• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is that the criticisms sent at Crackdown aren't wrong, but they also aren't fairly sent at other games. Games like Spider-Man suffer from the same issues that make them play like relics and yet these are handwaived while they/it receive over whelming praise. And it's not like the repetitive and anachronistic side content is a small part of the games, it's verh literally the meat and potatoes of an open world title.

Crackdown's reception has affirmed of a lot of biases.

The only biases it has affirmed is of people such as yourself, who evidently have a poor perception of quality game design, to the point where you'll convince yourselves there's some wider conspiracy afoot instead of your own lack of comprehension.

Sure Spider-Man has some repetition in its side content (which it was criticised for in reviews, and also one of the things that likely kept it from hitting 90+ on meta), but it's literally tertiary side content, whereas in CD3 the entire campaign is akin to one repetitious set of side content esque gameplay, where ultimately the core gameplay is seemingly no where near as competent as Spider-Man's.

It appears CD3 doesn't have near the breadth of polish, fluidity of animations, hit reactions, controls, gameplay and overall combat diversity or depth, competency of gameplay, quality of enemies and AI, bosses, set pieces, narrative, characters, characterisation, dialogue, emotive resonance, quality of world design, visuals, bustling city life, cut scenes, sense of progression, quality pacing, side content or missions, longevity, overall amount of content and so on, as Spider-Man, nor of the Arkham games for that matter.

It's genuinely hilarious that yourself and others are not able to notice that large gulf in quality between the two games (which I'd imagine most or many people would notice or be able to discern just comparing a few seconds of gameplay from each), or even to other games for that matter, instead believing the difference in reception is mostly due to some global widespread tinfoil hat based conspiracy or bias lol.

Last edited:

Majiebeast

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
awwoobl5rzg21.jpg

Gtfo with your trash meme nobody is going into the OT and saying this shit, people are discussing reviews in a review thread.

squilliedee

Jan 4, 2019
I have and it plays just like the first - which I loved twelve years ago.

But times have changes and games (and their subsequent mechanics) have improved drastically. When the first Crackdown came out 12 years ago it was fresh, innovative, unique and a blast to play.

By contrast, CD3 is stale, stagnant, tepid, and woefully backwards. Nothing about it - from the visuals to the gunplay to the traversal - seems contemporary. It would be the equivalent of a new Tomb Raider that mechanically plays just like the original from 1996.

To each their own I guess, I'm enjoying it a lot...

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
She shouldn't have. Spider-Man sucks. The only thing more pedestrian than that game is a cross walk.
I feel the energy, Spiderman isn't my type of superhero game either. The only superhero game I have respect for is Captain Toad.

The difference between Spiderman and CD3 though, Andrea would have won her bet with Spiderman.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Wanna make an avatar bet? 😏
This thread has everything. Now we've got the drama of a bet, and the suspense of whether or not fan favorite Dren will win it.

I'm just so glad that everyone feels the passion and excitement Neat felt when he made this thread for one of his most beloved series. And regardless of how well this game reviewed, I hope Neat is enjoying what he has claimed is his most anticipated game of 2019.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Crackdown 3 scores would've escalated if there was a 9/10 from a relevant publication, hey-oh!

You're really good at shit-talking
I respect that
shame neat can't show respect the first review of the game shown on metacritic or women or his dad : (
I feel the energy, Spiderman isn't my type of superhero game either. The only superhero game I have respect for is Captain Toad.

The difference between Spiderman and CD3 though, Andrea would have won her bet with Spiderman.
she would have smoked that bet, but Rene is a belieber. A belieber in the impossible. Who are we to deny the comeback story of the ages?
well that sure escalated
shoot 3s, not 2s

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of a perfect gamepass game. I wouldn't pay $60 for it, but I've paid $40 for worse games (that get higher metascores). With gamepass, you don't have to make that choice though.

They should have raised the bar, but I can understand MS not wanting to cancel another game and playing it safe. They sure paid for it tho. It's basically CD1 but next-gen in the sense of all of the stuff that can happen on screen at one time. Also, there are quite a few QoL upgrades. It's a good game that does nothing remarkable and has a couple flaws - mainly car physics. I'm playing on Insane and it's a healthy challenge although not particularly difficult. You have to use your head insofar as what to tackle next because some stuff is out of your league.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The only biases it has affirmed is of people such as yourself, who evidently have a poor perception of quality game design, to the point where you'll convince yourselves there's some wider conspiracy afoot instead of your own lack of comprehension.

I stopped reading when you brought up conspiracies because it shows you haven't read my posts.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Nothing wrong with having fun with a mediocre game. I really enjoyed Drakengard 3, despite the fact that it was a mess most of the time. It even has one 9/10 score on Meta.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I stopped reading when you brought up conspiracies because it shows you haven't read my posts.

But that is inadvertently what you've implied, that there's some sort of conspiracy where journalists across the entire world from dozens of different gaming outlets, only deride certain games for certain things and not others, because of specific or predetermined biases lol.

A lack of comprehension as to all the other nuances and components in game design, and presumably your own biases, is likely preventing you from understanding or appreciating the wider context in differences in quality between the two games, which otherwise rationally highlight why the differences in reception and criticism also exist.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Is it at least going to be cloud destruction that syncs across multiple users?

First and foremost, on a presentation front the games are incomparable. From the animations, to hit detection, to the character's sense of speed, weight, and locomotion response... Every facet of the two's presentation are worlds apart. When it comes to traveling through the world, in Spider-Man, zipping around the city is fluid, fast, and by reviewer and general sentiment, enjoyable. In Crackdown, the platforming is as good as ever, but driving is an absolute chore worse than the Batmobile in Arkham Knight.
When it comes to combat, Crackdown retains the lock on from the first one. You aim and hold down the trigger until the enemy is dead. There are several guns, but outside of some key, and very exciting standouts, they feel very similar. You can pick up objects on the ground and throw them, including cars as your agent is upgraded. All of this is done with zero reaction from the enemies you are killing, and there isn't very much in the way of enemy variety or memorable boss encounters. In Spider-Man, the enemy variety issue isn't much different than in Crackdown, but the game gives you dozens of gadgets and environmental traps to use against enemies in addition to the combat options pioneered by Batman and the earlier Spider-Man games. The similarities to Batman cannot be ignored, though Insomniac's title has a much greater focus on aerial combos and acrobatics, and the many gadgets keep things feeling somewhat fresh. The boss encounters in Spider-Man are typically presented as highly polished set piece moments.
When it comes to content, the comparison continues to be incredibly unfavorable to Crackdown. Spider-Man has an impressive narrative with excellent voice acting and writing that captures the essence of the source material, but with some missteps in the form of forced stealth sections and lame match 3 puzzles. Crackdown has a nonexistent narrative with mostly terrible voice acting and fairly rote boss encounters. For side content, neither game shines. Both have copy paste garbage side content that has been done better in dozens of games. A key difference is that Spider-Man's trash side content is underpinned by moment to moment gameplay that more people find enjoyable than Crackdown's dated offering. As for story mission structure, there is no comparison. Crackdown's story content is more akin to the bad side content of Spider-Man.

I'm not sure why people try to compare this clearly flawed game to other, superior titles. The game suffers for those comparisons. We have heard it compared to Doom, Spider-Man, and even Breath of the Wild, when it can't hold a candle to any of those titles and bears almost no resemblance to them. When I say that such comparisons leave me genuinely nonplussed, I mean it. I simply cannot see how someone who is thinking critically could fail to notice the yawning chasm of difference in the quality of every facet of these games.
A little off topic: Apologies for the late reply. I just got back from watching Alita Battle Angel with some friends. I found it to be a deeply flawed movie, with huge narrative issues and often subpar and stilted performances and questionable CGI on the eponymous heroine. I still enjoyed it, and had (oh no he is gonna say it) fun watching it, but that doesn't exclude its flaws and I would never compare it to the likes of Blade Runner even though they bear some resemblance to each other in subject matter.

So what you're telling me with this post is that you just compared two games that supposedly can't be compared

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
User Banned (1 Day): Driving thread derailment
But that is inadvertently what you've implied, that there's some sort of conspiracy where journalists across the entire world from dozens of different gaming outlets, only deride certain games for certain things and not others, because of specific or predetermined biases lol.

Your lack of comprehension as to all the other nuances and components of game design, and presumably your own biases, are likely preventing you from understanding or appreciating the wider context in differences in quality between the two games, which otherwise rationally highlight why the differences in reception and criticism also exists.

No, as I've already stated times in the thread, I have no even remotely alluded to a conspiracy. Unless you don't know what a conspiracy is?

My lack of comprehension with game design sure didn't prevent me from comprehending all of Spider-Man's glaring issues.

I'm starting to think you haven't read your posts

Are you sure? Hold please.

Because these are problems with reviewing in games media, not a conspiracy or a manical secret plot to derail certain games. Do you need to google what a conspiracy is?

Well for one a conspiracy would have to be intentionally implemented with the agency of people knowingly doing it, which no one has said.

Also for two, I have at no point in this thread suggested a Sony bias or anything similar to a cabal. Nor do I think I even mentioned Sony at all.

con·spir·a·cy
/kənˈspirəsē/Submit
noun
a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

the action of plotting or conspiring.
"they were cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice"

Damn are we gamefaqs today

Last edited:

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Akai_XIII

Oct 26, 2017
You can have fun with a critically panned game: see Crackdown 3.
You can hate a critically loved game: see RDR2.

Fun is subjective and reviews are opinions.

From what I've played so far it's a B-movie, dip-in dip-out, fun in bursts type of game. Not sure I'd buy it outright but it's perfect for Gamepass.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
You sir are in for a treat. I wish I had the honors of getting brutally beat in a CD3 bet by such an amazing person like Dren. At least you'll have a better shot at winning that Andrea did with her 9/10 bet.

I'm almost scared of this bet, it's all I'll be thinking about for the next few weeks. Will Dren claim another victim in his web of victories, or will someone take that crown and become the new fan favorite, well, no one will ever take that crown unfortunately, but you could still beat him, which is enough of a victory in my eyes.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Neither sales, review scores, or whatever the third one are, happen to be indicative of the quality of a game. They are not objective measures of that. Sales represent commercial success, poor works can achieve commercial success.

Reviews are at the end of the day an opinion, but doubly so in gaming because game reviewers are barely an authority on anything. Between the questionable at best ethics of their business models, review events, to their sheer lack of ability to actually describe gameplay, much less understand more nuanced concepts of the games they play, they aren't even well reasoned opinions half the time.

Beyond that it's a fallacy. One can clearly like or even argue a game is good even if it was a commercial dud/reviewed poorly, because there ain't any objective 1:1 correlation between a meta score and the exact quality of a game.

Feb 10, 2018
Neither sales, review scores, or whatever the third one are, happen to be indicative of the quality of a game. They are not objective measures of that. Sales represent commercial success, poor works can achieve commercial success.

Reviews are at the end of the day an opinion, but doubly so in gaming because game reviewers are barely an authority on anything. Between the questionable at best ethics of their business models, review events, to their sheer lack of ability to actually describe gameplay, much less understand more nuanced concepts of the games they play, they aren't even well reasoned opinions half the time.

Beyond that it's a fallacy. One can clearly like or even argue a game is good even if it was a commercial dud/reviewed poorly, because there ain't any objective 1:1 correlation between a meta score and the exact quality of a game.

40 pages later.....
Haha

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I literally replayed Crackdown 1 the other day just to refresh my memory. That game aged poorly; this game is clearly an improvement on the original in terms of bulking out mission variety and even weapon type. I did wince a bit reading Jeff say that, why recommend an outdated game. I would not recommend going back myself .

Yeah. People can score the game low but statements like these hurt credibility. Crackdown 3 is a clear improvement over the original.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, as I've already stated times in the thread, I have no even remotely alluded to a conspiracy. Unless you don't know what a conspiracy is?

My lack of comprehension with game design sure didn't prevent me from comprehending all of Spider-Man's glaring issues.

Are you sure? Hold please.

con·spir·a·cy
/kənˈspirəsē/Submit
noun
a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

the action of plotting or conspiring.
"they were cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice"

Damn are we gamefaqs today

When people use the term conspiracy in this context they're usually being facetious, not literal.

But please humour me with a deeper explanation as to what this affirmed bias is that you believe is harboured by journalists from dozens of different gaming outlets from all around the world, that causes them to unfairly criticise or critique these games differently?

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you think of this game as an alternate Crackdown 2 that has been locked away in a vault the past 10 years and finally being released, then you will enjoy it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Totally agree.
You can enjoy a game + acknowledge It's mediocrity / flaws at the same time.

Your enjoyment doesn't necessarily mean it's a great game "critically".

Exactly. I still like Sonic Unleashed.

This will also bake your noodle....ppl say this is a true sequel to CD1, but I liked 2 :-(. The way 1 ended....how could 2 not be a true sequel?

I felt the underground freaker nests were a nice addition to 2. I don't know what ppl didn't like about 2, but I thought 2 was good.

I'm not going to debate about the review it got, I just play what I like.

I got a feeling CD3 is going to carry on the cult favorite status 1 has. If anything, this thread is making me wanna see if I have a trial for GP, see if I have any harddrive space and download this game, lol.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So what you're telling me with this post is that you just compared two games that supposedly can't be compared
Certainly not favorably, like you were. I'm sad I wasted time responding to your post with such detail, as it seems that you're not the kind of person that is worth responding to. I hope you improve after your break. What a weakass response.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
targeting specific enemies can be a nightmare and i hate that you cant target the flying ships till you are literally right under them. as fun as exploring and platforming is, i'm finding the combat to be pretty frustrating in addition to dull.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Game is mediocre, and I get the complaints. I have been having enough fun with it to keep playing. Game looks razor sharp on Xbox one X. My god the HDR is Amauri with all the colors and explosions.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone in here actually purchased the game for $60 or is everyone playing on GamePass?

It would be interesting to see the split.