• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Just release the city as a fee to play playground you can have fun in. Charge $5 for the campaign (about what it's worth) another $5 for coop. Charge for costumes and other cosmetic stuff.

I feel like that could have been more profitable than what they did. Gamepass members have everything but cosmetics unlocked.

throw the multi into the trash. That it's hard enough to make an argument for why the single player exists, but the multi was just a mistake.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Some change in how it was presented definitely would have been an improvement.

I wonder if it would have been better positioned as a Gamepass exclusive. Part of the reason it was torn apart was because MS presented it as a AAA game that would break new technical ground. It became clear it was neither. If it instead was marketed as a more arcady AA experience without generation-definition destruction, its reputation would have been significantly better. And without that baggage, there is a fun, if barebones game in there.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the campaign, felt it was worth more than the OP thinks.
Not $60, but not $5 either.

OP
OP
Troll

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Some change in how it was presented definitely would have been an improvement.

I wonder if it would have been better positioned as a Gamepass exclusive. Part of the reason it was torn apart was because MS presented it as a AAA game that would break new technical ground. It became clear it was neither. If it instead was marketed as a more arcady AA experience without generation-definition destruction, its reputation would have been significantly better. And without that baggage, there is a fun, if barebones game in there.
I like that idea. Maybe another game game be exclusive to the service.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The campaign mode was great, I had a blast in coop.

I wouldn't spend $60 on it, but GamePass :)

Dec 15, 2017
I loved that game. The moment to moment gameplay was addictive. It's one of the most underrated games of the generation and it can be quite the looker at 4k.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
It should have been like $30 at most. The game is nowhere near as terrible as some make it out to be, but it's also wholly unremarkable (which I guess could be worse depending on who you ask). It's totally competent as a game though, a solid rental if nothing more.

I played it on Gamepass, never even touched the multiplayer portion but I enjoyed playing through the story in the weekend it took me to do so.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It just should have been worth playing in general
Even free, it wouldn't have captivated pretty much anyone. Better that they suckered some few people into a full price purchase before it faded into obscurity

What would their player retention strategy have looked like? You need people to be playing to buy MTX, and there was nothing there to keep people engaged beyond an hour or two of jumping around the sterile world, locking on to the same few enemy types and leveling your dude to... Continue jumping around the bland world. It's a dud. For free, it would have been the same dud with even less incentive to keep playing once the very thin veneer of "new Crackdown" wears through, as there is no sunk cost fallacy to motivate people with a F2P game. The F2P space is far too full of games that are far superior to CD3 to expect anybody to give it the time of day.

Last edited:

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
OP's name checks out.
CD3 was good, seems like expectations bit people right in the arse with this one, never really understood what people really wanted.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
This and Sea of Thieves are perfect Gamepass games. As standalone $60 dollar experiences they don't quit justify the value but as Gamepass games they a perfect. Sea of Thieves is great to go on with friends every once in a while a Crackdown 3 was a fun quick romp. There only game I've gotten 1000gs on this year.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
OP's name checks out.
CD3 was good, seems like expectations bit people right in the arse with this one, never really understood what people really wanted.
I'm sure many just wanted to use it as a whipping boy to argue against cloud gaming. I haven't finished it yet, but I've enjoyed playing it co-op with my son which is exactly what I was looking for.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I love Crackdown 3. And to get it for free with Gamepass was fantastic. I had a ton of fun with the game. I think I spent 24 hours playing it and found all of the agility orbs.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should have been cancelled. I'm guessing it would have been if not for cancelling Scalebound and not wanting more backlash.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I thought that the sentiment now is that Crackdown 3 was a good game that had rather old fashioned design sensibilities (if you ignore the abysmal multiplayer).

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I thought that the sentiment now is that Crackdown 3 was a good game that had rather old fashioned design sensibilities (if you ignore the abysmal multiplayer).
Basically, that's what I've found. It plays well and the orb hunting is still enjoyable more than a decade later. We enjoy going around a blowing up cars to start chain reactions.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
That early "destructible portion of the city" demo should've been made public and free-to-play. I would've gotten the game if it meant being able to mess around with that even in limited capacity, no missions, no multiplayer, etc.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Crackdown 3 is great, and the campaign was really fun. Best crackdown game, better than 1. People wouldnt hate it as much if the MP hadnt been downgraded so much.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Crackdown 3 is great, and the campaign was really fun. Best crackdown game, better than 1. People wouldnt hate it as much if the MP hadnt been downgraded so much.

Agreed. I loved it. I don't play the multiplayer and I was never going to just like 95% of the people that were going to buy the game. But to counter the OP, no it should not have been F2P as that wouldnt make any sense but I do think it should have been maybe $30 and not had multiplayer.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Disagree, and I say this as someone who's been playing through the campaign sporadically for months. It's a fun Crackdown game, and that doesn't mean it should be free.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
It's actually a really fun game and reminded me when I wanted that all games had jump assigned to R3. It was also cheap as hell (12 bucks) in the latest microsoft publisher deals.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Had more fun in crackdown 3 then borderlands 3. Still yet to finish b3 because I got bored.

Lots of people have different tastes, as a crackdown game , 3 is fun if not a bit too similar to the old games.

At least its better then crackdown 2. The multi was trash though and maybe that part should have been free (it should have been scrapped from the beginning)

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It basically was FTP since practically everyone who played it played it on Gamepass.

but yeah, it definitely should never have been $60.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
The USP was the never seen before cloud-based multiplayer destruction. Turns out that the campaign has more fans than the multiplayer.