• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Power of the Cloud.
Jesus.

It's really an achievement that they got that working as smoothly as it is. I totally expected it to look weird or laggy or be broken in some way but the physics really just work.
Even on a PC which probably on a high-end CPU would be able to do these calculations, you get the benefit of fluid FPS even if there is tons of destruction going on.

klaus

Oct 28, 2017
More FPS (60 on X!)
More friends (no parties no party)
More maps
More modes
More sessions dammit

GIVE
ME
MOAR

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I sadly missed this morning's test, I just couldn't wake up that early, but I'll be there on Sunday.

Power of the Cloud.
Jesus.

Yup, the cloud just works, and it can be a sight to behold, amazing tech. Now that we've experienced it first hand, I wonder how many people (and how many reviewers) will have the audacity to stil pull the "it's unimpressive" card.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Lol I feel you, I played exactly one match and I almost got in trouble for missing an appointment. The wait for the 15 is going to be a long one

I'm a real loser, I was recording a podcast during the test, then saw zedox was streaming Crackdown so I launched insider app to dl the game without bothering to do any search on playtime.

Finally launch the game : Et voilàààà, nothing.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
i mean, it was definitely more granular destruction. that totally could be because the direction they went to actually build the game - for example, making it so structures are easily destroyable eliminated the need to create tiny holes to snipe through - but it could also be because they had to scale back the destruction to make it work. we'll never know.

the large scale stuff looks quite similar though, i'll give you that
From the information they gave us I believe it was for design reasons.

They said a huge hurdle of the development was making a good game with the destruction tech, because there are many balancing and design considerations that changes when everything can be brought down.

They also said in 2015 the amount of processing power the game could use on the cloud was an point of concern, but now Azure expanded so much that the amount of resources the game can possibly use are not an issue.

If there's any technical reason, it's probably on the local side, since the simulation runs partially on the cloud and partially local perhaps they couldn't get the performance to have such granularity, which increases the number of objects that are processed.

But, all the changes make a lot of sense looking at a design standpoint. They made the buildings less busy to look at, more surreal and simpler structured but with more gamey designs than real buildings.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So in the official Crackdown Discord server, it's been confirmed that even for retail release that parties will arent supported. *Sigh*
I'm gonna keep playing MP for shits and giggles but it won't get as much play for me as I like to play with the guys from xbox era discord. Klobrille we can only play coop now. :(
Puh. This sucks. I hope it is at least coming later ...

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Here's a PC vid I recorded

I did fall through the floor at one point if you're wondering what's going on there.

That looks a lot of fun imo, definitely looks like something you can jump in and play for a couple of hours, think the cloud stuff will go down well with Streamers especially.

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
The have such a good foundation that could be used for so much. I haven't played but are there, heroes, skills, abilities?

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I am not a multiplayer kinda guy but tbh this looks like something i would enjoy. The artstyle is the only thing not working for me. It looks off and i dont know where.
But destruction is impressive esp with what Zedox posted. Really nice!

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
The have such a good foundation that could be used for so much. I haven't played but are there, heroes, skills, abilities?
AFAIK there are only loadouts and then every agent has the same abilities.

And I'm glad about that. Not every MP game has to be a hero shooter. I like my even playing fields and loadouts are already enough of a diversion from that.

This seems like a great pick up and play mode, with potential for lots of depth and cool new modes.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What..... No parties in the full release? That's incredibly disappointing. There goes the last chance for a niche multiplayer community if you can't even party up with friends.

It'd be hard to argue against Wrecking Zone being tacked on just to appease early promises of destruction.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
What..... No parties in the full release? That's incredibly disappointing. There goes the last chance for a niche multiplayer community if you can't even party up with friends.

It'd be hard to argue against Wrecking Zone being tacked on just to appease early promises of destruction.

It would be hard to argue for it. The multiplayer portion has been the focus since the game's reveal, and they said straight away that destruction would only be available in the PvP mode.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would be hard to argue for it. The multiplayer portion has been the focus since the game's reveal, and they said straight away that destruction would only be available in the PvP mode.
I'm not suggesting destruction wasn't always only going to be part of pvp. I'm saying that it would be easy to assume this mode was kept only to keep those early promises, regardless if that narrative is true or not. People will continue saying it feels tacked on and that it should've been scrapped, unfortunately, and it'll be hard to argue against that considering how barebones and featureless it is.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

I did fall through the floor at one point if you're wondering what's going on there.

I see the same complete framedrops or lagspikes in your footage. Is this in-game or because of the recording? (At 2:30).

Performance was very smooth for me, besides those kind of hiccups.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the test although I sucked royally.

The physics worked smoothly and I wouldn't have said that the server based nature was in any way noticeable.

Playing on One X and the game was smooth and sharp.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had some fun rounds yesterday, and it looks like i will have some fun with it. But i can't say i blown away about the destruction after all the hype and "Powe of the Cloud". I mean we should need to do this without Cloud tech and the buildings are also empty. It's fun but i'm not blown away about it.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

Looks great!

Would love them to do a bunch of different types of maps with this kind of destruction. Jungle, Deserts,... They probably will stick with "neon-cities" but there is so much potential. Imagine they also did fluid physics.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Something about the destruction I've seen just looks off. I can't really describe it but I guess it lacks... oomph? Like I recently played Red Factuon again and even looking at gameplay there's a lot of ancillary systems at work to make the destruction feel impactful.

Right now it seems less like knocking over tower behemoth structures and more like knocking over a house of cards. The technology is still pretty incredible given the scale of it all. Hopefully it plays a lot better than it looks but I'm still pretty reserved on this.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Is there actually any meaningful cloud computing powering this game? Or could they never get it to work?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Something about the destruction I've seen just looks off. I can't really describe it but I guess it lacks... oomph? Like I recently played Red Factuon again and even looking at gameplay there's a lot of ancillary systems at work to make the destruction feel impactful.

Right now it seems less like knocking over tower behemoth structures and more like knocking over a house of cards. The technology is still pretty incredible given the scale of it all. Hopefully it plays a lot better than it looks but I'm still pretty reserved on this.

While I had the same feeling before playing the test, in-game it feels better than on video in my opinion. After watching the previews I could see why Ryan McCaffrey talked about it feeling like styrofoam. But in-game you don't really feel that way because of the sound effects and the pace everything is happening in.

I also think it would feel less like cardboard if it had a more realistic artstyle.

Is there actually any meaningful cloud computing powering this game? Or could they never get it to work?

Look at the clips in this topic. All the destruction is handled by the cloud and doesn't impact the fps at all. I didn't have any (or any meaningful) framedrops when complete towers fell down. It's quite impressive (Not as impressive as the Gamescom demo, we know, we know)

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
While I had the same feeling before playing the test, in-game it feels better than on video in my opinion. After watching the previews I could see why Ryan McCaffrey talked about it feeling like styrofoam. But in-game you don't really feel that way because of the sound effects and the pace everything is happening in.

I also think it would feel less like cardboard if it had a more realistic artstyle.

Ok that's a bit relieving. I'm still cautiously optimistic for it.

And yeah the really plain simulation style visuals probably don't help but I can't see why they went with that. I'm sure it's perfomance related and they did the best they could for a tron-Esque graphical style for the mode.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Alright, my worries for this gamemode and the destruction are completely gone. But the testing session has given me a complete new sets of complaints.
There seems to be a shocking lack of quality of life features, as far as we know.

Now, it was just a stress test, so I don't know if these features will be there at launch. But knowing there won't be party support doesn't make me optimistic.

It's a shame really, because the gameplay mode I played was really fun and the destruction works. But a 2019 multiplayer platformer/shooter needs features like progression, ranked matchmaking, balanced matchmaking, party support, private matches and global leaderboards. How can you release a multiplayer game without those?

Now, maybe most of these things are actually in the game. But it would make or break the multiplayer experience for me.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
As a techy, I wou

Look at the clips in this topic. All the destruction is handled by the cloud and doesn't impact the fps at all. I didn't have any (or any meaningful) framedrops when complete towers fell down. It's quite impressive (Not as impressive as the Gamescom demo, we know, we know)
Only a matter of time before two people in the same game, compare videos to see if the destruction is really 100% cloud server based.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Alright, my worries for this gamemode and the destruction are completely gone. But the testing session has given me a complete new sets of complaints.
There seems to be a shocking lack of quality of life features, as far as we know.

Now, it was just a stress test, so I don't know if these features will be there at launch. But knowing there won't be party support doesn't make me optimistic.

It's a shame really, because the gameplay mode I played was really fun and the destruction works. But a 2019 multiplayer platformer/shooter needs features like progression, ranked matchmaking, balanced matchmaking, party support, private matches and global leaderboards. How can you release a multiplayer game without those?

Now, maybe most of these things are actually in the game. But it would make or break the multiplayer experience for me.
The full game has progression, unlocks, experience gain etc. At least you can see that in preview videos and Joe stated "hundreds" of unlockables in an interview.

Ranked gets pretty much never released for a new game at launch because the studios want people to learn their games first. So this seems fine.

Agreed on party matchmaking though.

The framework seems great. They nailed the gameplay. The other things hopefully can evolve with some post-launch support.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Had a really good time playing this last night. I'm mostly excited for the Crackdown 3 campaign and this at least made me super excited for that based on how it feels (it, basically, feels like Crackdown which is great. They definitely *get it*). Pleasantly pleased with how much fun I had over the couple of hours this was live last night but equally not sure if it's gonna be my multiplayer game of choice. It all works and feels good but I don't know if it'll be enough to take away my time from all of the other multiplayer games I play every night.

Cool though! Really fascinating to see the tech in actual use.

OP
OP
zedox

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The full game has progression, unlocks, experience gain etc. At least you can see that in preview videos and Joe stated "hundreds" of unlockables in an interview.

Ranked gets pretty much never released for a new game at launch because the studios want people to learn their games first. So this seems fine.

Agreed on party matchmaking though.

The framework seems great. They nailed the gameplay. The other things hopefully can evolve with some post-launch support.
Yea, I thought I remember hearing Joe stating that. I thi k parties is my only real gripe right now as I want to play with my friends. Most MP games I play with are with my friends.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Wasn't able to play it on a console, but I did play it on lowest settings on pc. It definitely performs great except some minor stutters that i had during my two hour playthrough.