• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What's actually sad is that this is the level Xbox zealots in this thread have stooped to. "There is no truth, our perception reality is an illusion created by our brains, so therefore Crackdown 3 is amazing and MS are making great games and if you disagree that's just your opinion, man".
You've never enjoyed a game with a low MC score? You clearly have no interest in this game, so why have you been in here console warring for the whole morning? That's what's most pathetic about this thread.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fortunately for me (and fans of Crackdown) this isn't a mediocre game. A good review score is one thing, but I have several 90+ review score games waiting to be played that will need to wait longer because I will enjoy this game more.

And being on Game Pass is great because it means I get a digital copy right away so my kids and I can play co-op together from my sub.
And that's cool, you do you. I just don't like people trying to spin how this turned out as a positive. You still would enjoy it the same if the general reception was more positive, no?
I also never said there aren't good reasons for game pass, I just think "who cares about the game being mediocre, game pass!" isn't a good one.
The critical reception really has nothing to do with people enjoying games. It's kind of sad that you think this way.
You are in a review thread. Trying to handwave bad reception with "well some people enjoy it" is the weakest form of defensiveness I've seen. I never said people can't enjoy it.
I'm waiting for The Haunting of Hill House of Game Pass. Give me episodic Silent Hill where each chapter is character specific and set in SH2.
That's a good idea! Game pass is the ideal format for episodic games.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
What's actually sad is that this is the level Xbox zealots in this thread have stooped to. "There is no truth, our perception reality is an illusion created by our brains, so therefore Crackdown 3 is amazing and MS are making great games and if you disagree that's just your opinion, man".

Some people enjoy garbage, that doesn't mean it isn't garbage. People having poor taste and low standards is not something I would be using to defend MS.
Maybe you need to take a step back and look at your own posts a bit as they start to sound as wild.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The problem with people saying that "Sony had The Order etc" and "Nintendo had that" is clearly that those are outliners while for the most part delivering heavily on the ~90 rated Range.
Imagine having God of War and Breath of the Wild being in the Top5 most awarded games of all time and thinking about that even in this Gen they might not even stay there because there are from them still some coming that have huge potential to be better like The Last of Us 2 as example.

Outside of Forza and Ori,which is available on Steam too, nothing really is competing.
Even Gears and Halo will probably never make it up there again because these Studios don't seem good enough to catch the spirit of the former entries and reimagine them.

Everything different they try seems to be heavily underperforming too which they seriously should get sorted out.
Their Variety Output is having serious problems.
If it isn't part of the trifecta you can bet it turns mostly out like Crackdown 3 and this was something that already started last Gen and should have been fixed all along.
This was the Gen for them to fix those problems and build trust.

Saving up everything for their Attack in the Next Gen is a stupid thing to say too and Microsoft probably shouldn't think that way either.
Sony released in their "write off Gen" months before the PS4 came The Last of Us and in general many games that existed to build a library and especially consumer trust and mindshare making people confident into the offerings they have in the future.

There speaks nothing against releasing their AAA 90+ rated exclusives again in the NextGen if they have them sitting around right now.
And with Microsoft banking so heavily on BC it should actually be one of the points they should abuse to gain mindshare.
Hell sell the licenses for downloading better textures for 10$ or so in the NextGen if people bought the game on the X1 and were so happy with it that they want to play it again in prettier so it doesn't feel wasted if they release like 3 months before their new console is releasing.

Feb 10, 2018
I think the logic was rather: "more bad games than the other platform holders + not as many good ones = ms not handling devs well.

I can't see how anyone can look at MS' first party output this gen and say with a straight face that has been a good job so far. All I want is for them to do better, mind you. I'm not really here to shit on one platform holder over the other.

I won't engage in this kind of goalpost moving. The game bombed critically, it's as simple as that. Some people also enjoy The Order and Knack, or Federation Force. I think those people have horrible taste, too, and it doesn't change the critical reception being mediocre.

While MS output could be a lot better I would not say its bad.
It's not like people are starved for games on the MS system.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
And that's cool, you do you. I just don't like people trying to spin how this turned out as a positive. You still would enjoy it the same if the general reception was more positive, no?
I also never said there aren't good reasons for game pass, I just think "who cares about the game being mediocre, game pass!" isn't a good one.

You are in a review thread. Trying to handwave bad reception with "well some people enjoy it" is the weakest form of defensiveness I've seen. I never said people can't enjoy it.

That's a good idea actually, game pass is the ideal format for episodic games.
You asked wouldn't people rather play good games to mediocre ones. To a lot of people Crackdown 3 is a good game and they'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It's pretty simple. Not every game is going to be for you. And I just saw that you said Gears 4 sucked lol. Talk about bad taste...

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Maybe you need to take a step back and look at your own posts a bit as they start to sound as wild.

Maybe you're right, but as a MS fan back to the original Xbox it really pains me to see this be the standard they are at now. And it pains me to see people try to defend it rather than hold them accountable and try to make them do better.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
You've never enjoyed a game with a low MC score? You clearly have no interest in this game, so why have you been in here console warring for the whole morning? That's what's most pathetic about this thread.

Because I've been an Xbox fan since the original, and have owned every Xbox release. I'm here because being sycophantic to MS over this stuff is not going to make them do better, and people like you are sending them the wrong message by blindly supporting them and spending your time in a review thread trying to hand wave awful review scores. I don't think I've particularly mentioned the other consoles, so how saying MS are doing bad when they're doing bad can be considered "console warring" I think says more about your attitude than mine.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've bought every system since the Nes, there's always been something a console had that made it worth the asking price.

The Xbox One is the only device i've never owned because it just doesn't have anywhere near enough compelling games to be worth it.

It's basically Forza and indies that make it even remotely interesting, even the Wii U had a better library.

MS's output this gen has been bad, but that's only good news for the future because the only way to go from here is up.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you're right, but as a MS fan back to the original Xbox it really pains me to see this be the standard they are at now. And it pains me to see people try to defend it rather than hold them accountable and try to make them do better.
I'm partially in agreement with you. It's a lower quality output lately, but it's the tail end result of many bad decisions. I've enjoyed to varying degrees the majority of the output, but it's been lesser than the 360 years. I'm looking forward to Gears 5 and then I'm much more so looking forward to next gen, where they've clearly laid their chips. This game never seemed right and while I hope people get enjoyment out of it...shit ain't for me.

I have good feelings about what MS is about to start bringing to the table.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because of third parties, yes. Their output has been on late stage Wii U levels at points in terms of frequency of releases. I'm happy for people who enjoy Sea of Thieves, and I believe them the game has gotten better (even though there are people who say the game has been good from the start, which is a resounding no from me dawg). Personally I won't ever touch it again after that shitshow of a launch.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Even with multiple delays, this is the best they could deliver? This really sucks. Crackdown 1 was so much fun. This franchise had so much potential.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I think it's time to move Joe Staten back to Halo where he belongs. Both projects he has been involved with have not turned out great at all. Recore and now this. Recore I actually enjoyed, and have yet to play Crackdown 3 yet.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Pretty sure a lot of people would have preferred an awesome Crackdown game 2 years ago instead of what we got now. Don't project some peoples posts into one entity.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So because some people on this forum enjoy Crackddown and are enjoying Crackdown 3 they're not holding MS accountable. If Crackdown truly is a bad game, people won't play it for long and word of mouth won't be good. MS will see that.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
Needless to say, I don't subscribe to the concept that Don Mattrick's responsible for this game

This game is the last legacy of that era of Xbox, in the last years of Don Mattrick. I don't think he's personaly responsible, that would be foolish, but we have to admit the state of the division wasn't exactly the same as today.

Microsoft wanted their gaming division to be a PR for their cloud tech with that game, that was the beginning of the mess we get today. I believe the end of the 360 was the darkest time for Xbox in term of freedom of action and maybe financial ressources. I mean look at the OG One, the line up with all that forced Kinect gimmick and tv everywhere.

Thanks to Satya Nadella, the division is strongest than ever in term of position in the company and have money. That makes sense when you realise 1 dollars out of 8 Microsoft make comes from Xbox.

Every people saying this game is either Mattrick's or Spencer's fault misunderstand how a company work. Beeing the head of some team or division or whatever doesn't free you from executing your boss instructions.

Feb 10, 2018

So what would crackdown 3 have to have been for you to be happy?
Have you even played it?
Were you a fan of it?
I've bought every system since the Nes, there's always been something a console had that made it worth the asking price.

The Xbox One is the only device i've never owned because it just doesn't have anywhere near enough compelling games to be worth it.

It's basically Forza and indies that make it even remotely interesting, even the Wii U had a better library.

MS's output this gen has been bad, but that's only good news for the future because the only way to go from here is up.

Define bad.

If I had to score game output from MS I would give MS a 6.4/10 and Sony a 9/10

But on a unrelated note BC, gamepass and having a decent mid gen updgrade has made there system pretty great.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So because some people on this forum enjoy Crackddown and are enjoying Crackdown 3 they're not holding MS accountable. If Crackdown truly is a bad game, people won't play it for long and word of mouth won't be good. MS will see that.

Look, people enjoyed Driveclub even with all it's online issues that took forever to get sorted out. It was unique yes, but was not selling well enough to garner a big enough following to keep the doors open for that developer.

People who enjoy it on this forum are not the mass market, same goes for people who like crackdown. There are aspects people like enough to keep investing time into it, while others they don't see it worth putting in the time, when they could be doing that to other higher quality games.

And I would argue the people wanting to play something else are not in the minority.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Im interested in the dev history with this.

With arguably a an unlimited budget, previous game experience and countless delays the scores are really surprising. Especially as its from Microsoft.

Rand Al Thor commented in his review that he thinks they wasted the first 3-4 years trying to work the Cloud in and that the game is basically a 2y old game, which would make sense seeing the bad reviews.

I know he is pals with Jez from Windocentral so it could be true, but maybe someone can clarify this point regarding the cloud

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Speaking of mental gymnastics......
But he is right. A lot of guys pointed what you said doesn't embrace reality.

When we get reviews and sales from most of the games you pointed they were not good.

QB bombed, Sunset bombed, Gears4 didn't sell like the last ones. MCC had a bad start and stayed in a poor situation for almost 3 years. Halo 5 didin't sell well like old ones.

MS can change that next-gen, but will be really hard, it is not just buy studios. They need to step up their whole development process.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: System Warring
Forza 4 I'll give you, too bad I'm not into racing games.
Sunset Overdrive is 5 years old.
Gears 4 sucks.
Halo 5 is one of the worst Halo games.

And even if we make Metacritic the main point of your argument, which you probably intended to do anyway, that's 4 games. In 5 years.
All I'm saying is they could do way better than that, and that their output has been subpar, both form a critical perspective and my own.

Opinions are subjective.
Anyone can say Halo 5 sucks, or Uncharted 4 sucks.
80+% of ppl here in this thread don't even have Xbox or care about Crackdown 3.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony.

Halo 5 >>> Killzone Shadow Fall
Gears 4 >>> The Order 1866
Sunset Overdrive >>> Infamous Second Son
Forza Motorsport 5/6/7 >>> Gran Turismo Sport
Forza Horizon 2/3/4 >>> Driveclub
Killer Instinct >>> Street Fighter 5
Super Lucky's Tale >>> Knack
Ori and The Blind Forest >>> ???
Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Don't matter if someone like a Metacritic 50 or 90+ game.
Do you guys care too much about Scores and if other ppl love something you don't love.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just think about the internal meetings, where board members were sitting around a table looking at whatever progress the multiple developers had made on Crackdown 3 and saying "yeah let's keep going with this and can Platinum Games"

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You asked wouldn't people rather play good games to mediocre ones. To a lot of people Crackdown 3 is a good game and they'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It's pretty simple. Not every game is going to be for you. And I just saw that you said Gears 4 sucked lol. Talk about bad taste...
You vague menttions of "a lot" is already really telling.
Please take a step back and condiser you are in a review thread saying reviews don't matter because some people enjoy a thing. You are being ridiculously defensive here.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I won't engage in this kind of goalpost moving. The game bombed critically, it's as simple as that. Some people also enjoy The Order and Knack, or Federation Force. I think those people have horrible taste, too, and it doesn't change the critical reception being mediocre.

Wow. Different taste = horrible taste apparently. Heaven forbid someone is different from you.

spectrumfox

Oct 27, 2017
California

When we get reviews and sales from most of the games you pointed they were not good.

QB bombed, Sunset bombed, Gears4 didn't sell like the last ones. MCC had a bad start and stayed in a poor situation for almost 3 years. Halo 5 didin't sell well like old ones.

MS can change that next-gen, but will be really hard, it is not just buy studios. They need to step up their whole development process.

To be fair, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive were not developed by Microsoft. And neither of them were bad games.

Feb 10, 2018

Embrace reality?
A lot of MS games have scored over 80 on meta critic and sold quite well, how does that equal the games are not good?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not trying to spin anything regarding Crackdown though, the game they have delivered is more or less exactly what I would have wanted. I like it, as do others who have played it (including reviewers). I haven't, and I have no desire to go through the reviews to see why some didn't care for it as that serves no purpose. I know what the game is and what I like about it.

Of course, I wouldn't say that. However, there are some games that might be considered "mediocre" critically that I would enjoy. In those cases then the game isn't "mediocre" to me. I subscribe the Game Pass because there are several games that I would have bought regardless, so the subscription is a much better deal for me.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
You vague menttions of "a lot" is already really telling.
Please take a step back and condiser you are in a review thread saying reviews don't matter because some people enjoy a thing. You are being ridiculously defensive here.
Nah I'm being reasonable, reviews don't determine someone's ability to enjoy a game as you're suggesting.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Wow 40+ pages. What has been the general gist of the thread?

Pretty much what all of us have been saying about crackdown as a franchise. It needed to be re-thought without the whole cloud thing getting in the way of development.

If they were able to just rethink and and take a look, at open world games they might have taken the series in a better direction instead of remaking a game from 2007 with a better engine.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've never seen this game hyped outside of the fans of the franchise really. I'm reading its a better crackdown 1. That's exactly what I wanted.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Opinions are subjective.
Anyone can say Halo 5 sucks, or Uncharted 4 sucks.
80+% of ppl here in this thread don't even have Xbox or care about Crackdown 3.
Even with "subpar" games Xbox has one of the best exclusives games per category out there if compared to Sony.

Halo 5 >>> Killzone Shadow Fall
Gears 4 >>> The Order 1866
Sunset Overdrive >>> Infamous Second Son
Forza Motorsport 5/6/7 >>> Gran Turismo Sport
Forza Horizon 2/3/4 >>> Driveclub
Killer Instinct >>> Street Fighter 5
Super Lucky's Tale >>> Knack
Ori and The Blind Forest >>> ???
Sea of Thieves >>> ???
Halo Wars 2 >>> ???

Don't matter if someone like a Metacritic 50 or 90+ game.
Do you guys care too much about Scores and if other ppl love something you don't love.
Ha this post reads like a wet dream from a Xbox fanboy.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Has the DF video been posted yet?

Apparently it has great HDR. That's certainly a way to get me to download it. Looks pretty bad on base XB1 and pretty great on 1X but that's pretty much a given at this point.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The theory I sometimes see is that by taking this generation off they're stockpiling games for next gen. Which honestly sounds ridiculous to me, but hey, if it actually happened the next gen XBox will be pretty crazy.

But that's not how any of this works. It's extremely rare for studios to hit paydirt goty level stuff first time out. If it was as simple as time,money and talent all you'd need to do i poach talent and your garauntee success. Those are the three elements REQUIRED for success, but they do not GARAUNTEE success. You can see a straight line of progress from PS3 to ps4. It didn't just suddenly happen

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow 40+ pages. What has been the general gist of the thread?
Crackdown fans be like
1*AjjSTJG6cqaMcBUSROPw0Q.jpeg

Everyone else trying to tell them its not.