• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Lol.. complete nonsense. MarioKart 8 is the best i've ever played. Even with nostalgia calculated into everything.
It is the Gold Standard for good reasons.
Your face is nonsense.

Mario kart is a fine party game but it fails fundamentally as a racing game due to its horrificaly broken items and horrendous AI/rubber banding.

And on a personal note I find the tracks to be far too focused on style over substance. They "look" fun but rarely feel it.

Diddy Kong Racing though? Great ideas but super stale tracks and items - nowhere near CTR or MK64
Dude what? The tracks are superb. Items are strategic instead of random. Three different, equally fun vehicles with their own tech and completely different vibe.

It was, and still is on a whole different level.

That being said, I am thoroughly enjoying CTR:NF. Never played the original but the DKR influence is really strong and it shows. Super fun.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Your face is nonsense.

Mario kart is a fine party game but it fails fundamentally as a racing game due to its horrificaly broken items and horrendous AI/rubber banding.

Dude what? The tracks are superb. Items are strategic instead of random. Three different, equally fun vehicles with their own tech and conpletely different vibe.

It was, and still is on a whole different level.

That being said, I am thoroughly enjoying CTR:NF. Never played the original but the DKR influence is really strong and it shows. Super fun.
The idea of how they implemented items and different vehicles is interesting but both are massively flawed. Tracks seem to heavily favour one of the three options heavily over the others which kind of makes he choices pointless, and in the case of the items some of the final upgrades are worse than their second tier and as such seem pointless (10 straight line rockets are worse than a single homing missile for example).

I also find the tracks to be very bland both aesthetically and in their layout - they feel very basic and rarely use the environment in an interesting way.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm out until they patch the bullshit. I'm not about to get all pissed at a kart racer on medium difficulty. Seems the balance is way off.
Medium is perfectly fine unless you never use the drift and boost mechanic. It only happened twice that I did not win a race on my first try.
Yes, I have played the original back then but CTR never was a super hard game (apart from the Oxide Time Trials)

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I don't have time to check them out right now but does anyone mention online? Because it looks bad

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Your face is nonsense.

And on a personal note I find the tracks to be far too focused on style over substance. They "look" fun but rarely feel it.
It's great that you have your own taste in games but to me it sounds ridiculous. I did enjoy DKR though.
But Crash has always been a mystery to me as to why people like it more than MarioKart. But everyone is free to have their "opinion".

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge Mario Kart fan, but having only bought my first Sony system ever last year, I have no real knowledge or affinity for the Crash brand.

How many tracks are included? What's the progression system like in campaign mode? And what unlockables are there?

These review scores have me very curious, but as someone who will primarily play singleplayer, I'm trying to figure out if there's enough solo content for me to justify a purchase!

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Great reviews, but I'm worried about accessibility hearing all these accounts the game is hard. MK8 deluxe was the only kart game I could make my gf and some family play because of Smart Steering.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Here's my review: I am WAY out of practice! 21-year-old me is shaking his head in disgust at 41-year-old me. He's also not a fan of what I did with that Art Degree he's working on. Yeah... Well, why don't you go jam out to Tori Amos!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is DF gonna dive into this? Would love to have the PS4/X1 version side to side to the Switch and possibly the PS1 version even.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting this for Switch, any impressions on how that port holds up in terms of visuals and framerate?

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I suspect review impressions for the single player mode will vary greatly based on the ability of the reviewer to powerslide competently. OG Crash Team Racing was incredibly difficult unless you got that mechanic down.

Was it actually that hard? I remember playing that game trough multiple times as kid

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's great that you have your own taste in games but to me it sounds ridiculous. I did enjoy DKR though.
But Crash has always been a mystery to me as to why people like it more than MarioKart. But everyone is free to have their "opinion".

Personally, as someone who mostly likes to play solo, I remember CTR catering to me much more than MK ever has which is why I'm personally excited. Also opinion in quotes is super condescending lmao.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, as someone who mostly likes to play solo, I remember CTR catering to me much more than MK ever has which is why I'm personally excited. Also opinion in quotes is super condescending lmao.
Hah, yeah i'm sorry. I sometimes question the integrity of people's opinions. I shouldn't do that as we're all different.
It's all fine. Something that irritates me in these Crash games are the sounds, i just found out. I can live with 30 fps.

Last edited:

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a huge Mario Kart fan, but having only bought my first Sony system ever last year, I have no real knowledge or affinity for the Crash brand.

How many tracks are included? What's the progression system like in campaign mode? And what unlockables are there?

These review scores have me very curious, but as someone who will primarily play singleplayer, I'm trying to figure out if there's enough solo content for me to justify a purchase!
I think there's 32 tracks at launch, and more will come as free DLC.
You can unlock characters, characters skins, karts models, decals, paint jobs and wheels. You unlock some of them by completing specific objectives and others by buying them with coins that you earn at the end of each race.

There's an adventure mode with a scenario (not an amazing one of course), cutscenes, hub-worlds, challenges, etc... Some of these challenges are very, very demanding.

There's a lot of content for a solo player here.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking for a review a deep as possible for this game, i'm a HUGE fan of the original. Any recommendations?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is the first game I simply wont buy because of its framerate. Like, I bought the crash remaster and absolutely hated how it felt, then i got the pc version and loved it. I'm hoping this will get an eventual pc release, and then I'll get it day 1. I just cant do 30 fps for racers and platformers anymore.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Wow man - I did not expect essential from eurogamer. Will have to grab this.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm items on Mario kart are bullshit but i somehow consistently always finish between 1st to 4th place online. And also Mario Kart 8 D has a 92 on metacritic, significantly higher than this. There's a reason, its simply the best feeling and most polished Kart game out there. Even with blue shells.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
People who prefer MK are simply bad at CTR. I beat all of MK8 on 200cc btw, so don't think I didn't try to find the depth. Game is a joke when it comes to skill based races but is excellent otherwise.

Or they just like Mario Kart better. :P
No need to trash people who don't share your opinion.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
It is odd that theres no PC version for the game yet, i wonder why. Did Activision ever reply about that?

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Hmm items on Mario kart are bullshit but i somehow consistently always finish between 1st to 4th place online. And also Mario Kart 8 D has a 92 on metacritic, significantly higher than this. There's a reason, its simply the best feeling and most polished Kart game out there. Even with blue shells.
This. That "anyone can win" mentality does not apply to MK8DX. Due to the removal of the Automatic feature present in MKWii, you're forced to learn the drifting in MK8DX which makes it the least beginner friendly MK game. The better drifter will always win.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
LMAO! What are you doing in this thread, then? And fucking lol at putting "opinion" in quotes, I've done that before and it made me look like an asshole for being condescending.
You betta watch out.... not allowed to mention MK or it being a better game.
Why do we always get this kind of drive-bys on review threads? Every. Damn. Time.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I'm out until they patch the bullshit. I'm not about to get all pissed at a kart racer on medium difficulty. Seems the balance is way off.

It took me 10 tries just to beat the 2nd fucking level. Game is ridiculous. Twice I got hit by an item 10 ft from the finish.

Yeah, I know "git gud" or whatever but so far it's feeling like winning or losing is more dependent on the rng item wheel. And give me a break, it's the 2nd fucking level.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It took me 10 tries just to beat the 2nd fucking level. Game is ridiculous. Twice I got hit by an item 10 ft from the finish.

Yeah, I know "git gud" or whatever but so far it's feeling like winning or losing is more dependent on the rng item wheel. And give me a break, it's the 2nd fucking level.
I get you, I haven't played CTR Nitro Fueled yet and it's been a long time since I played the original, but I bought MK8 on Switch about a couple of weeks ago and holy fuck is it infuriating how items keep hitting you constantly when you're in first place, and even more annoying when that megaphone or whatever that pushes them away seems to have a 1 out of 20 chance to appear. I don't remember this being a huge problem in CTR, so I'm hoping I'm right and the barrier at least appears more often when you're in 1st place than its MK8 counterpart.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Since medium difficulty seems to be too hard for most people should I choose easy difficulty or does that make the game too easy?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Or they just like Mario Kart better. :P
No need to trash people who don't share your opinion.

When someone goes and bashes Crash and jerks of MK8, it makes me think they didn't give them both a proper shake. MK8 is outstanding and probably the overall best Kart racer ever made, but CTR is (or was, haven't played this remake yet) one of the most satisfying and hardcore built kart racers out there. It just takes time to get it down.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO! What are you doing in this thread, then?
To see if maybe i will like it now in this new version. Maybe there are improvements that will make me like it now. Or maybe i'm changed.
So if there's a demo, i'm willing to try.

And fucking lol at putting "opinion" in quotes, I've done that before and it made me look like an asshole for being condescending.
Yeah sorry bout that. But your opinion on MarioKart is so out there that i'm having a hard time believing it's anywhere near sincere.
I've also played all those games to death. Loved DKR but mostly becasue it was so much fun playing with my sister and girlfriend back then. Not because the game was actually that great. But it WAS fun.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I'd try out medium first. If you are proficient with the drift boost mechanic, medium is pretty easy. If the first few tracks are too hard on medium, you could always restart on easy.

I guess I`ll do that. I was OK at drifting in the original, but not great at it. My worry is that I will be able to get through the early levels and then get stuck in the later areas. If I end up having to play through half the game again because I had to turn down eh difficulty I will probably end up putting the game down for a long time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah sorry bout that. But your opinion on MarioKart is so out there that i'm having a hard time believing it's anywhere near sincere.
I've also played all those games to death. Loved DKR but mostly becasue it was so much fun playing with my sister and girlfriend back then. Not because the game was actually that great. But it WAS fun.
I don't have much of an opinion about MK and never really posted something like that so I don't know where that comes from, I didn't play the Wii version that much, nor the 3DS or Wii U versions. I did play a lot of the DS version, but that was like 10 years ago. The only opinion I gave was the one about the items hitting way too often when in 1st place, but nothing about handling and boosting mechanics because I'm still not familiar with them, so of course I'm not going to talk about something I don't know much about. I'm looking forward to playing both CTR and MK8 though, because as I said in a previous post, I only got MK8 a couple of weeks ago for Switch.

And yes, the "opinion" part is really condescending, don't do that unless someone said something reaaaaally stupid.

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised so many people are having issues with difficulty on medium with this game. I've never played a single second of CTR until last night and I'm doing just fine on medium. This isn't a stealth-brag post, either -- Just follow the hint/tips about boosting/drifting and the game is pretty straightforward from there. It's a challenging game for sure but as long as you're using the game mechanics correctly you're going to have a chance at #1 every race on medium.

Oct 27, 2017
Given the issues with the online and single-player difficulty, I'm surprised this game is scoring as high as it is. Definitely seems like everything else about it is really polished, and I'm excited to play it tonight!

OP
OP
digitalrelic

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the issues with the online and single-player difficulty, I'm surprised this game is scoring as high as it is. Definitely seems like everything else about it is really polished, and I'm excited to play it tonight!

I honestly don't think there's any issues with single-player difficulty. It's just a challenging game with different mechanics than MK8.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have much of an opinion about MK and never really posted something like that so I don't know where that comes from, I didn't play the Wii version that much, nor the 3DS or Wii U versions. I did play a lot of the DS version, but that was like 10 years ago. The only opinion I gave was the one about the items hitting way too often when in 1st place, but nothing about handling and boosting mechanics because I'm still not familiar with them, so of course I'm not going to talk about something I don't know much about. I'm looking forward to playing both CTR and MK8 though, because as I said in a previous post, I only got MK8 a couple of weeks ago for Switch.

And yes, the "opinion" part is really condescending, don't do that unless someone said something reaaaaally stupid.
Oh i know. That's why i said sorry.
And i thought i was talking to the first person i replied to. Not you. Anyway......

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised so many people are having issues with difficulty on medium with this game. I've never played a single second of CTR until last night and I'm doing just fine on medium. This isn't a stealth-brag post, either -- Just follow the hint/tips about boosting/drifting and the game is pretty straightforward from there. It's a challenging game for sure but as long as you're using the game mechanics correctly you're going to have a chance at #1 every race on medium.
Same here. I actually think the medium/classic mode is really well balanced with challenge.