• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

squilliedee

Jan 4, 2019
Ah yes, the rigidity argument:

If the game abandons X, it ceases to be Y.

Bullshit.

Time and time again we've seen sequels radically alter and even reinvent their respective franchises and in doing so inject theses franchises with vitality and longevity.

If everyone thought like you, we'd still have tank controls in Resident Evil and Kratos would still be an angsty prick killing everything in his path for shits and giggles.

Crackdown 3 is stagnation; a time capsule that ignores the last twelve years of innovation and advancement. It's not a horrible or unplayable game but it is incredibly antiquated in just about every facet of its execution and the fact that some of you like this dusty relic doesn't change that reality.

Did you play it???

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Or

Lmao Jesus christ

Or they're actually just having fun

How fucked up are gamers that "having fun" is a cover up for something more malicious

Gamers are a mistake

I never said they aren't having fun. THIS IS A REVIEW THREAD. When people attempt to rebut negative reviews with 'Fun' arguments they are using an incredibly myopic metric to basically gloss over issues that may be objectively bad or, at the very least, universally maligned.

If a game has technical issues (bad framerate, clipping, frequent crashes) somebody can essentially ignore those problems by exclaiming that the game is 'fun.'

In this very thread, people are admitting this game is archaic yet because it's 'fun' they can ignore or downplay the fact that CD3 ignores the last twelve years of innovation within the medium.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think quite a few people would disagree with you on this.

GTAV didn't sell 100 million copies because of the narrative. Plenty of people love the gameplay mechanics in Rockstar games, as evidenced by the critical and commercial success of their games.

Also, there are plenty of games that do 'mindless fun' markedly better than CD3. Just Cause 4 - for all its flaws - is a much more expansive playground for dumb, mindless chaos.

To each their own. That is the beauty about the arts (Games, movies, music, ect.) we can all consume what we enjoy because there are so many options.
"I'm having fun!" is to games what "I just want to turn my brain off" is to movies.

An excuse.

I really dont want to open a can of worms here and I agree with the Crackdown score (we are getting off topic here) but how is it an excuse? Sometimes you just want to relax and watch Transformers and not have to watch an amazing but soul crushing experience of watching Requiem for a Dream. Sometimes you want to listen to Darude Sandstorm and not Hurt by Johnny Cash. Sometimes you want to just fly around collecting orbs in Crackdown and not go through the slow but expertly crafted gameplay of The Last of Us. In all these cases the later is the much higher reviewed product yet people still consume the first. I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I have and it plays just like the first - which I loved twelve years ago.

But times have changes and games (and their subsequent mechanics) have improved drastically. When the first Crackdown came out 12 years ago it was fresh, innovative, unique and a blast to play.

By contrast, CD3 is stale, stagnant, tepid, and woefully backwards. Nothing about it - from the visuals to the gunplay to the traversal - seems contemporary. It would be the equivalent of a new Tomb Raider that mechanically plays just like the original from 1996.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To each their own. That is the beauty about the arts (Games, movies, music, ect.) we can all consume what we enjoy because there are so many options.

But that's not really the argument you were putting forth earlier. You made a claim about the gameplay in GTA and attempted to suggest people don't play those games for 'fun' but rather for narrative and to experience an expertly crafted open-world.

Respectfully, I would counter that such a claim is ludicrous. People clearly have all sorts of fun with GTA, mindless and then some.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

"Crackdown 3 excels at almost nothing."
No lies detected. Played the first 4 hours of the game(PC) on 65" OLED 4K HDR and it looks terrible to my eyes honestly. By that I mean the total package; the gun play, the fucking horrendous animations/movement feel, the cloud destruction that somehow manages to look worst than a 10 year old game's implementation, just everything about this game is below average to my eyes.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
"I'm having fun!" is to games what "I just want to turn my brain off" is to movies.

An excuse.

Sometimes people do want to turn their brain off.
My wife likes to stream TV series and that is her explanation. It's her choice.

Personally I get worked up over how bad TV is these days so it's not very relaxing for me but it doesn't invalidate her reasoning.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh we both know why do we, nah man... I didn't see your other points.. Do you agree that CD doesn't need mission structure then?? As to your other points, graphics look great on my 4k tv, nothing wrong with the animations and gameplay feels just like CD. Have you even played this game man???
Keep asking people whether they havew even played it, that sure makes you and your points look reasonable.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
User banned (1 week): antagonizing and harassing other members over a series of posts, platform warring
I think quite a few people would disagree with you on this.

GTAV didn't sell 100 million copies because of the narrative. Plenty of people love the gameplay mechanics in Rockstar games, as evidenced by the critical and commercial success of their games.

Also, there are plenty of games that do 'mindless fun' markedly better than CD3. Just Cause 4 - for all its flaws - is a much more expansive playground for dumb, mindless chaos.

Post your Live ID so we can see just how many hours you invested into CD3 to determine the game is complete and utter shite.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a disgustingly pretentious post. And I don't even like Crackdown. Jesus Christ.

People can admit that I game isn't great but also find it fun. Same with movies. Come on now.

I agree with you to some extent but at the same time the 'Fun' defense has become a default position that allows people to rebut criticism in the laziest way possible.

I've purposely stayed away from the Crackdown 3 OT and kept my unflattering opinions here because this is specifically a review thread and yet people seem to think blind circle jerks are going to fly in a space reserved for the analysis and discussion of professional criticism.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the thing is there are no shortage of games that are fun but are also good.

And amazingly fun movies that are also good.

I don't need to settle for Transformers when Avengers and Spiderverse exist. I don't need to justify Crackdown when Spider-Man and Doom exist. There are great silly fun games, and great open world traversal games.

This isn't one of them.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
But that's not really the argument you were putting forth earlier. You made a claim about the gameplay in GTA and attempted to suggest people don't play those games for 'fun' but rather for narrative and to experience an expertly crafted open-world.

Respectfully, I would counter that such a claim is ludicrous. People clearly have all sorts of fun with GTA, mindless and then some.

I meant it from my standpoint. I have more fun in Saints Row and Crackdown than GTA even though I can admit GTA is the better game. I have to go though, so play what you want. Bad games, good games, gaming like any form of entertainment should be entertaining for whoever it is that is consuming it. The game has its issues but I am enjoying it and will continue to play. I agree it deserves a 60 Metacritic but it cost me $2. I guess this wasnt the right thread to talk about all this so we can move on.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Post your Live ID so we can see just how many hours you invested into CD3 to determine the game is complete and utter shite.

Is that really all you've got to rebut with?

Let me ask you something: Why would I waste time discussing a game I haven't played?

Why would I have some sort of hate-boner for a game as ultimately forgettable as Crackdown 3?

FYI, had you read some of my other posts, I've played the game for maybe a couple of hours. What's funny about your little challenge is that the gameplay loop in this game - by all accounts - repeats within the first 15 - 30 minutes and essentially never changes outside of the Agent upgrading.

The game is what it is. If you're proposing that me spending another handful of hours is going to change my mind because the game gets markedly better, I'd love to hear why.

Is that what you're telling me? That the gameplay improves drastically from what is introduced in the first couple of hours of play?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I meant it from my standpoint. I have more fun in Saints Row and Crackdown than GTA even though I can admit GTA is the better game. I have to go though, so play what you want. Bad games, good games, gaming like any form of entertainment should be entertaining for whoever it is that is consuming it. The game has its issues but I am enjoying it and will continue to play. I agree it deserves a 60 Metacritic but it cost me $2. I guess this wasnt the right thread to talk about all this so we can move on.

No worries and I appreciate the explanation.

Honestly, as unimpressed with the game as I am it's not some awful, horrible, broken mess. I just wanted something much more evolved because I really was a fan of the original.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Is that really all you've got to rebut with?

Let me ask you something: Why would I waste time discussing a game I haven't played?

Why would I have some sort of hate-boner for a game as ultimately forgettable as Crackdown 3?

FYI, had you read some of my other posts, I've played the game for maybe a couple of hours. What's funny about your little challenge is that the gameplay loop in this game - by all accounts - repeats within the first 15 - 30 minutes and essentially never changes outside of the Agent upgrading.

The game is what it is. If you're proposing that me spending another handful of hours is going to change my mind because the game gets markedly better, I'd love to hear why.

Is that what you're telling me? That the gameplay improves drastically from what is introduced in the first couple of hours of play?

Cool. DM your ID. You've spent a lot of time trashing this game on here and who would bother with such an effort if they haven't played the game, right?

It's simple to prove you've played it (even for the 15 minutes you claim).

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
You own it for $2 or did you rent it for $2?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I would also like to add, I actually really like the Roxy boss fight, so far the fights are miles better that CD1

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Hype exists.
Reviewers want clicks.

It's not incomprehensible that review scores can be influenced things outside of the quality of a game.

I mean over the last year we have seen reviews both good and bad turn out to be absolute bulshit.

Don't know why some of you pretend reviews are end all be all facts, when time and time again we see that's not true

Outliers generally get clicks. I am struggling to believe that the general consensus amongst reviewers is that this is a great game but that 90% of reviewers chose to give it between 5/10 and 7/10 simultaneously to generate attention for themselves.

If the game was getting 8/10 and 9/10 and 2-3 reviewers blasted it, fine, but it's been universally handed average to poor scores.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yes. It's forbidden to have fun with videogames or movies. All you are allowed to do is dick measure review scores like an idiot. Forget about entertainment

You're in a review thread. Do you expect people not to talk about reviews? I know people that have had fun in Fallout 76 too, still doesn't make it a good game.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Okay, so when does this thread become the equivalent of trying to convince yourself? I mean, really. 75+ pages and counting on a game that "reviewed badly, a wasted effort, shouldve been canceled instead of Scalebound" and as far as this thread is concerned; a mediocre game. And that's putting it nicely.

Some of the mental gymnastics accomplished in here to actually explain why people are having fun with this game, legit inspires to write some next level, sci-Fi espionage types of shit. The game has its flaws. It's not perfect but......Yikes!

Seriously, though...75+ pages?! That's.....insane.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
What's even sadder is that I never once claimed the game is shit.

It is incredibly middling.
Don't even waste your time on posts/posters like that. You've been more than fair with your detailed first impressions and afterwards. Your posts speak for themselves if they had actually bothered reading them. Just because yours are not littered with "fun fun fun" in them, you're painted as someone trying to shit on the game when all you did was give your detailed first impressions.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so when does this thread become the equivalent of trying to convince yourself? I mean, really. 75+ pages and counting on a game that "reviewed badly, a wasted effort, shouldve been canceled instead of Scalebound" and as far as this thread is concerned; a mediocre game. And that's putting it nicely.

Some of the mental gymnastics accomplished in here to actually explain why people are having fun with this game, legit inspires to write some next level, sci-Fi espionage types of shit.

Seriously, though...75+ pages?! That's.....insane.
I just like jumping and shooting and punching the shit outta stuff /shrug

Oct 25, 2017
It is pretty funny seeing a lot of posters who spend most of their time in the Sony first party thread set up camp in here lol.
The PS4 is pretty popular so I'd imagine there are a lot of people who own one and an Xbox or PC as well.

How do you know they spend most of their time in that Sony thread? Why, you'd have to pick a list of names that posted a ton, then follow those people around to other threads and tally up the relative number of posts they make. Plus you'd have to ask each poster to estimate how much time they spend reading that thread vs others. That seems like a lot of work!

Keep at it, though, I believe in you.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

An excuse.

It rarely has any further detail, explanation or depth to the opinion either. It's like some sort of popular echo chamber rallying descriptor that doesn't actually mean or say much in the grand scheme of things. I can find all manner of things fun in games, including glitches, broken mechanics, weird exploits and so on, but that wouldn't necessarily mean those things constitute good or competent gameplay design.

Regarding the whole fun thing, there are levels to these things. Even bad games can have fun elements, what's important is how well a game can sustain fun gameplay or quality design, and from what I can gather in the reviews, most don't feel the core gameplay loop is enough to sustain consistency of engagement or fun over a prolonged period of time. The general gist is that it is so shallow, hollow and repetitive, that the fun factor is detrimentally impacted, and the actual core gameplay design itself, lacklustre.

And that's where the whole breaking new ground or offering more thing comes into play. This isn't 2007, this is over a decade later. The expectation and level of quality have moved on, so more of the same isn't necessarily enough today even if it was over a decade ago. Not only can overt familiarity sometimes be a negative thing, but it can be even more of a negative if coupled with a lack of modernisation in terms of levels of polish, animation quality etc, and if we're being honest, I'm sure most could agree that Crackdown 3 does look fairly under par in those respects. It not only looks like a previous gen game in terms of gameplay and/or design but also in terms of animations, movement etc too, and I'd imagine that might be working against it.

In truth I'm actually baffled when I read people say they just wanted more Crackdown. Literally just more of the same with little improvement, innovation or modernisation. That sort of outlook is just so inhibiting and myopic in terms of lowered expectations and standards from studios and publishers.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. It's forbidden to have fun with videogames or movies. All you are allowed to do is dick measure review scores like an idiot. Forget about entertainment.

The game isn't magically better because it's mindless entertainment.

That's the point: people can have fun with it, that's great, but this thread has people criticizing reviewers on the basis of their "fun."

Reviews measure not just some nebulous "fun," but quality, too. This is not a quality game.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
People who like the game, like me, should acknowledge that to others, it's a very "meh" game to them and just does nothing for them, that's okay.

People who don't like the game, people can be having legit fun with the game, some are brushing off criticism, which I DO NOT agree with, but simply saying "I'm having fun" is NOT brushing off criticism, they don't have to bring up the criticism when saying they are enjoying it to be aware of it. However if it's a "reviewers are wrong because I'm having fun" then yeah that's no good.

I personally agree with most of the criticism but I am still having an enjoyable time with the package (except MP). Doesn't mean I'm wrong or the reviewers/you are wrong for not liking it. Just I as an individual am having fun with what I am playing but know understand why it got the reviews it did.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and threadwhining; previous infractions
You're in the fucking review thread.
This is no longer a "Review Thread". The Review thread stopped at about page 5. It became something else entirely from that point. I think the number of pages so far speaks for itself.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The game isn't magically better because it's mindless entertainment.

That's the point: people can have fun with it, that's great, but this thread has people criticizing reviewers on the basis of their "fun."

Reviews measure not just some nebulous "fun," but quality, too. This is not a quality game.
Wrong. It's a quality game for those enjoying it.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017

Totally agree.
You can enjoy a game + acknowledge It's mediocrity / flaws at the same time.

Your enjoyment doesn't necessarily mean it's a great game "critically".

Last edited:

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I was pretty excited for this, loved the OG Crackdown. I booted it up last night and after about an hour...I dunno. It just made me feel tired. Jumping around for orbs doesn't excite me the way it used to. Movement feels a little off and I definitely don't feel the weight like (I remember) in C1.

I dunno. I'll probably jump back in and give it so more time, but I almost immediately wanted to stop playing it. It makes me so happy Game Pass exists, because I would have 100% bought this and felt horrible about it.