• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
he pretty much admits he was thinking of cheerleaders with this

exDRnkD.png

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Apart from tweet telling people not to be offended, I don't see what's wrong with the dress. Nobody is forcing anyone to wear this, some people might like it depending on taste. An experienced clothes designer can design a good outfit no matter if it's for men or women.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018
I like the colors, but I don't like it overall. I'd not wear it myself anyway though. I think that the COO could have said what he wanted to say a lot nicer though, seems unnecessary what he did, as that seemingly got people more angry than the design itself, which just got a bit of fair criticism from some folks.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
And even with "functional" designs that allow freedom of movement, moisture wicking, etc., the tennis dress is an archaic concept, mostly used because old people think women have to wear dresses when they play sports. It's dumb, and let's not pretend (not you; others) that it hasn't been controversial or pushed back on - it has, and by some of the stars of the field. As for this gaming dress - what are you gonna do here, sit around with your legs primly crossed? Guess you need shorts under it.

I agree, that it's problematic, even for tennis, which makes it even more baffling a choice for gaming.

It's a tennis dress and has no reason to be presented as a "gaming dress" designed to give women in gaming a "new identity".

I can't even understand what he's trying to say here...

It's like some sort of reverse-reasoning. First they decided to make a dress. Then they researched who wears dresses. When their research determined that dresses are overlywhelmingly worn by women, then decided to market their new product to gaming women.

Then since gaming is a sport and an event, they went for a cheerleader/ballroom angle.

Last edited:

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive behaviour in a sensitive discussion
Honestly outrage culture is getting ridiculous. Its a dress, its hardly offensive. I don't see anyone else trying to give female gamers options (unless i'm wrong). This all just seems a little misguided and not thought through with the intention of trying to do something good. The tweets by the COO don't help them though.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly outrage culture is getting ridiculous. Its a dress, its hardly offensive. I don't see anyone else trying to give female gamers options (unless i'm wrong). This all just seems a little misguided and not thought through with the intention of trying to do something good. The tweets by the COO don't help them though.

The only outraged people in this story is the COO. People hav been answering with input to the main twitter channel and the dude behind it seems to be taking it as a learning experience.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
People saying the company's response was good need to read the whole Twitter thread. Even without the COO stuff, after their apology a youtuber said he wanted one to rock it himself and the company replied he should definitely buy it and give it to one of the Gamer Girls in his life.....

Nov 23, 2017

Don't forget to tell us who you really are talking about here and how you really feel.

stoopid sjws on twitter and reddit right guys????

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If this was one item in a line of women's clothing that included women's cut jerseys and t shirts I don't think people would have much problem with it.

But basically the ad is saying you're a girl, put this dress on. You're welcome.

DJKippling

Nov 1, 2017
Don't forget to tell us who you really are talking about here and how you really feel.

stoopid sjws on twitter and reddit right guys????

You're taking my comment out of context. there are a lot of things to be outraged about and rightly so, a dress is not one of them in my opinion.

Please don't make ridiculous presumptions you can't backup.

Last edited:

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
That dress embodies so many stylistic choices I hate about GAMER branded electronics and such.

And lol if their first step wasn't just adding ladies cuts in their jerseys. C'mon.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even if you pretended that it was supposed to be like tennis and not cheer, don't they have to sit down facing a camera the whole time??

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive behaviour in a sensitive discussion
The only outraged people in this story is the COO. People hav been answering with input to the main twitter channel and the dude behind it seems to be taking it as a learning experience.
I dunno. Seems like people posting in this thread are pretty outraged. It's a piece of clothes. I totally agree with the tweet that says don't buy it if you don't like it, although I don't think it ever needed to be said in the first place. If women don't actually like it, it won't sell and they'll scrap the design.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. Seems like people posting in this thread are pretty outraged. It's a piece of clothes. I totally agree with the tweet that says don't buy it if you don't like it, although I don't think it ever needed to be said in the first place. If women don't actually like it, it won't sell and they'll scrap the design.
Point to one instance of someone being outraged in this thread. Please. And no, someone saying, "lol this is stupid" is not exemplary of outrage, as much as a certain group of people like to frame it as such.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are we not allowed to just rag on this dumb company?

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I'd actually wear this if it didn't have the skull and the gamertag on it. Dig the form and colour scheme, Good job dude designers!

I think this is more of the template design, where you submit your own custom symbol and name, and they bake it for you.

None of this company's employees are the actual fashion designers, they just create visual designs, which means that they just add colors/patterns/logos to someone's else outfit design. They don't even have any custom-sewed clothing...

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
You're taking my comment out of context. there are a lot of things to be outraged about and rightly so, a dress is not one of them in my opinion.

Please don't make ridiculous presumptions you can't backup.
Then don't use terms like outrage culture like it's an actual thing lol

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think this is more of the template design, where you submit your own custom symbol and name, and they bake it for you.

None of this company's employees are the actual fashion designers, they just create visual designs, which means that they just add colors/patterns/logos to someone's else outfit design. They don't even have any custom-sewed clothing...

Well shit, that's a bit of a shame. But hey, for a boiler-plate template, it's not bad, could probabl buy something similar for cheaper elsewhere then.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
"Ladies, stay strong! This is what we, all males, think YOU should wear!"

Yyyeeeeahhh.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
Point to one instance of someone being outraged in this thread. Please. And no, someone saying, "lol this is stupid" is not exemplary of outrage, as much as a certain group of people like to frame it as such.
If the threadmarked tweet is considered outrage, then plenty of posts from the first page come off as outrage to me. And yes, you're allowed to rag on the company if you want, but it doesn't actually mean that they did anything wrong or made a bad design.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like the design on the dress but I wouldn't use that if I was making womens e sports clothes. Its supposed to be like sports so the jersey or whatever should just be unisex. Personally would've went for motocross FOX type of longsleeve jersey. If you really wanted to make it looks women then make it long and turn it into a dress. That said, E-Sports really dont need to have skirts or dresses though. Its not like tennis where they need the flexibility.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

XPJs3zW.png

Oct 27, 2017

King Asylum: "We're going to redefine females in eSports!"
Women in eSports: "Eh, OK... Can we give you some insig..."
King Asylum: "NO! *We* redefine *you*. And. You. Will. Like. It."

Tell us more how you feel about these "females", please.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
What's with everyone shitting on cheerleaders in this thread acting as if they are only there for male entertainment? They are athletes and likely could outperform the majority of you. It's ironic considering most of you are "sticking up for women".

Anywho, to the topic at hand... Like any other piece of clothing, if you don't like the style, don't buy it, much like the COO of whatever said. It looks (as many have said before) like any other athletic wear dress in the same style as other esports jerseys. I don't see the problem. I'm pretty sure the point they were trying to make by "new identity for female gamers" is that they don't have to wear the same shit as the guys, they have options now. Not "you must wear a dress because you're female".

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Please do correct me with what it is then? I've read the term in news articles and such all over the place.

It's really a term used to deflect legitimate criticism away from outrageous people/actions and throw it back at those doing the critique.

Are there some people who get upset about things that arent rationally upsetting? Sure! But that's not a cultural phenomenon.

What is a cultural phenomenon is how many valid sentiments that have been historically suppressed, are now more often being voiced openly

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I shouldn't be surprised but I'm really dumbstruck by this. How the hell does one go about designing clothing for women without ever thinking to consult women on it?

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit, that's a bit of a shame. But hey, for a boiler-plate template, it's not bad, could probabl buy something similar for cheaper elsewhere then.

The item itself, yes, definitely. However, their items seem to be full sublimation (logos, red and black elements are the same white fabric, not like expensive basketball tops with different color stripes and elements being sewed together.)

Custom printing of nameplate/logos/flags might cost you more than $50 (depending on where you live). What these Cranium folks do, is they print the entire design on paper, then hot-press the paint from the paper to the fabric. It remains to be seen whether these dresses are better than the $20 aliexpress items.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why should they get a pass? This is ill-designed and ill-considered. It's short (not great for sitting anywhere and playing), made of shitty polyester, and looks more designed for the male gaze than for comfort. It also lacks the one thing women most want in a dress (that isn't meant to be high fashion): POCKETS.

seriously, ask any of us. we want pockets.
Because they were called out and went "our bad, please give us ideas!"

Like, isn't that the end goal?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I shouldn't be surprised but I'm really dumbstruck by this. How the hell does one go about designing clothing for women without ever thinking to consult women on it?

In this case I suspect they don't actually design anything.

They just stick logos on generic clothing and sell it as gamer gear.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
What's with everyone shitting on cheerleaders in this thread acting as if they are only there for male entertainment? They are athletes and likely could outperform the majority of you. It's ironic considering most of you are "sticking up for women".

cheerleaders have been sex symbols in popular culture for the longest time , nobody is disputing their physical athleticism.