• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
The movement and animations look really stiff and slow, and the game doesn't look like a whole lot of fun to me.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Not a huge fan of that Tawna redesign. It just clashes way too much with Crash and Coco's to make it look like she's not a bandicoot.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping TfB could avoid it, but this is the first instance of a character in this game flat-out looking worse in-game than they do in concept art. Not that they look bad in-game, but definitely not as good. See also: Elora in Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

but otherwise... it should be obvious that I'm a fan of the new look.

|OT| Crashes on Infinite Earths
Crashes on N. Finite Earths

GoGoDezmo

Nov 8, 2019
Welp, I think we have a clear winner.

Also, as to why Tawna is more human porportioned than Crash is, there's a pretty good in universe reason! Tawna (and Coco) must've spent more time under the Evolve-O-Ray than Crash did, meaning they're more evolved than Crash is.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Welp, I think we have a clear winner.

Also, as to why Tawna is more human porportioned than Crash is, there's a pretty good in universe reason! Tawna (and Coco) must've spent more time under the Evolve-O-Ray than Crash did, meaning they're more evolved than Crash is.
you know... I buy it lol
after all, there are characters like Pinstripe which are more or less in the same vein of Tawna and the Nitro Squad (more human proportions), while others are more beast-like (Tiny, Ripper Roo, etc);

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
There's more dialogue in that cut scene than in the first 3 Crash games put together. And it's not great dialogue.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Her new design look waaaay too busy imo. I like the alternate reality punkish approach but they should've trimmed it down a bit.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Something about her design looks off in game, like they shrunk her head to make her less cartoony, so now it's like a more standard proportioned humanoid character in exaggerated cartoon body land.
I think CTR had the right balance already.

For some reason they pushed her snout way in which makes her look more humanoid. Really not a fan of that.

crash_bandicoot_n_sane_trilogy_tawna_bandicoot_1250931.jpg

pzENEcE.png

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are finding playing as a tall character in the Crash universe for the first time jarring is all. You can't make Twana shorter, might as well use a new character completely at that point. Pinstripe is fairly human-sized too.

That said, the new look is great, gameplay is great, my excitement couldn't possibly be higher. Just release the game already please. And props to the animators, there was some great acting in that cutscene! (not a shock as the same could be said for all of Spyro Reignited)
You just platinumed the title trial.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
She has really stiff animations and it's bumming me out big time. What's up with her and Cortex looking like wooden planks when the animations everywhere else are so excellent?

That said, I do want her to step on me.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As a Bionic Commando fan I love the grappling hook. And I like the intent of the character redesign, but she comes off looking way too human. Moreover, for someone that they said should be played "as fast as possible", her character movement conveys the opposite of that. I hope this is a *really* early look, because she needs a lot more work. She needs to feel more like a bandicoot and needs to feel more like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden bouncing off those walls.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
There's just something about her animations that just look kinda uncanny to me. Like she mostly moves and plays like Crash but with a humanoid model?

Contrast to Dingo who animates and looks like he plays exactly what you'd expect out of a big chonky croc with a suction gun.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Hmmmm something seems off in the animations but I can't put my finger on it. All the other characters look better in motion.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If only Ratchet and Clank could come out this year so we could compare the two time/ dimension jumping mascot platformers.

Oct 27, 2017
AU Tawna probably looks "off" to some of you because there's either no or very little squash and stretch going on.
It's the reason why a highly humanoid character like Jak looks so good in the context of a cartoony platformer.
He has a bouncy quality to him that gives him a cartoony liveliness.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I mean, back when the concept art leaked months ago and we were just waiting for her confirmation alongside Dingo, I already kinda visualized how she'd play. Both in terms of mechanics (she was swinging in a rope in the art) and the visual of her model, so nothing looks off to me.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I keep forgetting this game comes out in less than a month! Awesome!
The game continues to impress me, and I bet I'll like it more than even Naughty Dog's original games, though I never liked those as much as others.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, wait...

Were Crash and Tawna regular Bandicoots who were experimented on, or were they always humanoid but Cortex wanted to experiment on them further? Never been clear on that.

If the former is the case, does that mean Cortex like...made Tawna hot?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
So, wait...

Were Crash and Tawna regular Bandicoots who were experimented on, or were they always humanoid but Cortex wanted to experiment on them further? Never been clear on that.

If the former is the case, does that mean Cortex like...made Tawna hot?
It's the former. Something went wrong during his creation of crash, and unwittingly brought about his own defeat

Oct 25, 2017
AU Tawna probably looks "off" to some of you because there's either no or very little squash and stretch going on.
It's the reason why a highly humanoid character like Jak looks so good in the context of a cartoony platformer.
He has a bouncy quality to him that gives him a cartoony liveliness.

Absolutely. The design is ok, but seeing her move in the world is really offputting.

For some reason they pushed her snout way in which makes her look more humanoid. Really not a fan of that.

crash_bandicoot_n_sane_trilogy_tawna_bandicoot_1250931.jpg

pzENEcE.png

This is my only actual criticism of the new design itself as well.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Tawna's always been a hell of a lot taller than Crash and Coco so I honestly didn't give it any thought. It's just that now she's... built... a little differently.

I think her and Cortex look about as good as each other, nice little side dishes to mess about with now and again, but probably not up there with Crash's gameplay. Dingodile looks legit fun though.

Found more concept art along with the one Garlador posted.

EhZ8pCcX0AANYJE

u6Jzyrl.jpg

That first one is 100% inspired by SS2 Gohan

Winner. This is the one.

Dec 15, 2017
I don't like either the design or the mobility of the character. Looks stiff. I'd play the hell of the game once released on PC though.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Huh, wasn't really expecting so much resistance to Tawna here. I guess I'm used to her existing with her weird, Jessica Rabbit proportions.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting redesign. Really doesn't look like Tawna at all, just looks like they made a furry Tracer. Looks cool, though would've probably liked it more if she had a hairstyle closer to her original hair or anything really that refers to her old design other than her shirt being pink, lol.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I had no clue she was going to be in the game, her redesign looks amazing. Such a vast improvement.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even remember if OG Tawna had a personality besides her bimbo-esque design

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I don't even remember if OG Tawna had a personality besides her bimbo-esque design
She really was just in another game after Crash 1, being Boom Bang, and she was even more stereotype there!

In N. Sane Trilogy and Nitro-Fueled, both Vicarious Visions and Beenox already gave her more a chance to be more than the damsel-in-distress, so if regular Tawna returned in the future, wouldn't be all bad.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Crash and Coco are bloody adorable and expressive.

Also Cortext too, not sure about the more human/natural less cartoony looking characters who are less so.

i swear to god crash and sonic are gonna go hang out in an animated tv show while constantly making references to the rich plumber guy who moved to new york who doesn't want to hang out anymore (except to fight)

Charbox

May 21, 2018
It looks a bit weird but her play style looks different enough to offer something different to the rest, i never liked the vehicle type levels in Crash 3 so I'm open to more play styles that still incorporate platforming.

Ive liked all the character designs so far and hers is no different, the art style in general is fantastic with all the characters showing more personality than ever before.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have to agree with some people in the thread, her animations look rough. I hope this is from an earlier build, because she doesn't look fun to play right now.