• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I FUCKING DID IT. I GOT ALL THE CRATES ON A LEVEL ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT HOLY SHIT YESSSSSS

Butt clenching at the end too because thank fuck this game doesn't follow the rules of the originals and actually require you to pick up the gem at the end for it to count. I was grinding a rail and the level surprisingly ended at the end of the rail and I accidentally belly flopped so I just missed the gem to end the level. I screamed NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Then breathed a sigh of relief when it still counted even though I didn't actually pick up the gem at the end.

I feel you, lol. I spent a lot of time getting boxes in this level and then saw after about 200 that there were 441. Four hundred and forty-one!!! As I approached the end, I kicked the nitro exploder box with my eyes closed, lol.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The Run It Bayou level is bullshit, even the flashback tape in this level is near the end, and all these hidden boxes that are impossible to see or figure out when the level is already full of challenging crates! This is frustrating cause there's a hidden gem that is usually hard to find in every level and the colored gems, so the couple impossible hidden crates are just stupid. This has been my problem with the game, and the camera angles at certain spots that kill me half the time (I'm playing on base PS4 so the framerate is also not helping).

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
The Run It Bayou level is bullshit, even the flashback tape in this level is near the end, and all these hidden boxes that are impossible to see or figure out when the level is already full of challenging crates! This is frustrating cause there's a hidden gem that is usually hard to find in every level and the colored gems, so the couple impossible hidden crates are just stupid. This has been my problem with the game, and the camera angles at certain spots that kill me half the time (I'm playing on base PS4 so the framerate is also not helping).

That's the one where you have to
skip the first jet ski and hop on some crates to get the gem

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I watched the cutscenes on YouTube...maybe there's added context with in level dialogue but, ooooof, pretty disappointed in that regard.

I know story isn't a huge concern I guess but Crash was one of the first platformer mascots that attempted cutscenes, and like all of them in this game just come off as kind of cringy. Not as silly and referential as Mr. T-Crunch era, but kind of flaccid?

Only performance I like from what I saw was the main Quantum mask.

I thought they did a pretty good job within the framework they were going for (i.e. a light, Saturday morning cartoon that doesn't take too much time away from the gameplay).

What are some games you think of as better examples?

Oct 25, 2017

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Twinsanity for the most part, but it definitely leans more towards the scattershot, 90s Nickelodeon style of storytelling for me. I found 4 to be a lot more coherent and satsifying as a story, personally.

Different approaches though, both valid.
I do like 4's story more but I feel like it's unfair to compare because of how blatantly rushed Twinsanity was.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's absolute bullshit:

www.youtube.com

Crash Bandicoot 4 - Run it Bayou 100% - All Gems and Box Locations Walkthrough (YELLOW GEM)

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, 100% walkthrough. All Gems and Boxes. This is the normal version of the level. On the N.Verted mode, the boxes are all in...
this is exactly the kind of thing that needs to be toned down severely for the next outing.

To be clear, I find this to be a fun level! But the way they hid things here is not fun! Totally obscuring things with no indication there might be something there does not make for a fun challenge. Even if you catch the iron ! crate peeking out behind the barrel when you jump off the rope, you still can't even see the outlines of the crates it activates.

I prefer things more like this section from Stay Frosty. Multiple instances of boxes out of reach, or the hidden gem being tantalizingly close, with seemingly no way to get to them. But then you go a bit further, and find out you can get to them with some tricky platforming. I love it when the game challenges my platforming skill. And I don't mind them making me pay attention to smaller details to notice something. But things that are just obscured completely suck.

Last edited:

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I do like 4's story more but I feel like it's unfair to compare because of how blatantly rushed Twinsanity was.

Also a good point.

this is exactly the kind of thing that needs to be toned down severely for the next outing.

To be clear, I find this to be a fun level! But the way they hid things here is not fun! Totally obscuring things with no indication there might be something there does not make for a fun challenge.

Those kinds of "secrets" make me think of the leap from Wolfenstein 3D to Doom. In Wolf you basically just had to mash spacebar on every single wall in the hopes of finding a secret. In Doom, secrets were more likely to be signposted in some way.

I'm not sure making the player blindly spin around in every space large enough to conceal a crate is great design.

Oct 27, 2017
Like, no Crash story is winning any Oscars lol, but I really love the way Crash 4 tells it's story; it honestly doesn't feel like it'd be out of place in the classic Naughty Dog trilogy. It was serious when it needed to be, humorous where it needed to be, and it had heart. Stuff like Twinsanity (and Wrath of Cortex to a certain extent) got way too goofy, 4th wall breaking, and mean for my taste.
Oh man, when I first heard Drive-Thru Danger, I was really impressed with how much it slapped. It's so good, it really is a shame there are no equivalent tracks in 4 at all, really. :(
Oh, it's ridiculous how much of a bop Drive-Thru Danger is. And you want to know what CTR: Nitro Fueled had that Crash 4 doesn't? Josh freakin' Mancell, baby lol
Honestly, you know what's funny, Crash 4 reminds me a ton of DKC Returns in a lot of ways. Especially in the music department. Like both games are great returns to form n' whatnot, but they both have really underwhelming music compared to their legendary predecessors. And, honestly, if Retro Studios could convince penny-pinching Nintendo to let them get David Wise back for Tropical Freeze I'm sure that Toys for Bob can convince penny-pinching Activision to hire Josh Mancell again.

BranCrackr

Oct 4, 2019
Finally completed all the flashbacks; probably shaved a few years off my life, and just in time for the perfect relics

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I decided to just play through the game without going the 100% completion route. Some things are just stupid hard and frustrating.

Makes it a lot more enjoyable.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Had a power outage about 30 minutes into trying to get the blue gem.

I think it's a sign from god that I need to keep calm.

Oct 31, 2017
I've not yet made it to Cortex Castle, but I'm on Toxic Tunnels just now and have been trying to complete the "all color gems" path in it for about the last hour and it's fucking hard. Like, really hard. I'm curious to see what Cortex Castle itself looks like judging by what people are saying...

The game may have an ESRB rating of E for Everyone, but maybe it should have been rated M for Masochists because my god at some of these levels and trying to shoot for it all. I'll probably do it, at least a legitimate effort, but man some of the parts in this game and the thought of not dying.

I'm also dreading the relics, though I honestly have never cared much for them (or time trials in most games tbh).

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Done getting no death perfect runs for every stage. Just need to do the Inverted levels and Platinum relics.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am having a blast with this game, but I am also finding it hard enough that I salute all of you that are pursuing full completion. This game seems borderline insane if you're going for 100% (or full trophies/achievements to put it more accurately).

I know a listing slipped for a Series X edition of this game but I wish Activision had gotten out there and announced something by now. I'd buy it for Xbox One X if there was an upgrade path made clear.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my Crash 4 review on the off chance anyone's interested. I don't often review anything, or even write very often, but I'm a big Crash fan so I wanted to do something for this game.

medium.com

Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time Review

Does the franchise’s fourth entry resurrect and restore the legacy of the iconic mascot?

I liked it a lot on the whole, but I think the box collection and zero death runs required for collectibles don't sit that well with some elements of the level design, such as how long the levels are, or how the game always seems to want to trip the player up by hiding boxes off screen, or bonus levels that always seem to frustrating puzzle mechanics wherein hitting the wrong crate forces a restart.
This is a great review. Not because I found myself agreeing with it, but because it gets into what works and what doesn't with the challenges the game offers, and gives solid examples and comparisons to its contemporaries.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Had a power outage about 30 minutes into trying to get the blue gem.

I think it's a sign from god that I need to keep calm.

Quite the opposite, actually. Clearly the green light o rage.

I am having a blast with this game, but I am also finding it hard enough that I salute all of you that are pursuing full completion. This game seems borderline insane if you're going for 100% (or full trophies/achievements to put it more accurately).

I know a listing slipped for a Series X edition of this game but I wish Activision had gotten out there and announced something by now. I'd buy it for Xbox One X if there was an upgrade path made clear.

Same here. I'm 10 levels in and I'll just be happy to see the end credits on this one.

Oct 28, 2017
HOLY SHIT THEY DO REFERENCE TWINSANITY YESSSSSSSS

Even more respect for the game. They are respecting more than just the Naughty Dog games. Good.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Finished all flashback tape levels! Ton a fun to figure out the best path through them.
I'm now slowly going through each level trying to get all gems and the levels really don't seem overly long when you run through them a second or third time. Experience from the asshole boxes in later levels makes them easier to find now, too.

Still unsure if I want to go for the relics.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
HOLY SHIT THEY DO REFERENCE TWINSANITY YESSSSSSSS

Even more respect for the game. They are respecting more than just the Naughty Dog games. Good.
All the past 7 mainline games gets a nod or two! Either being small references or direct cameos! I was very relieved to see how TfB did all the stuff to maintain the continuity intact, despite making an mid-sequel after all this time!

and better yet, it's not much on your face, so if you're a casual and don't care about lore stuff and just wanted to play a game similar to the ND games, you probably wouldn't even notice!

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Funny enough I got the perfectvrun for Cortex Castle immediately after finishing the level for the first time

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Can't decide if I want to play it now or on PS5. I would have the time now, but it would be one more title for the new console and I really don't like my PS4 Pro, since it's so loud.

Edit: Just bought it, can't wait any longer.

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
71 deaths
Cortex Castle can fuck off to the highest degree

Edit: oh no, the next level is a Cortex one and is going to make me redo a big chunk of Cortex Castle again
God damnit......

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the different character versions of levels didnt include the Crash/Coco parts from the regular version. Maybe they didnt want the levels to be too short but I'd rather have that variety in level size and without the repeated stuff.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the different character versions of levels didnt include the Crash/Coco parts from the regular version. Maybe they didnt want the levels to be too short but I'd rather have that variety in level size and without the repeated stuff.
I kinda didn't mind this at first, but it made it so you had to play these levels even more times than you'd want.

The Dingo pirate one is annoying cuz Dingo's section is like, 6 seconds lmao. So you end up basically playing Booty Calls at least 6 times if you go for everything and that's assuming you play perfectly.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The blue gem was easier than I thought it'd be, the first section of the level before you get to the bonus round is probably the hardest part. Everything past the bonus round was pretty manageable.
Same here.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
This game is rumored to come to PS5 and Series X right? I'm definitely gonna double dip if true, this game deserves all the love

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Initially I thought the music was a bit weak, but after Off Beat and the levels onward I came to appreciate it a lot more.

GoGoDezmo

Nov 8, 2019
The music as a whole isn't as energetic as Josh Mancell's scores for the original games, but there's still a lot here I love. Jetboard Jetty, for instance, is super catchy.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The music as a whole isn't as energetic as Josh Mancell's scores for the original games, but there's still a lot here I love. Jetboard Jetty, for instance, is super catchy.

This is actually really good, I wish I'd been more aware of it during my run. I find it so hard to absorb music in games, especially when they're as tricky as Crash 4 is.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda saddens me how inactive this OT is :( This game is incredible, even with some questionable design decisions. Where are all the N Sane Trilogy fans?

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird how bad some of the crates can be because the colored gems all have hints in the levels they are in, usually near where you'll find them, so at least you know where to look. So it's not like Toys for Bob are unaware how to make hidden stuff enjoyable to find. Meanwhile some of the hidden crates are just "how was I supposed to know this!?!"

RockmanBN

Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Kinda saddens me how inactive this OT is :( This game is incredible, even with some questionable design decisions. Where are all the N Sane Trilogy fans?
Just need to do the Inverted levels and platinum time relics. Got the perfect relics and flashbacks done. Tbh, I've been loving the difficulty and length of the levels. My main complaint with the game is cryptic box locations and animal/ride hitbox size.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to drive me N. sane trying to get 100% but dang its fun.