• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hard isn't impossible. I struggled at first but now can consistently win with decent gaps against the AI when I don't make mistakes. It's not broken, imo. It's called hard for a reason *shrug*

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I just saw that N. Trance is only available in the 7200 coin summer time pack.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So a friend of mine who also gets the press kits for Crash stuff was messaging me saying there's some footage of the 2nd Grand Prix in the B-Roll and no one posted it.

We looked it over head to toe and there's no hint of an embargo, so I've uploaded it here!

Lots of corners for boosting. I like it.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hard isn't impossible. I struggled at first but now can consistently win with decent gaps against the AI when I don't make mistakes. It's not broken, imo. It's called hard for a reason *shrug*
But you're blatantly ignoring the reason everybody's calling out the reason the game's difficult. The AI can literally do things you cannot do.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Boom! Now to dive into time trials.
D9wNXOjW4AEmpMQ.jpg

I also had a really good run online on Android Alley. Probably would have kept the SF boost going for the entire third lap had it not been for that time twister.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what my fellow Switch owners think of the graphics. I don't dare ask this in the other resolution/frame rate thread, since it's quite honestly a cesspool of people shouting angrily about every single version of the game (for every non-standard PS4/XB1 version), but despite it being 480p undocked, I find it to look quite good. Graphically, it's got more details than MK8D imo, and I find it to still race smoothly at the 30 fps frame rate. What are your impressions?

Yeah, I find that items in 2nd through 4th place typically aren't very good, and often don't help you to gain a lot on players in front of you. Drop to 5th or lower, though, and you have a really good chance of getting that mask (what's his name?), which is incredibly powerful (maybe even OP?).
Was a little worried after NST on Switch which I don't think felt or looked so hot. I was ready to be disappointed about the fps but the sense of speed is great, and it looks good. I don't have any complaints with performance. An eventual PC version might really blow me away but I'm glad I got this on switch

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
D9wNXOjW4AEmpMQ.jpg

I also had a really good run online on Android Alley. Probably would have kept the SF boost going for the entire third lap had it not been for that time twister.

Awesome, congrats! I only have 1 of the plat relics. D:
But good to see you're using the best Balanced racer. <3

I'm sure having the exclusive content led people who own PS4 and any of the other consoles to buy the PS4 version, as well.
I'd love the Retro Crash skin.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I think they need to make the online play feel more inclusive. I'm fine with it as is, but newer players that are having trouble grasping the game (like my girlfriend) are gonna potentially be kind of put off by the game's "1st place or fucking nothing" approach.

I mean if you're past 3rd or 4th place, you may not even get a chance to finish depending on how good the 1st place driver was, which then makes the race feel pointless for them. Not to mention your character always does a disappointed animation if they don't nab first. It may seem silly, but having your character still cheering if they manage to get 5th in a 12 player race in MK8 is good for some player's morale, lol. It's true. That's pretty much how my gf determines if she's cool with her race results or not in MK8. "Is Wario cheering? Alright cool I'm good".

Just sayin with this game already being tough to approach for newcomers and that to just potentially get worse over time as the skill range gets higher and higher, they can use all these little nuisances they can get.

Casual appeal is something Im sure they are considering for the future. Lets just hope they dont screw with the hardcore mechanics in any future installment.

Definitely should allow people more time to finish races. 20 seconds is absurd and frustrating when you're still having fun in 3rd place

I think kart racers need to add the coop team mechanics of games like sonic because sometimes u just want to coop and not compete

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was actually completely indifferent to Joe before this game. His new cutscenes and animations made me fall in love with him though.

He's easily got one of the best characterizations in this game, especially out of the boss characters.
The boss cutscene where he's sharpening his sword on the wheel of his kart is just amazing, and I love the dance animations a lot too. :D

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
D9wNXOjW4AEmpMQ.jpg

I'm new to the series, so this is inspirational to say the least lol. WOW. Pro skills, that was pretty awesome.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I have been playing this off and on over the weekend. I decided to restart and do hard mode, world 1 complete. My hand is cramped up like a mofo though.
D9wYHO9WkAEeIwZ.png

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
so I went with the X version hoping it's better. oh man this game is amazing looking. This reminds of the Mario Kart before they simplified everything. Loving everything except AI cheapness.

even on medium it is really hard. I mean how can i be boosting at full speed and lose ground ugh.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently on Pinstripe now, playing Medium. Think I'm just gonna restart on Easy at this point. Really not having fun with the difficulty in this game at all, and I'm really disappointed as a huge fan of the PS1 original :(

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
I absolutely love Coco as always and her mannerism after winning are great especially her jogging in place with the racing skins LOL.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So how's the matchmaking working out with new players who don't know how to drift vs vets? Is the game fair about that?

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Noticed that online it always says "single race" and while that's the only mode at present, maybe implies they'll add cups at some point? I hope so.

Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading about these massive coin hauls from online play, but after three races (where I placed between 4th and 6th) I didn't receive a single coin. Or if I did, I wasn't notified of it.

What gives? From what I'm seeing, you're supposed to get coins no matter where you place in the rankings.

Oct 27, 2017
So how's the matchmaking working out with new players who don't know how to drift vs vets? Is the game fair about that?
Definitely not. In most games I've been in, there's typically one or two players near the top, and then pretty much nobody else finishes in the twenty second limit.
Apparently they've upped the time you have to finish a race online to 30 seconds. Anyone able to confirm?
I'm playing online now and it's still 20 seconds unless I need to restart the game.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep reading about these massive coin hauls from online play, but after three races (where I placed between 4th and 6th) I didn't receive a single coin. Or if I did, I wasn't notified of it.

What gives? From what I'm seeing, you're supposed to get coins no matter where you place in the rankings.

You don't get a notification of getting coins, but you do get them. Check your store, you should have a bunch.

Oct 25, 2017
You don't get a notification of getting coins, but you do get them. Check your store, you should have a bunch.
Ah, awesome! I was thrown off because all of the single player stuff notifies you of your coin haul. At first I figured I wasn't placing high enough to earn them, but when I read about how EVERYONE IS A WINNER in online (which is great because I'm terrible at this game) I was very confused.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I absolutely love Coco as always and her mannerism after winning are great especially her jogging in place with the racing skins LOL.
Coco was my main in the original CTR and they got her personality completely right in the remakes. Her new podium animation is well... actually an animation rather than just standing there!

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, awesome! I was thrown off because all of the single player stuff notifies you of your coin haul. At first I figured I wasn't placing high enough to earn them, but when I read about how EVERYONE IS A WINNER in online (which is great because I'm terrible at this game) I was very confused.

Thanks for clearing that up!
You can see your reward if you finish within that 20 second limit. It seems totally random though, I've had 160 for first place, like 200 for 4th place, 60 for 2nd, etc

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can see your reward if you finish within that 20 second limit. It seems totally random though, I've had 160 for first place, like 200 for 4th place, 60 for 2nd, etc

As noted before, outside of the initial base amount of coins you get that depend on the course and the multiplier tied to it for your placement (x1 for first, lower for placements below 1st), there seems to be a time window for the multiplier increasing significantly in online play.

I actually just sent a mail to Beenox asking for them to clarify, let's see if that'll happen.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely think the idea of a "coin happy hour time limit" that some posters mentioned is factoring into coin rewards here. Me and a friend just played a few races online - for the first 5 or 6 races we got over 300 coins each time. For the 2-3 after that, it was under 100 for both of us.

I wonder if it's the first hour of online play per specified time period (I want to say per day, but I was playing late last night and earning lots of coins. Maybe it resets at midnight).

Hope Beenox clear this up at some point, since there's no real reason to keep the coin earning formula secret.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a stretch asking this here, but how does the hard mode here compare to ModNation Racer's PS3's adventure mode? (before they added in the patch to reduce the difficulty). Based on the impressions I'm reading, it seems like it's much harder than that.

Also, trying to determine whether I should just pick up the Switch version now for $30 from that Target sale. I haven't had time to play anything so it would be silly to just buy now and barely play, if it's going to cheaper later.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's a stretch asking this here, but how does the hard mode here compare to ModNation Racer's PS3's adventure mode? (before they added in the patch to reduce the difficulty). Based on the impressions I'm reading, it seems like it's much harder than that.

Also, trying to determine whether I should just pick up the Switch version now for $30 from that Target sale. I haven't had time to play anything so it would be silly to just buy now and barely play, if it's going to cheaper later.

I can't give you a comparison, but Hard mode basically requires you to play just about perfectly and know how to use the drift boosting mechanics REALLY well, and the AI is incredibly aggressive.
There's been some explanations on how the AI works in this game a couple of pages back - the gist of it is that they have a set time they are finishing at (give or take a few seconds), which are very low on hard, and they are given an increase in speed to make up for getting hit with items.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Wanted to rewatch my Time Trial run on N.gin Lab to see where i did some mistakes but....there is no option to watch a replay?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I can't give you a comparison, but Hard mode basically requires you to play just about perfectly and know how to use the drift boosting mechanics REALLY well, and the AI is incredibly aggressive.
There's been some explanations on how the AI works in this game a couple of pages back - the gist of it is that they have a set time they are finishing at (give or take a few seconds), which are very low on hard, and they are given an increase in speed to make up for getting hit with items.
As it's been said a million times, the AI doesn't speed up to make up for getting hit by items. The problem is how strictly they stick to their path and how little variation there is from their normal routes.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I won my first online race! It wasn't clean but I'll take it. I never played much of the original so the boosting has been a learning process.