stacks. "This is why streaming isn't so bad" is just hot nonsense absent some negative latency setups that really only exist in Google's extremely pie-in-the-sky marketing.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
These are not the same. Content rendered natively at 60fps and 24/30fps content interpolated to 60fps are entirely different.

I know they aren't the same. I was simply mentioning how one can look so drastically different to one person, yet claimed to look "the same" to another is all. As far as shows go though, I actually can't stand HFR content either, and it's not using "fake" frames. Even when it's actually 60fps it just looks so bad to me, yet games do not.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
For those that don't know. It's pretty simple.

Go to your TV's settings, then go to Picture Mode - you'll see choices like, Standard, Dynamic, Movie, Sports, ---> [GAME] <----

And then choose Game. What this does is turn off all bullshit post processing the TV does to minimize input lag. Also, most video-philes agree that these extra things, not only add input lag, but fuck up the natural image as well.

You can also adjust sharpness and color and all that stuff to your desire afterwards too. Setting your TV on game mode often turns the sharpness and color way too high. You can adjust those settings down and everything should be good.

DMC5 is the only game that I've played, where there is a one time message (and only one time, so it's not invasive) where it recommends the player to put their display to Game Picture Mode.

I wish other developers did that too. You can't blame people if they simply don't know. So education on these things is important. I mean, thank the person who told me about it, all those years ago.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Man my brother in law had his tv in demo mode. The mode they have on for in shops. I kid you not!!

He played CoD games on that very terrible bright high input lag mode...😂

I was like how the f did you survive like that all those years..

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I love my plasma but even in game mode it has over 73ms of input lag. Finally got tired of it and just started playing everything on my PC gaming monitor. I think LCD technology sucks and my plasma has a far superior image quality, but the lag is so much more important than anything else.

One is actually being rendered 60x every second while the other isn't. Also games are not the same as TV/video. A 24fps game looks a lot choppier and blurrier than film.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
High input lag is like gokus weighted clothes. Its good for training your gamer skills.

It adds an innate level of difficulty and requires sharpend reaction times.

Theres a high learning curve so i can understand most people whimping out. But if you can git gud, then you will experience gaming in another level.

You'll literally be able to feel the frames before they appear.

this better be non serious

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Laggy TVs do make streaming make more sense, especially if they put the input wifi directly into the gamepad.
Display lag doesn't mask streaming lag. It adds to it.

Oh god. My grandparents have that mode enabled on their TV. I can't stand it.

I would use it more, if not for the input lag. Smoothness is very important to me. That's from a 2010 Sony TV.
I think a lot of people have only used displays with bad interpolation processing and assume that it's all bad. It will never be perfect of course, but perfect is the enemy of good.

Man cool temp is the worst. They try out warm and go *yuck it looks yellow!* Without realizing the settings they usually use make the whole picture neon blue
I generally agree with you; all of my own displays are calibrated to D65.
But I was round at my sister's place for the holidays this weekend, and she really likes to have cool lighting in all of her lamps. Very much the opposite of my taste, where I use Hue color lights to have extra-warm lighting below 2000K.
She had a new Samsung TV that I set up for her, and using the warm color temperature settings looked bad in those lighting conditions. I was also surprised to find that this particular TV doesn't even let you select the warm color temperature settings if it's not in the movie picture mode (it's an older/low-end model).

Some people also use different picture modes (standard, cinema etc) because they find that the game mode degrades picture quality. I did notice this with older TVs like the Sony 930e that I had but with the Samsung Q9FN I just don't see the difference at all.
It really depends on the TV. With my Sony LCD game mode actually improves image quality by displaying full RGB/4:4:4 chroma, while the other picture modes are subsampled 4:2:2.
The only other difference between game mode on/off is that it disables the interpolation and noise reduction features. All picture options are available, and there's no other effect on image quality.

Oct 25, 2017
Seen this. Also seen my friend proudly proclaiming his new 4K TV amazingness and how games look incredible ......... while running everything on his PS4 Pro in 1080p.
As an owner of a PS4 Pro and a 4K TV, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing 1080p mode on it. Frames before pixels brah.