• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Agreeing can be done in one line because the reviews have already said it all. What more can I add? And even then posters here have already gone into detailed explanations of why they didn't like the game and what they personally would like to see improved. If you disagree the onus is on you to explain why and "because it's fun" can be leveraged at any game and is a pointless metric to go by. I could have fun watching paint dry but it doesn't mean that it's a good activity to partake in. I also never said that was in the same league as the conspiracy theories either, please don't put words into my mouth.
There are at least 5 reviews that said all one people that liked the game can say. The metascore is not one giant monolitic review that all the critics agree with, it's composed by a lot of different opinions, in the case of CD3 some very positive ones too. The funny thing is that a lot of the yellow reviews say the game is fun, and that is probably what prevent it to have an even worse score. Fun is a metric that actually the critics are using with crackdown.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Well, Crackdown 3 is the least fun I've had playing a game in some time so that particular subjective door swings both ways.

Clearly, most of the critics weren't having much fun either.

I think contextually it would make more sense than a game that's getting very poor reviews.

And yes, there are people that are being unduly harsh on those who like it and that's not needed either but what I've responded to and mostly seen are people looking to negate the reviews with the notion of 'fun'.

I think this is the wrong place to do that.

People can have opinions and disagree with the review consensus.
No matter how many million times you post in this thread this game is still going to exist and there will be people who like it.

It's really that simple. You have a full on agenda at this point to just go on and on and on and on and on and on.

The funny thing is that if someone really said this game was their game of the generation (lol) you shouldn't be bothered. Who cares about what people like?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Are you just being willfully blind? Here's 2 posts in the past hour that can't just disagree with the reviews, but have to throw in some backhand slap like "they're playing it wrong", "they don't get", "reviewers are wrong/out of touch", or something to that effect.

Disagreeing is one thing, but calling the integrity of other people into question is just utter fanboyism.
And there are a lot of people that have simply said that they are enjoying the game and having fun. If all the complains about "fun" is not about these people, then better answer to the people that are using the "they don't get it" "they are biased" or something like that, instead of demonizing fun as an argument.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It rarely has any further detail, explanation or depth to the opinion either. It's like some sort of popular echo chamber rallying descriptor that doesn't actually mean or say much in the grand scheme of things. I can find all manner of things fun in games, including glitches, broken mechanics, weird exploits and so on, but that wouldn't necessarily mean those things constitute good or competent gameplay design.

Regarding the whole fun thing, there are levels to these things. Even bad games can have fun elements, what's important is how well a game can sustain fun gameplay or quality design, and from what I can gather in the reviews, most don't feel the core gameplay loop is enough to sustain consistency of engagement or fun over a prolonged period of time. The general gist is that it is so shallow, hollow and repetitive, that the fun factor is detrimentally impacted, and the actual core gameplay design itself, lacklustre.

And that's where the whole breaking new ground or offering more thing comes into play. This isn't 2007, this is over a decade later. The expectation and level of quality have moved on, so more of the same isn't necessarily enough today even if it was over a decade ago. Not only can overt familiarity sometimes be a negative thing, but it can be even more of a negative if coupled with a lack of modernisation in terms of levels of polish, animation quality etc, and if we're being honest, I'm sure most could agree that Crackdown 3 does look fairly under par in those respects. It not only looks like a previous gen game in terms of gameplay and/or design but also in terms of animations, movement etc too, and I'd imagine that might be working against it.

In truth I'm actually baffled when I read people say they just wanted more Crackdown. Literally just more of the same with little improvement, innovation or modernisation. That sort of outlook is just so inhibiting and myopic in terms of lowered expectations and standards from studios and publishers.

The thing is that the criticisms sent at Crackdown aren't wrong, but they also aren't fairly sent at other games. Games like Spider-Man suffer from the same issues that make them play like relics and yet these are handwaived while they/it receive over whelming praise. And it's not like the repetitive and anachronistic side content is a small part of the games, it's verh literally the meat and potatoes of an open world title.

Crackdown's reception has affirmed of a lot of biases.

Last edited:

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really interested in playing the single player, but was always intrigued by the multiplayer. I've only played three rounds so I guess there might be some major hidden depth I am missing but holy shit is this unappealing. I'm actually someone that historically often really likes multiplayer modes that feel a bit tacked on (e.g. The Last of Us, Gears 1, Uncharted 2, God of War Ascension), but my God this is underwhelming for something they've talked about for so long. The destruction doesn't feel particularly meaningful to the gameplay, the lock on is a fully dreadful choice, and there's also just... nothing to it. It's got neither breadth or depth. It feels like a demo. How is this all they have to show from such a long development? It's absolutely incredible. Played three games, topped my team each time, and I have absolutely no interest in playing again. It doesn't help that it runs poorly and feels seriously janky. The framerate felt, on my original Xbox One, like it was continually dropping beneath 10FPS. It's a ridiculously poor showing for a long awaited Xbox exclusive.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
There are at least 5 reviews that said all one people that liked the game can say. The metascore is not one giant monolitic review that all the critics agree with, it's composed by a lot of different opinions, in the case of CD3 some very positive ones too. The funny thing is that a lot of the yellow reviews say the game is fun, and that is probably what prevent it to have an even worse score. Fun is a metric that actually the critics are using with crackdown.

5 reviews out of how many? If you want to discuss those 5 reviews sure please do but if you read them carefully they say that they enjoyed the game despite the flaws and not that it's a great game.

I don't mind if people want to ignore the other reviews if they are having fun with the game, that's cool. But if you are basically going to ignore the majority of reviews I'm not sure what the point is of posting in the review thread. What do you think you'll gain from it? You know the game got generally poor reviews, nothing you say is going to change that.

Games like Spider-Man suffer from the same issues that make them play like relics and yet these are handwaived.
Crackdown's reception has affirmed of a lot of biases.

Please explain these biases?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

That a game like Crackdown that suffers from a dated open world mission structure is rightly criticized for it, but other games with the same or similar issues are not. It's a lot earlier to shit on Crackdown with its troubled and heavily publicized development cycle and constant negative press than it is a heavily marketed, hyped AAA game I guess.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And there are a lot of people that have simply said that they are enjoying the game and having fun. If all the complains about "fun" is not about these people, then better answer to the people that are using the "they don't get it" "they are biased" or something like that, instead of demonizing fun as an argument.
I've barely seen anyone attack anyone just for saying they're having fun. Most of the responses are against those who have called reviewers into question.

Heck, around page 30~50 a couple of posters have been peddling conspiracy theories about publications getting together just to give CD3 a bad metascore (who have been appropriately banned for it).

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
5 reviews out of how many? If you want to discuss those 5 reviews sure please do but if you read them carefully they say that they enjoyed the game despite the flaws and not that it's a great game.

I don't mind if people want to ignore the other reviews if they are having fun with the game, that's cool. But if you are basically going to ignore the majority of reviews I'm not sure what the point is of posting in the review thread. What do you think you'll gain from it? You know the game got generally poor reviews, nothing you say is going to change that.

And what are you asking people to do? avoid this thread because they don't agree with the metascore and don't want to write 15 lines explaining it? That's nonsensical. If people that agree or simply want to comment in general the reception can make it without writing an essay, people who disagree can make it too.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That a game like Crackdown that suffers from a dated open world mission structure is rightly criticized for it, but other games with the same or similar issues are not. It's a lot earlier to shit on Crackdown than it is a heavily marketed, hyped AAA game I guess.

So you''re going with the conspiracy theory that reviewers only give AAA hyped and marketed games high scores?

Spider-Man has world traversal that is far better than CD3, the combat is also far superior in the same vein as the Arkham games. The missions do become somewhat repetitive yes and that was noted in many reviews and points taken off because of it.

And what are you asking people to do? avoid this thread because they don't agree with the metascore and don't want to write 15 lines explaining it? That's nonsensical. If people that agree or simply want to comment in general the reception can make it without writing an essay, people who disagree can make it too.

Obviously users are free to do what they want but I personally do not see the point? I'm already seeing snarky comments being made in the OT about this thread because people aren't enjoying a game that they are. I'm avoiding the OT because I don't want to spoil it for people that are having fun with the game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That a game like Crackdown that suffers from a dated open world mission structure is rightly criticized for it, but other games with the same or similar issues are not. It's a lot earlier to shit on Crackdown with its troubled and heavily publicized development cycle and constant negative press than it is a heavily marketed, hyped AAA game I guess.
Open world games do indeed deserve more criticism, but also don't pretend that games like Spider-man and RDR2 only got good scores because of marketing. They do things in game that are far beyond Crackdown to earn good scores.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Open world games do indeed deserve more criticism, but also don't pretend that games like Spider-man and RDR2 only got good scores because of marketing. They do things in game that are far beyond Crackdown to earn good scores.

Ok sure Spider-Man has a good take on an old story but what else does it really offer that can make its reception unanimously positive in the wake of all of its potential criticisms? I can still point to a plethora of issues that the game has. But all of these are not even really discussed and if they are are written off as inconsequential in most reviews. Even with Red Dead, a game I haven't played so I can't speak on personally, a lot of the public and critics perception has kind of turned around on it only a few months after it released to rave reviews. What's the disconnect?

So you''re going with the conspiracy theory that reviewers only give AAA hyped and marketed games high scores?

Spider-Man has world traversal that is far better than CD3, the combat is also far superior in the same vein as the Arkham games. The missions do become somewhat repetitive yes and that was noted in many reviews and points taken off because of it.

Obviously users are free to do what they want but I personally do not see the point? I'm already seeing snarky comments being made in the OT about this thread because people aren't enjoying a game that they are. I'm avoiding the OT because I don't want to spoil it for people that are having fun with the game.

No I don't think it's something that's consciously done. It's not a conspiracy. Spider-Man has excellent traversal, yes. But so does Crackdown. Spider-Man's combat is Solid? So is crackdowns. The missions are very literally the same "go here and do this objective 8-10 times". Just like Crackdown. It's not like we're point shaving here, we're talking about reception on two completely different ends of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I've barely seen anyone attack anyone just for saying they're having fun. Most of the responses are against those who have called reviewers into question.

Heck, around page 30~50 a couple of posters have been peddling conspiracy theories about publications getting together just to give CD3 a bad metascore (who have been appropriately banned for it).
I've seen people attacking fun as an argument, and questioning how can be one person want simply more of Crackdown and not an evolution..., have been said that if you're going to disagree with the general consensus you need to explaing yourself in detail. Anyway, saying you're having fun despite or not even mention the reviews is not the same of accusing reviewers of being wrong, and you aren't guilty of nothing for enjoying the game, or saying that you're enjoying.

You know what problem I have with the game and I'm not seeing it here? I can't hear the music!

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People can have opinions and disagree with the review consensus.
No matter how many million times you post in this thread this game is still going to exist and there will be people who like it.

It's really that simple. You have a full on agenda at this point to just go on and on and on and on and on and on.

The funny thing is that if someone really said this game was their game of the generation (lol) you shouldn't be bothered. Who cares about what people like?

If I had an agenda I'd be clogging up the OT with my derision, which I'm not.

This is a review thread and the consensus matches my own feelings about the game.

Take your own advice and ignore me if my critiques bother you so much.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is absolutely fucking amazing, I haven't laughed so hard in ages. Keep it up folks.

Should have been closed by now. There is a topic to discuss the game.
People are criticizing Microsoft and those who want to say they they like the game. People are also saying that the review scores are pulled out of thin air like the game doesn't have flaws.

People are allowed to like or dislike any game they want but this is over the top.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
With Game Pass, I'm playing it for $10. I think a lot of people saying the game was underrated by critics did the same. Meanwhile, the critics rated this as a $60 product.
That's great that Game Pass exists so games like this might get a decent chance of longevity however, if the base sku is priced at $60 then it is getting reviewed and should get reviewed as a $60 game. At the same time, you can give the nod to the gamepass option as the majority of the reviewers already do(?)

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
Why doesn't Microsoft make these games count? Its not as if they are not investing heavily to make them. Might as well make them as good as possible.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Despite how awful the game seems to have turned out to be. I'm still willing to play it. But I'll be doing so in the same way I did agents of mayhem. I'll be waiting until it's £5 and the asking price matches the experience. That too was shallow, repetative fun that also outstays it's welcome despite its short length. But at £5 it's forgivable...at £40? Not so much.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Despite how awful the game seems to have turned out to be. I'm still willing to play it. But I'll be doing so in the same way I did agents of mayhem. I'll be waiting until it's £5 and the asking price matches the experience. That too was shallow, repetative fun that also outstays it's welcome despite its short length. But at £5 it's forgivable...at £40? Not so much.

You can just get gamepass for £2, then cancel your sub. It won't take a month to go through the game.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
You could always try game pass for 2 bucks...

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No I don't think it's something that's consciously done. It's not a conspiracy. Spider-Man has excellent traversal, yes. But so does Crackdown. Spider-Man's combat is Solid? So is crackdowns. It's not like we're point shaving here, we're talking about reception on two completely different ends of the spectrum.

That is your opinion and not the opinion of most other critics. Spider-Man's traversal is much better in both how it feels and looks. Spider-Man's combat has been likened to that of the Arkham games (for good reason) and they have excellent combat, CD3's combat is just 'ok' to me just like everything else. Spider-Man is a very effective use of a well loved IP. Of course Crackdown doesn't have that luxury so it has to stand on it's own 2 feet even more-so and it just doesn't, not at all. If Crackdown was called Spider-Man and hyped up it would still get similar scores and reviews because it is an average game.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
When Nintendo or Sony release their next AAA flop, it will intriguing to see the arguments from different warrior camps about why this particular score is not indicative of the games true quality.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No I don't think it's something that's consciously done. It's not a conspiracy. Spider-Man has excellent traversal, yes. But so does Crackdown. Spider-Man's combat is Solid? So is crackdowns. The missions are very literally the same "go here and do this objective 8-10 times". Just like Crackdown. It's not like we're point shaving here, we're talking about reception on two completely different ends of the spectrum.

This reductive analysis some of you engage in is ridiculous.

You really want to compare Spider-Man to Crackdown 3? Really?

Crackdown 3 has visuals that wouldn't have impressed five years ago, animation that was dated even back when the original game was released, traversal that is basically jump and jump again (and clumsily grasp a poorly-rendered edge for purchase) and combat that is little more than lock, press button, rinse and repeat. On top of that the game has piss-poor collision detection, weak hit detection, no weapon feedback to speak of, and physics that wouldn't impress a Luddite.

By contrast Spider-Man has some of the most impressive visuals of the generation, a traversal system with far more options, actual contemporary physics, and combat that is both varied and unlike anything else currently available - a clear evolution of the combat pioneered by games like Arkham Asylum/City/Knight. The game also employs far more mission variety than CD3.

Spider-Man looks and plays like a game released in the last year. CD3 is a time capsule filled with outdated conventions most of us don't want.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Why doesn't Microsoft make these games count? Its not as if they are not investing heavily to make them. Might as well make them as good as possible.

Umm...Crackdown 3 has positively cost MS a lot of money. So many studios worked on it, so much time spent on cloud tech because of their bone-headed decision to make that leading focus of CD3. Rebooted, delayed. CD3 was an expensive affair.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
That is your opinion and not the opinion of most other critics. Spider-Man's traversal is much better in both how it feels and looks. Spider-Man's combat has been likened to that of the Arkham games (for good reason) and they have excellent combat, CD3's combat is just 'ok' to me just like everything else. Spider-Man is a very effective use of a well loved IP. Of course Crackdown doesn't have that luxury so it has to stand on it's feet even more-so and it just doesn't, not at all. If Crackdown was called Spider-Man and hyped up it would still get similar scores and reviews because it is an average game

We're getting into the realm of complete subjectivity here but the combat in Spider-Man is solid, yes, but what it emulates is a lot better (Batman). I don't want to turn this into pointing out my other issues with the game but the biggest problems it has it shares with Crackdown and one is dragged through the mud for those issues while the other has them largely ignored because reasons.

I can also point out how Crackdown's reception isn't THAT far off from Fallout 76. Now, I'll say again that I think agree with the consensus of crackdown, I even voted for 60-69 in the poll before it was closed on Thursday. But I can't fathom a reason why the literal biggest disaster of this console generation and an actual almost irredeemably bad game is very close in proximity to another game that is just ok at best. It's like the consensus was significantly more lenient on Fallout.

By contrast Spider-Man has some of the most impressive visuals of the generation, a traversal system with far more options, actual contemporary physics, and combat that is both varied and unlike anything else currently available - a clear evolution of the combat pioneered by games like Arkham Asylum/City/Knight. The game also employs far more mission variety than CD3.

Spider-Man looks a lot prettier yes. The traversal system, while feeling great, is no more complex that Crackdown. There is just as much nuance to Crackdown's once you unlock all of the abilities. Neither are deep. Both are enjoyable. The combat is very much like other things available, there's a whole other series that it's combat is heavily derived from. And what mission variety? The only "variety" comes from the main story which is probably the biggest thing other than visuals that Spider-Man has over Crackdown. The side missions, which are the bulk of the game, are all very similar and either make use of the traversal or combat.

Spider-Man certainly LOOKS like a game from last year, but it doesn't play like one.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Nintendo or Sony release their next AAA flop, it will intriguing to see the arguments from different warrior camps about why this particular score is not indicative of the games true quality.

I have an X-Box X and wanted this game to be good given my affinity for the original.

It's not and so here we are.

If Days Gone ends up being more skid mark than TLOU, I'll have to live with that as well.

If you think the derision about this game is factional and tribal you are mistaken. I'm agnostic when it comes to consoles; for me, the software is the only thing that matters.

And I think most people in here feel the same.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'd basically equate Crackdown 3 to Dynasty Warriors games.

A game that was getting 70s and 80s when it first came out, then constantly just rehashes the same thing with very little meaningful changes from the original and thus usually sits at a 60 or so score for versions today.

And A LOT of people have fun with Dynasty Warriors. But even they know it basically deserves the scores they get. And they're alright with it.

So your saying by the 8th iteration it will be amazing? Dynasty warriors 8 was an insanely high praised game for a hack n slash after being also on its 8th full release.

Every dynasty warriors game has ranked higher outside 6&7

Even the completely changed dynasty warriors 9 which was hugely mixed had almost the same amount of reviews with almost triple positives compared to crackdown 3, and half the negatives.

It didn't get panned as much probably because they took a huge gamble changing the entire formula of DW. Please do not compare crackdown to dynasty warriors.....especially after they went open world and actually tried something new....something crackdown really can't say.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking Spider-Man should score like Crackdown 3.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Imagine thinking Spider-Man should score like Crackdown 3.

I never said it should score like Crackdown I just pointed out the huge discrepancy when the games share similar issues. It's not even about just Spider-Man. That's just the closest analog I can think of that I've played. A log of these criticisms can be applied to plenty of other open-world titles that fair better in their public reception.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 days): thread whining, backseat moderating + history of system warring infractions
I think that maybe the only thing that many of us would agree at this point is that this stupid review thread should probably just be locked for further replies, as there isn't anything useful coming out of this mess at this point. If you like the game or are interested in whether you might want to try it then there is an OT thread, and there are certainly other places to just have fun trashing it on social media or otherwise too I guess if that is your thing.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
____game to____comparisons in a review thread is not wise but at the same time we must look at the current genre landscape and what's currently being offered by similar type games competing for your $$$. We must also look at innovations within same IP from previous iterations as well.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man looks a lot prettier yes. The traversal system, while feeling great, is no more complex that Crackdown. There is just as much nuance to Crackdown's once you unlock all of the abilities. Neither are deep. Both are enjoyable. The combat is very much like other things available, there's a whole other series that it's combat is heavily derived from. And what mission variety? The only "variety" comes from the main story which is probably the biggest thing other than visuals that Spider-Man has over Crackdown. The side missions, which are the bulk of the game, are all very similar and either make use of the traversal or combat.

Spider-Man certainly LOOKS like a game from last year, but it doesn't play like one.

Then by all means, point me to a game that plays just like it, specifically the combat, because I'd love to add it to my collection.

And whatever Spider-Man plays like is still light years ahead of anything in CD3.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think that maybe the only thing that many of us would agree at this point is that this stupid review thread should probably just be locked for further replies, as there isn't anything useful coming out of this mess at this point. If you like the game or are interested in whether you might want to try it then there is an OT thread, and there are certainly other places to just have fun trashing it on social media or otherwise too I guess if that is your thing.

Here's a better idea:

Go back to the warm, comforting embrace of the OT and let the rest of us be free to dislike the game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Then by all means, point me to a game that plays just like it, specifically the combat, because I'd love to add it to my collection.

And whatever Spider-Man plays like is still light years ahead of anything in CD3.

I already stated an entire series. The assassin's creed games before Unity play similarly. Hell, even the Mad Mad game isn't far off from this same kind of combat. The combat in Spider-Man is good, but it's not revolutionary or exemplary.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would make the ot a complete mess.