• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I never played the game, but I wonder, is Spyro playbale?

He will be post-launch.

Crash-Team-Racing-Grand-Prix-Roadmap.jpg

All free

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I'm complaining but games releasing at 9EST instead of 12EST should be the new standard lol. Love having the extra hours to play before work the next day.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just been playing the Switch version, my friends copy arrived today. Gotta say it's brilliant.

Graphics are really nice and the framerate feels solid. Looks like they have done a really good job with the Switch version.

Only slight issue I noticed was loading into a race, it seemed to take a good 30+ seconds to load a track, restarting a race was instant though. Hopefully the PS4 and Xbox versions load a bit quicker.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like activision just shot themselves in the foot.....i dont know how much the rest of you know about frames per second but im an expert.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Just been playing the Switch version, my friends copy arrived today. Gotta say it's brilliant.

Graphics are really nice and the framerate feels solid. Looks like they have done a really good job with the Switch version.

Only slight issue I noticed was loading into a race, it seemed to take a good 30+ seconds to load a track, restarting a race was instant though. Hopefully the PS4 and Xbox versions load a bit quicker.

Did you try handheld mode? How is it?

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada

If it's any indication of the final game, the various videos from the PS4 (Pro?) version seems to load quite fast.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This was solved recently I think. He was never supposed to be a CTR character:

"Thanks for the kind words. No writers Bible. We had art bibles that were loose size comparison print out sheets. Jak we had a binder. I think that I still have it somewhere. No input for the story. Crash 2, Jason just wrote it up quickly, recorded it quick and we animated it quick. Game play was king. Story was not very important. I never saw a character named Fatsy ever. CTR was not a time where we could add characters. Only Oxide was added. "

https://www.reddit.com/r/crashbandi...b_titus_former_naughty_dog_developer/e8wa71a/
Did you read his follow-up comment on that thread? It's less conclusive.

I misread 'fasty' as 'fatsy'... There could have been a character named fasty. There were tons of characters thrown around with the worst ideas discarded. Fasty sounds like a bad idea.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Yeah played only in handheld mode and it was great.

Only slightly negative thing I can say is the longer load times, as you load a race, like I mentioned. Not sure if docked would improve this or if they will patch it to make it a bit faster but everything else is really great.

Really promising then, Thanks for the good news.

Blaackstarr

Oct 30, 2017
My copy has shipped! I actually never played CTR before, but was a big Crash fan back in the day. Game looks brilliant.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
So I'm gonna say this again, and the example above seems quite obvious.. whenever you know these people are playing pirated copies, don't support the videos by watching. I know some legit copies are already being sent to buyers right now, but unless someone got one these expensive (and imported, as far I'm aware) mods to record handheld gameplay like Digital Foundry got on their Switch, that's quite obvious the game is running with some kind of homebrew...

--Otherwise, I don't think there's a problem, if you don't care to be spoiled about certain details. The impressions of the Switch version seems pretty good across the board, but as I stated before, I particularly wasn't that worried seeing N. Sane Trilogy on the system.

So it's 30FPS across all platforms? I wasn't going to get it on Switch if it was, but I didn't know it was across all.
yeah, 30fps for everybody

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
No idea. My son and I love playing Mario Kart. My son really loves Sonic. But does it have the better gameplay? I never played any of the prior Crash nor the Sonic racers.

Just looking for good split screen fun.
I'd get Sonic then if the kid's attatched to Sonic characters. As long as a game is decent, they won't notice the quality of gameplay by that much. There's a lot of mediocre games that I enjoyed as a kid as long as something else pulled me in.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
What is the source on it being 480p undocked on Switch? That's a big bummer if it's true. I figured it might not be 720p, but I was hoping it would at least be 600p, or even 540p.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
No idea. My son and I love playing Mario Kart. My son really loves Sonic. But does it have the better gameplay? I never played any of the prior Crash nor the Sonic racers.

Different focuses. Crash has a higher skill ceiling and it might take a little more effort to get the same sense of speed that TSR has at lower levels. Personally I prefer the mechanical engagement it demands compared to Sonic or Mario Kart, as I think it makes for a much more rewarding feedback loop and more interesting track designs. Granted there aren't fancy anti-gravity sections, but there's a strong weightiness and consistency to kart behavior--along with key mechanics like hopping--that make the tracks feel full of opportunity points for more speed or big air.

Crash also has far more content in tracks/characters, a battle mode, and an adventure mode, but fewer ways of conducting competitive races. There are also no cooperative racing options, it's all head-to-head outside of battle modes, which can have teams. I'm not exactly sure where Team Sonic Racing stands in that regard, but given the team focus, I'd assume you can work together in split screen.

Split screen seems to be more stable in Crash on the platforms we've seen. It's very unstable in Sonic on all(?) versions but Switch. I guess it would help to know what platform you're aiming for.

All that said, if your son loves Sonic...

...quickly indoctrinate him into the Church of Bandicology and never let him look back!

Last edited:

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018

Show him videos of the two games and ask him what he prefers, I think that CTR is the better game overall tho.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we should go for an OT title that's a jab at 60fps or MK. I like "Start your Engines!" personally.

Apr 8, 2018
So I checked the Walmart app and it looks like this will be $33.84 (for all platforms) in stores this Friday. Seems like a nice price for anyone that may be on the fence.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I don't think we should go for an OT title that's a jab at 60fps or MK. I like "Start your Engines!" personally.

Yeah, I don't feel like wasting any more words on that or inviting the controversy to drag down discussion yet again. Let the game be what it be.

In CTR terms, quit messing around trying to shoot missiles at everyone and just boost so far ahead that they can't even touch you.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a few couple months and get both. Crash would have naturally dropped to $30 or less by Xmas, and Sonic has already dropped to $30, it'll be cheaper then.

Both games play differently enough that it's worth getting both for the same price of one crappy $60 title.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man they did such an incredible job with the visuals in this. The tracks look stunning.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I can't wait to see what Digital Foundry has to say about this one. I'm interested in exploring what's lead two people now to have said it feels better/more fluid than TSR on Switch, despite both targeting 30fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.