• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RPS review, Arse Crack, is hilarious

The default launch resolution for this 2019 game is… a windowed 1202×933. Just what? That's roughly a 4:3 ratio, like we used to use in… 2006? I usually run games in a window on my 3440×1440 monitor at 2560×1440, so looked for the default setting for that. It only went up to 2400×1800, which it considered to be "200%". Again, what? In fullscreen it offered me more sensible dimensions, but for boring work reasons I need to capture screenshots in 16:9, so switched back to windowed. Now suddenly I got go up to 6880×2880! WHAT?!

This stuff is so basic! Everyone else gets it right! Microsoft: nope. In the end I opened another game in the correct ratio, and then used it as a template to drag the window to the correct shape! And… the game reported back that this was 1994×1113. "M" to apply settings. And for a punchline: after it crashed to desktop, it loaded up back in 1202×933.

Man, Microsoft always finds new, inventive and mindblowing ways to disappoint.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everyone on the "Xbox is figuring on next gen content so late gen content suffering is fine" train feels like they weren't around last gen when the 360 basically had nothing and the Xbox One launch still basically had nothing.

It's okay to want more as a customer.
That's why I dropped xbox as a platform.

The narrative around xbox from midway through the 360 life to now has constantly been 'they had their hands tied behind the scenes, just wait until next year for the real good games to show up'.

That's nearly a decade of promises that things will get better but that simply never happens.

Does Microsoft make good games? Yes but in such few quantity and with such little franchise variety that for me it just simply isn't worth it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft is getting trolled hard from the rest of the gaming media. Gamers need to stop worrying about how the general population perceives Microsoft. They are the richest company in the world and have more control over their brand than anyone else due to their resources and avenues to communicate.

The trolling is interesting because it gives Microsoft more equity to work with when they continue to buy up developers and poach industry veterans from their competition. Hard to say they're making cheap games while also being mad that they're buying what they couldn't develop at the same time.

We just had a string of articles in this media proclaiming that Xbox is the real winner, Xbox is the objectively best console, Xbox is going to win next gen.

If a booty game getting a low meta score immediately appears as a media bias against Microsoft... Well. Okay.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
That's why I dropped xbox as a platform.

The narrative around xbox from midway through the 360 life to now has constantly been 'they had their hands tied behind the scenes, just wait until next year for the real good games to show up'.

That's nearly a decade of promises that things will get better but that simply never happens.

Does Microsoft make good games? Yes but in such few quantity and with such little franchise variety that for me it just simply isn't worth it.
Have you guys missed all the studio acquisitions and expansions of existing studios?

Oct 26, 2017
Crackdown 1 was one of my favorite games on the 360 mainly because of the vehicles. I remember as you ranked up, your vehicles would also get stronger and faster and you'd end up with a monstrous truck on steroids that could plow through anything and everything. No idea why they got rid of the vehicle traversal. Best part of the game. It was like GTA, but with superhero abilities, before Saints Row 3/4. No idea why they strayed so far from Crackdown 1.

Driving around the map was so fun and the physics were somewhat decent IIRC.

People forgetting Crackdown 1 was solid.

3yfV2Fz.jpg

You mean that the vehicles don't level up? But transforming vehicles are still in, aren't they? And I thought this game had everything Crackdown had and better. Just nothing new...

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some hot takes in here and some strange posts from people acting like every ms game is absolutely terrible. I can only think of sea of thieves and crackdown receiving heavily criticised reviews.

Sea of thieves went on to then do very well.

Just some very strange posts in here.

Hot takes on gamepass from cthulu when we know it's doing well.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Why did MS pretend that anyone cared about crackdown? Always has been a garbage franchise.
Crackdown gets remembered more fondly than it should because it came with the H3 beta, so people bought it and expected a trash game, but instead got a better game than they expected.
Crackdown 2 shoulda killed all nostalgia for this franchise, but like a cockroach, it persevered, and now we're here.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass has been killing the last few months with its game additions. It's silly to suggest it hasn't been increasing its subs.

but that's not what I said now is it?

Hot takes on gamepass from cthulu when we know it's doing well.

How about you present your evidence to the contrary and challenge what I said rather than slyly shitting on my post as a 'hot take' from the sidelines.

When you define every position you have from the starting point of 'fanboy' just to delegitimize my point, you make this whole thing rather childish. But you do you, I guess.

Last edited:

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps we need a seperate thread but I don't understand the narrative that this is Don Mattrick's fault. To me, that's perplexing especially since Phil took over in 2014 and has made numerous statements building CD3 way beyond what was delivered.

I know Phil is a good guy and all But Don Mac Hasn't been involved with the company for the past 5 years so that narrative makes no sense to me.
while Phil should take some blame. the Mattrick era pushed xbox to the bottom of ms pile when it came to budget and support. it was a "what can xbox do to help ms" which is probably 1 reason the x1 got the whole tv,tv,tv because ms wanted in the living room. As of last year or late 2017 phil was able to change the way ms looks at xbox. Phil reports dirctly to the ceo and has a seat at the big table. This could be why people are more likely to blame mattrick and less phil because phil got ms to care about xbox again

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Seems made for Gamepass. Not worth $60, but good enough to throw in the pile of games for $10 per month.

A shame they didn't advance the ip since 2007.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand how this survived the light of day with its long development while Fable Legends was cancelled when its season one of content was finished.
It's clear Phil has his favorites.
Nintendo and Squeenix giving money to Platinum to make multiple games and seeing results that please them, but Scalebound had it's throat slit prematurely...

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've been playing the game a bit longer now after initially not getting warm with it and uninstalling.

I have to change my opinion a bit. It's obviously not a triple A game, but it's getting a bit better. Like a new shoe that is uncomfortable as hell, but gets comfier with time:) I might even end up playing it for a while until the March triple AAA games hit.

The controls are smooth and the graphics, despite a bit outdated, too. The main core aspect of the game, which I would call the run and gun are actually quite fun and I guess as long the the game is fun to play, other negative aspects are ok to be overlooked.

I suggest people give it a bit more time and don't right it off right away like I did. I guess CD3 end up being a love/ hate game.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
You are actually wrong. First Party mean Published by or Developed by the platform owner. It just depends which one you are talking about.

There are only 2 "parties": First or Third. 2nd Party is just "slang" for Third Party Dev contracted to make a game for the Platform owner, however that is still a First Party game due to the publishing

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
that for new subs only or can i jump on that already previously being subbed? Cause I'd take that deal at least
Surprised at the low 60 average. The game looked like a straight 70: competently made, but only for diehards.

I'm curious about this as well.

I'm watching some streams, and it looks really polished, and like the Crackdown game I've been wanting for ages. There are two things I suspect might have happened with CD3 reviews.
1. Critics care deeply about the game not being more modernized
2. Sumo ended up making a polished game int he Crackdown vein, but didn't nail some aspects.

It sounds like #1. is the case, which also means, this game could be a 7-8 for fans of CD. I'm stoked to figure this out myself starting tomorrow though.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day) hostility, personal attack

Christ. I know your fanboy alarm is flashing off the scale just now (you seem to have a pathological need to defend every perceived slight against MS and it's fucking weird behaviour) but try and get some perspective and actually read what I said.

Going to have a run through with the ignore function, I guess. Might as well start the cull and see if I can actually improve the debate.

Oct 27, 2017
Is a bad game having a lot of players really saving it though? Is that how we're going to justify getting crap like this? I'm tired of getting bad exclusives and seeing Xbox fans brag about a ton of people playing them because of Game Pass. I could care less how many people decide to play a bad game just because it's on a service.
It's the Netflix model to a T.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The Xbox One has to have had the weakest line up of first party/exclusives of any console generation I can remember.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure why people are that surprised at the reviews.
A lot of them seem a lot higher than expected to be honest.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
When something has this kinds of reviews I am almost obliged to try it.
I voted 70-79 and said "but it should probably be 80-89".
Since I tried the 14 day game pass for free I will find out in 1.5 hours myself. I looks fun in the videos.. Maybe I'll find out why the reviewers trash it this bad.
Then again, I'm currently playing Fist of the north star with 72 meta and it's one of the better games I've played lately.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have you guys missed all the studio acquisitions and expansions of existing studios?
Not at all.

It's a good sign and something I hope pays off for them but again, this is just the next example of the excuse that we need to wait a few more years to actually see things change that gets paraded by Microsoft defenders.

Let's say they do manage to change things around and start putting out more well reviewed and desirable games, by the time any new games are actually developed it's going to have been at least 12 years or more for them to have gotten to the point where the argument that "things will be better, just wait till next year" actually comes true which is something I think the defenders need to acknowledge.

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
MS has some decent good games i would happily try it, like Quantum Break, Gears, Sunset Overdrive. The real problem of Micro is that Sony is doing so good with their games and it seems they wont stop.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
You are actually wrong. First Party mean Published by or Developed by the platform owner. It just depends which one you are talking about.

There are only 2 "parties": First or Third. 2nd Party is just "slang" for Third Party Dev contracted to make a game for the Platform owner, however that is still a First Party game due to the publishing

Not to backseat Mod, but a Mod already said to give up on the talk about what consist on 1st/2nd party because here's not the place nor the time.

2017-2019 has done them zero favors. Hopefully Ori and Gears 5 can help.

Wasn't Crackdown part of the "Greatest Lineup in History" tagline? I just remembered that

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think the issue is expectations. For instance, there's a niche for Earth Defense Force games - they are the definition of schlocky B Sci-Fi action nonsense. To some people it's fun to mindless blast stuff and laugh at a silly narrative and characters. With the enjoyment is an understanding that it's not "actually" good, and there wasn't an expectation for it to be so.

I think there is a divide with Crackdown 3. Some see it as Microsoft's simulacrum of EDF, while others saw CD3 as Microsoft trying to grow a B franchise into a big thing and tied the game in with an ambitious technological idea and that plus a very long development time understandable makes the seemingly mediocre nature of CD3 worse.

Plus, compare it to Sony. The Order 1886 was a game that for a year was super hyped, then kind of limped out to launch and received a mediocre reception (I think it's a pretty good but very limited game). Sure it was disappointing, but it wasn't long before we started getting other great exclusives, and it wasn't a part of the identity of the console. For most of this generation there have been a lack of compelling Microsoft exclusives (plus some canceled exclusives) meanwhile Crackdown 3 was this game lauded for ushering in a technology that will change how games work and even once it became a meme/sad story of another game in development hell the truth is there wasn't a lot of other games to distract from the conspicuous absence of CD3 nor the underwhelming reality of it now.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Not at all.

It's a good sign and something I hope pays off for them but again, this is just the next example of the excuse that we need to wait a few more years to actually see things change that gets paraded by Microsoft defenders.

Let's say they do manage to change things around and start putting out more well reviewed and desirable games, by the time any new games are actually developed it's going to have been at least 12 years or more for them to have gotten to the point where the argument that "things will be better, just wait till next year" actually comes true which is something I think the defenders need to acknowledge.
It's just reality. They've expanded the amount of the studios they have, so they'll have a much greater quantity if games next gen. Quality is yet to be seen. It sucks that this gen has been such a disaster, but that will soon be in the past, and at the very least there are going to be a lot more Xbox exclusives in the coming years.