• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Make the crates brighter too. Fuck some of these you can't see or tell what kind of crate they are. And these aren't even ones I think meant to be hidden either.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get the perfect relic on Crash Landed and I think I have at least the first section of the level down and can get through it without too much trouble. God the level is long though and I'm afraid to do the second/final riding section of it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That first boss was pretty tough...can't imagine doing it without checkpoints.

There's totally gonna be like a Boss Rush DLC or N. Verted Bosses right?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I've written before that I thought the soundtrack was mostly just 'okay' but I do want to point out that I think the Run It Bayou music, specifically the normal, non jet board section, is stellar.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Also shout-out to some of the writing in this game, which will inevitably be something that gets very little attention. Some of the exchanges in the Flashback tapes in particular are really pretty funny.

Oct 28, 2017
All flashback tapes beaten. However I need to revisit the second to last flashback level to get all the boxes in that one. This time I'll check a guide to see how many boxes I should have when I reach the first checkpoint.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Am I crazy for wanting to 100% the hardest stages first? I want to do the impossible ones first so it gets easier as I go lol.
Nah, that's what I'm doing, I've been slowly making progress but done with the platinum relics of Rude Awakening, Toxic Tunnels, Cortex Castle, and Seeing Double. Now to practice on Nitro Processing; ah, if only had my old self's enthusiasm for chasing trophies I'd have made much faster progress :p

Oct 28, 2017
Hey maybe now that I'm better at the game I'll have an easier time getting all the boxes in the early levels in my nverted playthroughs. A Real Grind next.

I scour the stage every nook and cranny. I go super slow. I move the camera constantly. Every time there's boxes I bounce on top to see if something is hidden out of view. I am THOROUGH. Heh look at how many sneaky hidden boxes I've found. Game trying so hard to screw me over here with some of these but I'm having none of it.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M STILL MISSING 2 BOXES?!

Oct 28, 2017
Well the Nverted levels are pretty disappointing so far. Just pure padding to give the game more "content". So far it's just a visual filter that adds nothing interesting to the gameplay. That's fine, but why do these versions of levels have their own gems attatched? Force the player to play the same levels again just with a different visual filter. Pure padding. Well I suppose CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT MAKE SURE IT'S LONG modern game design had to make its way in somehow.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Dear Toys for Bob, please do the following three things in a patch:

--Make restarting a level from the menu load as fast as dying. You can go through an entire level not hitting a single checkpoint and then die right at the end and you wait like two seconds max to start at the beginning again, but restarting a level from the menu has the game reloading the entire level like you just selected it from the map.
--Add some wumpas in front of the more ridiculously hidden crates. Hidden gems can stay hidden, but the crates should be fair.
--Make the animal riding sections as forgiving for hitting crates as they are in the original trilogy. There is no reason I should hit a stack of four and somehow hit three (3) of them.
These are great, especially the animal riding parts....I restarted the Polar section so much because I'd miss stacks of four.

Also, this may be controversial, but there are too many gems in this game. For Crash 5, if you must have a wumpa collector gem, why not make it one? It's nearly impossible to miss the three wumpa gems unless you're actively missing crates.
Not the biggest fan of the 3 deaths or less and you get a gem either. Made the hidden gems (like for not dying at all) in the original games more memorable to me, while these are just kinda there for every level.

Loving the game, the n.verted levels are super cool. Hoping to go back to more of it today or tomorrow. I am just glad we have a great Crash Bandicoot game. Even with some criticisms, it has me very excited for a Crash 5. Also, stoked for a fourth Spyro game!

Oct 28, 2017
These are great, especially the animal riding parts....I restarted the Polar section so much because I'd miss stacks of four.

Also, this may be controversial, but there are too many gems in this game. For Crash 5, if you must have a wumpa collector gem, why not make it one? It's nearly impossible to miss the three wumpa gems unless you're actively missing crates.
Not the biggest fan of the 3 deaths or less and you get a gem either. Made the hidden gems (like for not dying at all) in the original games more memorable to me, while these are just kinda there for every level.

Loving the game, the n.verted levels are super cool. Hoping to go back to more of it today or tomorrow. I am just glad we have a great Crash Bandicoot game. Even with some criticisms, it has me very excited for a Crash 5. Also, stoked for a fourth Spyro game!
Wumpa gems are so pointless. You only need 1 for all the boxes. I actually am a fan of the 3 deaths or less gem, and I'm fine with hidden gems too though I don't think every level needs one. It's clear the only reason wumpa gems exist is so that everyone will be collecting gems every level no matter what. They're trying to make players feel some sort of accomplishment when they beat a level. I kind of get that but it just comes off as so artificial to me and almost devalues gems in a way.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Wumpa gems are so pointless. You only need 1 for all the boxes. I actually am a fan of the 3 deaths or less gem, and I'm fine with hidden gems too though I don't think every level needs one. It's clear the only reason wumpa gems exist is so that everyone will be collecting gems every level no matter what. They're trying to make players feel some sort of accomplishment when they beat a level. I kind of get that but it just comes off as so artificial to me and almost devalues gems in a way.
I totally understand, I think they went overboard with it.
Also, where are the crystals??? Lol

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the stages had more uniquely hidden gems like Twinsanity. I'd take that over three Gems just dedicated to Wumpa collecting.

I don't mind crystals missing, there's almost no point to them since they're so easy to collect.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'd love a remake/redo of Twinsanity. Hope they attempt that kinda Crash game again at some point.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'd love a remake/redo of Twinsanity. Hope they attempt that kinda Crash game again at some point.
I would lose my goddamn mind if we got a remake of Twinsanity. Honestly fix the bugs and tighten up the controls, and Twinsanity would be my favourite Crash game. I think it's so underrated. By far the funniest Crash game and the best story imo.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
+1 for remaking Twinsanity, that game deserved to be numbered aka Bandicoot 4

Anyway, done with the Nitro Processing and that's wrapped up the whole platinum relics for the last world and hopefully the hardest part for the platinum trophy

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for remaking Twinsanity, that game deserved to be numbered aka Bandicoot 4

Anyway, done with the Nitro Processing and that's wrapped up the whole platinum relics for the last world and hopefully the hardest part for the platinum trophy
Just wait until you have to get the perfect relics for the animal riding sections.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
30/38 perfect relics done. I've saved worst ones for last (all animal ride levels + some of the marathon length ones).

Any advice on the animal ride levels? They were already absolutely infuriating while doing just casual runs.

Oct 31, 2017
30/38 perfect relics done. I've saved worst ones for last (all animal ride levels + some of the marathon length ones).

Any advice on the animal ride levels? They were already absolutely infuriating while doing just casual runs.
I haven't done any of the N. Sane relics outside of the first 2 levels, but my one tip for those is to use the d-pad. Other than that, practice lol.

But the d-pad seemed a lot more responsive/precise than the analog stick did. It's still hard as hell though, but it helps some. I definitely think this is one area they should look at adjusting with a patch.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Well the Nverted levels are pretty disappointing so far. Just pure padding to give the game more "content". So far it's just a visual filter that adds nothing interesting to the gameplay. That's fine, but why do these versions of levels have their own gems attatched? Force the player to play the same levels again just with a different visual filter. Pure padding. Well I suppose CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT MAKE SURE IT'S LONG modern game design had to make its way in somehow.

I felt the same for most of the levels, but I gotta admit the N Verted levels for the Food Run dimension are great.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Constantly wiggly left/right very quickly, even when going straight. Much easier to hit 4 out of 4 crates for the stacks that way

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Finally got all the regular gems and platinum flashback relics tonight. Onto N.Verted next, then time trials. 14 N Sane relics.

I can say with full confidence that the polar bear is the most frustrating thing in this entire game.

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I have 33 n. sanely relics but they might all be for nothing because now it's time for Crash Landed. Just beating this level was tough. Getting a perfect here will either take hours or just infuriate me enough to quit the game. And to think I also need the plat run later too...

edit: I fucking did it. That was as much of a pain as I was expecting it to be.

Last edited:

FootieGamer

Nov 3, 2017
I just beat Cortex Castle whilst dying 113 times... I need a break because that stressed me out. How hard is the final boss?

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
These platinum time trials are mostly ridiculous. You can't die in a run, have to break most time crates, need to spam triple spin or slide spin or a combination of both, and have to deal with new crate placements which often times include new TNT and Nitro locations. For every single level.

Granted I'm probably being too hard on myself, but oh well. It's a good habit, albeit very stressful at times. I've dropped my controller out of spite a few times. I don't think I'm going for platinums ever again after this game, unless it's something I really really like.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Well... this second jetboard level (the one that crosses over with Dingodile) is going to be murder to N.Sane clear. The crates at the end are a complete pain in the ass to hit (and somehow it gets worse in the alternate version of the level). At least when your hopping on the crates as Crash to reach those otherwise impossible to reach crates it had the decency of being at the beginning of the level, not the end! Certainly gonna take me quite a few tries to clear, one to do post game for sure.
Still loving the game despite some issues I have with it though, but I definitely can't stand the secret areas in the levels, not sure what it is, but they annoy me rather than end up being fun (but hey at least you can retry them endlessly so no worry if it takes a few times to grab all the crates). Not sure where I'd rank this alongside the original 3 Crash games, but so far at least when it comes to 100%ing it, I don't think it'll end up as my favourite but its still damn good.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Well... this second jetboard level (the one that crosses over with Dingodile) is going to be murder to N.Sane clear. The crates at the end are a complete pain in the ass to hit (and somehow it gets worse in the alternate version of the level). At least when your hopping on the crates as Crash to reach those otherwise impossible to reach crates it had the decency of being at the beginning of the level, not the end! Certainly gonna take me quite a few tries to clear, one to do post game for sure.
Still loving the game despite some issues I have with it though, but I definitely can't stand the secret areas in the levels, not sure what it is, but they annoy me rather than end up being fun (but hey at least you can retry them endlessly so no worry if it takes a few times to grab all the crates). Not sure where I'd rank this alongside the original 3 Crash games, but so far at least when it comes to 100%ing it, I don't think it'll end up as my favourite but its still damn good.
You can ride the jetski backwards and it makes getting the boxes pretty darn easy

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017

Boost the jetboard backwards while going downstream at the final jetboard segments.

Oct 31, 2017
Waiting for this and Tsushima for PS5.

How long is this game on average anyway
If you are just blasting through the game without caring about completion, just to see it through to the final boss and playing all of the unique content through once, probably anywhere from 6-12 hours depending on pace and focus.

100%+, if I had to guess, probably takes anywhere from 20 - 50 hours+++ depending on a person's skill level and general dedication.

A few days ago, one of the youtube LP'ers I follow posted a screen cap of his save file which shows playtime. He'd been playing it where he was 100% completing each level's default 6 gems + the N. Sanely Perfect relics (all crates, no deaths) to record each level of his playthrough before he'd move on. The time on his save file? 99 hours.

^ That's factoring in practice and hunting for crates without guides I think, plus probably other stuff not factored in towards direct progress too. But still, this game can have quite a bit of longevity/replayability if that's what you want.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God everytime I'm missing one crate it's a barely visible one in a grind section.

Those sections are what are keeping me from N. Sane Relics honestly. A slight missed timing can ruin an entire run.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It occured to me today that if we're lucky enough to get a Crash 5, it'll be a next gen title. I wonder what they'd do visually beyond the obvious stuff, i.e. high framerate, high resolution.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Loving Crash 4, but I do think I prefer the art style of CTR + N.Sane, just my preference though. I do love how expressive and animated Crash is in this, though. It's truly great.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
God everytime I'm missing one crate it's a barely visible one in a grind section.

Those sections are what are keeping me from N. Sane Relics honestly. A slight missed timing can ruin an entire run.
You might find this to be cheating, but it helps to watch a vid of the rail sections to try and memorize the box locations.