• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Crash's return was a huge success but now we also know Spyro was a hit https://www.resetera.com/threads/np...yro-games-combined-during-launch-month.88880/

So there's a market for these mascots, question is which should come back:

-The Rayman 3D games, and Rayman 4 by Michel Ancel!
-Jak Trilogy, Jak 4
-Banjo Duology Remake, + Banjo Threeie
-Conker's Bad Fur Day!
-Gex?!

For me, I want all of the above seeing how vibrant, lush and colorful Crash, Spyro and the Ratchet PS4 Remakes look. I'm fed up of all these bad Sonic games I want good mascot games again.

DOP5aDMVoAAJBy7.jpg

Also is Microsoft taking notice? Will VP Phil Spencer bring 3D platformers back to Xbox, is it reasonable to expect a comeback of one more Rare classic after Battletoads? My dude has been investing so much in outside studios that I'm afraid he is neglecting his own studios' past.

This is easy cash for MS, who doesn't like Conker

giphy.gif

latest

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Conker is too unique, it relies a lot in the writing and the wacky situations, without the original team it won't be as great... But Banjo could make a comeback, I think, even with a different team.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Problem with Conker is that it was a parody of what was going on in games and wider pop culture of the time. It's not a good game because of its platforming gameplay, but because of the whole package. A straight remake (which they've already done!) wouldn't bring in many new players today, and the existing fanbase isn't as big as Crash or Spyro.

A new Conker is a curious proposition, but I think most of the staff that gave it the personality it's known for are no longer with Rare.

Edit: a new Banjo makes more sense

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Conker has platformer sections, but it doesn't quite feel right to call it a platformer.

Sp3ratus

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't really call Tomba (and Tomba 2) platformers. They're more action-adventure/metroidvania hybrids. Great games though, deserving of remasters/remakes.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i always found it weird that jak and daxter only got one sequel and it was for the psp.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Conker had his comeback 2 years ago and it was free!

If you got a Microsoft Hololens that is.

Edit: Klonoa also had its chance back on Wii with a straight remake I believe.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
Problem with Conker is that it was a parody of what was going on in games and wider pop culture of the time. It's not a good game because of its platforming gameplay, but because of the whole package. A straight remake (which they've already done!) wouldn't bring in many new players today, and the existing fanbase isn't as big as Crash or Spyro.

A new Conker is a curious proposition, but I think most of the staff that gave it the personality it's known for are no longer with Rare.
Totally curious proposition, Conker was back in the day when Rare was the raunchy humor studio not Rockstar. I think Rare would make Conker do Trump shtick. I can see it so clearly, woof.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
As others said, they didn't return at all. Yeah, the remakes were succesful (mostly because of nostalgia, the games are not that good by today's standards) but that's all.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i would love a crash/spyro style remake of rayman 2. i think it would do quite well.
also i would lose my shit if they announce a crash 4 that looks and plays as good as the first 3.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Conker has platformer sections, but it doesn't quite feel right to call it a platformer.

even banjo-kazooie is a glorified minigame compilation. the platforming in the game is mostly to get to the areas where you compete in little miniquests to earn the stars. super mario odyssey works pretty similarly. rayman 2 was done with an a-b level progression and super mario 64, sunshine, the galaxy games and 3d land/world all had specific quests that resulted in the prize coming at the end of platforming obstacles for most of them.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Conker had his comeback 2 years ago and it was free!

If you got a Microsoft Hololens that is.

Edit: Klonoa also had its chance back on Wii with a straight remake I believe.

the klonoa gba games were ported to the wii u's vc too. damn shame that the klonoa games died on nintendo platforms, because the fanbase should have been there for them. maybe have one last shot and do a 1+2 collection for switch.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
But essentially Conker did come back, on the OG Xbox, and the original N64 version on Rare Replay. That is if OP is just talking about remasters. Meaning, if you have Rare Replay you can play that today on the Xbox One.

Xbox should make Conker BC and X Enhanced. That fur would look amazing!

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Conker has a sizable cult following, but it never became a big financial success for Rare. Wouldn't make as much sense as a Banjo-Kazooie remake or sequel would.

One could argue that Conker wasn't given a fair shake by being released on relatively unpopular consoles that were on their way out. ...but that's not going to matter to the number crunchers at Xbox.

Banjo-Kazooie the IP that Rare fans should campaign for first and foremost.

Edit: a new Banjo makes more sense
If they were to make a game based on Rare veterans that are still working there, Conker 2 is actually one of the ones that make the most sense.

Though I suppose a new Conker without Chris Seavor would be like a new Banjo-Kazooie without Gregg Mayles.

Last edited:

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I liked the first Jak game so i'd play a remake of that. It's not a 3D platformer, but i did my part and bought Klonoa on the Wii even though it apparently sold like garbage :(

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Klonoa. Supposedly if the Wii remake of the first game did well, Namco was going to remake the second. It didn't happen :(

Hopefully Klonoa 2 gets re-released on PSN. Namco at least did get GBA games onto Wii U VC.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Banjo is a no brainer.
A great game, popular and cute? That would make a lot of sense if Microsoft wants to serve a large audience.

Conker... that would be interesting, but basing a new game on Conker's Bad Fur Day is very, very risky.
It's much less of a platformer to begin with (and that part kinda blows), but its themes are a potential problem. Booze, money and sex as a major plot point? Yeah that could cause some issues, without even considering the parodies that they could make... it could be made like a cute Lego game, but the original had some pretty violent WW2 sequences and a giant monster made of shit.
Being faithful to CBFD is a gamble.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo is a no brainer.
A great game, popular and cute? That would make a lot of sense if Microsoft wants to serve a large audience.

Conker... that would be interesting, but basing a new game on Conker's Bad Fur Day is very, very risky.
It's much less of a platformer to begin with (and that part kinda blows), but its themes are a potential problem. Booze, money and sex as a major plot point? Yeah that could cause some issues, without even considering the parodies that they could make... it could be made like a cute Lego game, but the original had some pretty violent WW2 sequences and a giant monster made of shit.
Being faithful to CBFD is a gamble.

the problem for microsoft is that the audience they've cultivated on xbox one is likely not going to move towards cutesy platformers. they'd have to make a deal with nintendo like they did with minecraft or bk gba for it to have some sort of future.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Seeing Klonoa there... why did you go and mess with my emotions, OP?

Banjo-Kazooie makes a lot of sense to make a new exclusive game out of. It'd be funny and ironic if new Rare managed to put out a game better received and successful than Playtonic did with Yooka-Laylee.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Conker is a relic from the past, leave it at that.

the reaction to cutesy platformers is the relic from the past. conker's bad fur day was a play on one of the biggest, most saturated genres of its era. if microsoft had been clever with the franchise, it could have become their satire brand, where each game was a take on the major genre of that generation. conker on xbox was so out of place because there really weren't any popular 3d platformers except mario, ratchet, and jak, and two of them had already adopted some of that edgy stuff, with ratchet being tongue and cheek, and jak being hilariously serious and grim. conker should have been a sandbox game in the ps2 era, a fps in the 360 era, and a cinematic movie-game in the current era.

alternatively, conker could have continued to be a reflection on platformers. a sequel during the ps2 era could have been a play on how its edginess had been absorbed by other games of the day. a sequel during the 360 era could have pointed out that the genre was dead and that conker had to try different things to become popular. a modern one would take shots at the idea of remakes and nostalgia.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know if Conker would ever work in a new game. Even Chris Seavor said he's really just not interested in making a new Conker.

He made this game called Rusty Pup though which is definitely worth checking out.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Man, imagine if...

Klonoa was picked as one of the DLC Smash fighters.

They announce a port of the Wii remake in the reveal trailer, or *gasp* a brand new Switch-exclusive game.

Finally release that Klonoa movie or show a sneak peek around the time of his debut in Smash.

Instant IP revival.

(But who am I kidding? Namco is far too busy milking their licensed anime games to care about one of its own obscure IPs.)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
the problem for microsoft is that the audience they've cultivated on xbox one is likely not going to move towards cutesy platformers. they'd have to make a deal with nintendo like they did with minecraft or bk gba for it to have some sort of future.

Nah, they're gonna be selling a streaming service soon, so what ever audience that has an Xbox console is not the only metric that's relevant. They're gonna try to appeal to a much wider audience than that.

The bigger problem is that a few success stories aside, 3D platformers aren't that big a genre these days, which I've always found a little strange, considering the amount of collectables in modern (especially open world) games. You'd think they'd be a natural fit, but maybe they don't lend themselves as well to the service game template or perhaps they just haven't been given a proper chance, aside from a few Nintendo games.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Quite a few members of the Conker team are still at Rare, including animator/voice actress Louise O'Connor and co-writer/composer Robin Beanland. They have a history of working with Chris Seavor on Conker stuff since he left Rare as well, so maybe something could work out for Conker.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The boss at Rare says he doesn't want to use old IP's unless it's a completely paradigm shifting idea.

So basically if they can't totally change things up in a Nuts & Bolts way they're not interested in revisiting old franchises.

But they are open to letting other studios take a crack at their IP's if it makes sense.

Only issue is I don't know who would be the right fit to make a new Conker or Banjo like the old ones anymore.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Bring back Tomba and Klanoa and Banjo.

Leave Croc in the trash where he's always belonged.

happynaut

Jan 22, 2018
After they take care of Battletoads, I hope they see that those old IPs are still very loved by the community and will turn into a revival of Banjo,

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But essentially Conker did come back, on the OG Xbox, and the original N64 version on Rare Replay. That is if OP is just talking about remasters. Meaning, if you have Rare Replay you can play that today on the Xbox One.

Xbox should make Conker BC and X Enhanced. That fur would look amazing!
OG Xbox's Conquer is BC and X Enhanced since a few months, and yes, the fur looks amazing :)

Some screenshots here :
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...-orta-jade-empire-and-more.35341/post-6888532

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if Conker would ever work in a new game. Even Chris Seavor said he's really just not interested in making a new Conker.
He made this game called Rusty Pup though which is definitely worth checking out.

He's open to the idea of doing a spiritual successor but said it likely wouldn't be a 3d platformer. I guess not having the conker ip or man power to make such a title takes the wind out of his sail. If Microsoft gave the green light and asked him to be lead and bring a team together I could see him doing it. He's mentioned conker 2 already being planned out, although it would likely need to be updated a bit by now.

jackissocool

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
The ball's really in Sony's court. They have SO MANY unused platformer IPs. That's why they're bringing back MediEvil, after all. I think their best bet is to get Sanzaru back on the phone to make Sly Cooper 5. They did a great job with Sly 4 and were responsible for the Year of the Dragon remake in the Spyro collection. I feel like that would perform better than any of their other unused platformers.

I can't wait for the next Ratchet and Clank, too. The PS4 remake was Insomniac's most successful game yet until Spider-Man, and that is gonna be the most successful game Sony's ever published. I hope they really pull out all the stops. I'm not sure if we should expect it next year or as a PS5 launch title.
Sly 5

Finish the fight Sucker Punch you fucking cowards
No, it's up to Sanzaru. I wouldn't be surprised if they're already in talks or even started sometime in the past year.