• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Here's what China audience love:
1. Underwater CG creatures
2. CG superhero
3. CG robots
4. CG

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the story is done to death especially in Chinese shows and it has pretty questionable portrayal of the Chinese. It's a 6 at best.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
FNNdJip.jpg

Let's not get into why that image is in bad taste.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A stark contrast to how Black Panther overperformed in most African countries. Asians have well developed film studios making high quality films while there's more hunger for that in black countries.
big budget Marvel blockbuster action movie? kind of a bad comparison.... how do Tyler Perry movies perform?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
not sure why people thought a movie about general asian american culture from the lense of America would do any kind of well of asians globally. cause they are asian?

We are a melting pot society. Homogeneous societies that dont really understand American culture on top of that would obviously not take

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
china doesn't need movies tailored around asian representation because they already have hundreds of movies starring only chinese actors

plus if they're anything like india, their sense of humor is completely different to american humor, so what hits for us won't hit for them.

lastly, pretty much the driving notion in the movie is that "old money families are stuffy and suck." china doesn't have old money families. so it's seemingly like that for most chinese viewers, it's not lambasting generationally rich chinese people but just chinese people in general. that, for obvious reasons, doesn't sit well for them.

even removed from all of that, the movie is about an ethnically chinese woman who's basically just an american coming into a chinese family, and the central conflict is that the chinese-ness of that family is a roadblock for her happiness. obvious why chinese viewers who aren't super aware of the type of culture or attitudes asian-americans have or grow up in end up befuddled.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone could have predicted this. The whole premise has zero appeal to that market and never tried to.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The narrative that China is punishing a movie because it's mediocre is so weird guys.
Stop.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world won't appreciate Madea until after Tyler Perry is gone. All the great artists gain respect after they've passed and people's taste have time to mature.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I saw it in Taiwan a couple weeks ago at a second run theater. It was moderately popular here, buy not a smash hit. I don't remember any of my students talking about it.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Asian American culture is not Asian culture. It's its own thing and that's fine too.

This was why I wasn't entirely on board when people were declaring success when Crazy Rich Asians did well at Hollywood. It's a success story only through this one framework.
Asians already have their own successes in their own markets

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
The narrative that China is punishing a movie because it's mediocre is so weird guys.
Stop.
this right here. China is the land of "we'll give a fuckton of money to fast and furious and transformers but we hate star wars."

china doesn't give a shit about if a movie's good or not. if it appeals to them, it appeals. if not, it doesn't.

and more specifically, they definitely don't care about your specific hot take. CRA is sitting at 90%+ on RT. just because a movie doesn't speak to you or you don't enjoy it, doesn't mean it's a bad movie. it just means you didn't like it.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Romantic comedies are the bread and butter of Asian countries. A movie like Crazy Rich Asians isn't really anything unique in Asia.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this surprising? Chinese see movies with them all the time.
For Asian Americans it was one of the most important movie releases in their lives, but for Asians it was a Tuesday

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No surprise given that a) it's an english romcom (unless they dubbed it? I don't know) b) the cultural significance of the movie isn't relevant to the Chinese market, making it dime a dozen in a saturated genre.

And that's not going to change even for the sequel that majorly features Shanghai.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
Asian populace generally do not consider rich ass ppl as heroes. There always looked upon with suspicion.

Oct 30, 2017
It's not for them. They don't exactly have issues with the representation of Asian in films. Plus the fact it's about an Asian American and not just Asians; which is a very important distinction, and it's the first Hollywood film with full Asian leads in like 20 goddamn years.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Asian populace generally do not consider rich ass ppl as heroes. There always looked upon with suspicion.

What? No, that's patently not the case. There are so many Chinese/HK/Taiwanese/Korean/Japanese dramas and romcoms focusing on corporate, elites and the class gap. Whatever irl suspicion they have of the rich and wealthy is the same as how Western society looks at them.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The original writing and basically every comment in here fails to account for the fact that comedies, romances, and dramas are heavily dialogue-based. That includes idioms and regional terms that rarely translate well, if at all. It's a known quantity that those issues largely hold those genres back when moving between cultural boundaries.

Action movies and other genres that rely more on visual markers don't suffer the same way.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
I've been meaning to ask about something regarding this film.

Is four years of college really enough to transform a Singlish accent to an American one? I can't imagine it'd be something that happens naturally unless the person is taking a communications degree. I had a cousin who spent his entire uni life in the UK, and he still speaks English with the same accent he's had all his life.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It begs the question why at minimum it opened in 2000 theaters over there. I get there are certain deals made that forces a situation like this but all these contracts should have clauses based on social media metrics and pre-screens. This seems like an easy disaster to avoid.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope people remember this the next time they decide to conflate representation of Asian Americans and East Asian actors and actresses in China.
I know this isn't happening.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I am very rapidly losing my patience with the whole HURR HURR THEY HAVE THEIR OWN ROMCOMs garbage, thanks

It begs the question why at minimum it opened in 2000 theaters over there. I get there are certain deals made that forces a situation like this but all these contracts should have clauses based on social media metrics and pre-screens. This seems like an easy disaster to avoid.

Because the movie made a fuckload of money anyways and they don't care

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017

China doesn't have stipulations on how long films need to play in a threatre before being pulled. So CRA got 33k showings in China on opening night. By that Sunday (Day 3), it was 14k showings. By the second Friday, it was basically not playing in China anymore. They just gave the screens to Aquaman instead.

So the risk in trying something is small. Domestically, theatres have to show a big studio film for at least two full weeks, often with a stipulation on the types and quantity of screens.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not all Asians are Chinese. Just because the lead actors have Asian blood does not mean it automatically appeals to every Asian people.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
What? No, that's patently not the case. There are so many Chinese/HK/Taiwanese/Korean/Japanese dramas and romcoms focusing on corporate, elites and the class gap. Whatever irl suspicion they have of the rich and wealthy is the same as how Western society looks at them.
Right and in those shows about class gap, the protagonists are the POOR.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
it's not surprising, we talked a lot about this movie because of its cast but it's only appealing to asian-american really.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy Rich Asians did well because western audiences were craving representation. That unique situation doesn't exist in China.

Chinese tastes are much, much more blockbuster oriented. Which is fine. You could argue that America was there back in the 80s.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Right and in those shows about class gap, the protagonists are the POOR.

No, that's a poor presumption. They run the gamut; from poor protagonist attaining an elite status, an elite losing it all, a Romeo and Juliet spin on a rich and poor coupling, heroic elite protagonists navigating a treacherous corporate world, big dynastic stories about an elite family running hundreds of episodes, among countless, countless others. On evil and villainous elites, what kind of drama is without adversity?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's like having your Pikachu perform an electric attack against Zapdos.
An Electric attack against Zapdos would actually do neutral damage, since Zapdos is Flying.
So Volt Tackle, which is a strong STAB move, would actually do good damage on Zapdos.
I'm not sorry.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Not all Asians are Chinese. Just because the lead actors have Asian blood does not mean it automatically appeals to every Asian people.
While that's something that has been said before multiple times in the last 2 decades you could imagine how this misunderstanding persists when white Americans are going to be more ok with watching what Brits, Aussies, French, Polish etc produce. It's a cultural blindspot.

Nov 3, 2017
What a lot of Westerners often fail to grasp is the sheer breadth and diversity of the Chinese diaspora. Many of us live our entire lives with no connection to the mainland, and with vastly different cultural views and backgrounds. For example, the eating of Yee Sang during Chinese New Year is deeply embedded in the cultural consciousness of Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese, but is alien to any other Chinese community.

Like fucking Malaysian Chinese and Singaporean Chinese are fond of counting the differences between us, let alone Asian Americans (which would include far more than just the Chinese) and mainland Chinese.

Even in terms of entertainment, our tastes are divergent. Chinese entertainment has largely failed to establish a foothold outside the mainland, with many of us favouring k-dramas over anything that came out of China itself

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've been meaning to ask about something regarding this film.

Is four years of college really enough to transform a Singlish accent to an American one? I can't imagine it'd be something that happens naturally unless the person is taking a communications degree. I had a cousin who spent his entire uni life in the UK, and he still speaks English with the same accent he's had all his life.

It really depends on the individual. Some people's accent basically never change from the way they speak since they became adults. There are others who's accent changes like the wind.

I had a classmate who went to Australia and came back with an Australian accent after being there for 6 months. I also had a university school mate who went to Ireland for 3 months and came back with some weird accent that no one can place and he spoke like that for the next few years.

I would say that as a Singaporean, we code switch pretty well in general, even for those of us who have not gone overseas for education. Singlish outside the office, proper English as much as possible in work environment.

One of the points that didn't translate from book to film is that the elders and the rich society in the book perceives Britain to be the defacto choice for sending their kids to further their education. It's a holdover from our colonial days as the old rich in the past before our independence would have received British English education as taught to them by the British and then go on to the UK for further studies. So old money families are likely to speak more like the British.

The mom and her peers look down on Rachel because she's US educated and not UK educated like her son has been. I grew up hearing rich folks who think that the only universities worth sending their kids or grandkids to are the ones in the UK.

In fact it wasn't even dumplings that they ate at the house. It was tea with scones. The movie went above and beyond to to the Asianess of the book. Making dumplings is not an essential part of our Chinese culture because it really depends on which part of China your ancestors came from. My family and relatives never sit down to make meat dumplings together. We're more likely to make zong zi and other things but never the dumplings shown in the movie.