• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Was today at someones house and noticed while playing it had the worst input lag i ever witnessed, they don't know what im talking about put it in game mode etc for them let them play feel the difference they said it does feel slightly more responsive.

Then when going back and turning off game mode etc they noticed a bigger difference seeing how bad it was and how they been playing like this all this time now they see improvement in their gameplay k/ds etc, it was some Hisense tv i think it was never heard of some company.

I think awareness should be spread about game mode on tvs and what input lag is to casual gamers and even some hardcores seem to still not know what it is aswell instead of blaming their own abilities why they're not playing well the blame should be on their poor displays not meant for gaming hindering them

edit: 2.0 punctuation added

Last edited:

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
I went over to a friend's house to play CoD and I noticed right away how scuffed the input was. I'm like bruh put this shit on PC input and he's all what's that. did it for him and said it's a world's difference. he was already really good with all that input lag too lol

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Newer TVs should auto-switch when a console is detected. By should I mean it's an actual feature.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
meanwhile I haven't been able to properly use my TV for a week because I constantly feel the need to calibrate it to perfection

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
When I got my TCL and discovered game mode, it was such a huge difference as someone who played MLB The Show for years with horrible lag on my old panel.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
High input lag is like gokus weighted clothes. Its good for training your gamer skills.

It adds an innate level of difficulty and requires sharpend reaction times.

Theres a high learning curve so i can understand most people whimping out. But if you can git gud, then you will experience gaming in another level.

You'll literally be able to feel the frames before they appear.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
In general it's mind blowing when you see how people play.

One friend of mine showed me a game he was playing at the time. As soon as the actual gameplay starts the frame rate goes down to 10-20 fps... I sit there and stare at the screen in shock because not only did he play like this all the time apparently but also didn't seem to notice/mind at all.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Constantly see sharpness all the way up, cool color temp, all kinds of processing effects turned up, game or pc mode off, and overscan. Friends have gotten used to having me calibrate every screen I come across...at the very least, I knock some of the input lag out, and it becomes much easier to look at the screen for the length of a movie or game session.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I knew people who'd watched stretched 4:3 SD content on their first HD TV for years. Sometimes it was a matter of just switching to a different channel because they were paying for HD cable, but they were just used to going to that old number.

I always want to know and understand everything about using my purchases, whether it's an expensive TV or electric toothbrush.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
A friend of mine had no idea why it felt so bad to play on his TV, I told him what to do and he couldn't believe how much better it felt! Average Joe just doesn't know.

This is before we get into games with crippling input lag that's built into the rendering chain, must be a miserable experience.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was tinkering around on my TV and put it on something other than game mode and noticed how bad this shit was.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I'm excited for HDMI 2.1 TVs and consoles to support ALLM & 4K@120FPS. It's obviously going to take some time to propagate, but in 10 years the latency issue that has unknowingly plagued many gamers who just aren't knowledgeable about latency issues will go away as more and more people move to HDMI 2.1 displays.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm excited for HDMI 2.1 TVs and consoles to support ALLM & 4K@120FPS. It's obviously going to take some time to propagate, but in 10 years the latency issue that has unknowingly plagued many gamers who just aren't knowledgeable about latency issues will go away as more and more people move to HDMI 2.1 displays.
That if climate change doesn't get a lot worse in 10 years and prices of technology sky rockets.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I watch Netflix and Prime etc all through the XBOX, so could not be fucked switching the settings for the XBOX channel every time we do one or the other. And you can bet your ass I'm not gonna watch TV or moves in game mode.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
There are people who think the earth is flat...humans are pretty stupid creatures a lot of the time.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My TVs since 2012 have picked up my consoles as consoles and set than input to game mode automatically.
You must have to have a jank-ass TV for that not to happen.

Although people simply get used to it, I remember going to a friend's for a Halo Lan party, we all took out consoles and TVs. A couple of the younger ones had awful no-name budget LCD tvs with their Xboxes not even in 720p mode, the picture and the lag was awful.

But that did not stop them being amazing at the game.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I played a bit at my cousins house and it's insane, borderline unplayable.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
No kidding. I was at a friends house who must've had this new TV for 8 months. He handed me the controller to play rocket league and there was so much input lag. I ask him about it and he said "yeah you know I have noticed it's a little delayed."

I switched it to game mode for him and he couldn't believe it hahaha.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Maybe this is the reason why some people come here and say.. "hey I don't see any difference between 30 and 60 fps"

They are playing with all the motion interpolation stuff on so of course you won't notice the stuttery 30 fps.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Honestly people who don't know how to configure their TVs probably don't play games at a high enough level to care, I think they are going to be okay.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any tested proof that every manufacturer's "Game Mode" does reduces the lag or by how much ?

I played GoW on two different set of TV's and the older one felt right while the new 4k tv with game mode on felt laggy.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a gaming monitor/tv won't make you better.
Only gaming chairs do that

I know you're joking, but switching to a monitor instead of my shitty high input lag LCD TV for SFIV literally doubled my win-rate.

I'm with you OP, the number of people who play with high latency is bad enough, but even worse are the folks who can't tell the difference when you fix it for them!

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I never used to use game mode on any tv and tbh I really never had an issue, and I play a lot of fighting and (used to) rhythm games.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The dude whose house we all go to when we play Smash Bros. has TVs with the absolute worst input lag. I mention it all the time, but everybody's like, "Smash is super casual, it doesn't matter", and I'm genuinely concerned about how long they've all been dealing with this issue to the point where they don't notice it.

I was so happy with Smash Bros. on the Wii U because one day I decided to use the tablet as a controller and for display. I was kicking ass, and nobody could figure out why.

Also ran into the same issue a long time ago when Rock Band and Guitar Hero were still a thing. I'm pretty good on the drums, so we were playing at a friend's house, and I absolutely couldn't get used to the lag. They didn't calibrate it or use game mode or anything.

The part I'm most confused about is all my friends are PC gamers too. I don't know how that input lag doesn't bother them.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Laggy TVs do make streaming make more sense, especially if they put the input wifi directly into the gamepad.

I have a few friends who have laggy TVs and it's always upsetting to watch.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any tested proof that every manufacturer's "Game Mode" does reduces the lag or by how much ?

I played GoW on two different set of TV's and the older one felt right while the new 4k tv with game mode on felt laggy.
There are sites like rtings and DisplayLag that test these kinds of things. Some TVs are much better than others at this.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No kidding. I was at a friends house who must've had this new TV for 8 months. He handed me the controller to play rocket league and there was so much input lag. I ask him about it and he said "yeah you know I have noticed it's a little delayed."

I switched it to game mode for him and he couldn't believe it hahaha.
I'll never understand the type of person who runs into an issue with technology and doesn't immediately Google how to fix it.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I know how to set my tv's color to "Game" but I have no idea how to change anything with input lag so I'm probably one of these people right now....

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I never use it because the image quality takes a massive hit when I turn it on. Dull colors, dark image....

And I don't really notice the difference tbh

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I've never considered latency.

I know my OLED has bad latency.

I still game just fine though, including competitively online.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
That's me. I play with soap opera effect on. I played my games in their hardest difficulty anyways. I'm kind of a masochist.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
My parents bought a 4K TV and image doesnt even look HD to me but they don't seem to notice it at all. Most people generally don't care or don't notice these kinds of things. Drives me mad personally.