• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game should have been f2p with BR mode. Why even have a $60 version at this point with gp?

With the cloud power they could have had 200 man battle Royale. Would have been easy money.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The 'controversy' surrounding the reviews for this game is so weird to me.
It feels like reaching a consensus for this game should be the easiest thing ever, and that consensus is that this game is pretty unremarkable in every way possible.

Am I having fun playing what's there? Sure.
Why is that the answer to all the valid criticism people have for this game? Fun doesn't excuse non-existent and repetitive mission design, lack of activities, a dull and lifeless world and so on. This game feels like they built the world, implemented the character and had very little time or ability left to realize the rest of the game.
This isn't 'a game stuck in 2007', I'm not comparing it to the original Crackdown (which I never played). This game is a game released in a bare-bones state. It's a bare-bones game no matter what year you pick on the calendar.

On what basis does this game warrant better reviews? Everything it does, it does so in an average way or worse.
Most games aren't groundbreaking and don't re-invent the wheel , that would be a ridiculous standard to hold every new game to, but when you claim a game should score better, I am looking for a reason.
You can't point to a single thing in Crackdown 3 and say 'This has the best, or one of the best implementations of X feature and I think it should get more credit and recognition for it', you can't claim it's a comprehensive package as a singleplayer game, multiplayer game, or both combined. You can't claim people are making up new reasons to criticize it, no one is faking expectations and claiming to be disappointed because this game doesn't have an amazing story or award winning voice acting.

I have not played the multiplayer but I don't need to play it to know that it suffers from the same issues of little content and lacking features, and that the value of the destruction element is being judged fairly.

The real issue here is not whether this game deserves a score of 60 or 70 on Metacritic. If the score was 70, people would say it should be 80.
There's a mass of people who simply refuse to acknowledge the issues with this game and counteract valid criticism with 'I'm having fun! ', and in their minds 'a game I can have fun with'' couldn't possibly score this low and has the average score of 8.
Thanks for this.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These review threads are subjective.
Anyone can say that the sea of thieves thread sucks, or that the order 1886 review thread sucked.
80+% of ppl here in this thread probably haven't even read every page of it.
Even with "subpar" review threads, Xbox gets the best thread replies per category out there if compared to Sony.
Can you please put this in a list? I'm having a hard time understanding.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For better or worse, this game feels almost exactly like Crackdown. I think that was the first 360 gen game I ever played. I'm glad to have it on Gamepass and will certainly enjoy collecting all the orbs again. I like Terry Crews too. Nothing special, but not bad.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These review threads are subjective.
Anyone can say that the sea of thieves thread sucks, or that the order 1886 review thread sucked.
80+% of ppl here in this thread probably haven't even read every page of it.
Even with "subpar" review threads, Xbox gets the best thread replies per category out there if compared to Sony.
I see that post already made it to meme territory lol.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
It's a wonder why more outlets don't just slam games like GoW, RDR2, and BOTW because then they'd be more attractive!

It's risk/reward. Look at all the GoW reviews. I think the game is fine, but all of it's glaring faults (to me at least) barely got mentioned. And as someone joked I think in this thread, how come RDR gets a pass for 10 year old gameplay? (I dont give it a pass - i just couldnt keep going in gta5 because the controls are un-fun, and rdr2 didnt change the formula). But you're looking at games that are pretty much guaranteed to sell in the 10s of millions.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 'controversy' surrounding the reviews for this game is so weird to me.
It feels like reaching a consensus for this game should be the easiest thing ever, and that consensus is that this game is pretty unremarkable in every way possible.

Am I having fun playing what's there? Sure.
Why is that the answer to all the valid criticism people have for this game? Fun doesn't excuse non-existent and repetitive mission design, lack of activities, a dull and lifeless world and so on. This game feels like they built the world, implemented the character and had very little time or ability left to realize the rest of the game.
This isn't 'a game stuck in 2007', I'm not comparing it to the original Crackdown (which I never played). This game is a game released in a bare-bones state. It's a bare-bones game no matter what year you pick on the calendar.
As you say, you didn't play Crackdown, but that's why people say its a game stuck in 2007. This feels almost exactly like it. Crackdown was also completely barebones and barren, but it existed in a time where openworld was in its infancy. It's mainly an orb collectahon game where you have fun seeing your character grind his way to improvement and byt the end of the game are superhuman. But really there's little else there. It'll be fun while it lasts.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for MS to announce record breaking sales and player count next week for this game. :)

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, this console war drivel:
Opinions are subjective.
Anyone can say Halo 5 sucks, or Uncharted 4 sucks.
80+% of ppl here in this thread don't even have Xbox or care about Crackdown 3.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony.

Halo 5 >>> Killzone Shadow Fall
Gears 4 >>> The Order 1866
Sunset Overdrive >>> Infamous Second Son
Forza Motorsport 5/6/7 >>> Gran Turismo Sport
Forza Horizon 2/3/4 >>> Driveclub
Killer Instinct >>> Street Fighter 5
Super Lucky's Tale >>> Knack
Ori and The Blind Forest >>> ???
Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Don't matter if someone like a Metacritic 50 or 90+ game.
Do you guys care too much about Scores and if other ppl love something you don't love.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's risk/reward. Look at all the GoW reviews. I think the game is fine, but all of it's glaring faults (to me at least) barely got mentioned. And as someone joked I think in this thread, how come RDR gets a pass for 10 year old gameplay? (I dont give it a pass - i just couldnt keep going in gta5 because the controls are un-fun, and rdr2 didnt change the formula). But you're looking at games that are pretty much guaranteed to sell in the 10s of millions.

Let me get this straight, they had glaring issues , guaranteed to sell in 10s of millions and oh negativity is more attractive... No negative reviews for those easy targets.
CD3 doesn't have glaring issues, guaranteed to not sell in 10s of millions but somehow reviewers decided to throw away their integrity for it?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Are you implying that reviewers only nitpick xbox exclusive games specifically for more clicks?

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
It's a wonder why more outlets don't just slam games like GoW, RDR2, and BOTW because then they'd be more attractive!
My head hurts imagining all them clicks/money that could've potentially been generated via majority negative reviews with high profiles games like GOW, RDR2, BOTW.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Man, some of you are really reaching to downplay the reviews. Reviewers don't have it out for your favorite game. GTA, controls or not, has so much more going for it and controls would be subjective anyhow. If you like the dang game, you like the game. No need to come in with the looney conspiracy because it didn't score well.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not trying to say that Crackdown 3 is revolutionary. The Cloud-tech is borderline revolutionary, but it's also not part of the campaign, which is the main draw.

And I don't generally disagree that the refinements seen in the game are evolutionary in the same way most other sequels are. Of course a sequel is going to build on and improve on the mechanics in the original game. I would argue that Crackdown saw a greater evolution of mechanics, enemy types, mission types, tech, weapons, gadgets, Narrative and navigation than Gears 4 did, for example.

I would whole heatedly also agree to disagree that the improvements I've mentioned in that post are minor though. Have you gone back and played the original Crackdown recently? The game essentially has one enemy type, and the only variance are weapons, damage, and amount of health. Adding 9 new bosses, numerous mini-boss variants, new flying drone enemies, shield enemies, and new standard enemy variants is not minor, that is a significant amount of new content. Same with the upgrades, adding 25 completely new upgrades, that significantly improve the gameplay isn't minor. Neither is adding a new car that can scale buildings, or being able to transform into a tank.

This game still feels like Crackdown at its core, which is personally, what I'm most happy about. I wanted a big, fun, crazy sandbox, that added to and improved the original game, but kept it's core building leaping, upgrading, explosion-fetish, crazy fun.

What exactly would you like to see changed?

I'm not necessarily advocating radial change.

I'd just like to see some of the basics get an overhaul.

The animation in this game is pathetically stiff, the gunplay is drab and offers poor feedback, hit detection on enemies is weak, etc.

The core components feel like the original game and that's problematic.

Crackdown is all about trans-humans who are enhanced to the point of meta-humanism so why not take that core concept and expound on it in meaningful ways?

For example, why not flesh out the melee combat more given that these Agents are enhanced? Why not give them a myriad of options during combat?

Why is traversal so basic? Why not some manner of parkor but drawing on their enhancements? These agents should be able to (eventually) climb flush walls by digging into the concrete and slide down buildings like the Hulk. They should be able to kick cars into groups of enemies and grab a couple of thugs and slam them together with a wet, meaty thud.

The original Crackdown was an awesome power fantasy for its time but a lot has changed in twelve years and a sequel should reflect this.

There are ways to preserve that core you love while extrapolating on it to make something even better. That's what a sequel is supposed to be, generally speaking.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure i remember them announcing records and stuff for SoT and SOD.. (and Forza but that was a given).. Let's keep the train going.. lol

never tried Crackdown and haven't tried C3 yet. but with all this jazz, it would be hilarious
Hell, I don't want to join some of the tinfoil-hat guys in this thread...but let's put it this way: data exclusivity/monopoly would be a very convenient thing for MS...once they get rid of the middleman, the sky is the limit for their PR.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
User Banned (3 Days): Peddling conspiratorial rhetoric surrounding game reviews
Are you implying that reviewers only nitpick xbox exclusive games specifically for more clicks?

Well, in this circumstance (playerbase numbers, the decent amount of advertising that happened in the last few months, the history of this game, etc), I would. Hell, I would come to this site, look at the prevailing viewpoints and maybe base the decision just on that.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, in this circumstance (playerbase numbers, the decent amount of advertising that happened in the last few months, the history of this game, etc), I would. Hell, I would come to this site, look at the prevailing viewpoints and maybe base the decision just on that.
This just seems wildly paranoid over a situation that does not present any cause for disbelief.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

f3LCxts4Dg.gif

Last edited:

AM_LIGHT

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll try the game because of gamepass , from what little footage I saw , the campaign looks fun , remind me of the simple PS2 , early PS3 games. the reviews seem a little harsh but I'll share more once I try the game .

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Think about what you are saying.

50+ different websites/reviewers all agreed to score the game low so that each one of their websites would get more clicks.

Edit: I could see it if the game was getting unversal praise and then one website gave it a super low score. But in this case its wild that you would even consider it.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

RDR2 has some of the best hit detection and weapon feedback of any game I've ever played.

If your argument is that the gameplay is a decade old how come Crackdown 3 can't even come close in regards to those types of things?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
735.gif

Imagine being this much of conspiracy nut.

I'm sure the US government also doesn't have a way to monitor all our conversations (NSA), politicians don't make decisions based on influence from corporate back (nevermind have any laws at all to deter this, see the Ocasia Cortez viral video), and review sites aren't financially driven, and sponsored by the same publishers/developers they are reviewing, amiright? /S

His post isn't all that crazy, Journalists make sensationalistic headlines all the time.

Having said that...I have no basis to claim reviewers are taking the piss out of Crackdown 3, and I'm not claiming as much. I think it deserves better reviews, but in the end, it's probably best just to detach oneself from letting the review process affect you emotionally. It is what it is.

50+ different websites/reviewers all agreed to score the game low so that each one of their websites would get more clicks.

Edit: I could see it if the game was getting unversal praise and then one website gave it a super low score. But in this case its wild that you would even consider it.

And this point here, is rational. Even if some journalists make sensationalist headlines, that's certainly not all encompassing, and they wouldn't affect Metacritic substantially.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha wow, you're actually serious(?)

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure the US government also doesn't have a way to monitor all our conversations (NSA), politicians don't make decisions based on influence from corporate back (nevermind have any laws at all to deter this, see the Ocasia Cortez viral video), and review sites aren't financially driven, and sponsored by the same publishers/developers they are reviewing, amiright? /S

His post isn't all that crazy, Journalists make sensationalistic headlines all the time.

Having said that...I have no basis to claim reviewers are taking the piss out of Crackdown 3, and I'm not claiming as much. I think it deserves better reviews, but in the end, it's probably best just to detach oneself from letting the review process affect you emotionally. It is what it is.

But why?

What does it do well, outside of replicate the look and feel of an twelve year old game?

What components of this game are done better here than anywhere else?

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Well I did except low 70s at best, this seems to be even worse.
Doesn't surprise me, the game has always been all about marketing and zero substance, even the trailers couldn't hide any of the horribly outdated graphics and even more horribly outdated gameplay.

Suiko

Oct 25, 2017
I remember on the old forum getting in heated discussion with people over the cloud bullshit MS was spouting about Crackdown.
But it was so fucking long ago, I don't even feel like looking up those conversations for crow purposes.

At least the cloud is fucking dead.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC

I'm not necessarily advocating radial change.

I'd just like to see some of the basics get an overhaul.

The animation in this game is pathetically stiff, the gunplay is drab and offers poor feedback, hit detection on enemies is weak, etc.

The core components feel like the original game and that's problematic.

Crackdown is all about trans-humans who are enhanced to the point of meta-humanism so why not take that core concept and expound on it in meaningful ways?

For example, why not flesh out the melee combat more given that these Agents are enhanced? Why not give them a myriad of options during combat?

Why is traversal so basic? Why not some manner of parkor but drawing on their enhancements? These agents should be able to (eventually) climb flush walls by digging into the concrete and slide down buildings like the Hulk. They should be able to kick cars into groups of enemies and grab a couple of thugs and slam them together with a wet, meaty thud.

The original Crackdown was an awesome power fantasy for its time but a lot has changed in twelve years and a sequel should reflect this.

There are ways to preserve that core you love while extrapolating on it to make something even better. That's what a sequel is supposed to be, generally speaking.

I agree that a lot of the points you bring up could be great additions.

The gunplay and feedback could feel better, for sure. The story could be worlds better, and you are right that it's ripe for a cool, more mature sci-fi story, although I would argue that Crackdown as a game is very gamey chaos, and is cartoony. Better melee would be great, but the game already has many gameplay elements, I wouldn't expect melee, nor is it needed to be in-depth, even if it would be cool. Also, as great as kicking cars into people would be, Crackdown's Mechanic is about lifting and throwing larger and larger objects. I don't feel there's anything particularly wrong with their current mechanic for this. I would also say that Crackdown's lock-on mechanics still hold-up, and enable a certain gameplay feel that Crackdown needs, in order to feel like crackdown, even if they could feel less rigid.

I think your Traversal points are where I take issue a bit though. Being able to straight up climb walls would break Crackdown. The game is about leveling up your agent, and slowing being able to leap higher, and higher, in well defined amounts. If you could just climb walls, there would be no fun or challenge in the platforming/ climbing traversal. I'm sure it can be modernized in some way, just not in that way.