• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Predict Crackdown 3's Metacritic score

• 59 or lower

Votes: 151 7.1%
  • 60-69

Votes: 669 31.6%
  • 70-79

Votes: 1,061 50.0%
  • 80-89

Votes: 200 9.4%
  • fun (90 or higher)

Votes: 39 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I was told on here and elsewhere by fans that Mattrick was to blame for the mess that is Crackdown 3 and Phil Spencer should be exonerated from blame and since I'm not an Xbox fan at all I took their word for it
From here on out though, I will place blame on Phil for any errors that Xbox first party has from here on out, which I don't think will happen as often next gen, thankfully

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, it gas a lower meta than JUMP force

What's the point of comparing two completely unrelated games, though? Totally different genres, expectations, competition. Agents Of Mayhem and the last Saints Row game have 62 and 64 on PS4 respectively. Those are more deserving of a comparison with Crackdown 3, if anything, since they offer a similar approach to an over-the-top open world experience and are at similar ratings indeed.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Forza is a racing game. It greatly benefited from gamepass. I'll be shocked if they add Halo, Gears etc on gamepass. If they do, cool, gamers win. However I find that unlikely
Gears and Halo are already on Game Pass and it's been confirmed all of their first party games will launch into Game Pass on day one.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, for $2 via the gamepass deal, I can still have some good, dumb fun. Scores are disappointing, but I wasn't expecting a masterpiece

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rushed games have bugs, bad frame rates, bad graphics. Fallout 76 was rushed, and actually had a bug where you could walk faster if you looked at the ground.

As far as I can tell, Crackdown 3 has a great frame rate, great graphics (Digital Foundry supports this), and I haven't heard about any big bugs. It wasn't rushed. It is a quality game.
A quality game with a worse metascore than Jump Force

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Even if they don't own them, when they are working on MS games, MS manages the projects. You don't sustain the level of support platform holders need to have without hiring independent developers every once in a while, and the management of those projects falls squarely on MS/Sony/Nintendo.
Yes, and MS literally has a studio dedicated to such projects. People shouldn't throw Sumo under the bus, they took their directions straight from MS.

Crackdown 3 is still good tho. People are just wrong about it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Just now catching up with the Digital Foundry overview, which has a pretty positive take by Dark1x re: the campaign as a whole. I'm glad the presentation came together as well as it did. The final look is more stylish than I think any of the previous games managed.

The PC options and performance tracking look absolutely standout, too.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members
Holy crap, I am absolutely loving what I am playing of this game so far on the Xbox One X! It feels great and looks awesome in native 4K, and the neon colors and such in HDR are really unlike anything that I have played before. The sound is really cool IMO too (wearing headphones). For reference I never played the original Crackdown games, but man this seems like fun. I am already trying to get those orbs too :) One other thing that I will say is that I decided to bump up the difficulty from normal right off the bat so that it felt more challenging, which is what I ended up doing with Spider-Man right away too.

This post brought you by, Microsoft (tm)

Dec 12, 2017
We barely saw anything of Scalebound past the initial gameplay, and only got to hear about the cool RPG stuff from behind close doors reports. Crackdown definitely looked worse 2-3 years ago but was consistently given second and third chances. It was a bad bet.

Looking back at Scalebound, especially that E3 coop demo, it seems like Microsoft was pushing for multiplayer in a game that had no business being multiplayer. God the framerate when they had all 4 players going, and the numbers coming off the enemies like it's Destiny or some shit like that...God I'm glad that thing got cancelled.

I think Platinum / Kamiya got sick of being told what their game was going to be, and Microsoft couldn't see the $$$ in an exclusive like that, so they killed it.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Crackdown 3 was a tentpole game for MS, it was announced as a tentpole game and is one of the very few tentpole games they have. This comparison is utterly ridiculous.

This thread is hilarious, it's like the Xbox mental gymnastic olympics.
Crackdown is not a tentpole release. There's been no marketing for it. Microsoft just wanted to push it out the door so they could be done with it and move on to greener pastures.

Last edited:

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
What's the point of comparing two completely unrelated games, though? Totally different genres, expectations, competition. Agents Of Mayhem and the last Saints Row game have 62 and 64 on PS4 respectively. Those are more deserving of a comparison with Crackdown 3, if anything, since they offer a similar approach to an over-the-top open world experience and are at similar ratings indeed.
Aren't they both higher than cd3? Gotta stop damage controlling to validate that you think it's fun because what else are you gonna tell yourself?

Hey it's cool, I personally think BatmanVSuperman is an all time incredible classic....

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep knew this game would turn out bad. I'm sure we'll have people acting like it's great though when Microsoft brags about some numbers from Game Pass.

Feb 10, 2018
Even if they don't own them, when they are working on MS games, MS manages the projects. You don't sustain the level of support platform holders need to have without hiring independent developers every once in a while, and the management of those projects falls squarely on MS/Sony/Nintendo.

This has nothing to do with my post and the post I replied to.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Would the backlash over a canceled game be worse than the humiliation of some of these reviews....I've read reviews of some games that showed disappointment, but some of these reviews are savage. I can't say if its warranted or not as I have not played it yet, but rarely do we see things like "this never should have been released"
I'd say they did not anticipate the narrative about "This looks bad for the kind of game you should expect for the Game Pass". Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and now Crackdown 3. The only game with a great Score that launched on Gamepass was Forza Horizon 3.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone who was expecting AAA levels of storytelling and graphics clearly never understood what this was.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The destructoid review summarizes my feelings from just seeing the previews for it-just completely unambitious for a crackdown game in 2019.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, this game is reviewing lower than Sea of Thieves, I feel bad for Sumo Digital.

It's not looking good for them. They made Little Big Planet 3 earlier in the gen too, which reviewed 79, whilst the previous titles in the franchise were 95 and 91 respectively. Seems they're biting off more than they can chew. That said, Crackdown 3 is not solely down to Sumo Digital. I believe CD3 is a collaborative effort by numerous studios.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fair, but anybody who followed Crackdown 3's rocky development and ever played past Crackdown games that this was never going to be anywhere near those levels of polish, ambition, technical excellence. Of course Crackdown 3 would be better if it had Forza Horizon 4's graphics, animations on par with the upcoming The Last Of Us 2, the worldbuilding of the Rockstar open worlds, and so on. But that doesn't mean games like this don't deserve to exist or to be played.

Are the reviews saying this? I haven't seen any that have been that harsh.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, my hopes of the campaign being better than the incredibly poor multiplayer sure got dashed quick. What a damn shame this all was...

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And? You really put that much faith in metascore? You actually feel that can really boil a game down to a number? That's sad. People like different things.

Yes, it is a quality game. And it has finished cut scenes.
It just seems like nobody else thinks it's a quality game is all I'm saying. It's a bold claim.

HughJayNus

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 29, 2018
So what's the general consensus? Is it more like Crackdown 1 or is it more like 2? If it's the former, I'll be more than happy.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The game looked archaic and cheap in every way, so Im not shocked by these review scores. Im just shocked that MS put their best salesman face on and said things like ¨We have spent these years making it fun and for real Crackdown fans¨ when they failed to make it a competent product after nearly 5 years.

They had more than enough time to make it significantly better than what they launched

Dec 12, 2017
I have zero interest in Days Gone, but I doubt it will be that bad. I don't expect another The Order.

You're right, but it's more of how it will compare to the rest of Sony's exclusive output this gen that will sink it in the eyes of the public. I'm expecting it to be like high 70s, low 80s. Tough to share the stage with Sony's other exclusives this gen which are consistently pushing 90+. That's like 1st party Nintendo levels of quality.

The Order was underrated...I still want a sequel to that game so badly.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's not looking good for them. They made Little Big Planet 3 earlier in the gen too, which reviewed 79, whilst the previous titles in the franchise were 95 and 91 respectively. Seems they're biting off more than they can chew. That said, Crackdown 3 is not solely down to Sumo Digital. I believe CD3 is a collaborative effort by numerous studios.
it's a shame that lbp 3 was so buggy

the game itself is not bad

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't they both higher than cd3? Gotta stop damage controlling to validate that you think it's fun because what else are you gonna tell yourself?

Hey it's cool, I personally think BatmanVSuperman is an all time incredible classic....

I literally said before I have yet to play the game, but okay then, feel free to accuse me of trying to damage control for a game I may not even like when I'll play it tonight. I'm a reviewer myself so I put thought into the numbers, but they are never a go-to place for me, I'd prefer if people read my thoughts instead of rushing to see what numerical value I approximated to indicate the game's value. An 8 game can definitely be worse than a 7 game given the circumstances. What I'm reading from the reviews is something that I will probably find fun, that's about it. It's on Game Pass, I have it pre-loaded, I lose nothing either way.

Oct 27, 2017
Now it's getting into Metal Gear Survive territory and that's the game I would bring to the "but it's fun, fun, fun" fight although it was poorly reviewed. But of course some people will probably educate me how CD3 is more simple, mindless fun than MGS...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
We barely saw anything of Scalebound past the initial gameplay, and only got to hear about the cool RPG stuff from behind close doors reports. Crackdown definitely looked worse 2-3 years ago but was consistently given second and third chances. It was a bad bet.
Because they had a lot more riding on Crackdown 3 with the Cloud stuff. They were pretty much fucked either way, cancel it and the Cloud stuff seems like a failure, not worth touching anytime soon. Keep trucking along and show it's possible, but just really hard to work with. I think they bite off more than they could chew, but I get why they kept chewing away at it.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Think it reviewed fairly well for what's being offered at launch. Could've been better, but it is what it is.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Scores in the low 60s. A little bit worse than I expected.

The incredibly long development cycle of Crackdown 3 is over now, and everyone can move on. It turns out that Crackdown 3 wasn't the game that finally reveals Power of the Cloud™ .

Some types of games aren't meant to get high scores.

Yes, and we call those types of games "mediocre".

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm just out of touch with modern gaming journalists. I see all this talk about it's "just" Crackdown with a new coat of paint and some new features and that sounds amazing to me. I don't want every open world game to follow the Ubisoft formula.