• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Am I the only one who just uses the regular skin? I don't wanna to play as a chicken, just give me Crash.

I do for Crash, but I change up Coco because I'm bitter about how much they changed her look from N.Sane

Rated for Series X on ESRB

Crash Bandicoot™ 4: It’s About Time - ESRB

Crash Bandicoot™ 4: It’s About Time - Everyone 10+ - This is a platformer game in which players help Crash Bandicoot travel through time to stop a destructive force.

I look forward to the free upgrade next month.

Lol, yeah, I know, I know.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
For those wondering it literally says it's optimised for Series S|X on the Australian Xbox store.

BTW the game is awesome. Played quite a few hours already and it feels like a natural evolution of the series. Visuals are gorgeous on XB1X

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So to confirm, for the N. Sanely Perfect medals, you have to:

- not die a single time
- get all the crates
- AND get all the clear gems
- all in a single run

Is that correct?

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Just finished "Off Beat."

The level themes in this game are top notch. Easily the best outside of Odyssey in over a decade.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
That's...slightly better than expected?

God, I can't imagine doing that for levels like Stormy Ascent or the 2nd bridge level in Crash 1.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the difficulty spike from the 2nd to 3rd level if you're trying to 100% it. Also uuggghhh I'm not enjoy the fact I'll have to restart a level all because I wasn't fast enough switching from grinding to hanging fast enough & missed a crate.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, big QoL thing I can't believe they missed

The death counter should not start until you hit the first checkpoint. As it is now, you might as well restart the level entirely if you die early to reset it to zero and you have to sit through a loading screen every time.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Judging from my SO's experience (he was extremely hype for this game; loved all the classic crash games) - trying to 100% the game is not the play on first playthrough. He's having a miserable time and it's clearly souring his opinion of the game.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, big QoL thing I can't believe they missed

The death counter should not start until you hit the first checkpoint. As it is now, you might as well restart the level entirely if you die early to reset it to zero and you have to sit through a loading screen every time.
& having to skip the cutscene if the level has one.

And considering doing a no-death run is kind of the point for one of the collectibles, feels like restarting a level should be quicker. Or hell, do a mode where all the checkpoint boxes are replaced with regular crates.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Wholeheartedly agree and you don't even get to hear Lex Lang's voice to amp the player up like he did with NST/CTRNF.

It's just as lame as Spyro Reignited's startup.

Right? And they don't even have the Crash theme to soften the blow, for some utterly inexplicable reason.

Judging from my SO's experience (he was extremely hype for this game; loved all the classic crash games) - trying to 100% the game is not the play on first playthrough. He's having a miserable time and it's clearly souring his opinion of the game.

I learned pretty quickly that even when I'm trying my hardest to hit all the crates I still never get them all. You're absolutely right IMO; getting too fixated on the gems the first time through will only result in a worse time.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
omg where is the two last crates in a real grind aaaahhhhh

They really hid some crates in some really "i could barely see that" places.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
100% wouldn't be so bad if they didn't hide crates in areas you really have to search for.

I really don't like that. The trilogy rarely did that.

Oct 27, 2017
I just %100 the 1st level in Tranquility Falls, and HOLY COW, the game is fuckin' GREAT!
Like right now, as far as I'm concerned, the ranking goes Crash 2 > Crash 4 >> Crash 3 >>>Crash 1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all the pre-2017 post-ND stuff.
Kudos to TfB, they've done a great job.
Like, Crash/Coco feel so good to control, familiar and reliable yet quite unique (the "coyote time" that they give you on that slide is N. Sane lol), and of course the level design is as tight and action-packed as it's ever been!
I just love how they brought back the atlas sphere for that chase sequence in "Hit the Road", that was such a fun and intense moment. And it was a great way to bring back one of the few fun ideas Wrath of Cortex had.
Alt-Tawna is also surprisingly fun to play as. She's basically Crash with a neat grappling hook (that somehow spins away enemies, video game logic at it's finest lol), a wall jump, but no slide. They went with the Sonic 3 & Knuckles school of how to implement multiple playables into their game and that's exactly how I like it. It adds a nice bit of variety without feeling obtrusive.
I'm playing on a base PS4 and the frame rate seems fine to me (I'm not really a snob about that sort of thing anyways). The only time it chugged or felt bad was during the cutscene for the first boss. Which sucks because...
N. Gin was great and his fight was awesome. It was really interesting fighting him so early in the game, he's usually the second to last boss in the original trilogy. You can tell that they learned all the right lessons from Crash 3's boss fights because you're constantly ducking and dodging his Guitar Hero-esque attacks while looking for little post-apocolyptic guys to spin at his speakers. It's a lot of fun.
So I don't have too many complaints about the game so far, but here's one that I can't stop thinking about. Extreme Crash nerd whinging follows; you've been warned.
And the pettiness of this complaint should tell you how good the game is.

Crash 1, 1996

1fqjhn.gif

Crash 2, 1997

22vjjf.gif

Crash 3, 1998

3azk71.gif

Crash 4, 2020

4n5j0s.gif

I realise this is a laughably trivial thing to get hung up on, but man, I don't think I've ever played a game with a more disappointing intro. The first three games (the second and third in particular, as well as CTR if we include that) had intros that got you excited; they were big, bold and exciting.

Crash 4's intro is a wet fart. Actually, scratch that, it's a just a regular fart.
Yeah, that's legitimately one of the very few disappointing things I've come across so far.
They've done such a great job at honoring the classic formula and the original trilogy as a whole and yet somehow missed the mark on this. What the hell happened there? lol
The music is weak. Not really great in prior games either with very few exceptions...
How. Fucking. DARE. YOU.
lol
The original trilogy's soundtracks are loaded with iconic bangers.
But, yes, so far Crash 4's music, while well composed, hasn't been as memorable and catchy as I'd like for it to be. It's quite Crash-like with the heavy marimba usage n' whatnot but it's got a very understated film score-esque quality to it. And, yeah, I don't think that's the best direction for a Crash game's soundtrack...especially after CTR Nitro-Fueled was hitting us with absolute bangers like this:

They really need to bring back Josh Mancel for Crash 5. And if they don't wanna pay him for a full OST for some reason just have him on as a consultant.

Last edited:

ShellFoyer

Oct 30, 2017
Late-game:
It's losing me towards the end. The bonus rooms are a lot, I don't want to spend that much time in the level getting them right, and loading in every time takes too long. Which also means the flashbacks, which I know will be some people's jam, have no appeal.
Cortex is not fun to play as. He's too slow and I don't like that he lacks a spin equivalent, which is adding to the slowness.
9-2 is split is uncleanly split between Dingo and Tawna, and the checkpoint placement is strange. The gaps are large, and then there was one that appeared close after another (unless I died too much). But that split doesn't feel like it's making for a cohesive singular level, so why not split them? That goes for other levels as well; the length is gonna make it tedious to find missing boxes, and I can't really imagine attempting time trials, assuming you have to complete the level in a single run. I did the first Tawna timeline, and replaying the Crash section was unnecessary, especially when you might already be repeating its original level. To conclude this point, some shorter levels with a higher number of them would be preferable.
Final criticism: some unpolished design, frame rate is not hot on base ps4 (the rails can be a blur sometimes)

There are a lot of fun ideas and levels though... Some choices are bringing them down in a way the simplicity of the original games wouldn't.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what are the two secret endings anyway?

I see cutscene compilations on YouTube but I don't know which two are the bonus ones.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I know nothing about crash and don't ever intend to get this game. But in curious. Is this game about "time" itself? Making the subtitle have a double meaning.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Tropy sounds like Troy Baker's Shinnok. Did he replace Burton?

Jess Harnell and Debi Deriberry were replaced as crash and coco too

Oddly enough they got Maurice lamarche back as Brio

Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who just uses the regular skin? I don't wanna to play as a chicken, just give me Crash.
I only bust them out when I go back to replay a level for 100%. They're beautifully designed, but when it comes to progressing through the main story/campaign (with the cutscenes n' all that) I simply want Crash and Coco to look like Crash and Coco.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm absolutely loving the variety on display here in terms of level art. I just made it through the Ice zone and no two levels were quite the same visually.

Also really enjoyed the boss fight in that area. In terms of the three I've played so far, they're not as creative as the fights in 2 or 3, but they're fun and well-executed.

Yeah, that's legitimately one of the very few disappointing things I've come across so far.
They've done such a great job at honoring the classic formula and the original trilogy as a whole and yet somehow missed the mark on this. What the hell happened there? lol

I get that these guys have limited time and money, so maybe it was simply a low priority and didn't make the cut. The game is absolutely packed with content, so it's not unreasonable.

It's just that... well, it's the very first impression the game gets to make, and the prior games took fantastic advantage of that. Just a short scene with some animated typography in 3D would've been lovely.

Oddly enough they got Maurice lamarche back as Brio

I was wondering who they had doing Brio. There's hints of his previous portrayal in there, but they've dialed back both the giggling and the Orson Wells impression significantly.

Last edited:

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Spent 35 trying to find all the boxes on a level, thinking I've got it perfect. Missed one.

At this rate, I'm going to have plenty of stuff to play by the time next gen rolls around.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know how much of the game you can play on PS4 once it has hit the 15GB "Data to start" point?

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
There is no way to know what levels have the color gems, right? I found the green one but I'd imagine I must have missed at least one other at this point.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

im going to agree with this.

I played for a couple of hours last night and only made it to the 6th level by taking this approach. And even then I still wasn't getting all the gems.
Going for the completionist run in this I think is going to be a real tall order. My gut feeling so far is this may be one of the few Crash games that I don't get the 100%+ in

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Spent ~10 hours with this

I'm enjoying the cutscenes a lot, to the point of wishing they'd be longer
The art-style is phenomal, the game is pretty af
Tawna is a weeb, hell yea
The new masks are great
Idk if it's because i played the original trilogy so much that i can do it blindly, but i would go so far and say this is quite a bit more challenging than the first three.
The Skins are cool.

Generally really enjoying the game, it feels and looks great, but i do have some criticisms than i hoped i'd have thus far, thankfully most if it is actually fairly minor.

The "Guest character" gameplay is a real cool breath of fresh air, buuuut, it's simply not as great as Crashs default gameplay.
Playing through a level as Dingodile in particular is great fun, but getting 100% in one of his levels just not so much.
Generally speaking, the game does a lot to disincentive completion.
Forcing you to collect all boxes TWICE once normal, once inverted isn't very fun either.
And perfect relics are a cool idea but i can already imagine them a pain in the ass to get for certain levels.

The three bosses i had were ~okay~ but i think they could have done more with it.

And, and this is an absolute pet peeve, you retain no momentum from a slide into a jump/spin, unlike the original trilogy.
It's THE crash bandicoot experience to slide jump through everything when you speedrun.

At the end of the day, these criticisms are mostly minor, and i'm enjoying it a lot.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Played through almost the entire main part of game over the course of the day, I believe I'm at the last world. I really do like parts of this game but as someone who really likes to 100% Crash titles it's been a mind-numbingly frustrating experience in parts,

I really do not believe the 1-life mechanic should've been brought back in any form, this shit sucks. It's an element me and many other people were glad was tremendously scaled back in Crash 1 in the NST release and to see it back in full force in levels that are far longer is going to just add a layer of tedium, especially with the fact that, as people have mentioned above, your death counter still goes up even before hitting a checkpoint (in Crash 1, the 1-life rule only kicks in starting with a successful checkpoint). Restart Level also feels extremely sluggish since there's a huge load every time you do it, even in Time Trial mode. I don't intend on giving up any time soon but I really question this decision.

The bonus characters are unfortunately a mixed bag for me. Dingodile is fun to play but his jump feels really finnicky and his levels have seemed long in the tooth so far, but his character has been really entertaining since it felt like they gave him something to talk about with his new life. Tawna on the other hand just feels really boring on both fronts, her grappling hook and wall jumping just don't feel satisfying because of how context-heavy and scripted they are. It also leads me to wonder if they considered just doing Nina at a point given how much those segments remind me of Twinsanity's Nina levels.

The boss fights are amazing though so far, each of them has been really satisfying and the fourth one in particular may stand to be one of my favorites in the series.

The level themes feel really nice this time around, the levels feel like they all fit a unified 'world' without just feeling like cookie cutter stamps of the same assets with slightly different geometry or times of day. It definitely feels like they managed to do something with Crash's format without distancing themselves too heavily from the originals, and the Quantum Masks give a lot of extra variety to each zone too, it almost reminds me of how Celeste would introduce and highlight new mechanics for an entire chapter. I'll still miss the warp room but they at least make it feel like an coherent linear journey.

What happened to the purple gem?? It was always the red-headed stepchild of the colored gems in Crash 2 and 3 but now it's just gone the way of the orange gem and disappeared.

I'm sure I'll have more to say later but this already feels like a lot, sometime tomorrow I'll wrap up the main story

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
The Skins should unlock after getting 6 gems in total, not per level. As it is right now, you feel like you have to complete a level 100% to be rewarded. Let's be real, simply getting through a stage is not feeling like a satisfying success in and of itself anymore, especially with unlimited lives.

If skins are unlocked based on total number of gems, you would still be incentivized to go back to older stages and try to 100% them while unlocking new stuff on the regular.

Deleted member 77016

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 4, 2020
The Skins should unlock after getting 6 gems in total, not per level. As it is right now, you feel like you have to complete a level 100% to be rewarded. Let's be real, simply getting through a stage is not feeling like a satisfying success in and of itself anymore, especially with unlimited lives.

If skins are unlocked based on total number of gems, you would still be incentivized to go back to older stages and try to 100% them while unlocking new stuff on the regular.
Ir they should act like a currency to buy skins from a menu.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Those like me who are obsessed in getting all the boxes in levels are going to have a bad time. In the snow world, in the final section of the level where

You chase Cortex with Polar

I had 50+ DEATHS because I wanted to get ALL the boxes.

Fortunately, I got the all boxes gem. Thank god.

BTW, the enhanced shadow helps A LOT in levels where camera perspective can get messy.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It's actually not as bad as it seems at first. Once you unlock the N-Verted versions of all the levels, they have an additional six gems each. You only need six total between the normal and N-Verted version of a level to unlock the skin.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Apparently you don't have to 100% a level to get the gems, you can earn three gems in the normal level then earn another three in the same level in N.Verted mode and unlock the costume that way. I think at least, I haven't unlocked N.Verted mode yet but other people said that was the case.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god it's infuriatingly hard to get all boxes. I think I'm just gonna play the game normally.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Yeah I kinda wish you spent gems to unlock skins because realistically I'm not going to be getting all 6 when I first play a level, and I won't immediately replay it to get the ones I missed. So chances are I'm never going to unlock many skins, and it won't be as enjoyable only using them while unlocking them if I go back to 100% the game.

Even if the N.Verted mode makes it easier, I still think it makes more sense and would be more enjoyable for me if we just spent the gems to unlock skins. There could still be a few locked behind challenges or whatever, sure.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I've just about beaten the game and I really do enjoy what I've played so far. I think I will try and go for 100%, though it does seem like quite a frustrating experience. With that said, there is an overall feeling that I really don't like about the game.

Compared to other platformers, like Super Mario, Rayman, or Sonic games. It feels like Crash 4 is so overly focused on challenging the player at every moment. Even something that would be a simple reward in other games, like smashing some blocks in a Mario game, can provide a source of challenge in Crash 4, with it not being uncommon to find TNTs or Nitro's intermixed into groups of boxes in order to trip the player up.

These elements aren't an issue individually, they're not overly difficult individually, but the feel of the game is one that at least for me, never really feels like it aims to reward the player, or provide any respite for pure enjoyment. In Sonic for instance, you might go down a big hill and in effect, the player has to do nothing but watch the spectacle, in Mario Odysey, you might have a segment with a T-Rex where you get to walk around and destroy everything. In these games, these mechanics are fairly frequent and offer no real source of challenge, they exist for the experiential pleasure alone.

Crash 4 doesn't feature anything like that. Every single element of the game has multiple layered sources of challenge (usually level hazards, and the challenge of collecting all of the boxes), and as a result I find that it feels overly intense. The box collection mechanic in particular means that the player always feels pressured to perform.

These mechanics also cause the levels to offer very little flexibility to how the player approaches, and plays them. There's always an incentive to collect all of the boxes you see in front of you, and even if you're not on a perfect run, it's always worth trying to pick up every single one of these and aim to get the gem for box collection. There's never a state in the game where it feels like you can play the level in the way that you want, or just for the sake of completion.

For instance, there's a segment later on in the game where you get to ride a certain vehicle, and this segment should be a really cool moment that throws back to the earlier games, but during this you're going to feel obligated to collect all of the boxes. So this fast paced gameplay segment can easily turn into something terrible, as you die over and over trying to gather every box.

If you compare this to something like the musical levels at the end of Rayman Legends, where the player is forced forward at break neck pace, it's night and day, because Rayman never asks me to complete those levels collecting absolutely every lum, I can simply do my best and enjoy the experience. Rayman's collection totals are still strict, so it's possible I get to the end and I've missed to many, but I never feel like I might as well just restart or suicide if I miss anything. That objective / reward flexibility allows the player to play the game at their own pace, whereas I feel Crash 4 overwhelms the player with difficulty, and often that detracts from intrinsic fun factor that a level or mechanic should hold.

I think the bonus levels are another good example of this, and one of the most frustrating elements of the game. In the previous games I used to see bonus levels as a respite from the challenge of the main level. They didn't cost lives, and usually they weren't too too difficult, and it usually wasn't confusing how to achieve everything in the level. But in Crash 4, it feels like these segments are designed to trip the player up. Tap the wrong ! box at the wrong time and you're going to screw yourself over. These levels feature both challenging puzzle elements, and intense mechanical demands on the player in the form of platforming accuracy. While some of the later bonus levels in the previous Crash games were like this, most of them were quite easy, and they offered an opportunity to reward the player with a tonne of more lives. That sense of reward is almost entirely gone in Crash 4 (perhaps an inadvertant consequence

I would contend that on the whole, the average player whom will never see the 100% completion badges, would get more enjoyment out of the game if they simply decided to forget the boxes, but that's difficult to do when so many of the rewards are tied to them (since they give Wumpas, meaning they occupy 4/6 of the gem slots on each level).

This difficulty is confounded by two features of the games design. 1) Levels feel quite long, longer than they are in previous Crash games, meaning that the relative punishment for missing a box or dying is significantly greater. 2) The linear level design wherein the player cannot backtrack to collect anything, means that again, the punishment for missing a single box is much greater than something like Mario Odyssey.

I feel as though if Crash wants to evolve it's formula it should think about how it evaluates the players performance and rewards the player. While the level design is generally excellent, the tasks imposed on the player can often suck the fun right out of them. I would have liked more attributes of the exist purely for their experiential value, and objectives that encourage the player to play the game in a more flexible, and fun way.

For instance, if the game never asked players to collect everything, and avoid death at the same time, that would free the player up to take more flexible routes on their 0 death runs, and encourage different playstyles between the two. Another example of a means in which to encourage flexibility would be to forgive the player for missing a certain number of boxes. I'm not saying that's how the game should be designed, but I think that Toys for Bob should think about the level objectives and how they interact with the play experience.