• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if they saying it looks cool or good, thats research. You dont necessarily NEED input. Fashion doesn't exists in a vacuum

edit: The problem with this companies design is that they designed it as, "Women will prefer this" or "This was designed specifically for women" instead of "This was designed with women in mind" Lacks creativity and only feels like the company is aiming for a design that "classifies women"

Your right fashion doesn't exist in a vacuum... which is why it's possible to get input without directly correspondence with the target demo.

To suggest that you can bring a product to market without any input whatsoever suggests that a designer could operate in a vacuum.

But that's all besides the point really. This company doesn't design fashion. They slap esports logos on athletic wear. In this case, they are marketing the fact that they now slap esports logos on generic women's tennis outfits - and claim it's a gesture to benefit women in esports who receive "backlash" and apparently need a "new identity". The only way to come to such a conclusion that this garment will serve this purpose, is to live in a vaccum.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
lol what the fuck is this shit

Who thought a cheerleader / tennis dress would be ideal for gamers?
OifBdy24_400x400.jpg
En5TrLA.gif

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Looking on the website, I am gathering that this is their first clothing item for women and girls. Why not start with shirts and hoodies sized for women and girls first?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
If I ever want to own an esports team (who knows, maybe I'll shit money one day) there's a tailor in Milan near my university that makes sweet replicas of uniforms of historic soccer teams and modern versions like

brooklyn-1.jpg
cccp3.jpg
laccetti.jpg

that's one hell of a classy sport look. I might just ask for a quote for my IT team at some point and I'm pretty sure each of them aren't much more expensive than that gaudy dress.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious. Someone on twitter mentioned it looks like a gaming chair and I cant unsee it.

D0p8l14VAAIRYLD.jpg

ms-color-selector-red.jpg

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looking on the website, I am gathering that this is their first clothing item for women and girls. Why not start with shirts and hoodies sized for women and girls first?

So you can spend more money for something that fits (and is skirt)

If I ever want to own an esports team (who knows, maybe I'll shit money one day) there's a tailor in Milan near my university that makes sweet replicas of uniforms of historic soccer teams and modern versions like

brooklyn-1.jpg
cccp3.jpg
laccetti.jpg

that's one hell of a classy sport look. I might just ask for a quote for my IT team at some point and I'm pretty sure each of them aren't much more expensive than that gaudy dress.

Don't you know anything about gamer fashion?? It's gotta look like Blade Runner met FIRE AND LASERS

Cyberpower-Gamer-Master-GMA2600W-Gaming-Desktop-PC-AMD-Ryzen-5-Processor-8GB-Ram-1TB-HDD.jpeg

gaming-chair-with-footrest-300x300.jpg

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
As someone from the UK, when I see that "dress" I see a cheerleader outfit...

I don't get it, just make a female/male cut of t shirts/shirts/hoodies/jackets.

Jogging bottoms/shorts for leggings and done. Simple.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was looking to buy this dress as a gift, but I can't even seem to find it in their store. Is it actually available for sale?

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your right fashion doesn't exist in a vacuum... which is why it's possible to get input without directly correspondence with the target demo.

To suggest that you can bring a product to market without any input whatsoever suggests that a designer could operate in a vacuum.

But that's all besides the point really. This company doesn't design fashion. They slap esports logos on athletic wear. In this case, they are marketing the fact that they now slap esports logos on generic women's tennis outfits - and claim it's a gesture to benefit women in esports who receive "backlash" and apparently need a "new identity". The only way to come to such a conclusion that this garment will serve this purpose, is to live in a vaccum.
I guess if you make your argument about the company, I was speaking in general about fashion. A lot of you guys speak on things you have no idea about and its confusing to discuss.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
As someone from the UK, when I see that "dress" I see a cheerleader outfit...

I don't get it, just make a female/male cut of t shirts/shirts/hoodies/jackets.

Jogging bottoms/shorts for leggings and done. Simple.
A lot of game-branded clothing is exactly that. Just gaming t-shirts cut for women, which is totally fine.

I feel like these guys meant well but went in the wrong direction for this.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you make your argument about the company, I was speaking in general about fashion. A lot of you guys speak on things you have no idea about and its confusing to discuss.

What the hell else would the argument be about? Are we not here discussing this particular company?

"General fashion design" really has little to do with this discussion - this company doesn't do fashion design. They customize athletic gear. The dress is just a generic template they threw an "esport-ish" pattern on.

This entirely about positioning a product for a niche market & marketing the product without doing the slightest bit market research.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They could have sold gangbusters just making tees and hoodies in female sizes.

Instead they went with race queen microdresses.

This is as gaming culture as you could possibly get.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they even respond with "unfortunately no"? What reaction could they have hoped to Garner?

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell else would the argument be about? Are we not here discussing this particular company?

"General fashion design" really has little to do with this discussion - this company doesn't do fashion design. They customize athletic gear. The dress is just a generic template they threw an "esport-ish" pattern on.

This entirely about positioning a product for a niche market & marketing the product without doing the slightest bit market research.
Me and the other guy were talking about general fashion and mens capability to design womens clothing without input. You jumped in on something without reading the context. We werent even arguing just putting that idea out there. TF wrong with yall on here.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Me and the other guy were talking about general fashion and mens capability to design womens clothing without input. You jumped in on something without reading the context. We werent even arguing just putting that idea out there. TF wrong with yall on here.

The guy you were responding to was making his comment about the topic at hand. You weren't "just putting it out there" you were reframing the commentary here as if males designing female fashion is actually a prominent issue for people in this thread. I don't think it's a secret that male designers are some of the heaviest hitters in the female fashion industry.
Who is saying men can't design women's clothing? The general sentiment is that men shouldn't aim a product at a female demo w/o first figuring out what that demo actually wants/needs- especially if they are going to claim that they are giving the demo a "new identity"

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The guy you were responding to was making his comment about the topic at hand. You weren't "just putting it out there" you were reframing the commentary here as if males designing female fashion is actually a prominent issue for people in this thread.

Who is saying men can't design women's clothing? The general sentiment is that men shouldn't aim a product at a female demo w/o first figuring out what that demo actually wants/needs- especially if they are going to claim that they are giving the demo a "new identity"
Actually I was and I stated many times how this company is wrong for what they did. Maybe I misread what that guy was saying but i was putting it out there in agreeing to what he said because it sounded like people were having a misconception if not then my bad but thats how I read it. The worse thing about making a post on any relative issue like this is if you aren't posting the same thing as everyone else you're arguing against whats right which was not my intentions. Again, I was speaking from a general fashion design stand point not creating womens apparel for E Sports. I hope this helps clear things up.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we acting like the men's designs are haute couture or something? Go and take a look at what they have on the site. The male designs are only slightly less ugly than that. Even the hoodie is ugly. You know how hard it is to screw up a hoodie?

It's esports apparel. I think they're supposed to be ugly/tacky by design.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Are we acting like the men's designs are haute couture or something? Go and take a look at what they have on the site. The male designs are only slightly less ugly than that. Even the hoodie is ugly. You know how hard it is to screw up a hoodie?

It's esports apparel. I think they're supposed to be ugly/tacky by design.
The men's designs have nothing to do with it really.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
User Warned: thread whining
Is this an in game item for a yet to be released game?

Can we start to show more restraint when posting to these boards? Surely this belongs in one of the other forums?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ.....how do you not have someone from your intended demographic on the design team?

It's 101 man.

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
I'm not big on esports, but if I was and bought this, I wouldn't even know when to wear it. I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes. Like, if I'm sitting at home watching streams, and want to show my support for my teams, I'd just wear something comfortable. Nobody is so into something that they're going to put on a fucking dress while they watch someone get wobbled or whatever. And, when I do actually want to wear a dress, it's not really at a time where I want to show off my esport cred. Hell, if I really wanted an ugly, gaudy dress I'd just take a look at forever 21's clearance section. It would probably be much cheaper too.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big on esports, but if I was and bought this, I wouldn't even know when to wear it. I'm just trying to put myself in their shoes. Like, if I'm sitting at home watching streams, and want to show my support for my teams, I'd just wear something comfortable. Nobody is so into something that they're going to put on a fucking dress while they watch someone get wobbled or whatever. And, when I do actually want to wear a dress, it's not really at a time where I want to show off my esport cred. Hell, if I really wanted an ugly, gaudy dress I'd just take a look at forever 21's clearance section. It would probably be much cheaper too.
i wanna get wobbled

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I really struggle with how they thought this was going to be a good idea. Even just looking at people who are out and about, how many people wear tennis dresses casually?

Just do a standard jersey, tee, hoodie, sweat, whatever. Just not this disastrous choice.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Its stupid they didn't get input. But before people get on their high horse....people realize that it's not exactly uncommon to have no input from women on this stuff, right? (again, I agree its dumb) I mean Versace was founded by a guy...
People really don't know that designers don't work by straight up dreaming about stuff? Come on. It's 2019. People should be used to the term "market research" by now.

Oct 30, 2017
As revolting as the dress is (it sounds itchy as FUCK too) the more I think about it the more I'm actually impressed that it doesn't have a boob window or something. They at least managed that. I just assumed it would when I read the headline. Y'know, because dudes.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
As revolting as the dress is (it sounds itchy as FUCK too) the more I think about it the more I'm actually impressed that it doesn't have a boob window or something. They at least managed that. I just assumed it would when I read the headline. Y'know, because dudes.
I hate to tell you this but..
I hadn't noticed that it also has a 'cleavage zipper' which makes it more of a trainwreck.

DessieDoo

Jan 17, 2018
I'm not super knowledgeable about the world of high fashion, but I've been under the impression that there are a lot of male designers of womens' clothing, and that someone like, say, Alexander McQueen could design a dress and have it made without bothering to consult women, and it's nothing anyone bats an eye over. Am I under a false impression?

I'm a woman and I'd wear that dress if I had the body to pull it off. The insulting bit here is the corporate "activism." Even when corporations are choosing the right side of an issue, it's always just a cynical ploy for money, and I can't consider them allies.

Like the dress though, and don't care if women weren't consulted. I can see why a lot of women don't like it, but there are men fully capable of designing dresses many women have no complaint with.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Why should they get a pass? This is ill-designed and ill-considered. It's short (not great for sitting anywhere and playing), made of shitty polyester, and looks more designed for the male gaze than for comfort. It also lacks the one thing women most want in a dress (that isn't meant to be high fashion): POCKETS.

seriously, ask any of us. we want pockets.
Not that this makes the whole thing any less ridiculous, but apparently it does have pockets