• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Celeste, I kind of wish that this game segmented the difficulty of its levels a bit better for those wanting to get 100% completion and the gems. It seems like fewer people would be bouncing off of it were it not for the overlong levels and difficulty spikes. I can't remember which poster suggested it in this thread but level checkpoints should have evolved from their original design to allow for more insight into the number of crates in each section. Having secret crates in hard to find spots can be fun but the length of the levels just turn it into tedium and frustration with no real upside. It really feels like a design oversight in retrospect because it's making me sour on levels with otherwise excellent gameplay mechanics. I constantly feel like I should be enjoying it more than I actually am.

Oct 28, 2017
I FUCKING DID IT. I GOT ALL THE CRATES ON A LEVEL ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT HOLY SHIT YESSSSSS

Butt clenching at the end too because thank fuck this game doesn't follow the rules of the originals and actually require you to pick up the gem at the end for it to count. I was grinding a rail and the level surprisingly ended at the end of the rail and I accidentally belly flopped so I just missed the gem to end the level. I screamed NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Then breathed a sigh of relief when it still counted even though I didn't actually pick up the gem at the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Besides a possible trophy, is there anything tied to perfect runs?

Also, how the hell do you spin while wall running? I've seen it done in vids but I stall when I do it.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I FUCKING DID IT. I GOT ALL THE CRATES ON A LEVEL ON THE FIRST ATTEMPT HOLY SHIT YESSSSSS

Butt clenching at the end too because thank fuck this game doesn't follow the rules of the originals and actually require you to pick up the gem at the end for it to count. I was grinding a rail and the level surprisingly ended at the end of the rail and I accidentally belly flopped so I just missed the gem to end the level. I screamed NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Then breathed a sigh of relief when it still counted even though I didn't actually pick up the gem at the end.
This is Off Beat right? I did the very same thing lol.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hit the ending last night. Going to plan on at least playing all the N. Verted stages and going for all skins. Doing flashback tapes will depend on how Im feeling since some of them are pretty late into difficult stages.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I'm cleaning up after finishing the game and I'm just blasting through the levels. Initially, I sympathised with the claims of levels being too long and boxes being consistently too hidden (and in some cases, they are and I've had to look at a guide for more than a couple), but I'm starting to lean the other way now. Once you know where they are, this feels just like the original trilogy, and the level length drops to 3 to 4 minutes grabbing everything towards the middle of the game. That might change once I reach the very late game, but I'm soaring through some of these earlier levels and sections that gave me trouble, so I doubt it. By the time you've finished mopping up the gems on both normal and N. Verted mode, you're well prepared to grab the N. Sanely Perfect relic, often picking it up during your N. Verted run.

I'm loving this game. There are some issues which others have touched upon, with most importantly the controls/hitboxes for Polar and Shnurgle (yeah, that's its name), a small number of hidden boxes on a first runthrough and having skins locked behind a set number of gems per level rather than in total, but they can all be tweaked if need be. Someone earlier in this thread also brought up a lack of cooldown and I can agree. The bonuses used to be a chill pit stop for you to get some extra lives, but now they're all fiendish puzzles and that can tire you out if you're playing nonstop.

I enjoyed the story and cutscenes too. The cutscene at the start of Out For Launch had me laughing hard, and this is easily the best these characters have ever been presented. My only criticism is that it's jarring how quickly Cortex and Tropy break out and straight away are in their base. A cutscene showing us how they got there would have been nice.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweet monkey jesus Run it Bayou ia hard. Obviously I always try to get all boxes possible on a first run and this opening.....goddamn this opening.

If this game hides boxes from me after the effort I'm going to here I will be upset.

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Here's my Crash 4 review on the off chance anyone's interested. I don't often review anything, or even write very often, but I'm a big Crash fan so I wanted to do something for this game.

medium.com

Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time Review

Does the franchise’s fourth entry resurrect and restore the legacy of the iconic mascot?

I liked it a lot on the whole, but I think the box collection and zero death runs required for collectibles don't sit that well with some elements of the level design, such as how long the levels are, or how the game always seems to want to trip the player up by hiding boxes off screen, or bonus levels that always seem to frustrating puzzle mechanics wherein hitting the wrong crate forces a restart.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I thought the story was pretty decent here. it was lighthearted but it wasn't insultingly so

N. Tropy was an actually effective and serious villain who wasn't played for laughs and there was some drama there.

all in all, it was much closer to the Naughty Dog games rather than the later "haha we are so quirky" games

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It's absolute bullshit:

www.youtube.com

Crash Bandicoot 4 - Run it Bayou 100% - All Gems and Box Locations Walkthrough (YELLOW GEM)

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, 100% walkthrough. All Gems and Boxes. This is the normal version of the level. On the N.Verted mode, the boxes are all in...
Fuck it, I gave up finding those normally... it's not reasonable, it's not fair and it's complete and utter bullshit. That's the one flaw this game has... it's a shame as it's basically perfect otherwise. And it sucks, the 3 levels in the demo had perfectly reasonable "hidden" boxes that were showed to you if you were paying attention and that you wouldn't miss by being very thorough... in this case it's just bullshit. The hidden boxes in the beginning, the colored gem, the hidden gem... all bullshit.

Another thing is that the time trial ghosts are pointless, due to the time-stop boxes.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
This game is taunting me. For the first time I get all 6 gems on my first run of a level. Now all of a sudden this level has a requirement of 7 gems to unlock its skin?! All the others it was 6!

I assume the 7th is doing it without dying once?

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
I'll just say it. Im glad crash is back. I'm glad this game had a lot of effort put into it and high production values. I'm glad the art style is fitting and pleasant. I'm glad it's a return to hallway style platforming in an updated and modern way.

But I absolutely hate the choices they made with this game regarding level length, box locations, annoying bonus stages, etc. I have fun playing this game as a vanilla platformer but the minute I try to collect boxes or bonus rounds I just give up.

I get they wanted to justify a 60 dollar package but this was just NOT the way to do it IMO. Running with the whole "crash is the dark souls of platforming" when the original games literally never were will forever be the strangest decision I've seen when they did everything else so perfectly.

Naught Dog did a lot of focus testing to get their difficulty just right. I wonder if toys for bob did the same?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oooof those boxes hidden under the staircases are pretty bad.

On the other hand Run it Bayou is a great pun.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here's my Crash 4 review on the off chance anyone's interested. I don't often review anything, or even write very often, but I'm a big Crash fan so I wanted to do something for this game.

medium.com

Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time Review

Does the franchise’s fourth entry resurrect and restore the legacy of the iconic mascot?

I liked it a lot on the whole, but I think the box collection and zero death runs required for collectibles don't sit that well with some elements of the level design, such as how long the levels are, or how the game always seems to want to trip the player up by hiding boxes off screen, or bonus levels that always seem to frustrating puzzle mechanics wherein hitting the wrong crate forces a restart.

Thanks for the review.

Is it necessary to 100% the game to unlock all of the levels & bonus levels or is the 100% requirement just for the optional ending & all the special outfits?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Finished it earlier. I think by and large my thoughts are about the same as most people, game is great, from a pure gameplay perspective may be the best one of the bunch. But yeah, some levels are way too long, especially once you start getting into the later game and in general I think they overdid it with the collection stuff, but I've never been one of those collectathon folks in general, so massive amounts of stuff to collect doesn't do a lot for me. Honestly, I know I got jumped on by some for saying this about the older games, but I didn't really find it all that hard of a game to just beat lol. I imagine getting all the stuff is near impossible, but meh, I was never going to do that anyway probably tbh.

Besides a possible trophy, is there anything tied to perfect runs?

Also, how the hell do you spin while wall running? I've seen it done in vids but I stall when I do it.

I think to get the secret ending you need those, though I'm not 100%. I don't think anyone has gotten it yet.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Naught Dog did a lot of focus testing to get their difficulty just right. I wonder if toys for bob did the same?
You say it like focus testing is a good thing. Naughty Dog's focus testing is what ultimately brought into the world Uncharted's braindead automatic platforming.

I find CB 4 difficulty perfect. It's so cool they took the time to hide shit so ingeniously sometimes. You don't need to find every crate and get every trophy, reign in that FOMO and enjoy the ride cause it's fucking exceptional platforming.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the review.

Is it necessary to 100% the game to unlock all of the levels & bonus levels or is the 100% requirement just for the optional ending & all the special outfits?

Just for the optional endings I believe.

I haven't done it, it'll take me forever if I even go for it. I'll keep ploughing away at it in the background but I worry I'll give up. Crash 4 has so much content, which is a good thing, but that also makes the 106% challenge extra daunting. I'd argue it's harder than the original 3 games combined.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
This game is taunting me. For the first time I get all 6 gems on my first run of a level. Now all of a sudden this level has a requirement of 7 gems to unlock its skin?! All the others it was 6!

I assume the 7th is doing it without dying once?
The skins are unlocked from the total number of gems you get in both the regular and inverted version of the levels. So you can for example get 5 gems in the regular level and 2 in the inverted version of the level to unlock the skin.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
You say it like focus testing is a good thing. Naughty Dog's focus testing is what ultimately brought into the world Uncharted's braindead automatic platforming.

I find CB 4 difficulty perfect. It's so cool they took the time to hide shit so ingeniously sometimes. You don't need to find every crate and get every trophy, reign in that FOMO and enjoy the ride cause it's fucking exceptional platforming.

How is sticking a bunch of crates behind stairs obscured by the camera angle ingenious?

That automatic platforming is literally a copy of the exact mechanics from Tomb Raider Legend, which was based on the platforming from the Prince of Persia games, do I don't know what Uncharted has to do with that.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
The flashback tapes haven't been too difficult to 100% so far, but I just got to the last flashback level for Crash, and whew baby

Oct 27, 2017
The game really is fantastic as a "vanilla" platformer where you just bust up boxes every now and again and go from A to B in one piece. And, honestly, I 100% believe that this is how most people (including reviewers) have played and will play Crash 4.
Imo, the game's crate placement flaws and other completionist related shortcomings are equivalent to Warped's vehicle levels, it's a tad bit annoying, yeah (crate collection is a core part of classic Crash's gameplay loop), but it doesn't take away from Crash 4's fantastic levels design (seriously, in addition to the thrilling challenge, they have an amazing flow to them), great use of the quantum mask power-ups, the highly imaginative enemy design, the fun boss battles, beautiful graphics, and the super charming animation and cutscenes. If they just got the boxes right this would be my 10/10 GOTY haha
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but does Uncharted need more involved platforming??
The series' core engagement is the shootouts and gunplay. In my eyes, the platforming" clearly exist to give the player a break from the constant fighting and also help to cement the feeling of being an Indiana Jones-esque hero on an adventure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Cortex Castle.

giphy.gif

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched the cutscenes on YouTube...maybe there's added context with in level dialogue but, ooooof, pretty disappointed in that regard.

I know story isn't a huge concern I guess but Crash was one of the first platformer mascots that attempted cutscenes, and like all of them in this game just come off as kind of cringy. Not as silly and referential as Mr. T-Crunch era, but kind of flaccid?

Only performance I like from what I saw was the main Quantum mask.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have any issues in claiming this to be my favourite Crash game yet, there's some fantastic level design in here, and it's great fun to play.

There is absolutely no chance in hell I'm going for all the collectibles though, absolutely fuck that.

I do feel the game is too harsh with how far apart the checkpoints are placed.

Anyway, I've only got four levels left and I'll be attempting them tomorrow night.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand Walter Mair has mostly scored realistic games like Killzone that tend to have really understated film-esque BGMs. And it's very easy to tell with Crash 4 because the ost feels like the underscore for an animated feature.
Honestly the only tracks that really pop back into my head are the main theme, Dino Dash's background music, Off Beat's BGM, and that remix of Ripper Roos's theme on the bayou level. That's about it. Oh, and that N. Tropy boss theme remix was dope too.

You know, considering how much of classic Crash they really nailed you'd think they'd understand that we'd want more catchy video game-y music similar to the first three games.

Man...these two CTR:NF BGMs gave me so much hope for the future of Crash music lol:

Sooo goood!

Oh man, when I first heard Drive-Thru Danger, I was really impressed with how much it slapped. It's so good, it really is a shame there are no equivalent tracks in 4 at all, really. :(

The ones you get by not jumping on the waterboard are great. Easy to see and a good challenge that adds to the level. The hidden ones are bullshit and they ruin everything.

Yeeep. Remains my biggest issue with the game design. I love the boxes that are right in front of you that challenge you to go out of your way to get them, but these overly hidden ones with absolutely 0 indication of being where they are, ruin the fun of breaking them all.

I sincerely hope TFB doesn't lean so hard into this if they tackle a Crash 5. And either ease up on the level lengths or checkpoint placements (preferably the latter, as the lengthy stages are pretty fun imo).