• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Adele Lim tells The Hollywood Reporter she left the project after Warner Bros. offered her far less than her male co-writer. Now the studio is scrambling to overcome delays and assemble its in-demand stars for a late 2020 shoot.
A year after Crazy Rich Asians opened No. 1 at the box office (on its way to a $238.5 million global gross) and raised Asian representation in Hollywood to new heights, its sequels have been slow to launch.

Although director Jon M. Chu had hoped to keep the creative team intact, co-writer Adele Lim no longer is involved with the project, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. At issue is pay parity: Co-writer Peter Chiarelli, as an experienced feature scribe who broke out with 2009's The Proposal, was to be paid a significantly higher fee than Lim, a veteran TV writer who never had penned a feature until Chu hired her to work on the screenplay. (Before Chu boarded the project, producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force already had enlisted Chiarelli to adapt Kevin Kwan's 2013 best-selling novel.)

"Being evaluated that way can't help but make you feel that is how they view my contributions," says Lim, who believes that women and people of color often are regarded as "soy sauce" — hired to sprinkle culturally specific details on a screenplay, rather than credited with the substantive work of crafting the story.

She declined to provide specific figures, but sources say that Warner Bros.' starting offers were $800,000 to $1 million for Chiarelli and $110,000-plus for Lim. Warners explained to Lim's reps that the quotes are industry-standard established ranges based on experience and that making an exception would set a troubling precedent in the business. The talks escalated to studio chairman Toby Emmerich, who backed his business affairs department's stance.

Complicating matters was the fact that Lim had already inked a first-position contract with Disney Animation for four years. But the Malaysian-born writer, who is penning its Southeast Asian mythology-influenced feature Raya and the Last Dragon, says that Disney would have been willing to do a "carve out" on her availability.

After Lim walked away from a deal last fall, Color Force spent about five months fielding other writers of Asian descent for the job. (Chu, who was prepping to shoot Warners' In the Heights, was not involved.) They came back to Lim in February with an offer closer to parity with Chiarelli, who had volunteered to split his fee with her, but Lim passed.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
People will say, like WB, "that's how the system works", but that's exactly her point, the system favors those who have already had an in, and though she played equal part in creating a blockbuster hit, she won't get an equal part of the writer's fee for the sequel, because, as an Asian American female writer, she's not been given as many chances before as her co-writer. So good for her standing up for the fight and not accepting the pity compromise they tried to offer her.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
They came back to Lim in February with an offer closer to parity with Chiarelli, who had volunteered to split his fee with her, but Lim passed.

Fucking idiots. Should have done that in the first place. But now that they realise they can't find someone to replace her so easily, after that they come crawling back.

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her, she's using her leverage to try and get paid what she thinks she's worth. It may work, it may not, but I applaud her for doing that

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with her body of work but the fact WB spent 5 months trying to find a replacement and had to go back to her on their knees is music to my fucking ears.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
With that level of discrepancy, I was expecting to see a whole lot more credits on Chiarelli's profile.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Co-writer Peter Chiarelli, as an experienced feature scribe who broke out with 2009's The Proposal, was to be paid a significantly higher fee than Lim, a veteran TV writer who never had penned a feature until Chu hired her to work on the screenplay. (Before Chu boarded the project, producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force already had enlisted Chiarelli to adapt Kevin Kwan's 2013 best-selling novel.)

The Chiarelli guy has a history in features, so he was bound to be paid more for a feature imo - his credits are lacking but uncredited work is very common in Hollywood. But those numbers

sources say that Warner Bros.' starting offers were $800,000 to $1 million for Chiarelli and $110,000-plus for Lim.

not sure about that one chief

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Getting payed more for experience and success, I understand, but the disparity shouldn't be that high.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The Chiarelli guy has a history in features, so he was bound to be paid more for a feature imo - his credits are lacking but uncredited work is very common in Hollywood. But those numbers

not sure about that one chief
Pfft a 10x difference. Ridiculous. Brave of her to walk away from an opportunity as a minority, but hopefully that insultingly low offer made it easy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I looking at their credits....damn and the old addage seems to be holding twice as hard for half as much. But this time a tenth as much.

Props to her for calling out the bullshit, the fact they came back to her says a lot. Other Asian writers probably said the same thing

Nov 30, 2018
I expect comments to be

"nobody went to see the film because they wrote it"

just like every other time a woman or minority is shafted salary wise

Gillian Anderson, Michelle Williams, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Claire Foy

Oct 26, 2017
WB has been fucking up with their asian workers for a while now. Between this and the harassment a while ago, they've really dropped the ball.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, she definitely won't be able to be a Crazy Rich Asian with a pay like that, that's for sure. 1/8 of the pay at the most is abysmal, especially considering that she is surely going to do much more than just 1/8th of the work.

Dec 31, 2017
It's not unreasonable or surprising that someone with more industry experience gets paid more. Stupid of WB to lowball her when clearly they need her.

How much more experience are we talking here? Was her pay in line with men at her given level?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Dumb move; trying to make a culturally specific film without a writer who knows that culture in and out is asking for trouble. It was a silly hill to die on, now you got negative news for a movie that you're going to promote next year and ask ya stars to dodge this question when it inevitably comes up in the pressers they gotta do, which results in more PR work, which basically costs more money making this moot.

I can understand being a co-writer on a quarter of a billion dollar film and basically making on the sequel not much more than would you would get on an unknown but hot script. I also disagree with the 'experience' aspect used here because she already had a huge hit with the first movie, that hurdle was jumped back then when she was also presumably criminally underpaid

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
She has 20 years of work with TV writing... The dude has 3 movie credits under his belt. She isn't the one with less experience.

I can understand paying the more "experienced" writer more. But 1/8 is fucking pathetic.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Good for her for sticking to her guns. Pay disparity is gross and bullshit. I get paying more for experience, but that gap is insulting.

Hilarious that they no doubt thought they'd find a similarly talented Asian writer to replace her, no doubt offering the same 100k pay for it. Lol

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Co-writer Peter Chiarelli, as an experienced feature scribe who broke out with 2009's The Proposal

FailingLividHydra-size_restricted.gif

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pay disparity is so gross.

Yes all things being equal. But writers can be tricky (not this case) and a well regarded or successful (not necessarily the same thing) screenwriter can command more for the same or less work. There's no flat rate per se and writer agents can negotiate in the same way as actors.

The disparity between gender pay is often inexplicable and it would be crazy to suggest that only market forces are in play. And we'll never get to see a breakdown of who wrote what, how much and more difficult still - whose writing was better received by the market.

Writing should be paid for based on quality and marketability. Frankly 99% of viewers don't care or know who wrote it. And most of the most famous current writers we talk about are more accurately infamous for being terrible.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Yes all things being equal. But writers can be tricky (not this case) and a well regarded or successful (not necessarily the same thing) screenwriter can command more for the same or less work. There's no flat rate per se and writer agents can negotiate in the same way as actors.

The disparity between gender pay is often inexplicable and it would be crazy to suggest that only market forces are in play. And we'll never get to see a breakdown of who wrote what, how much and more difficult still - whose writing was better received by the market.
I mean, the man here should be penalized for having written The Proposal.

Nov 16, 2017
People will say, like WB, "that's how the system works", but that's exactly her point, the system favors those who have already had an in, and though she played equal part in creating a blockbuster hit, she won't get an equal part of the writer's fee for the sequel, because, as an Asian American female writer, she's not been given as many chances before as her co-writer. So good for her standing up for the fight and not accepting the pity compromise they tried to offer her.
Isn't the point so that Adele can take this gig and then her next gig she gets more and more. I mean CRA was Adele's "in".

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
If she was getting paid 75% of her co-writer, I could MAYBE buy the "Experience" excuse.

10% though, fuck right off with that garbage.
It was profitable, but the movie was still garbage, which is what I cared more about. ;D

Also, mostly jk.
You better be joking.

Crazy Rich Asians was the first chick-flick I've genuinely enjoyed since The Devil Wears Prada.

Edit: Oh, those are the numbers for The Proposal...I...er...nevermind. I'm an idiot.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
If she was getting paid 75% of her co-writer, I could MAYBE buy the "Experience" excuse.

10% though, fuck right off with that garbage.

You better be joking.

Crazy Rich Asians was the first chick-flick I've genuinely enjoyed since The Devil Wears Prada.
Um, you must've missed the chain of the discussion.

Might want to go back. :P

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Peter Cherelli has 4 writing credits to his name:

The Proposal (2009)
Now You See Me 2 (2016)
Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

And some Prime video called Spaghetti vs Noodle. What exactly does WB quantify as "experience"? Adele has him beat in years in the industry, and the number of writing credits 🤔

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017

The Proposal (2009)
Now You See Me 2 (2016)
Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

And some Prime video called Spaghetti vs Noodle. What exactly does WB quantify as "experience"? Adele has him beat in years in the industry, and the number of writing credits 🤔
Probably uncredited work like script doctoring and rewrites?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for her for sticking to her principles and not taking the deal. They literally tried their hardest to not give her the money she deserved and only did so when they ran out of every other option.

LittleBee

alt account
Banned
Mar 15, 2019
No need for a sequel to be honest. Just make a different movie with Asian casts. No need for the same actors too.

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Lol. I'm a nobody (who's trying to break in to Hollywood features - but already wrote a short film viewed with over 7.5 million views) and even I would feel insulted if I was asked to write (or even co-write) a studio feature for $110,000. Nah, dawg.

That's good pay for a rewrite, i'll grant you. But for the original script?

And, c'mon, those Hollywood writing scales are called the "Schedule of Minimums". Dumbasses.

[/URL]

Here's a couple of links to the WGA scales: $133,000 min script purchase for a greater than $5M budget feature. (Or $138,000 of week-to-week pay for 6 months of writing on such a script, again, minimum -- $5300/wk).

So this offer doesn't even meet the WGA minimums.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017

The Proposal (2009)
Now You See Me 2 (2016)
Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

Something something tv inferior to movies probably

Even if we say take 3 or 4 teleplays = 1 screenplay, Lim has like 20-25 teleplays to her name even before CRA.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I'm a nobody (who's trying to break in to Hollywood features - but already wrote a short film viewed with over 7.5 million views) and even I would feel insulted if I was asked to write (or even co-write) a studio feature for $110,000. Nah, dawg.

That's good pay for a rewrite, i'll grant you. But for the original script?

And, c'mon, those Hollywood writing scales are called the "Schedule of Minimums". Dumbasses.

[/URL]

Here's a couple of links to the WGA scales: $133,000 min script purchase for a greater than $5M budget feature. (Or $138,000 of week-to-week pay for 6 months of writing on such a script, again, minimum -- $5300/wk).

So this offer doesn't even meet the WGA minimums.
Good to know this is as bad as it seems