• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Mario kart is a fine party game but it fails fundamentally as a racing game due to its horrificaly broken items and horrendous AI/rubber banding.

And on a personal note I find the tracks to be far too focused on style over substance. They "look" fun but rarely feel it.
Yeah I agree.

And also Mario Kart 8 D has a 92 on metacritic, significantly higher than this.
MK8 scored high for the same reason FH4 did: It's accessible and easy to learn.
Makes both games stale after a while for me though.

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bummed to hear about the single player mode. I was hoping for a good kart game with good single player. This doesn't seem to be it.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Playing on Xbox. 85 Metacritic and online is a broken mess. GG reviews.
  • No progression system online.
  • No party up with friends. (Update - seems like there is, but only getting error codes)
  • So. Much. Lag.
  • Karts ghosting and glitching around.
  • Error messages all the time.
  • Lobbies collapse every few races.
  • No scoreboards/points/whatever.
  • No collision.
  • No online split-screen (as far as I can tell).
  • There is some weird problem with fps/motion blur online. Can't really put my fingers on it.
So disappointing. The game itself is fine. Multiplayer is not.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
You guys are nuts and are caught in the hype for this release. Mario Kart has tons of fun and memorable tracks and the only time the item balance was actively terrible was in MKWii (oh my god that horrible thunder cloud). But MK8 is basically one of the best games out there.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are nuts and are caught in the hype for this release. Mario Kart has tons of fun and memorable tracks and the only time the item balance was actively terrible was in MKWii (oh my god that horrible thunder cloud). But MK8 is basically one of the best games out there.

I'd agree that MK8 is the gold standard but I think it was really the beloved Double Dash that really pushed items over the edge and MK Wii continued the trend.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What? It has incredible single player. That's all I've been playing.
Going by this:

Here's our review

It's awful in single player and great in multiplayer.
Insane rubber banding.

And also other comments made in the thread. It just doesn't seem to be its strong suit. And I already have Mario Kart for multiplayer kart racing.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Makes me happy for crash and makes me sad for sonic.

• No party up with friends.
  • So. Much. Lag.
  • No collision.
  • There is some weird problem with fps/motion blur online. Can't really put my fingers on it.
Holy shit! Why hasn't anyone complained about this. No friends in online caused huge outrage in the case of mario maker

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going by this:

And also other comments made in the thread. It just doesn't seem to be its strong suit. And I already have Mario Kart for multiplayer kart racing.

That's one review from a small publication that several people in this thread quoted to disagree with. The SP is amazing. It's all I intend to play.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Makes me happy for crash and makes me sad for sonic.

Holy shit! Why hasn't anyone complained about this. No friends in online caused huge outrage in the case of mario maker
You need to find a lobby on your own first (which already can be difficult enough because of technical issues) and then you need to be lucky that this lobby still has enough free places so your friends can join afterwards.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
  • So. Much. Lag.
  • No collision.

wait... no party system?? How the fuck?

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
The original game (alongside Diddy Kong Racing) its legendary for his very-well done single player "adventure mode" campaign. How can peopel say this one sucks, if its pretty much a remake + add ons? I played CTR campaign last year and it was as fun as always

Alak96

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did the reviewers forget to test online matches, perhaps? On Switch right now it is unplayable when racing online, ALL the races have lag that make the other racers teleport along the track.

Don't know if it's the same on other platforms; if it is, I seriously don't understand all the good reviews.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017

It truly is!! A real amazing game.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Move over Console Wars, the Great Kart Wars of 2019 are upon us. You're only allowed to like one mascot kart racer, all others are the enemy.

(Should be a fun time once online is fixed.)

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
  • So. Much. Lag.
  • No collision.

Hopefully they patch a lot of this up. I'll be playing single player for a good while, but I do plan to hop into multipayer once those events start..

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Weird, on PS4, you can invite your friend in a lobby and then search a game

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is. You can just find a lobby and your friend/s can join you there.
That's ... Not a party system. That's trial and error until you find a lobby with enough empty spaces.

Weird, on PS4, you can invite your friend in a lobby and then search a game
Can only talk about the Xbox version. Or do I need to create a private lobby and search for public matches then (if that's possible)? Can only test this later.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did the reviewers forget to test online matches, perhaps? On Switch right now it is unplayable when racing online, ALL the races have lag that make the other racers teleport along the track.

Don't know if it's the same on other platforms; if it is, I seriously don't understand all the good reviews.
Working fine on PS4. After 1.02 patch.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Can only talk about the Xbox version. Or do I need to create a private lobby and search for public matches then (if that's possible)? Can only test this later.
In the Switch version you literally just select any friend who is listed as "joinable" to be in their party, anyone in the online menu but not matchmaking or in a lobby is joinable.

MekaDragon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for the inevitable PC launch... and hopefully online gets better when it launches.

Also 30 fps is a no go for me.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
  • No party up with friends. (Update - seems like there is, but only getting error codes)
  • So. Much. Lag.
  • No collision.
No collision? What?

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Agreed. MK8's tracks are second to none. I'm not a fan of the powerups in either game, but they're better balanced in MK. After 3 hours of play in this game, I've never once been given a power-up when I was in second place on the final lap that could do anything to harm the CPU racer in front of me. I remember loving CTR back in the day, but this game isn't reinforcing that love, but it is making me appreciate MK8D more. It doesn't help CTR that the online is a complete and utter dumpster fire right now.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is brilliant. Given how utterly disappointing MK8D was in its disgraceful SP offerings, I'm very thankful Crash has remained faithful to the original game and given us a fantastic adventure mode.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
You folks don't have to feel the need to crap on one game to prop up another. It comes off as pitifully defensive.
"This is why we can't have nice things."

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance load times will be improved with patches, especially on the Switch?

Nov 3, 2017
  • So. Much. Lag.
  • No collision.

There's soft ranking but it would be nicer with real ranks
Partying exists
Lag hasn't been a problem for me but person to person you know
Scoreboards//Cup race sets online would be dope
No collision makes sense imo give the (alleged) horrendous lag, from what I've seen it'd be hell on earth with it

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Are you still waiting for more reviews before you buy it? Or do you already have it?

Screenshot-20190621-153228-Chrome.jpg