• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
This was a banger of an episode. Incredibly well directed.
Place your bets, Era!

Greg or nobody. Nobody as in "Rebecca herself, plus her love of life and friends in West Covina and a budding career in songwriting".

WEST COVINAAAAAA
CALIFORNIAAAAAA

Hear the band playing in my heart
My new life is about to start
And true happiness is so near!
And also by coincidence
So random, just by chance
Who'd have thunk it, so remarkable and weird right? It's so great!
That my new life
Just happens to be here!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Rebecca, on her way to let everyone know her decision, is tragically hit by a car. Help arrives soon after, but too late. Mourning their loss, West Covinians gather to recite
WEST COVINAAAAAA
CALIFORNIAAAAAA

Hear the band playing in my heart
My new life is about to start
And true happiness is so near!
And also by coincidence
So random, just by chance
Who'd have thunk it, so remarkable and weird right? It's so great!
That my new life
Just happens to be here!
for Rebecca one last time, realizing how much she had changed their lives for the better.

THE END

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Going through the songs on shuffle on Spotify. Some are better than I remembered and also forgot about. Like "What a Rush to be a Bride"

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Random thought, but have we met the prostitute that was breaking up all those marriages? We got a butter call back, so will we finally meet the prostitute at the end?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
#TeamRebecca since day zero.

I forgot about that marriage wrecking prostitute, disappointing something didn't come from it.

Paula is still the best character.
I think this episode leads to the conclusion that she's not going to chose any of the guys and go on to write songs.

I think that the ending will go full circle: she'll write a musical about her own story, and the last song will be a reprise of West Covina. And Other Rebecca was actually the actress who'll play her and sing her songs.

This is a solid guess.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think I agree that West Covina really was the best song

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
RIP To Rapper Nipsey Hussle. He was shot yesterday outside of his own clothing store just after taking some pics with fans. He was also the rapper in the first episode of CXG with The Sexy Getting Ready Song and the ending. Definitely an iconic part of setting the series up, and even though this was the only way I knew of him until now, it's sad (and angering) to hear how he left the world. I hope the best for his family and friends.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
RIP To Rapper Nipsey Hussle. He was shot yesterday outside of his own clothing store just after taking some pics with fans. He was also the rapper in the first episode of CXG with The Sexy Getting Ready Song and the ending. Definitely an iconic part of setting the series up, and even though this was the only way I knew of him until now, it's sad (and angering) to hear how he left the world. I hope the best for his family and friends.

I just saw that today as well. So sad. And his contribution to the pilot is still one of the best moments of the whole series. RIP.

On a different note, I was talking with coworkers that I got hooked on the show and think I have a personal top 10 songs list now. I am iffy on some of the rankings, but my number 1 has been number 1 since season 1 and won't change. The rest (and other not listed songs) can change so quickly. But here it is:

1. You Stupid Bitch
2. Let's Generalize About Men
3. Settle For Me
4. West Covina
5. Don't Be a Lawyer
6. The Buzzing From the Bathroom
7. I Gave You a UTI
8. Heavy Boobs
9. Fit Hot Guys Have Problems Too
10. Tell Me I'm Okay, Patrick

EDIT:
Dammit.

After watching it a few times I almost want to put it higher, because this song still speaks to me so much. Everyone has felt like this at some point in their lives. It isn't the catchiest song by any means, but from a dramatic standpoint it is top tier for the show.

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
While I haven't enjoyed the show lately as much as I did back in season 1 and 2, I've still watched every week and I'm still excited/saddened to see the final episode.

I understand shows, stories and characters etc evolve over their runs but to me there was nothing funnier than season 1 Rebecca Bunch obsessively stalking someone/getting caught/awkwardly trying to explain her way out of it lol. It was just a much funnier and enjoyable show to watch, today it often feels like I'm watching a completely different program.

Still, I shall always treasure the good memories of the show. Some amazing and memorable songs, Feeling Kinda Naughty is like top 5 comedy TV moments for me, I remember laughing so hard when I first saw it. XD Amazing stuff.

Heather & Hector became the only couple I cared about on the show, the true MVPs. I am very much over Rebecca's I DON'T KNOW WHO I LOVE shit but I hope she ends up with Greg, despite me being extemely #NotMyGreg about the current one. :P

Fbi2Wml.gif

Blam!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last week was Broad City.

Wednesday was You're the Worst.

And now today this show will end too, all my comedies disappearing one by one ;_;

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
can't wait to see watch this tomorrow morning, and no matter what happens i just want you all to know that they should eaten the fcc fines and gone with the explicit version of fuckton of cats

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The finale felt a little weird at times. I dunno, I blame the whole sudden timeskip being a little unsatisfying in how it wrapped up things, going quickly from one character to the next. Other than that, Rebecca meeting our expectations, where she remains single and starts writing songs, loved all of that. I just... expected more I guess, also wished we got to hear that last song. Also damn they did White Josh dirty. No new relationship or anything, and he got his house and possessions burned down. I did laugh at how he really did never grow to like Rebecca, he was always consistent about that.

Luckily, despite my gripes, I overall did like it. Especially with Paula being brought into her world, that was great. And of course, the utterly amazing concert more than made up for any small disappointments I had anyhow.

I loved this show so much, I'mma gonna really fucking miss it. :(

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I cried sooooo much from Paula telling her it was beautiful, to her being so happy on stage and telling everyone she loved them (even not her friends!), to starting a song. I'm so happy with it.

And the live show was amazing (the bit with her dad was hilarious).

It's over ;___;

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
YES! Team Rebecca for the finale!
And totally awesome that most of us here called it at her writing her own songs for the finale.
And while I am slightly upset that they didnt end on a grand finale reprise of West Covina to end it, it was the final song in the end. And between her and Paula, which was just beautiful.

It is all so fresh right now, but 99% love the finale but the 1% is still upset we didnt get a grand finale of West Covina. That is a minor quibble for such a wonderful send off for the characters.

Also, I laughed way too hard at "Their eyes look like my eyes..."

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Deadline: Aline Brosh McKenna and Rachel Bloom talk about the finale.

BLOOM: What I find interesting that we set up is that in some ways this show was a prequel. And I don't know if this revival would 10 years down the road — that is just what I said because that's usually when you want to come back for something. The whole show was meant to be a year or two — it ended up being a little longer — in a young woman's life where she changes everything and becomes the adult that she's meant to be. Because of that, what's interesting in the year that is the series finale we see someone who has no formal musical and writing training, chucks it all and pursues her dream. That's funny and it's quite funny and interesting. You get little glimmers of it with her learning the piano and her voice teacher. The most interesting thing is we purposely left out the song she plays at the end at the open mic because that's her new sound. She doesn't play "West Covina" or any of the song we heard before because those are comedy songs. Rebecca is not a comedy songwriter. The comedy in those songs come from the gap between what those genres are and what Rebecca is. Aline and I, at this moment, don't know what her song sounds like. So that's what's interesting to me — finding her sound now that we know who she authentically is.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
YES! Team Rebecca for the finale!
And totally awesome that most of us here called it at her writing her own songs for the finale.
And while I am slightly upset that they didnt end on a grand finale reprise of West Covina to end it, it was the final song in the end. And between her and Paula, which was just beautiful.

It is all so fresh right now, but 99% love the finale but the 1% is still upset we didnt get a grand finale of West Covina. That is a minor quibble for such a wonderful send off for the characters.

Also, I laughed way too hard at "Their eyes look like my eyes..."

I love that Nathaniel ended up at a zoo lol.

I'm torn because I would have loved a big West Covina finale, but... "this is a song I wrote", and her smile, was just

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That the West Covina reprise was this small intimate moment between Rebecca and Paula is what made it beautiful. And then they end with the tease of "This is a song I wrote..." and you don't hear it is so wonderful. Rebecca earned that moment, and part of me thinks Bloom and McKenna know it is something we shouldn't hear, because it is that special and intimate.

I am so happy that in the end it was all about Rebecca finding herself. It wasn't about finding a man to settle down with. It was about her accepting who she is and what she wants to do and is capable of.

Bless this show.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
That the West Covina reprise was this small intimate moment between Rebecca and Paula is what made it beautiful. And then they end with the tease of "This is a song I wrote..." and you don't hear it is so wonderful. Rebecca earned that moment, and part of me thinks Bloom and McKenna know it is something we shouldn't hear, because it is that special and intimate.

I am so happy that in the end it was all about Rebecca finding herself. It wasn't about finding a man to settle down with. It was about her accepting who she is and what she wants to do and is capable of.

Bless this show.

Absolutely. I was baaaawling when Paula immediately knew what Rebecca wanted and that it was "beautiful".

I know they say that the song wouldn't be one we've heard, but the cast came to the general consensus that it was either "West Covina but shittier", eletronica, or Billy Joel lol.

Also, can we change the title of the thread to "this is a song I wrote"?

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Also damn they did White Josh dirty. No new relationship or anything, and he got his house and possessions burned down. I did laugh at how he really did never grow to like Rebecca, he was always consistent about that.

I saw that as a "not everyone is necessarily happier one year later". Besides, did he break up with that other gym fella? I don't remember. If not, he should still be with him. But yes, that last zinger toward Rebecca was great =p. He was always the sane one in the middle of all that. WiJo was one of my favorite characters*.

*I don't think I ever came across a show where I liked so much of the cast, so saying he was one of my favorites doesn't mean much...

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man... What a show! What a show! ;_;
I loved it so much! I think it ended satisfyingly and hopeful.

Paula is such an amazing character and friend!

(The live show is hilarious, though. I'm watching it rn. The bit with Rachel's dad was hilarious!)

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the finale; I'm still a little Team Nathaniel, but it was pretty clear how that whole choice was going to play out fairly early in the season.

I appreciated the check-ins on the characters a year later, and was surprised by how affecting Paula's resolution was. Watching her realize what she wanted, force herself to give up a job she loved because she knew what she needed to be happy, her resignation to her dream falling apart because she wouldn't sacrifice her pro bono work, and then just her face when the boss caves and asks her to come back and talk... I thought her arc had more or less resolved when she found a job that felt she was worth a ton of money, but nope, that was her moment and it was stellar.

It was nice to have the kind of parallel to Rebecca's journey--that there's really no too late to find the thing that makes you happy. And much like Rebecca needed Paula to help her see what she really wanted, Rebecca helped Paula realize what she needed to do.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't love the finale but I like the endpoint we got to. Dream sequence+time jump where we just go person by person explaining things isn't my favorite but I can see why it went that way.

Overall, really enjoyed the show. Will miss it.

The concert special is fun.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I cried a bit and had to keep it together in front of my girlfriend. Why is it always me dammit

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Was a nice show.

Season 3 peak though, rest of the seasons are equally good. Actually season 4 has the best episode which is the live concert finale! Love it.

But let me tell you something, Her dream with Nathaniel pregnant and especially Josh with 2 kids gave me all the positive feels... I wish she had ended up at least with someone, I expected her to choose after saying "Maybe now I'm ready for the other kind of love". Still fairly satisfied in the end.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
overall i think season 4 was a little weaker than the previous seasons. the extra episodes the cw ordered made it feel more drawn out than it needed to be.

but gosh i'm so proud of paula. absolute fucking legend.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the finale! Team Rebecca! Also watching the concert special immediately after is the true way to end this journey. Man, I will miss this show.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see it end. Hopefully this can get the Gilmore Girls treatment from Netflix down the road and check in with everyone later in life.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Sad to see it end. Hopefully this can get the Gilmore Girls treatment from Netflix down the road and check in with everyone later in life.

Considering Netflix has distribution rights at least in parts of Europe, this isn't that farfetched.

And let us never forget AJ's and Father Brah's faces when she looked at them in the "other kind of love" bit.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I remember we were worried about renewal cuz the show didn't do well with mainstream audience, and now we got the finale. :)
It's great to see the live show was full house. A lot of love for the team!

Yes please!

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i tell you i audibly gasped in the concert when
michael hyatt showed up

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, what a wonderful end to a wonderful show. Not having new songs to obsess over is gonna leave a void in my life. Also, Father Brah managed to steal the episode for the 2 seconds he was on screen looking confused.

Also, I think I saw BagelsAfterMidnight in the concert crowd <3

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I need a spin-off with Nathaniel and George asap. They can call it Handsome Ex-Laywer. Just... anything to fill the void

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Finale was completely predictable, but nice. The live singing episode was way more enjoyable. Will miss this show.