• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the actual difficulty of the platforming, but I think they went a bit far with hiding crates

Same same same.

Love the pure platforming difficulty that's present in the game, and would hate to see it heavily dialed back because of backlash, when I feel like the primary complaint is based around hidden crates and sometimes very unforgiving checkpoint crates.

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
Going back through after beating it and trying to get all the gems/relics, I'm enjoying the game more now that I feel more at ease with the challenge. There's a definite sense of accomplishment after 100%ing a level, although the way boxes are hidden in so many out-of-sight places that you need a guide to find them all is annoying.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the actual difficulty of the platforming, but I think they went a bit far with hiding crates
Pretty much, it got to the point where I would reach the end of a level and not even begin to hope I got all of the crates even though I tried my best because there was probably a super hidden crate or two that I missed. In fact, I was actually shocked whenever I managed to get the crate gem in any level because of this.

Also, it just leads into the feelings I have about this game being one of the most disheartening platformers I ever played and probably the most disheartening Crash game I ever played. It sucked doing your best to get all of the crates and still missing some by the end of it, and actively dissuaded me from going for all of the crates which is something I never thought I would say about a Crash game.

I'll probably just get all of the extra playable character levels done and replay all of the levels in inverted mode, maybe try to platinum all of the throwback tapes, and call it a day. I'll just watch all of the extra ending stuff on YouTube.

Please Toys for Bob PLEASE if you make a Crash 5 don't listen to the people complaining about the difficulty, make Crash 5 just as hard, thank you.
I'm fine with them making it difficult as they want it too, in fact this game isn't too difficult and the real difficulty comes in when trying to 100% everything, but I do hope they tone down on the amount of hidden crates as well as just the number of crates in general in some levels.

Also, I hate the bonus rounds in this game. By the time I reached N. Brio's world I became less and less interested in doing them.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For those who have played both how would you compare the hidden crates in this to the hidden puzzle pieces/kong letters in Tropical Freeze.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't want them to scale the difficulty back much if they get the chance to do another, I'd just like a little more diversity in the level lengths and styles (more forward paths only, some chase levels only, some sidescrollers only, mount levels only) interspersed with the lengthy, all perspectives included levels this game features primarily.

And thinking about it a little more, a lot of the game's frustration comes from trying to 100% long levels with most having at least one sequence where there's no backtracking/forced forward movement (railgrinds or vehicle/animal mounts). And in basically all of the forced forward movement sequences in the game, it's extremely easy to miss a single crate or two and have to restart the lengthy levels just to get back to the location you flubbed. It's an extreme pace and motivation killer, honestly.

Too much of the more annoying sequences in this game is reliant on trial and error and/or hard memorization. And this is exemplified by the game's Bonus Rooms, which has been mentioned often. Instead of a respite from the challenges in a level, this game's bonuses cranks the challenge up. I get it in some ways cause without costing lives/deaths, they can get more wild with it. But it's not exactly the most fun thing to be progressing well through a level, only to get to the bonus and have to retry it 30+ times initially.

And yeah, it'd be nice if more of the hidden crates were more intuitive to find, and that more of the game's crate challenge was more about platforming execution (like the Flashback Tapes).

Still I'd rather have harder than easier, and I'm glad they were more bold with this game's challenge.

Now time for me to try and mop up the gems/flashback tapes I didn't get and do. I'll save the time trials relics for very last I think, even after the N. Sane ones.
For those who have played both how would you compare the hidden crates in this to the hidden puzzle pieces/kong letters in Tropical Freeze.
The KONG letters and the puzzle pieces are both more intuitive than the crates in this game, simply because you can kind of better intuit where they might be. KONG letters are almost always obvious, but tied to a platforming challenge, while the puzzle pieces are often obscured/more cleverly hidden like the crates are in this game. But the thing is, the puzzle pieces are always divided out pretty much equally so you can kind of zero in on them based on the location of other pieces you've found. If there's 5 pieces, you can divide the level up into 5 equal segments

You can't really do that with the hidden crates in this; you just have to be thorough and hope you've stumbled onto all of them.

Not to mention there's Squawks to help mop up if you desire.

I think people's suggestion of there being crate counters for each sequence segemented by Checkpoints could be good, that way you can better know where at in a level you're missing crates and zero in your search. Maybe it's something they could limit to post game too.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
There were only three sections I recall really getting my goat with dying a lot, and that was the N.Trophy boss having a few segments that felt super tight (alleviated heavily by generous checkpointing), the final stretch of Cortex Castle of course (I swear this doesn't actually change on the Cortex edition, what more could they do outside of dickish nitros I guess!) and the final checkpoint run of that first space stage where you flip gravity back and forth in a 2D stretch of electric bolt gunners who are factually the worst.

Otherwise i'm more looking at the issues of difficulty as ramping up fast enough to be a hurdle for people who say, don't rush out to pay £50 for platformers on launch out of a sheer insatiable lust for the genre, that and like a lot of platformers the more confident you are with advanced moves, the easier you might just blow past things that would trip others up, which is to say, slide jump is pretty crazy in this one.

If we're strictly talking just the crates that are hidden, I'm still not entirely sure its comparable.
That and KONG letters are placed right out in plain sight so it's really only puzzle pieces that apply here and they're often signposted with bananas, wumpa fruit doesn't tend to fill the same role for this game's most hidden crates.

You get a few that can be quite well placed in the environment like a gap in a waterfall opposite the critical path that indicates something is over there, there are others deliberately tucked behind (or even in going by the tires example earlier) bits of scenery as you go past, there's also a trend of a number of arrow crates having setups where there's an extra crate off the top of the screen which for some reason is recurring enough that you'll start to second guess every arrow crate.
throw in a layer of then wondering if you can jump over to a certain bit of scenery only to find it's just that, scenery with a invisible wall around it, such is the desperation of where's the dang crate?!
Truly brings back memories of some DKC1 "lemme just fling myself down this pit real quick, you never know!"

I think the conflict here comes from the fact that crates aren't really supposed to be that hidden in OG trilogy logic, there's already hidden gems in this game for that angle, so it feels like a bizarre choice to have 200 odd crates in a stage with most placed in batches along the visible path be it easily obtained or ones that take a bit more platforming savvy legwork, and then hitting the end like "198/200? where the heck were the other two?!"
Especially when the 100% crate run is kinda like Crash's thing, that extra hook on the level design.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess comparing like six collectibles to 100+ boxes is kind of dumb of me...also strictly 2D plane vs 3D movement.

But I remember people complaining about those hidden items in Return and TF and I always thought they were pretty fair and rewarded paying attention to the background and thinking critically about where an item might me.

On the other hand...haven't played Crash 4...like those boxes hidden behind the stairs in that Bayou level seem lame. The boxes above bouncy boxes are alright...but yeah.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bigger issue with puzzle pieces were that...
- The bonus rooms are the worst part of TF (and Returns) due to repeating the same 6 or so over and over
- The few that involved doing the little time banana nabbing task from ground pounding flower buds or what not, because that meant you'd feel obligated to tackle every one just in case

Placement otherwise was generally pretty strong as I recall

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I definitely love this game but after struggling with so many crates even in the earlier levels doubled with reading impressions on later levels I really hope they release a patch of some sort. Love the general difficulty but I honestly think being able to get through every level with all crates without dying shouldn't be necessary for the platinum.

Oct 28, 2017
All that effort to get the boxes. All those deaths. 436/441 boxes. This game just loves slapping you in the face at the end of a level and it hates praising you.

Oct 31, 2017
I guess comparing like six collectibles to 100+ boxes is kind of dumb of me...also strictly 2D plane vs 3D movement.

But I remember people complaining about those hidden items in Return and TF and I always thought they were pretty fair and rewarded paying attention to the background and thinking critically about where an item might me.

On the other hand...haven't played Crash 4...like those boxes hidden behind the stairs in that Bayou level seem lame. The boxes above bouncy boxes are alright...but yeah.
I think the really obscure crates in this game are more frustrating to locate than those collectables in the modern DKC games, as someone who's now played all of them.

It's also definitely very frustrating when you're going for all of them, have found a bunch of them hidden in a level and have retried a few sequences a bunch of times to grab the crates, only to get to the very end and wind up missing less than 5.

There were several levels in this game that I probably spent 30+ minutes on trying to be thorough with the crates, only to get to the end and be short. When that happens multiple times, it's quite frustrating/exhausting honestly.

And as Nocturnowl said, those games also do a better job of signposting/nudging.

I definitely love this game but after struggling with so many crates even in the earlier levels doubled with reading impressions on later levels I really hope they release a patch of some sort. Love the general difficulty but I honestly think being able to get through every level with all crates without dying shouldn't be necessary for the platinum.
The crates can be frustrating yes, but it's a static problem that resolves itself once you learn the stages.

I'll keep saying that the suggestion to patch them is not a good one.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just did a tawna level with two sets of eyes, backtracking and jumping around all over the place, testing the boundaries of each section. Suicided multiple times on the final coco segment to get all the boxes.

I still missed two. Toys for Bob what in the absolute christ.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So apart from the N-Sane Relic you can collect all the Boxes, the 80 percent Wumpa Fruit, and the die less than 3 times gems seperately right?

Trying to figure out what I want to get out of this game accomplishment wise and that seems doable for me

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

So how is the game so far? Is it a must-buy? How much creativity is there in it?

Oct 28, 2017
Really wish you could disable pity Aku Aku's. It's fine in the originals since you're never actually going to die enough to get them. In this game however it's very obnoxious.

Oct 31, 2017
Really wish you could disable pity Aku Aku's. It's fine in the originals since you're never actually going to die enough to get them. In this game however it's very obnoxious.
I agree. This was one of my complaints as well. And there weren't enough of them just to pick up in the levels + you can't carry them between levels either (I think), which seems like a big oversight if it wasn't deliberate.

Oct 28, 2017
If I actually did have all the boxes there I am so fucking angry. Bit where you're jumping from platform to platform in the sky sort of automated running. Got to end after MANY MANY deaths. Jumped down to the end.

MISSED THE FUCKING NITRO CRATE!

Any insane hidden boxes I would have missed anyway?

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. In addition to pity aku akus this game has pity checkpoints. I don't need or want a pity checkpoint.

Do pity checkpoints count towards the box total?

Oct 28, 2017
Up to Cortex Castle. I'm going to sleep now. Will attempt that level in the morning. It's named after one of the best tracks in CTR so it must be good.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

So how is the game so far? Is it a must-buy? How much creativity is there in it?
I'm really enjoying it, it's everything I've wanted in a new Crash game and I'm always there for platformers especially higher budget platformers, but I do have my grievances with it too.

I think it's a great game, just know that it can be difficult (especially when trying to 100% a level.)

Oct 31, 2017
Crash 4 is the DOOM Eternal of platformers
I can kind of get behind this, but I think DOOM Eternal is more fair honestly in some of its really difficult parts. And it definitely telegraphs its secrets, compared to the complete lack of telegraphing in this game for a lot of the hidden secrets/crates.

I beat Eternal on UV and got about halfway through a Nightmare run before I'd stopped (and I should return to it).

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Played for like 4 hours today and the progress is so minimal:

3 levels cleared
1 boss cleared
2 tapes cleared
2 n.sanely relics
1 platinum time relic

In other Crash games 4 hours would get me through a huge chunk of the game lol.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
Those 2x2 crate stacks in the bear level really are a toss-up. Lost my chance at the perfect relic due to getting only 3 of the 4 on the last stack :(

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
N. Tropy:

fe4.jpg