• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heather acting really invested in Valencia's past relationship seemed really out of character.

Bro, we got introduced to Heather's character with her spending the first season following and analyzing Rebecca around because she made for a good subject for her project. Girl loves her drama.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, I feel like that was a little different since she was just watching Rebecca constantly fuck everything up on her own. This she instigated deliberately.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Aline talks to the AV Club about Greg being recast, some interesting bits: Greg was never meant to leave entirely (whether this means he was supposed to stay in the purgatory of West Covina or if he was going to pull a Valencia and Heather it is unclear), and also this rather damning reply:
AVC: Were there any conversations with Santino about the recasting of the role, and where the character is headed?
ABM:
We let him know we were doing it. When we decided to bring [Greg] back, we let him know.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
You could tell in the beginning that Santino never hung out with the rest of the cast/crew...

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
You could tell in the beginning that Santino never hung out with the rest of the cast/crew...

Santino is cordial, but is a workhorse.

It seems he (and probably the other actors) initially signed a 1 year contract with the CW with no option to extend... That's unusual for TV, but it may not be unusual for the CW.

He's simply been working and has committed himself to other projects outside of CXG since the end of his contract. I'm sure Aline is a little annoyed at the situation, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
This episode was so weird. Lot of jokes talking about the show ending. Heather acting really invested in Valencia's past relationship seemed really out of character.

I was trying to figure out where I know nuGreg from, he's the dude from Pitch Perfect.

Valencia's transformation still isn't believable to me. It seems like a convenience out of nowhere.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Valencia's transformation still isn't believable to me. It seems like a convenience out of nowhere.

It makes a little more sense when you think about how when she was introduced in season 1, she was an Obstacle To Overcome in the romcom formula, rather than A Real Actual Character: She was Josh's bitchy girlfriend who had it out for Rebecca, our spunky heroine! And she was mean, for sure, but consider: She was (A) right about Rebecca trying to steal Josh, and (B) frustrated by her entire life. Her relationship with Josh was stagnant, she was unhappy with her career, and she had no friends outside of Josh's friendgroup.

In season 2, Rebecca befriends her (and remember, back in one of the earlier episodes, Valencia was happy to be friends Rebecca) by getting her out of her post breakup funk. And yeah, it seems a little weird, but it's like, Rebecca also helped her finally break out of her deadend relationship with Josh, so. I did think her planning their wedding was weird, but season 3 has Rebecca being all "You planned the wedding you wanted!!" and that sort of re-contextualized it a bit.

I dunno, I guess it just seems like Valencia fits into the show's theme of perception. Compare her to Paula, who was first introduced as the Office Bitch Who Was An Obstacle, but then by the end of the first episode is upgraded to The Sidekick, but then later the show reminds us she's still The Office Bitch to her coworkers no matter how kind and supportive she is of Rebecca (or even more directly, remember that scene where she goes ballistic on her coworkers for not refilling the ice tray? We know she's actually angry about her husband's infidelity, but she's still taking it out on her coworkers). Consider Nathaniel, who was introduced as a huge asshole, but then falls in love with Rebecca and becomes a little nicer, but then we get stuff like him trying to have Josh's family members killed and deported and "He's the New Guy" to remind us, unsubtly, that he's still an asshole.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It makes a little more sense when you think about how when she was introduced in season 1, she was an Obstacle To Overcome in the romcom formula, rather than A Real Actual Character: She was Josh's bitchy girlfriend who had it out for Rebecca, our spunky heroine! And she was mean, for sure, but consider: She was (A) right about Rebecca trying to steal Josh, and (B) frustrated by her entire life. Her relationship with Josh was stagnant, she was unhappy with her career, and she had no friends outside of Josh's friendgroup.

In season 2, Rebecca befriends her (and remember, back in one of the earlier episodes, Valencia was happy to be friends Rebecca) by getting her out of her post breakup funk. And yeah, it seems a little weird, but it's like, Rebecca also helped her finally break out of her deadend relationship with Josh, so. I did think her planning their wedding was weird, but season 3 has Rebecca being all "You planned the wedding you wanted!!" and that sort of re-contextualized it a bit.

I dunno, I guess it just seems like Valencia fits into the show's theme of perception. Compare her to Paula, who was first introduced as the Office Bitch Who Was An Obstacle, but then by the end of the first episode is upgraded to The Sidekick, but then later the show reminds us she's still The Office Bitch to her coworkers no matter how kind and supportive she is of Rebecca (or even more directly, remember that scene where she goes ballistic on her coworkers for not refilling the ice tray? We know she's actually angry about her husband's infidelity, but she's still taking it out on her coworkers). Consider Nathaniel, who was introduced as a huge asshole, but then falls in love with Rebecca and becomes a little nicer, but then we get stuff like him trying to have Josh's family members killed and deported and "He's the New Guy" to remind us, unsubtly, that he's still an asshole.

True points. I was also talking about her transformation from hetero all about Josh gotta marry him to..... I guess bisexual but not sure.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will turn out fine. A lot of characters I didn't like grew on me, like that ordinary guy in the office that I can never remember his name.
Plus, the crew has a knack for finding the right person for the job.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all worried about New Greg and Valencia, meanwhile I'm wondering if I'll ever like Beth.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I honestly thought she could have been a contest winner or something, a regular person they pulled in from the street and said hey you can be on TV - 'just stand there and be in the background of the scene'. Why did they even bother with that random Valencia character pivot? Felt randomly tacked-on out of no where with them having no interest or time to develop it further so everyone is just like oh ok *shrugs*.

Then I see Beth doing stand up on Colbert with more personality in that 3min than anything she's ever been given to do on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. :\

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Valenica realizing she's bi is neat, just from what we've seen Beth is terribly dull, if not the dullest period, and yea like you said, they don't seem to have any interest in exploring it further. And this is the last season, so...

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
New Greg is just ok.

I like Season 4, it is hard to beat season 3 but we are still 10 episodes away. We'll see.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
At this point, the only musical they haven't spoofed is Rent (and it would likely stay this way, given her disdain of the musical).

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Rachel is still dragging Neil Patrick Harris for that Tony tweet and I am here for it.

Some fun callbacks too ("Look at me, look at me, I'm so good at spinning", "Saucemergency")

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole episode, I was thinking about a weird conversation I was stuck into with a bunch of mostly French girls wondering why UTIs were such a common trope in American series, as if it was something that happens normally. Their conclusions were either:
1) American girls have terrible hygiene because puritanism taught them not to touch themselves "down there", even for cleaning.
2) American bacteria are a different strand and are worse than the flu and ebola.
3) American underwear are terrible and a health hazard (That was the hypothesis privileged by the Japanese girl of the group).

I suppose for this episode at least, the correct answer was "3".

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
The whole episode, I was thinking about a weird conversation I was stuck into with a bunch of mostly French girls wondering why UTIs were such a common trope in American series, as if it was something that happens normally. Their conclusions were either:
1) American girls have terrible hygiene because puritanism taught them not to touch themselves "down there", even for cleaning.
2) American bacteria are a different strand and are worse than the flu and ebola.
3) American underwear are terrible and a health hazard (That was the hypothesis privileged by the Japanese girl of the group).

I suppose for this episode at least, the correct answer was "3".
This is some good analysis. For 1), I think the education system itself neglects addressing female problems (for example: they'd teach how male students can have safe sex by putting on condoms, but not focussing on how sex is like for women), not just them being prudes or whatever.

I always appreciate CEG addressing real problems and be informative to viewers.

If nothing else it'll help you get ready for the Hulu Veronica Mars series.
I've never seen the original one. :/
I looked up and saw Kristen Bell, I'm sort of in now.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Is9VMJN.png

these song titles...

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Also is that hideous conference table in the real world too or was it just there as genre trappings.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was feeling a little meh about this episode until I realized what the point was, then I loved it lol

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Finally got around to watching last week's episode yesterday and yesterday's today. I wonder if that moving on will stick.

The actress who played Mandy... Wow. She didn't have much dialog but it was effective.