• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What "indications" are you referring to? The same "indications" that MS was pushing to include monetization schemes in the game, which would affect the core design? Platinum shit out MGR in two years and it scored 20 points more than Crackdown 3, I would call that efficient
What other indications do you possibly need besides the fact it was pushed back a full year and then cancelled when it was obvious there was no end in sight. I don't see how you can get efficiency from that situation, especially by comparing a linear action game to an open world RPG which Platinum had zero experience with.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
he is not wrong.

I've bought maybe one Xbox game in the last 2 years because (1) I'm burned the fuck out on Halo/Gears/Forza and I don't want to buy another game in those franchises for a long, long time, and (2) the lack of other compelling exclusive software means there's no reason to think otherwise. Everything else I'm interested in I can get on PC or I can get the best version of on PC.

I'm sorry Terry Crews' brand got associated with this latest mediocre effort from a MS studio. But anyone who is objective probably saw something like this coming. Maybe not high 50s which is where we're going here, but no better than the low 70s. This sort of universal criticism means the game isn't just "dumb fun" bad; it's just bad. Plain old bad.
I don''t understand posts like these. Every Xbox game is coming to PC..

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Right, plenty of good games don't get sequels while mediocre ones do. But if people stopped buying the mediocre ones and started buying the good ones maybe that would be different.

The problem Sunset Overdrive and TItanfall 1 had was releasing so early in the Xbox one lifecycle before it really got it's act together. They had no chance.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I should have prefaced my review as I did the 2 dollars for two months of game pass. it didn't blow up my computer so I am good at that price point. I really like the analytic tool they have built into the game.
lmao. understood.

I'll watch some Twitch streamers I guess, but...yikes.

Every Xbox game is coming to PC..
Yes, I know. But that wan't my point so much as the lack of compelling software outside of Halo, Gears and Forza. Gears 5 doesn't mean shit to you if you're burned out on Gears, you know? Or Forza. Or Halo. If you don't want to touch those properties, what is there on the horizon to play only on Xbox (or PC)? Ori? And then what?

That was the point of the guy in the video and I agree with him. As a 15 year subscriber to Xbox Live, I'm pretty sure that there won't be a 16th year.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Of course, I wouldn't say that. However, there are some games that might be considered "mediocre" critically that I would enjoy. In those cases then the game isn't "mediocre" to me. I subscribe the Game Pass because there are several games that I would have bought regardless, so the subscription is a much better deal for me.
Definitely, I get that. Mafia 3 had Metacritic score between 62 to 67 and I loved the game.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
But he wears "gamer" t-shirts, he can't do anything wrong.

Yeaaaah you're so right, ONE man, maybe 2 if you count Mattrick, is responsible of all the brand's strategy. Glad to see some of people here are a kind of king at their job, where they can do whatever they want and spend billions of $$ without refering to anyone.

All that mess has probably more to do with MS's global strategies back in the day than anything. They were kind of lost and unfocused, but that was before Nadella came and put their shit together, to paraphrase one famous tweet.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is a good time to put the hand-wringing over Sony's "arrogance" into perspective. For whatever decisions they make that are poorly received, the ultimate end here - great, medium-pushing content - are still something Sony does better than basically anyone else.

Microsoft may be leaning into better in-house development, but so far, we have seen no actual indication that they're going to fix their actual problem: games. It's all well and good to own the periphery (streaming, GamePass, backwards compatibility, etc.), but they still haven't figured out how to own the core experience.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Glancing at the reviews it looks like more Crackdown 1 which seems alright. Be trying ti for myself at 12 tonight.

Shame they couldn't turn it into something more and evolve the formula.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
What other indications do you possibly need besides the fact it was pushed back a full year and then cancelled when it was obvious there was no end in sight. I don't see how you can get efficiency from that situation, especially by comparing a linear action game to an open world RPG which Platinum had zero experience with.

And compare that to 3 teams and a dev reboot on Crackdown 3. Even if Platinum were having their worst development cycle in their history, at least they would have ended up with a slightly more diverse portfolio instead of just another subpar shooter

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Yeah Phil is also responsible for the decisions that went on when he was involved. If you can remember he was on stage for that infamous TV TV TV announcement.

You might as well blame everyone working in the White House for every bad decision Trump takes.

That's not how big Enterprise works. Satya Nadella has a DRASTICALLY different philosophy from Steve Ballmer. Would you also blame Nadella for the Nokia purchase since he was an MS exec at the time?

Mattrick most certainly made all the big decisions.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man CrapGamer really lost his shit over the scores for this one. Looks like reality is finally setting in for some of the diehard Xbox fans like it did for the rest of us a long time ago.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
lmao. understood.

I'll watch some Twitch streamers I guess, but...yikes.

Yes, I know. But that wan't my point so much as the lack of compelling software outside of Halo, Gears and Forza. Gears 5 doesn't mean shit to you if you're burned out on Gears, you know? Or Forza. Or Halo. If you don't want to touch those properties, what is there on the horizon to play only on Xbox (or PC)? Ori? And then what?

That was the point of the guy in the video and I agree with him. As a 15 year subscriber to Xbox Live, I'm pretty sure that there won't be a 16th year.
I admit it isn't a pretty game, especially at night time. The blacks are crushed and the neon makes shit hard to see

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opinions are subjective.
Anyone can say Halo 5 sucks, or Uncharted 4 sucks.
80+% of ppl here in this thread don't even have Xbox or care about Crackdown 3.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony

Halo 5 >>> Killzone Shadow Fall
Gears 4 >>> The Order 1866
Sunset Overdrive >>> Infamous Second Son
Forza Motorsport 5/6/7 >>> Gran Turismo Sport
Forza Horizon 2/3/4 >>> Driveclub
Killer Instinct >>> Street Fighter 5
Super Lucky's Tale >>> Knack
Ori and The Blind Forest >>> ???
Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Don't matter if someone like a Metacritic 50 or 90+ game.
Do you guys care too much about Scores and if other ppl love something you don't love.
You left out all the good Sony games released since those. 4 of those are from launch alone or first year.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If I had an Xbox One without Gamepass, I would be pissed and agree with those saying that the standards have not been met for this generation.

FTFY. I can certainly imagine it's frustrating for those that bought in at the beginning of the gen but the writing has been on the wall long enough now for people to understand Xbox at this stage late gen ain't for the exclusives sans Forza, Halo, and Gears. If you're buying into the ecosystem specifically for a title like Crackdown 3 that has been known to have been in dev hell for awhile you're not exactly hedging your bets.

All that said it is a bummer this got such low scores but after actually reading some of the text (a novel idea for sure) it still seems like a fun time, and based on numerous glowing impressions from the wrecking crew technical test thread this certainly doesn't seem like the disaster some want to paint it as, particularly in a post Gamepass landscape.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished reading Jeff's review...

"At the same time, Crackdown 3 fits reasonably well on Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass service. Paying $60 for this thing would be downright foolish. It's short and bland on the campaign end and the two multiplayer modes aren't worth your time. But if you're already a subscriber to Microsoft's service and can play this for no additional charge, it's a passable little bit of junk food that might hold your attention for an afternoon or two."

(Is not worth $60, therefore it's a good fit for gamepass)... is a bit more apologetic than I expected from him, although, I expected him to like C3 more since he leans towards the "dumb fun" games.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shout out to Terry Crews, he makes hacky video game writing enjoyable.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I played Crackdown for a total of maybe 10 minutes back in the day, but looking at the gameplay videos of new Crackdown, isn't this just barebones Saints Row 3/4? Same ridiculous city sandbox, minus orb collecting.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Ill probably still get it but wow
Expected more from sumo digital.

After this result I am not going to have any faith in the partnership publishing side of ms and Im glad they are ggetting more of their own first party studios.

Aside from Moon studios almost every partnership this gen has just been a failure.
Well I guess Iron Galaxy made a good KI we will have to pray for Battletoads.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like it's getting what it deserves going off every showing I've seen. A poor game. I'll enjoy trying it on GP, probably happy knowing I won't have paid a penny.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
You might as well blame everyone working in the White House for every bad decision Trump takes.

That's not how big Enterprise works. Satya Nadella has a DRASTICALLY different philosophy from Steve Ballmer. Would you also blame Nadella for the Nokia purchase since he was an MS exec at the time?

Mattrick most certainly made all the big decisions.

I'm sorry, but Phil Spencer, as head of gaming, is responsible for this. Does that mean he did something wrong? I don't know. But he is responsible. And he should make sure this won't happen again. Like.. 2017 - 2019 there have only been three Microsoft Studios games that had good reviews. Halo Wars 2. Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 4. That's.. shocking.

I've been defending a game like Sea of Thieves because I understood why Microsoft put out the game. I understood the strategy.

This game has just been released to get over it. Be done with it. Clean the stain that is 2013-...2019a?

Just look at that multiplayer mode. There is something there, but it isn't fleshed out it lacks features (parties.. mmr.. map vetos.. etc. etc.) and it only scratched the surface of what's possible with the tech they have. If you spend 5 years building awesome cloud destruction tech. Do. Something. With. It.

The campaign is just Crackdown. That's not bad. That's not good. It just doesn't.. add anything. And Microsoft needs excellence. Not another 'okay' game.

Like, I'm gonna enjoy this game. I love the sound design and I think it's pretty. The multiplayer has something for me. But I'm sure I won't be playing this anymore when it's March.

I hope that with a new name a new era arrives for Xbox Game Studios. Sigh.
Phil needs to deliver on the software front.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Continued pattern of trolling and antagtonistic behavior
Was there any doubt that Crap PooPoo Down 3 was going to be anything more than a bust?

I mean this might of been good in like...2010 or maybe even a 2013 launch title but this....ugh....

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Opinions are subjective.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony.

Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Do you guys care too much about Scores and if other ppl love something you don't love.
HAHAHA. Too funny. Got to love people who do anything to try to make their argument valid. Also Super Lucky's Tale I wouldn't say was that much better than Knack and it was certainly worse than Knack 2. Oh wait that's one of the dozens of games you left out of your argument. Wasn't supposed to bring those up.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Would you also blame Nadella for the Nokia purchase since he was an MS exec at the time?
If he was head of the team that handled acquisitions at MS at the time? Partly yes. Spencer was head of 1st party at the time, he's definitely not blame free from MS' poor first party games. He took over in 2009, the last really good year for MS first party was 2010 imo, I blame that mostly on their shift to Kinect, but now that we're at the end of that era of theirs, I definitely think it was also just really poor management all round too, which isn't all on Mattrick.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
You must be confused, only this gen MS bought the rights for the gears IP, it was only available on xbox 360 from the second game forward because MS probably payed for exclusivity, first party titles are the ones made by a developer own by MS, they don't own EPIC.
Gears of War from its inception was published by Microsoft game studios. It is a first party title.

gears was created and owed by Epic for 8 years until MS bought it in 2014.

It doesn't matter. Is Spider-Man not a first party sony title?

No, it was made by Epic, MS bought the rights in 2014.

Your definition of "first party title" is wrong

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played Fable Legends too and disagree completely. Legends also had a higher quality of production.

Fable Legends looked really good from my time with it but I have to echo that there was no fun to be had. Obviously you liked it though so its too bad they canned it for those who might have enjoyed it. Havent touched Crackdown yet.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished reading Jeff's review...

"At the same time, Crackdown 3 fits reasonably well on Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass service. Paying $60 for this thing would be downright foolish. It's short and bland on the campaign end and the two multiplayer modes aren't worth your time. But if you're already a subscriber to Microsoft's service and can play this for no additional charge, it's a passable little bit of junk food that might hold your attention for an afternoon or two."

(Is not worth $60, therefore it's a good fit for gamepass)... is a bit more apologetic than I expected from him, although, I expected him to like C3 more since he leans towards the "dumb fun" games.
Damn

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Ill probably still get it but wow
Expected more from sumo digital.

After this result I am not going to have any faith in the partnership publishing side of ms and Im glad they are ggetting more of their own first party studios.

Aside from Moon studios almost every partnership this gen has just been a failure.
Well I guess Iron Galaxy made a good KI we will have to pray for Battletoads.

Battletoads is not done by MSGP, but by Rare directly.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Opinions are subjective.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony.

Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Poor Spider-Man, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ratchet & Clank, Astro Bot, Shadow of the Colossus, Street Fighter V Arcade Edition, Bloodborne, God of War and so on, none of you apparently exist lol.