• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PlayerReady

Oct 31, 2017
Agreed.

Fun is also an easy fallback for people because it's inherently a nebulous and subjective term. It allows them to circumvent the many valid technical criticisms levied against this game and instead retreat back into their cloistered, microcosmic 'fun' bubbles.

A game does not have to be technically superb to have good gameplay. All reviews are subjective, fun to me means entertaining, somerhing I did not experience with Red Dead that is technically stellar. I would argue that those who don't see the gameplay in Crackdown are in their own bubble that does not let them see past its lacking technical aspects.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A game does not have to be technically superb to have good gameplay. All reviews are subjective, fun to me means entertaining, somerhing I did not experience with Red Dead that is technically stellar. I would argue that those who don't see the gameplay in Crackdown are in their own bubble that does not let them see past its lacking technical aspects.

If that's how you feel go with it.

My problem with the game is that it plays like something from a decade ago with nary an improvement over the original. If that's enough for you that's certainly fine but clearly it's not good enough for most critics and others who expect some manner of evolution.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
OuHe4Kt.jpg

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

Totally agree.
You can enjoy a game + acknowledge It's mediocrity / flaws at the same time.

Your enjoyment doesn't necessarily mean it's a great game "critically".

Agree as well. It's usually the zealots that can't handle other people's opinions/impressions of the game that are the problem in review threads such as this one.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Cool. DM your ID. You've spent a lot of time trashing this game on here and who would bother with such an effort if they haven't played the game, right?

It's simple to prove you've played it (even for the 15 minutes you claim).

tenor.gif

This is no longer a "Review Thread". The Review thread stopped at about page 5. It became something else entirely from that point. I think the number of pages so far speaks for itself.

I assure you, this is actually a review thread. In it, we're talking about the reviews of Crackdown 3, which appears to be holding on with a metacritic score of 60.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Again this is a review thread where we are talking, specifically, about critical reviews.

I've purposely steered clear of the OT.
Sorry, but there are a lot of post talking about how invalid is to say you are having fun with the game. I can't believe someone can be so pissed with such a simple opinion. Why is worse come here to say you're having fun than come here and say yeah, the game is trash, and go?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Invalid as a response or rebuttal to criticism. Find a post saying that people literally cannot have fun with the game.
I haven't seen nobody posting that all the reviews are invalid because they are having fun, maybe I missed all these kind of messages. If someone is having fun is allowed to say it here as much as someone that think the game is trash is allowed to come here and say " I agree with all the worst reviews, the game bored me to death".

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, but there are a lot of post talking about how invalid is to say you are having fun with the game. I can't believe someone can be so pissed with such a simple opinion. Why is worse come here to say you're having fun than come here and say yeah, the game is trash, and go?

The fun argument is weaksauce in a review thread. I am personally not looking to deny people are having fun with this but clearly, there's a lot of individuals looking for some manner of vindication and this is the wrong place to do that.

Again, I haven't posted a single thing in the OT because I'm not a dick looking to ruin people's fun. But I am disappointed with CD3 and the reviews echo my sentiments.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It rarely has any further detail, explanation or depth to the opinion either. It's like some sort of popular echo chamber rallying descriptor that doesn't actually mean or say much in the grand scheme of things. I can find all manner of things fun in games, including glitches, broken mechanics, weird exploits and so on, but that wouldn't necessarily mean those things constitute good or competent gameplay design.

Regarding the whole fun thing, there are levels to these things. Even bad games can have fun elements, what's important is how well a game can sustain fun gameplay or quality design, and from what I can gather in the reviews, most don't feel the core gameplay loop is enough to sustain consistency of engagement or fun over a prolonged period of time. The general gist is that it is so shallow, hollow and repetitive, that the fun factor is detrimentally impacted, and the actual core gameplay design itself, lacklustre.

And that's where the whole breaking new ground or offering more thing comes into play. This isn't 2007, this is over a decade later. The expectation and level of quality have moved on, so more of the same isn't necessarily enough today even if it was over a decade ago. Not only can overt familiarity sometimes be a negative thing, but it can be even more of a negative if coupled with a lack of modernisation in terms of levels of polish, animation quality etc, and if we're being honest, I'm sure most could agree that Crackdown 3 does look fairly under par in those respects. It not only looks like a previous gen game in terms of gameplay and/or design but also in terms of animations, movement etc too, and I'd imagine that might be working against it.

In truth I'm actually baffled when I read people say they just wanted more Crackdown. Literally just more of the same with little improvement, innovation or modernisation. That sort of outlook is just so inhibiting and myopic in terms of lowered expectations and standards from studios and publishers.
well stated. shouldn't need to be said, but here we are yet again.

Has angry joe done a review?
u wanna tilt the apologists off the face of the earth?

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
tenor.gif

I assure you, this is actually a review thread. In it, we're talking about the reviews of Crackdown 3, which appears to be holding on with a metacritic score of 60.
The title says "Review thread". I agree. Meta score is 60.....okay? MY point is that for a game with such a bad review, the thread is still going around in circles talking about how bad the game is. Like, literally repeated in 100 different ways. Most of the posts are from people who have no interest in the game or plan on playing it.
At some point, a negative Review Thread starts to look like something else with near 80+ pages about the meta score. That's all I'm saying bruv..

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
The fun argument is weaksauce in a review thread. I am personally not looking to deny people are having fun with this but clearly, there's a lot of individuals looking for some manner of vindication and this is the wrong place to do that.

Again, I haven't posted a single thing in the OT because I'm not a dick looking to ruin people's fun. But I am disappointed with CD3 and the reviews echo my sentiments.
But a lot of people have agreed with the reviews with one line messages, and haven't received so much attention and replies. If the reviews would have been more positive would have been right to simply say you are having a blast?

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is no longer a "Review Thread". The Review thread stopped at about page 5. It became something else entirely from that point. I think the number of pages so far speaks for itself.
It's definitely a review thread. You've been throwing a tantrum about this thread for a few days now...why keep subjecting yourself to it?

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Reviews threads are not weddings or funerals, you are allowed to come and say different things than Congratulations/my deepest condolences. Is like, if Anthem score a 90 but I don't like the game should I totally avoid it's review thread?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But a lot of people have agreed with the reviews with one line messages, and haven't received so much attention and replies. If the reviews would have been more positive would have been right to simply say you are having a blast?

I think contextually it would make more sense than a game that's getting very poor reviews.

And yes, there are people that are being unduly harsh on those who like it and that's not needed either but what I've responded to and mostly seen are people looking to negate the reviews with the notion of 'fun'.

I think this is the wrong place to do that.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I think contextually it would make more sense than a game that's getting very poor reviews.

And yes, there are people that are being unduly harsh on those who like it and that's not needed either but what I've responded to and mostly seen are people looking to negate the reviews with the notion of 'fun'.

I think this is the wrong place to do that.

That's not my perception in this thread but ok.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reviews threads are not weddings or funerals, you are allowed to come and say different things than Congratulations/my deepest condolences. Is like, if Anthem score a 90 but I don't like the game should I totally avoid it's review thread?

Do as you like but expect for others to take you to task if your response to a critical drubbing is "But it's fun."

I can literally use that rebuttal for any game, be it BOTW or Superman 64. It's largely meaningless, especially in a thread about critical reviews.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's not my perception in this thread but ok.

Then why are they here?

They have an OT and I've been in that OT as a lurker and it's mostly just people praising the game and talking about how the critics missed the boat.

Why come here with vapid rebuttals if the agenda isn't to try and vindicate a game they love?

I think you know the answer to that question.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The title says "Review thread". I agree. Meta score is 60.....okay? MY point is that for a game with such a bad review, the thread is still going around in circles talking about how bad the game is. Like, literally repeated in 100 different ways. Most of the posts are from people who have no interest in the game or plan on playing it.

Man, surely you would have gone insane when The Order 1886 review thread reached almost 200 pages on the old place

What is the ETA on that Angry Joe and EDGE review btw?

I can't wait for those. But seriously, people really need to calm down at some point.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
My perception of this thread: *comments redacted*

I have nothing nice to say to a slew of the ResetEra posters here. Again, like always, you make gaming really hard to enjoy. Thanks, I guess.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Do as you like but expect for others to take you to task if your response to a critical drubbing is "But it's fun."

I can literally use that rebuttal for any game, be it BOTW or Superman 64. It's largely meaningless, especially in a thread about critical reviews.
But you don't need to write your own review to disagree with the metascore of a game. People that agree with the general consensus, are mostly not explaining in detail why they agree with the reviews. The thing is, if I'm having fun and people want to know deep how is the game for someone who likes it, there are at least 5 reviews they can read.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Look, the bottom line is Crackdown 3 has flaws that reviewers have rightfully called out. Despite those flaws the game has been able to carve out something enjoyable and yes fun for those who are giving it a go.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My perception of this thread: *comments redacted*

I have nothing nice to say to a slew of the ResetEra posters here. Again, like always, you make gaming really hard to enjoy. Thanks, I guess.

My favorite game of the generation is RDR2 and despite the effusive critical praise it received that game has been repeatedly savaged on this forum.

And it doesn't change my opinion about it one iota.

If the critical drubbing this game has taken or the negatives I and others have posted bothers you that much, ignore them. I'm not here to make you hate the game; I just personally think it's one of the great disappointments of the generation.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm torn, I'm loving my time with it and I'm actually can't wait to come home and play it again. I even re-downloading the first one to give it a shot off the strength of my enjoyment. If my gamepass ran out tomorrow I would definitely resubscribe to keep playing.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Man, surely you would have gone insane when The Order 1886 review thread reached almost 200 pages on the old place

I can't wait for those. But seriously, people really need to calm down at some point.
Agreed. Emotions always ride high in review threads like these and it can get the better of you if not mindful.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
Almost as sad as folks trashing a game incessantly, especially ones they've never played.

The culprits are easy to spot.

And I'm not shocked he/she won't share their ID, even via DM.
Asking someone to prove they played a game is just weird. Maybe one of the weirdest posts I've seen on this forum. And I've seen some weird things.

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it. It's good simple fun. I didn't and wouldn't pay $60 for it though, it simply doesn't have enough going on. It feels like a saints row game without the story missions. It's really really light on content, but what is there is super fun. Get it in game pass if you're interested the first month is $1. Otherwise wait for a sale or buy it used if that's a thing that still happens

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So I am totally obsessed with this game now, it is awesome even if it is 2019 whatever the heck that means :) For example I decided to do one of the driving races in a machinery area that I hadn't yet cleared of enemies just to have extra chaos going on around me And man that was some hilarious fun right there. I was drifting around the machinery and smashing enemies with my car and then all of the sudden I smashed into something where my agency car just went flying way through the air and crashed into the machinery itself, completely blowing it up and clearing that area even though that wasn't my original intent. That is just some crazy good times right there, and then I definitely understand the orb hunting obsession thing now. I keep trying to do something and end up flying off to grab some more orbs. Reviewers or other gamers hating on this really need to loosen their tie a little and learn to play by themselves some without being led by the nose through every gaming experience I guess.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But you don't need to write your own review to disagree with the metascore of a game. People that agree with the general consensus, are mostly not explaining in detail why they agree with the reviews. The thing is, if I'm having fun and people want to know deep how is the game for someone who likes it, there are at least 5 reviews they can read.

Plenty of people (myself included) have clearly delineated our problems with the game and why they align so well with the reviews. I've also taken the time to read and even respond to some of the more detailed critiques that are defending this game. And outside of a couple snarky exchanges, I've done my best to be respectful and courteous.

This game was something I very much wanted to be good. I loved the original game and I am personally floored at how little this newest iteration has evolved from it's predecessor. It is one of the most resounding failures of this generation in my opinion given the hype and production window.

There's a reason I've posted so much in this thread and it's because I'm genuinely upset they fucked it up this bad. I wanted a Crackdown with 2019 mechanics and conventions, not a nostalgic rehash with a slightly better coat of paint.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I am totally obsessed with this game now, it is awesome even if it is 2019 whatever the heck that means :) For example I decided to do one of the driving races in a machinery area that I hadn't yet cleared of enemies just to have extra chaos going on around me And man that was some hilarious fun right there. I was drifting around the machinery and smashing enemies with my car and then all of the sudden I smashed into something where my agency car just went flying way through the air and crashed into the machinery itself, completely blowing it up and clearing that area even though that wasn't my original intent. That is just some crazy good times right there, and then I definitely understand the orb hunting obsession thing now. I keep trying to do something and end up flying off to grab some more orbs. Reviewers or other gamers hating on this really need to loosen their tie a little and learn to play by themselves some without being led by the nose through every gaming experience I guess.

Breath of the Wild is also one of the highest rated and beloved games this gen. Along with MGS V... these type of games can do well.