• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Super Mario 64 remake

• Day -1

Votes: 114 37.4%
  • We already have Odyssey

Votes: 60 19.7%
  • Give my Galaxy HD instead

Votes: 91 29.8%
  • I'm a weirdo, I want Sunshine

Votes: 40 13.1%

• Total voters

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Being such a highly regarded game why is it still stuck on N64? The NDS version is just a weird alternate version with added contents but not much improvements. In fact I consider it bad for the single fact that you had to play it with a dpad.

A remake with upgraded controls, better graphics (I actually like the low poly but many people don't) and some bonus content, it would definitely sell. It really doesn't need much changes. The original is already an excellent game but it needs to be on modern platforms.

Do you think i's coming down the line or Odyssey makes it redundant?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I swear I read this at first as "Crash and Spyro make out, where is Super Mario?"

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I would be there day one for a remake on Switch, but we did get one stage mostly remade in SMG2 if I recall correctly. When the redone jazzy sounding theme started, I grinned ear to ear.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't happen.
Replay it and you will see how outdated many designs are.
You would need to rebuild the entire game

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
I would love a Mario 64 remake, sure, but please nintendo give me Galaxy 1 and 2 HD please my family is dying nintendo

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I like the DS version a lot.

Running with the Y button in 3D... Super Mario 3D World in 2006!

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm not convinced it needs a remake. The framerate is solid, controls are great considering 3D was new at the time. The only big thing that could be fixed is the camera.

Now Zelda:OoT and Majora's Mask? I'm 100% all for a remake.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the DS remake, it's not happening. Nintendo prefers to keep their backlog in its original form with a few exceptions, but Mario 64 has become iconic enough in its original look that a re-release that retains that look holds as much appeal as a straight remake.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there are other games that could really use a remake over Mario 64 which basically is already perfect.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The DS version better lowkey. Got more shit plus better graphics.

Yall dont like it cause the Dpad but its still good, dpad be damned.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the others mentioned in the title have no current gen new games.

whatever resources would go to a SM64 Remake of that caliber already went to Odyssey.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Won't happen.
Replay it and you will see how outdated many designs are.
You would need to rebuild the entire game

I've replayed it, and honestly, it still holds up just fine. The camera is wonky but the mission based level design in small compact worlds is not outdated. Granted a few of those missions can be a bit tedious (collecting 100 coins) but the game can be beat without ever touching them.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
It's distributed across every major 3D Mario game since Galaxy 2. Please look forward to Bob-Omb Battlefield World in Mario Odyssey 2.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Where is Super Mario 64 remake?

In a Parallel Universe, PU-14426572356 on the Nintendo 64.

But first, we need to talk about Parallel Universe...

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really want one, the worlds are a bit generic now compared to Mario Odyssey. Mario Sunshine would be an interesting remake, they could improve by adding a better final world rather than a boat ride, and they could have a new ultimate level for collecting 120 shines, rather than just a photo or T shirt. Redesigned cutscenes that were more humourous and they could say the Defininos were being hypnotised by the paint, into turning on Mario. :D

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not rocket science. mario, unlike crash and spyro, wasn't good for just one generation and then fade into obscurity and irrelevancy. it got new good (sometimes amazing) games all along and is not in need of a remake of that specific game.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
First things first. We need to get Mario 3D World port first, after that Galaxy HD trilogy. Maybe we could get a full SM64 remake after all that.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
I said this many times before and I'll say it one more time: Mario 64 needs a Sequel akin to LttP»Link Between Worlds more than just a remake with some additions.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
It doesn't need a remake, it still holds up
Correct.

We're still talking about how Super Mario 64 released in 1997 still blowing minds.

XBxWRR7.png

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's right here! =^)

That's one of the few good Unreal Nintendo fanworks I've seen in a long while outside of that Metroid Prime one. They didn't go overboard with the effects, the lighting is simple, the artwork is coherent and consistent, it's just good. (Of course, I'm well aware that it's reusing Mario Odyssey assets, but I'll give them credit for not going overboard like those Ocarina of Time Unreal fanworks, ugh)

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I never saw a problem with 64DS; in fact, the very first time I had the opportunity to finish the game was with that version (I never owned a N64 growing up, but I played a lot of SM64 in neighbors/friends houses) and I loved it. Actually, my experience playing 3D games with a D-Pad was thanks to Crash.